Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why do all you people who want UCONN to move to another conference not start to look at the future. Sooner or later either the Big 10 or SEC will poach the best teams from the Big 12 and then the thinking will be, "Oh, we should have stayed in the Big East." Remember, less than twenty years ago the malls made stores like Sears and J.C. Penny's obsolete? Now look at what's happened to the malls with the advent of Wal-Mart and Amazon. Sound familiar? Once Clemson and Florida State go to the SEC the ACC will be the Big East South. Let's stay where we are, build our programs within it's own parameters, and remain successful.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is only one resource - money, money, money
So I'm having trouble following your logic you feel we won't allocate resources to move ourselves into contention for a national championship, even though we've won 24 national championships.

Resources you define as being money. But we should stay in a conference that pays us $.10 on the dollar of the Px conferences so we will have less access to "resources?"

Reaction Score
Why do all you people who want UCONN to move to another conference not start to look at the future. Sooner or later either the Big 10 or SEC will poach the best teams from the Big 12 and then the thinking will be, "Oh, we should have stayed in the Big East." Remember, less than twenty years ago the malls made stores like Sears and J.C. Penny's obsolete? Now look at what's happened to the malls with the advent of Wal-Mart and Amazon. Sound familiar? Once Clemson and Florida State go to the SEC the ACC will be the Big East South. Let's stay where we are, build our programs within it's own parameters, and remain successful.
Let's not stay where we are and get more money so we don't become JC Penny.

Reaction Score
Let's not stay where we are and get more money so we don't become JC Penny.
And just far ahead do you think you will be after paying the exit fee and the travel costs to go over halfway across the country to play Kansas State?, And, given the cost and manpower involved, do you realistically think the Uconn football team will ever be able to contend with the better teams in any major conference. And please don't tell me about the single major bowl game we backed into years ago.

Reaction Score
jor
So I'm having trouble following your logic you feel we won't allocate resources to move ourselves into contention for a national championship, even though we've won 24 national championships.

Resources you define as being money. But we should stay in a conference that pays us $.10 on the dollar of the Px conferences so we will have less access to "resources?"
You are referencing basketball. Has any major conference so far invited us because we are a powerhouse in that one sport. Football is the engine that runs the bus. And I haven't heard anyone from the top echelon of Uconn saying "Yes, we will spend the tens of millions it will take to provide us with a national championship caliber team.

Reaction Score
And just far ahead do you think you will be after paying the exit fee and the travel costs to go over halfway across the country to play Kansas State?, And, given the cost and manpower involved, do you realistically think the Uconn football team will ever be able to contend with the better teams in any major conference. And please don't tell me about the single major bowl game we backed into years ago.
It's like saying the Steelers are relevant.

sun

Reaction Score
jor

You are referencing basketball. Has any major conference so far invited us because we are a powerhouse in that one sport. Football is the engine that runs the bus. And I haven't heard anyone from the top echelon of Uconn saying "Yes, we will spend the tens of millions it will take to provide us with a national championship caliber team.
Football recruiting blue-chip ratio 2023.

11799006.png

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
And just far ahead do you think you will be after paying the exit fee and the travel costs to go over halfway across the country to play Kansas State?, And, given the cost and manpower involved, do you realistically think the Uconn football team will ever be able to contend with the better teams in any major conference. And please don't tell me about the single major bowl game we backed into years
All the naysayers logic about adding travel is just ignorant.

Map from University of Connecticut to Creighton University
Creighton - 20 hr 39 min (1,367.4 mi) via I-80 W

Marquette is 1089 miles, much closer

CL82

Reaction Score
jor

Is that how it works you say you're willing to spend tens of millions of dollars and then you get a national championship?

And where exactly do you believe that Connecticut is underfunded and in need of tens of millions of dollars of investment?

It certainly isn't on campus facilities.

Reaction Score
You mean if they get the extra millions from B12 they can't afford to make some trips to "Kansas?" IMO the travel concerns are extremely exaggerrated vs the money they will be getting. If these were real concerns you really think UCONN wouldn't have nixed the idea? Because it doesn't seem like one bit would UCONN not accept the offer. So, you'd have to believe that UCONN was totally incompetent. But I can't believe that - because of their basketball success as just 1 example. And if UCONN were so nervous about the exit fee you really think there would be these talks? Or at least negotiated entering the B12 after a certain amount of time lapsed?

And why are you so concerned about UCONN's projected record in football if they get in? At least the 1st several years the reason why UCONN gets thie invite is because the commish believes basketball is a growing revenue sport. UCONN is not getting an invite becuase of football, so why are you fretting over it?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Wednesday, August 16th 2023

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark says UConn wasn’t added ‘only because dream scenario unfolded’

Another round of paradigm-shifting and to many fans, stomach-churning conference realignment has come to an end, and UConn, despite bringing home yet another men’s basketball national championship last season, remains on the outside looking in at “power conference” membership.

This time though, there was plenty of noise that UConn was finally being seriously considered for an invite into the exclusive club, with Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark reportedly bullish on the Huskies and looking to sell his conference colleagues on their worth.

It may have ended up happening, if not for the Pac-12’s inability to secure a television deal that satisfied its member schools, the Big 12’s ability to convince Colorado to bail, Washington and Oregon’s subsequent decisions to bolt for the Big Ten, and Yormark and the Big 12 waiting with open arms to welcome Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah as the Pac-12 crumbled.

Reaction Score
Wednesday, August 16th 2023

Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark says UConn wasn’t added ‘only because dream scenario unfolded’

Another round of paradigm-shifting and to many fans, stomach-churning conference realignment has come to an end, and UConn, despite bringing home yet another men’s basketball national championship last season, remains on the outside looking in at “power conference” membership.

This time though, there was plenty of noise that UConn was finally being seriously considered for an invite into the exclusive club, with Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark reportedly bullish on the Huskies and looking to sell his conference colleagues on their worth.

It may have ended up happening, if not for the Pac-12’s inability to secure a television deal that satisfied its member schools, the Big 12’s ability to convince Colorado to bail, Washington and Oregon’s subsequent decisions to bolt for the Big Ten, and Yormark and the Big 12 waiting with open arms to welcome Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah as the Pac-12 crumbled.

And then another "dream scenario will unfold" then another . . .

Reaction Score
The since discredited Tyler Summitt said it best: “As long as the sign over the door says ‘Head Coach Geno Auriemma’ UConn will be fine.”

Reaction Score
Do you even follow college football? If you did you would recognize the gap between Uconn and teams like Texas, Georgia, Michigan, Alabama and Penn State. If Uconn gets a crowd of 35,000 they're happy. Penn State is trying to add more seats to a stadium that already holds 100,000.
You mean if they get the extra millions from B12 they can't afford to make some trips to "Kansas?" IMO the travel concerns are extremely exaggerrated vs the money they will be getting. If these were real concerns you really think UCONN wouldn't have nixed the idea? Because it doesn't seem like one bit would UCONN not accept the offer. So, you'd have to believe that UCONN was totally incompetent. But I can't believe that - because of their basketball success as just 1 example. And if UCONN were so nervous about the exit fee you really think there would be these talks? Or at least negotiated entering the B12 after a certain amount of time lapsed?

And why are you so concerned about UCONN's projected record in football if they get in? At least the 1st several years the reason why UCONN gets thie invite is because the commish believes basketball is a growing revenue sport. UCONN is not getting an invite becuase of football, so why are you fretting over it?
I didn't realize I was fretting. I was merely expresssing my opinion. If that insults or bothers you I suggest you stop reading anything but the comic section (unless you may find problems with Peanuts)

Reaction Score
Is that how it works you say you're willing to spend tens of millions of dollars and then you get a national championship?

And where exactly do you believe that Connecticut is underfunded and in need of tens of millions of dollars of investment?

It certainly isn't on campus facilities.

Did you even attempt to understand my post?

CL82

Reaction Score
Did you even attempt to understand my post?
Yes, and it wasn't easy. I find your posts to be a little cryptic, that's why I had questions.

You said that we are tens of millions of dollars short for UConn to be competitive in football. You have not expressed what you base that on or what you believe those tens of millions of dollars must be paid toward. So that's my question.

( I linked to a facilities video so that you would be informed that we actually have excellent on campus facilities for football. I felt like that would be a time saver.)

Reaction Score
A lot of you folks are very youthful and you need to be familar with the history of UConn football and the attitude of the legislature of the State with respect to this University and its sports programs. What you need to do is look at this history going back to the 1950's up to the present time. Yes money seems like it is being spent but not to the point where the University or the State of Connecticut is fully committed to an outstanding college football program. Most P5 conferences, the heads of those conference and the University Presidents and their Boards know that history and that Connecticut is second rate with money. Basketball is king because it really does not drain the State coffers the same way as a first class footall program, a 100,000 capacity stadium placed in a high rent district where the alumni with big bucks can make sizable contributions go to games and have their companies by sky boxes and advertising. Study the last 70 years and you will understand why UConn cannot get through the front door of a P5 conference.

Be upset and angry at what say. Call it an error in observation and be nasty if you wish. But it is what it is and UConn is still in the Big East where it belongs.

Reaction Score
Do you even follow college football? If you did you would recognize the gap between Uconn and teams like Texas, Georgia, Michigan, Alabama and Penn State. If Uconn gets a crowd of 35,000 they're happy. Penn State is trying to add more seats to a stadium that already holds 100,000.

I didn't realize I was fretting. I was merely expresssing my opinion. If that insults or bothers you I suggest you stop reading anything but the comic section (unless you may find problems with Peanuts)
Do you even understand that colleges need certain amount of money to function overall, and to play sports, and to further that play at elite level across a broad spectrum?

IMO you are fretting. That's why your post I previously responded to showed a bit of anxiousness with other posters of issues about going to the B12.

And imo me saying you are fretting has nothing to do with me feeling insulted. How did you dream up that? Why would you think that?

If UCONN is going to get paid a lot of extra money because of their great basketball then to turn it down because of make-beeeive stopping posts such as travel or exit fee in which you'd have to believe that UCONN is comepletely incompetent if UCONN didn't already take this into account- overall - is crazy.

Reaction Score
A lot of you folks are very youthful and you need to be familar with the history of UConn football and the attitude of the legislature of the State with respect to this University and its sports programs. What you need to do is look at this history going back to the 1950's up to the present time. Yes money seems like it is being spent but not to the point where the University or the State of Connecticut is fully committed to an outstanding college football program. Most P5 conferences, the heads of those conference and the University Presidents and their Boards know that history and that Connecticut is second rate with money. Basketball is king because it really does not drain the State coffers the same way as a first class footall program, a 100,000 capacity stadium placed in a high rent district where the alumni with big bucks can make sizable contributions go to games and have their companies by sky boxes and advertising. Study the last 70 years and you will understand why UConn cannot get through the front door of a P5 conference.

Be upset and angry at what say. Call it an error in observation and be nasty if you wish. But it is what it is and UConn is still in the Big East where it belongs.
IMO the context of your post is way-wrong. What you're missing imo is that at some point UCONN can no longer be fully commited to having a great national basketball program without more money.

IMO you are living in the past with the Big East, not recognizing the future and UCONN's current position. UCONN is losing a lot of money - now. They can't keep that up without having money. Once Geno and Hurley go -- you are way over-confident that UCONN can so easily replenish either them or overall team success. The point is - basketball is currently draining the state coffers.

The 18 yar old kid is not as attracted to the Big East that you are imo. And many are going to get a lot more NIL money. And many 18 year olds are going to see the difference between an impeccable campus and one that is struggling. These are just a few of many that you ignore because they aren't that important to you - but will be much more for an 18 yo imo. -- And once UCONN starts that decline-- eventually they will cease to become relevant.

CL82

Reaction Score

Relatively few programs have 100K stadiums. The big house in Michigan comes to mind.

Take a look at my link above to Connecticut's facilities. They are already at a P5 level. But I'm interested in hearing what else you feel the football program would need to be successful.

Reaction Score
Relatively few programs have 100K stadiums. The big house in Michigan comes to mind.

Take a look at my link above to Connecticut's facilities. They are already at a P5 level. But I'm interested in hearing what else you feel the football program would need to be successful.
To be a P5 school you need P5 fans. When it's considered a decent crowd with the 40,000 seat Rent 1/3 full, that is not a P5 atmosphere. That would be a P5 embarrassment.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not really knocking the UConn fans. Several things come into play, the proximity of professional teams, lack of good Northeast college teams, history, etc. If you didn't grow up being a UConn football fan, chances are real good you're not a season ticket holder now. Let face it, CT is a small state, would people from NY, Mass, or RI become UConn fans and season ticket holders? I think not.

UConn did fill the Rent a few times in the first year or 2, but that's as good as can be expected. Is that P5? (We need to start saying P4.)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
To be a P5 school you need P5 fans. When it's considered a decent crowd with the 40,000 seat Rent 1/3 full, that is not a P5 atmosphere. That would be a P5 embarrassment.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not really knocking the UConn fans. Several things come into play, the proximity of professional teams, lack of good Northeast college teams, history, etc. If you didn't grow up being a UConn football fan, chances are real good you're not a season ticket holder now. Let face it, CT is a small state, would people from NY, Mass, or RI become UConn fans and season ticket holders? I think not.

UConn did fill the Rent a few times in the first year or 2, but that's as good as can be expected. Is that P5? (We need to start saying P4.)
The Huskies had a new coach last year. At the beginning of the season, attendance was dismal but by the end of the season it was much improved. In fact, part of Coach Mora’s salary incentives was specifying that attendance increase a certain amount, which he achieved. If the team keeps winning, people will come. The team has years of inertia to overcome but they will get there

782D53A0-7627-468D-A717-2815C4AF16BD.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak