Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Well, if the women's basketball payouts are separated this Fall (as speculated) we may at least START seeing ADs and TV execs change their thinking and start to pay attention to ratings.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Colorado was dog crap (1-11) last season. Thats a pretty good number for such a mismatch. Plus the game was on cable during a time of day when other more enticing matchups were playing concurrently.
Oregon and Colorado were taken by the B12 over UConn. That’s the point. And it’s women’s basketball vs almighty college football.

The UConn women consistently draw large audiences as do the championship winners, the UConn men

2626CAC6-7AD3-47A6-808E-D2DF4228965C.jpeg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Kyle Bonagura, ESPN Staff Writer Aug 10, 2023, 06:51 PM ET

Mountain West mulls next move as ACC decides on Cal, Stanford

As late as yesterday evening, the Stanford/Cal going to the ACC was not completely a dead deal. There's still life in that body.

As Stanford and California await a decision from the ACC about possible membership, the Mountain West Conference remains on standby, ready to respond however those dominos fall.

After the collapse of the Pac-12 last week, the MWC has found itself in a position of strength and stands as a potential landing spot for the remaining four Pac-12 schools: Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State.

"It is about what's happening with the ACC or whoever [Cal and Stanford] are talking to," MWC commissioner Gloria Nevarez told ESPN on Thursday.

If Cal and Stanford are accepted into the ACC -- a possibility that hit roadblocks Wednesday evening -- there is a widespread expectation that Oregon State and Washington State would move to the MWC, sources told ESPN.

sun

Reaction Score
The ACC has a clause with ESPN similar to the Big 12.

A clause in the ACC’s contract with ESPN requires the network to pay the league an equal share for each new conference member.

If those new members do not take a full share, the remaining shares can be distributed to current league members, both offsetting travel costs and maybe even increasing annual revenue. That’s a big maybe. While the contract stipulates what is called a “pro-rata” share from ESPN, it’s unclear if the network is receptive to distributing three more full shares. The network has been selective lately.

“That’s the crux of the issue,” says one ACC official.

Reaction Score
Until the conferences adopt relegation-which WILL happen down the road (Vandy, Rutgers, Northwestern), yes they are as that is what the market bears.
Great point. As these conferences get bigger and bigger you'll need a pro soccer relegation structure.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Florida State is among 4 ACC schools against adding Cal, Stanford​

The sand in the hourglass for Stanford and Cal to find a new home is just about gone. With the rejection of the ACC, the only options left to these two are to join the Mountain West or go independent. After the collapse of the Pac-12 last week, the MWC has found itself in a position of strength and stands as a potential landing spot for the remaining four Pac-12 schools: Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, and Washington State. I think the MW looks a lot better this morning to Stanford and Cal than it did a week ago. ;)

"It is about what's happening with the ACC or whoever [Cal and Stanford] are talking to," MWC commissioner Gloria Nevarez told ESPN on Thursday.

Four ACC schools are opposed to adding Cal and Stanford, a source confirmed to ESPN, but expansion discussions are not completely over as of Friday night.

Though there is no call currently scheduled for the presidents to talk about expansion again, the discussions continue in the hopes that perhaps they can get to 12 "yes" votes, the required number to add teams. Florida State, North Carolina, Clemson, and NC State are opposed, a source said, confirming news first reported by Sports Illustrated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Florida State is among 4 ACC schools against adding Cal, Stanford​

The sand in the hourglass for Stanford and Cal to find a new home is just about gone. With the rejection of the ACC, the only options left to these two are to join the Mountain West or go independent. After the collapse of the Pac-12 last week, the MWC has found itself in a position of strength and stands as a potential landing spot for the remaining four Pac-12 schools: Cal, Stanford, Oregon State, and Washington State. I think the MW looks a lot better this morning to Stanford and Cal than it did a week ago. ;)

Four ACC schools are opposed to adding Cal and Stanford, a source confirmed to ESPN, but expansion discussions are not completely over as of Friday night.

Though there is no call currently scheduled for the presidents to talk about expansion again, the discussions continue in the hopes that perhaps they can get to 12 "yes" votes, the required number to add teams. Florida State, North Carolina, Clemson, and NC State are opposed, a source said, confirming news first reported by Sports Illustrated.

Not surprised about Florida State and Clemson. Surprised about North Carolina and North Carolina State. Would have thought Miami would have been one of the programs to vote against this.

Reaction Score
An interesting segment on ESPN a few days ago when Chris "Mad Dog" Russo and his colleagues were discussing realignment. If you skip to around 1:40 of below video they were talking about UConn to the Big 12 was all but a done deal. Now I realize the talking heads don't know everything but they have access to people that us common folks don't have so they are privy to inside information that we aren't. The way he and colleague said it so matter-of-factly, it was implied that it was a matter of when not if UConn will go to the Big 12. Between this and some other things I've seen/read I can't help but think there must still be something in the works.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
An interesting segment on ESPN a few days ago when Chris "Mad Dog" Russo and his colleagues were discussing realignment. If you skip to around 1:40 of below video they were talking about UConn to the Big 12 was all but a done deal. Now I realize the talking heads don't know everything but they have access to people that us common folks don't have so they are privy to inside information that we aren't. The way he and colleague said it so matter-of-factly, it was implied that it was a matter of when not if UConn will go to the Big 12. Between this and some other things I've seen/read I can't help but think there must still be something in the works.

If I had a dime for every time Russo was wrong, I would be a gajillionaire!!! I would not get too hyped up by his proclamation!

Reaction Score
If I had a dime for every time Russo was wrong, I would be a gajillionaire!!! I would not get too hyped up by his proclamation!
I understand but it wasn't just him alone. Others in the room were agreeing with him.
And it wasn't said in a way where he was making a "bold prediction". He said it matter-of-factly like it was only a matter of when not if.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just watched "Mad Dog" Russo and ladies video and isn't it a little crazy how the talking suits say they heard it from a friend who heard it from a "source" high up in the Big 12 office that UCONN will be admitted to the Big 12 next week?
Nobody knows what's going to happen next, not even the AD's and Presidents of the Big 12 schools!
It's insanity running amuck, the insane are running the asylum!
The Colleges and Universities in the Power Conferences are going to be spending millions of $ paying for travel fees for their 15/20 something sports to travel across the country for games!

Carnac

Reaction Score

I like clowns....these types of clowns. :D

1692021418920.png

not this kind. :mad:

1692021531689.png

Carnac

Reaction Score

USF Athletic Director: AAC evaluating possible expansion amidst Pac-12 chaos​

Even the American Athletic Conference is getting into the act. Michael Kelly said American Athletic Conference members have held several meetings with commissioner Mike Aresco over the past week. The AAC has been active in realignment in recent years and will have new members Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, Alabama-Birmingham, and Texas-San Antonio for the 2023-24 school year.

Reaction Score

USF Athletic Director: AAC evaluating possible expansion amidst Pac-12 chaos​

Even the American Athletic Conference is getting into the act. Michael Kelly said American Athletic Conference members have held several meetings with commissioner Mike Aresco over the past week. The AAC has been active in realignment in recent years and will have new members Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, Alabama-Birmingham, and Texas-San Antonio for the 2023-24 school year.

Jeez ... imagine if UConn had stayed in the AAC....

Carnac

Reaction Score
Jeez ... imagine if UConn had stayed in the AAC....

My reaction to your query is the same as the great Wayne Gretzky's take on Bo knowing hockey in the "Bo Knows" Nike commercial. :cool: IMHO, that was a move UConn really needed to make. UConn being in the AAC was like watching crabs in a barrel trying to get out. :confused:

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Carnac, there is no more "Power 5" conferences. And I seriously doubt that Uconn will ever allocate the resources to move itself into the contender for a national championship. While the other schools are cannibalizing themselves we will be so much better off staying put and giving other teams in the league more motivation to strengthen themselves.
Which resources do you perceive to be lacking exactly?

Carnac

Reaction Score
The PAC 12 presidents had an over-inflated view of their worth in the media marketplace. This guy gets it!! Compliments to HuskyMedic, I had to repost this here. Lots of folks on the women's board don't go to the conference realignment thread.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Story by Evan Bredeson • Monday Aug 14, 2023

Nebraska AD says more conference expansion on the horizon​

Nebraska’s athletic director is sounding the alarm on the future of conference expansion in college athletics. Trev Alberts told Amie Just of the Lincoln Journal Star that he doesn’t believe realignment is anywhere close to being finished.

“History is unkind to conferences that have not had the courage to expand. I don’t believe it’s done. It’s never been done. It’s more likely than not that there will be continued periods of angst. I believe that the next go-around – that’s my basic conclusion – will be far more disruptive than anything we’re currently engaged in. We need to prepare ourselves mentally for that.”
The Big Ten will be adding USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington in 2024. Oklahoma and Texas will be headed to the SEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom