OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Went with Patsy's and was pretty decent, thanks for the heads up on it.

My favorite Patsy's experience is at the original location, where you can drive up 1st Avenue into East Harlem, at the corner of 118th St, and double park for a quick trip to the take-out counter entrance with the coal oven taking up as much space as the rest of the room. Order your simple, plain slices and eat them while continuing north over the Willis Avenue Bridge to the Bruckner Expressway and back to CT. Leaves a better taste in the mouth than paying the Triborough Bridge toll, and costs slightly more or less, depending on how hungry you are (though not counting others in the car).

Reaction Score
One that I'm not sure was mentioned is Berkshire Pub in Torrington........owner changes have taken it back a bit but still a formidable pie and order the salad for 2 as they have a real nice house dressing along with a filling assortment including ham, pepperoni and fresh mozz..........

Oh man....Berkshire Cafe....hung out there when I worked in Torrington for a short time in a past life. Great little pub. Great beer selection. Even back in the old days.

Reaction Score
I'm telling you guys if you want real New York Style pizza you gotta try Adrianna's
Pizza in Naugatuck!! its the real deal!!!

Reaction Score
After 24 pages of pizza, some of you must have gained 25 lbs, held in check only thru a roaring case of the sh!its.

Dude... I've been trying to lose weight. It's been so difficult to not try out some of these places...

On a side note, for any of you skiers/snowborders, if you are ever up at Jay Peak in Vermont, try out Montgomery Pizza and Subs a couple miles from Jay. Went there this past weekend and OMG, the Vermonter Pizza was the best pizza I have ever had. Apples, Maple, and Sausage. Sounds weird, but absolutely incredible.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Village Pizza
Main St.
Old Wethersfield, CT

Greek style pizza that I have grown up on. Order one and tell me there is a better tasting pizza anywhere in the world.

Second place (CT): Harry's Pizza in West Hartford, if you're in the mood for thin crust style.

arch

Reaction Score
Village Pizza
Main St.
Old Wethersfield, CT

Greek style pizza that I have grown up on. Order one and tell me there is a better tasting pizza anywhere in the world.

Second place (CT): Harry's Pizza in West Hartford, if you're in the mood for thin crust style.

Best ever anywhere-Blancaneaux Lodge, Belize.

That should bring this subject to its knees.

But its true. A Francis Ford Coppola resort, he imported the bricks from Italy, uses wood for heat source (700 degrees?) and a family recipe.
I have no idea why we ordered it but as you would expect, we were floored by result.

So if you're in the neighborhood, drop in.

Don't make me regret this post. Put me on ignore, just not the face.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Where is the best pizza east of the river? I've lived in the Manchester-South Windsor area for years and have yet to find a place that has outstanding pizza. With that said, I do like New England Pizza's eggplant pizza. It's just not the New York style that I like most. Oh, and the Pepe's by the mall was expensive and unimpressive.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Illiano's is the best I've had east of the river. It's New York style and they have locations from Middletown to Norwich - the majority of their restaurants are east of the river, I believe.

Reaction Score
What is Greel style??

And east of what river?? Hudson?? Merced??

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
There's this place called Carminuccio's in Newtown. Supposedly, Gourmet Magazine named them one of the top ten in the country. I'm not sure they are among the top ten in Newtown.

Unless I hit it on a historically bad day, the only poll they could come out in the top 10 in, is a poll of the owner's family. It wasn't impressive at all. I wouldn't even call it pedestrian.

Reaction Score
A few things about Greek pizza:

1. It has absolutely nothing to do with Greece
2. Greek pizza is called Greek because of Greek immigrants who came to the country and learned to make it in the style that 90% of the country enjoys and eats. When I point out to friends in Buffalo how bad the pizza is, they respond how much they love it, and when I describe Neapolitan pizza, they think it sounds gross. Buffalo pizza is Greek pizza but it's made by Italians who taught Greek immigrants to make a pizza that is not very good. Confused?
3. Historically, real Greeks have been eating pizza for 2,000 years, but up until the last hundred, they never put tomato sauce or cheese on pizzas, just veggies and olive oil. This is why the influence of veggies on pizza is still so big in Sicily.
4. Sicilian pizza has changed over the years from being very thin crust to very thick, but it's not Chicago-style and it's not Greek. It is fantastic though and still the only thick crust pizza I will ever eat.
5. I don't know what NY Style pizza is; I thought it was Neapolitan but according to that article, apparently it's not. I can only remember eating pizza once in NYC because there is so much good food around other than pizza. What is NY pizza?
6. I lived in Italy for 2 years and never once saw any restaurant or shop that made anything that looked like an American pizza. Frank Pepe was from Naples so I guess that's why we call it Neapolitan pizza. In Italy, you either get sheet pizza from corner stores or else sit down to a personal pizza the size of a Pizza Hut pan pizza (but infinitely better). In terms of the crust, it's in between thin and thick.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but Illiano's is the best I've had east of the river. It's New York style and they have locations from Middletown to Norwich - the majority of their restaurants are east of the river, I believe.

I believe they have a restaurant in Old Lyme, It has been there for quite awhile.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have a new entry for the thread and for me: Bufalina in Guilford. The place is incredibly small (counter with 11 seats), with a limited menu, and they serve only small (12”) pizzas. But they take reservations and it is BYOB. I will simply say that it is hands down the best pizza I have had outside of New Haven or Italy, and it rivals many of the best I’ve had in both. True Neapolitan style, and just about perfect in all ways imo. I saw dozens and dozens of take-out orders heading out the door when I was there, but I’ve only eaten in, which I would recommend, at least on first visit. We brought a few slices home and it was still terrific reheated, but fresh from the wood-fired oven it was sublime. I'll be back. Soon.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A few things about Greek pizza:

1. It has absolutely nothing to do with Greece
2. Greek pizza is called Greek because of Greek immigrants who came to the country and learned to make it in the style that 90% of the country enjoys and eats. When I point out to friends in Buffalo how bad the pizza is, they respond how much they love it, and when I describe Neapolitan pizza, they think it sounds gross. Buffalo pizza is Greek pizza but it's made by Italians who taught Greek immigrants to make a pizza that is not very good. Confused?
3. Historically, real Greeks have been eating pizza for 2,000 years, but up until the last hundred, they never put tomato sauce or cheese on pizzas, just veggies and olive oil. This is why the influence of veggies on pizza is still so big in Sicily.
4. Sicilian pizza has changed over the years from being very thin crust to very thick, but it's not Chicago-style and it's not Greek. It is fantastic though and still the only thick crust pizza I will ever eat.
5. I don't know what NY Style pizza is; I thought it was Neapolitan but according to that article, apparently it's not. I can only remember eating pizza once in NYC because there is so much good food around other than pizza. What is NY pizza?
6. I lived in Italy for 2 years and never once saw any restaurant or shop that made anything that looked like an American pizza. Frank Pepe was from Naples so I guess that's why we call it Neapolitan pizza. In Italy, you either get sheet pizza from corner stores or else sit down to a personal pizza the size of a Pizza Hut pan pizza (but infinitely better). In terms of the crust, it's in between thin and thick.

Awesome post.

NY pizza is thin but not crisp like apizza, big wide slices, a little greasy and folded in half to eat. Most of your pizza by the slice places are imitating NY pizza.

Neapolitan is thin, crisp, with the four basic ingredients. Olive oil, tomato, Mozz, and Basil.

Sicilian is what I like given a choice, though NY style is the best late night food there is.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
In Wolcott alone there a five-six good joints. New Haven Pizza, McBride's, Wolcott Brick Oven to name three.
On a trip to Vegas I found Settebello in Henderson. Oven right from Naples, does it in that style, 'wet'. Outstanding. Go find it if your out that way.

Reaction Score
I've been going to the Cape for 42 years now. We're in Brewster and still looking for great pizza. Any suggestions

Reaction Score
Come back to CT for Pizza. The Cape is for Seafood.

And I've found that a specific kind of seafood is good in Mass. I ate with friends from Cali. at a really good place in Boston recently, and all the traditional New England fish did not appeal to them. I had the best scrod I've ever eaten, but this is decidedly below grade fish for people from Cali.

Reaction Score
I once had a place on the Cape give me cheddar cheese on a pizza. I literally looked around for the love child of Alan Funt and Ashton Kucher with some hidden camera filming my reaction.

Reaction Score
And I've found that a specific kind of seafood is good in Mass. I ate with friends from Cali. at a really good place in Boston recently, and all the traditional New England fish did not appeal to them. I had the best scrod I've ever eaten, but this is decidedly below grade fish for people from Cali.

You should remind them how horrible pizza from California is. ;)

I made the foolish mistake of ordering "Real NY Style" pizza in California, not once, but twice! Worst pizza I had ever had.

Note to self: If someone has advertise "NY Style" or "CT Style" pizza, it probably far from it.
Kind of like you can't get a good bagel outside of the Metro NY area. Or you can't get a good Sourdough outside of California!

When in a specific area, go for what that area does best.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think the whole state of Massachusetts has no good pizza. One of the things I miss most about CT.

It's been 12 years since I lived in Quincy and I know X/O isn't there anymore (they were my favorite) but Santarpio's was good then and should still be since it's been around forever. Problem for me was with the Big Dig going on it was near impossible to get to. Also, there was a bar (pan) pie at a dump townie bar called the Alumni in Quincy that was pretty awesome. In 2002 it was $5.

Note to self: If someone has advertise "NY Style" or "CT Style" pizza, it probably far from it.
Kind of like you can't get a good bagel outside of the Metro NY area. Or you can't get a good Sourdough outside of California!

99% correct. When in Pittsburgh, Mediterra Bagels (and sourdough using an expensive starter flown in to great fanfare) and Harry's Pizza (CT style - they bought the recipe from Harry's in W. Hartford).

Reaction Score
You should remind them how horrible pizza from California is. ;)

I made the foolish mistake of ordering "Real NY Style" pizza in California, not once, but twice! Worst pizza I had ever had.

There is no more misplaced food superiority complex than the idea of the NY bagel. In my experience there is nothing to support it.

Also, you can find good pizza in California, northern and southern. You've just got to know where to look.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom