OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 14 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A place, now closed probably for 10-15 years that was on Main st in East Hartford. Classic pizza with lotsa cornmeal. Can't for the life of me remember the name. Help?

That was Corky's. Made a top notch calzone as well.

Reaction Score
YES.

Sally's has a secret number where you can get through, otherwise good luck.

if the lines at the two wooster places are to long, check out The Spot in the Pepe's parking lot, about as good as Pepe's and often easier to get into.

Really, if you are not living in New Haven, eating at one of Pepe's, Modern, Sally's or BAR, you can not go wrong, it is better than anything you are getting anywhere else. If you want to get picky though, some of those are more right than the others.

Reaction Score
Sally's has a secret number where you can get through, otherwise good luck.

if the lines at the two wooster places are to long, check out The Spot in the Pepe's parking lot, about as good as Pepe's and often easier to get into.

Really, if you are not living in New Haven, eating at one of Pepe's, Modern, Sally's or BAR, you can not go wrong, it is better than anything you are getting anywhere else. If you want to get picky though, some of those are more right than the others.

Yeah I live about two blocks from Modern so that's my go-to, and I do love BAR (though it can be packed) but I won't feel like a true NH resident until I hit Pepe's/Sally's but the lines have thus far kept me from attempting it. Basically, if a line doesn't end in a roller coaster, I'm not that interested. ;)

Reaction Score
1) Nardi (south windsor, formally hartford) by FAR the best sheet pizza ever

Brought back memories of when I was growing up in South Windsor. Their sheet pizza was excellent.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I grew up in Bridgeport in the 50s and 60s and had a host of good pizza places to choose from. If you wanted it oily and dark, Paul's on East Main St. was the choice. C&C on Connecticut Ave was great, and it was affordable in my early teenage years, when dollars could be tough to come by. A small pie (medium by today's standards) was 0.95 plain (with grated parmesan), a buck with scamoz, and a buck-fifteen with imported, smoked, scamoz. Jenny's was OK. Their roast beef grinders were insanely good though.

My first rule for buying pizza when on the road... choose the place with the flickering neon sign that says APIZZA.

These days, my favorite is Roseland in Derby. I have a weakness for thin crust, bordering on burnt.

Reaction Score
Not enough Love for Joey Garlics, Newington. Try getting a table this weekend near 6pm. See what happens. Bring something to read. Maybe this thread.
Joey Garlic in Bristol has a pizza called "The Bronx". It's a cheese blend that is great, but like Pepe's you have to tell them not to burn the crust.

Reaction Score
Went to Lenas First and Last in West Hartford on Park Road a couple nights ago. Real good pizza, grinders and dinners too.
Love that guy! Thanks for the props! Was lurking this thread. Thought it would be too self serving to comment. Hope all you yarders give us a try.

Reaction Score
How has Roseland in Derby, Connecticut barley been mentioned? Easily competes with Pepe's and the other New Haven Pizza. I've seen magazines with this place being put in the top 20 in the country. (Along with pepes)

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Love that guy! Thanks for the props! Was lurking this thread. Thought it would be too self serving to comment. Hope all you yarders give us a try.

Sully, I thought you left there to start up a Hartford restaurant? Or were you branching out?

I haven't had a Lena's pie since '97 and forgot about them. Really great pies.

Toningh, Portofino's in North Madison crushed another quality pie for me and Mrs. Dove. Mozz, mushroom, fresh toms and sausage on half...oh yeah.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Toningh, Portofino's in North Madison crushed another quality pie for me and Mrs. Dove. Mozz, mushroom, fresh toms and sausage on half...oh yeah.

Sounds like you really enjoyed it!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@ Dove and other Madisonites: Does anyone have the skinny on the "New Haven Apizza and Bakery" going in where the driving range is on 79 (across from the Madison Flower Shop)? I asked Dan (from Portofino) about it and he didn't know anything about who is behind it, and he didn't seem too concerned.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@ Dove and other Madisonites: Does anyone have the skinny on the "New Haven Apizza and Bakery" going in where the driving range is on 79 (across from the Madison Flower Shop)? I asked Dan (from Portofino) about it and he didn't know anything about who is behind it, and he didn't seem too concerned.
I work in land use and had to know. I called the Town Hall. This establishment will be take-out and isn't open yet. They received administrative zoning approval and recently had a sign permit approved. Not sure when they open.

Reaction Score
There was a guy on my floor freshman year from Cos Cob who called grinders "wedges". I've never heard that anywhere else.

I'm from Stamford. It is most certainly a wedge.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Just got back from Little Rendezvous in Meriden. Haven't been there in over 6 years and it's still great. Good news for me haha.

Reaction Score
Where is the best pizza east of the river? I've lived in the Manchester-South Windsor area for years and have yet to find a place that has outstanding pizza. With that said, I do like New England Pizza's eggplant pizza. It's just not the New York style that I like most. Oh, and the Pepe's by the mall was expensive and unimpressive.

Reaction Score
I've had Pepe's a couple of times at the Fairfield location and it wasn't nearly as good as the original Pepe's or The Spot. I always thought it was very reasonably priced though, pretty sure they are the same price at all the locations.

Reaction Score
Was in the Middletown area with one of my sales guys and at lunch we went to Mondo..........had to after some of the posts here.

Very good pie, thin and very well done almost to the point of being a bit too crispy if that can be........but really great taste and love the charred crust!! it's up there

Reaction Score
Where is the best pizza east of the river? I've lived in the Manchester-South Windsor area for years and have yet to find a place that has outstanding pizza. With that said, I do like New England Pizza's eggplant pizza. It's just not the New York style that I like most. Oh, and the Pepe's by the mall was expensive and unimpressive.

I like Willington Pizza, but I grew up in Coventry, so I might not have very high standards.

Reaction Score
Went to Modern last night got the marg and a cheese, margarita was great. It was different than most marg pizzas I've had, it looked exactly the same as the cheese but was way better. I went on a wed night at 8 so the place was dead. I've been to all the big 3 but my gf hasn't so I'm gonna take her to each one and let her decide which she likes best. Last time i was at Sally's the waiter was SO bad it actually made the experience better. We spent the entire time just chatting about how much of a dick he was. I tipped 35% just for that reason.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Pizza house in New Haven. That place will never go out of business . I found out the difference between an Italian style pizza and a Greek style pizza. They make a Greek style pizza which has a lighter , crunchy crust kinda like buttered toast. Name any addiction or vice you may have and there pizza is worse. I've probably spent at least 10 grand in that place in my life time. The night manager there is a rude , grumpy , a**hole but people have looked past that for years because the pizza is so good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom