OT: - Best Pizza in CT | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Pizza in CT

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I had the best scrod I've ever eaten, but this is decidedly below grade fish for people from Cali.

It's different fish- ITS A DIFFERENT FLIPPIN' OCEAN!

Reaction Score
Got a new place for you all to try that gives Mondo a run. It's a new place called Krust right next to O'Rourkes. Just opened a month or so ago and I'm very impressed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There is no more misplaced food superiority complex than the idea of the NY bagel. In my experience there is nothing to support it.
Don't agree with this. I don't eat nearly as many bagels these days, but I've eaten plenty from all over, and imo the two consistently best I've had were H&H and Ess-a, both classic NY bagels. I've always heard that "it's in the water" and I have no idea if that's good or bad, but I think it's probably true. Each is very different in style. H&H (which was delivered daily and sold at least as far north/east as Madison until at least last year) was the dense style, and their "everything" bagel (or, better yet, bagel stick) is my favorite bagel on the planet and nothing comes close. Their bialy was damn good, too. Ess-a has excellent crusty, fluffier-style bagels. Again, their "everything" and bialy are my favorites.

Reaction Score
Don't agree with this. I don't eat nearly as many bagels these days, but I've eaten plenty from all over, and imo the two consistently best I've had were H&H and Ess-a, both classic NY bagels. I've always heard that "it's in the water" and I have no idea if that's good or bad, but I think it's probably true. Each is very different in style. H&H (which was delivered daily and sold at least as far north/east as Madison until at least last year) was the dense style, and their "everything" bagel (or, better yet, bagel stick) is my favorite bagel on the planet and nothing comes close. Their bialy was damn good, too. Ess-a has excellent crusty, fluffier-style bagels. Again, their "everything" and bialy are my favorites.

Yeah, I just don't see it. My office is a couple blocks from the Ess-a-Bagel on 51st and 1st and, to me, it's no different than any other bagel I've had from any other bagel chain anywhere in the country. H&H doesn't do it for me either. It's a perfectly fine bagel but I was at a meeting in San Diego last week and the bagels from Noah's or wherever that they had in the conference room were no worse than those two spots. The best bagel i've had in NY is probably Bagel Hole in Park Slope. In Manhattan probably Murray's.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah, I just don't see it. My office is a couple blocks from the Ess-a-Bagel on 51st and 1st and, to me, it's no different than any other bagel I've had from any other bagel chain anywhere in the country. H&H doesn't do it for me either. It's a perfectly fine bagel but I was at a meeting in San Diego last week and the bagels from Noah's or wherever that they had in the conference room were no worse than those two spots. The best bagel i've had in NY is probably Bagel Hole in Park Slope. In Manhattan probably Murray's.

Murray's, yes. Never really got H&H or Ess-a-Bagel as holy grails. Still, many non-transcendant NYC bagels are much better than most elsewhere. Always choose "what's still hot."
Other suggestions: Slim's or Bagel Oasis in Queens going out the LIE.
Bagel Hut was my favorite in Great Neck, but there were others.
Nothing in CT yet as good, though Village in Fairfield when hot reminded me of NY bagels, like some coal oven NY pizza reminds me of better New Haven & such. Felt the same way at the two places in Cheshire; definitely points for credible product, but not the same.

Reaction Score
I live in Bangkok now, and I would settle for the worst NYC bagel at this moment. At least there is edible pizza, but nothing like or as good as Pepe/Sally/Modern/Bar

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gave Mondo a try yesterday after reading about it here. Decent pie. Had the specialty pie with fresh mozz, arugula, prosciutto and truffle oil. All ingredients were solid, fresh and in good amounts, and crust was very good for non-New Haven pie. Curious about their non-pizza offerings, especially the wings. Paninis looked very popular, but also looked like a lot of bread. Nice place though. I'll be back.

Reaction Score
I was at Mike's Apizza in West Haven last night. Great pizza. Had some sausage and pepper and white clam pizza -both very good. Great service too.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geico's Top Ten Pizzas :oops:
1. Grimaldi's, Brooklyn
2. Keste, NY NY
3. Pepe's, New Haven
4. Metro Pizza, Vegas
5. Spacca Napoli, Chicago
6. Buddy's, Detroit
7. Delfina, San Francisco
8. Ken's Artisan, Portland
9. Mozza, Los Angeles
10. Burt's Place, Chicago

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So I'm coming in from Los Angeles for the Cancer Walk and want to get pizza advice from the hugely long thread.

First of all, I'll be east of the river in Vernon so traveling to the coast is probably out of the question, but not definitely.

First thing, I'll get in Thursday afternoon after flying all night and I just want to pick up a sheet pizza like Lantaris of old. I'm thinking from the thread that would be Giovanni's in Newington. Let me know if there is a better Lantari's place.

Second, I've seen lots of mention of clam pizza from some place but it's only good some months: 1) is this a good month? 2) where is it?

lastly if I just want some good pizza in the Vernon area (10 or 15 miles in any direction) - what's best?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There's two ones I like near Vernon. Pepe's near the Manchester Mall (the sister shop to world renowned Pepe's in New Haven--though not quite as good).

And I'm having a brain fart on the second. Will get back to you.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Willington Pizza's clam pie is famously great. Also echo the sentiments on Pepe's Manchester.

Reaction Score
Giovanni's IS the exact same pie as Lanteri's used to be. If that's what you want, that's what you'll get.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mulberry Street Pizza on Main St. Manchester is real good.

Reaction Score
Fishy mentioned this place with a 10 dollar dinner box in the last thread, forgot the name but you get real cheese I think.

I live in Plantsville so Zingerellas is my go to place. It's 2 min from my condo and pretty good.

Reaction Score
This won't help Jleves out but I never chimed in the first thread. In the greater Danbury area I like Franco's Pizza and My Place Restaurant inNewtown. One town over in Southbury, Dipalmas Pizza and Julios Wood Fired Pizza are very good New York Style pizzerias. I also like Carlito's of Woodbury. If you're ever in that neck of the woods and prefer New York style pizza, those are some good places to visit.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There's a picture of Ray Allen in Willington Pizza. I heard their pizza is good too.

Reaction Score
This won't help Jleves out but I never chimed in the first thread. In the greater Danbury area I like Franco's Pizza and My Place Restaurant inNewtown. One town over in Southbury, Dipalmas Pizza and Julios Wood Fired Pizza are very good New York Style pizzerias. I also like Carlito's of Woodbury. If you're ever in that neck of the woods and prefer New York style pizza, those are some good places to visit.

Aren't those a little out of the way from him being "east of the river"?

Reaction Score
Aren't those a little out of the way from him being "east of the river"?
Yes, if you read the first sentence of my post, I said it wouldn't be of much help to Jleves. I never posted in the original thread so I did this time in the event anyone from the board is in that area and looking for good pizza.

Reaction Score
Ever since Harry's Pizza opened in Glastonbury I haven't gone anywhere else. Mind you, I am traveling from Tolland.

Reaction Score
I forgot to mention if you go to Dipalma's in Southbury you could even run into Jenny Dell visiting her family.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ever since Harry's Pizza opened in Glastonbury I haven't gone anywhere else. Mind you, I am traveling from Tolland.

Is that the same Harry's from West Hartford? Because that's a good pie. As a bonus they have a world class homemade proprietary salad dressing.

I'm a little weird, but for a slightly different flavor, I absolutely love LUNA pizza (several locations incl W Hartford). It's in my top 5, though I recognize it's not exactly traditional.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom