OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 18 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

Reaction Score
Kev,

Is Tolland Pizza still around?

Yes, it's still there. I don't go too often. If I had to grab a quick pizza around here I'd go to Antonio's in Rockville for their Buffalo Chicken pizza.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Agree about pepe's in Manchester by the mall - the best pizza closest to Vernon. It has gotten better since it opened, probably because the ovens are seasoned now.

You didn't ask but if you want a great burger hit Corey's Ketchup and Mustard on Main Street in Manchester.

Reaction Score
Does this mean that I must buy another 12-pack of Tyler Phommachanh / AW??

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It's a bit of a hike from Vernon, but Little Rendezvous in Meriden is tough to beat.

Reaction Score
And if you're willing to go a little farther, Grimaldi's down here in Florida is phenomenal. I swear if it wssnt for pizza I'd have a chance of being in shape but I just love the too much.-

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Got a new place for you all to try that gives Mondo a run. It's a new place called Krust right next to O'Rourkes. Just opened a month or so ago and I'm very impressed.
Tried Krust this weekend. Very good. Nice space, cool bar, decent taps and nice drink selections. Salads and apps were good.

The pizza was definitely better than Mondo imo. In terms of comparison to other wood-fired pizza places, I give the edge to Bufalina in Guilford. But Krust had some interesting toppings (e.g., roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted garlic, interesting cheeses, pancetta, etc.). The quality of the pie, bar offerings and service will definitely get me back there again. Very good addition to the burgeoning Middletown food scene.

Also tried Colony Grill pizza for the first time last week. Went to the Fairfield location. Except for the "stingers" (i.e., roasted whole jalapenos), I don't get the buzz over the hot oil style of pie. I thought it was pretty flavorless. Glad I tried it but doubt I will again.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Geico's Top Ten Pizzas :oops:
1. Grimaldi's, Brooklyn
2. Keste, NY NY
3. Pepe's, New Haven
4. Metro Pizza, Vegas
5. Spacca Napoli, Chicago
6. Buddy's, Detroit
7. Delfina, San Francisco
8. Ken's Artisan, Portland
9. Mozza, Los Angeles
10. Burt's Place, Chicago

These lists always are so wrong.

Reaction Score
Was in Connecticut for 3 weeks. Along with the usual, try out Eli's in NH/Hamden. If you like thin crust, this is the one!

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
The only good pizza joint in Cincy, Apontes, just got done with a visit by Restaurant Impossible. Pies went from $14 to $22 with no appreciable difference in quality and they took a bunch of really good food off the menu.
Unless they change back, I predict they'll be OOB in 6 months.
Whats a good large with 2 toppings cost back home?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
How could anything be any good in Providence? I suppose Cooley eats there too

LOL..............

C'mon had to be said.......:D
This will certainly bring sean and sdhusky to the thread and will double the pages.:D

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ed Cooley needs a hat!
You and @mauconnfan are doing your best to get this into a flaming pizza thread! The two of you are mummus.:)

Reaction Score
How could anything be any good in Providence? I suppose Cooley eats there too

LOL..............

C'mon had to be said.......:D

Haha there actually is a picture of Cooley when he was there and a picture of Pauley D from Jersey Shore lol.

Reaction Score
Any of you convicts from the Cheshire area? I keep driving by the new Cliff's pizza across from Town Hall, and there is NEVER ANYONE IN THERE. What's up with that?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just tried pizza from Madison's The Red Tomato...meh.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You should remind them how horrible pizza from California is. ;)

I made the foolish mistake of ordering "Real NY Style" pizza in California, not once, but twice! Worst pizza I had ever had.

Note to self: If someone has advertise "NY Style" or "CT Style" pizza, it probably far from it.
Kind of like you can't get a good bagel outside of the Metro NY area. Or you can't get a good Sourdough outside of California!

When in a specific area, go for what that area does best.

CA Pizza is mostly awful (just chains), with two exceptions. Tomatina and Pizza My Heart. Both are very good.

I didn't find the seafood in CA any better than in New England, unless you like Asian fusion stuff. I think the Cape has good seafood, if you actually like fish that's been cooked and isn't wrapped around rice. Best shrimp and crab I've had is down in Beaufort, South Carolina, all fresh caught.

There is perfectly good pizza in MA, if more difficult to find than in CT. In particular, the local grinder/pizza places that every town has 2-5 of are much less consistent in MA than they are in CT.

San Francisco does make the best Sourdough. It's the salt air fog.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just tried pizza from Madison's The Red Tomato...meh.
Did you eat in or take out? I find that their pizza in particular does not travel very well. Their pizza box steams the pizza. Eating in is much better imo. Still not New Haven, but good.

For where you are, you're not going to do better than Portofino for takeout.

Have you been to Bufalina in Guilford yet? I've been back a few times since the initial visit I posted about here and it has been consistently great each time. I still think it's right there with the best pizza I've had in New Haven and Italy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom