Bazz was too Lazy, to walk to the Fridge. That's why he was Hungry. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bazz was too Lazy, to walk to the Fridge. That's why he was Hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did anyone see Callipari on CNBC yesterday morning? Guy is some talker, it's easy to see why he recruits so well. Anyway in regards to this he explained the situation, when these guys are training they have one team meal, the athletes ARE NOT allowed to bring any food home with them, or even snacks or anything. If you have money obviously you can buy whatever food you want to eat, but if you don't have any money there is no free or school provided food for you at night after that last meal. I thought when Shabazz said it initially it was bullshyt, but after hearing the explanation it definitely makes sense why athletes say they've gone to bed hungry.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see Callipari on CNBC yesterday morning? Guy is some talker, it's easy to see why he recruits so well. Anyway in regards to this he explained the situation, when these guys are training they have one team meal, the athletes ARE NOT allowed to bring any food home with them, or even snacks or anything. If you have money obviously you can buy whatever food you want to eat, but if you don't have any money there is no free or school provided food for you at night after that last meal. I thought when Shabazz said it initially it was bullshyt, but after hearing the explanation it definitely makes sense why athletes say they've gone to bed hungry.

I disagree on how it is easy to see how he recruits so well. Is it obvious the guy can "sell"? Yeah sure he can……but with his past and his inability to coach the best to more championships, why would you as a parent listen to the sales pitch? Do they do their homework on his 2 FF's at UMass and Memphis and how they worked out? Do they know his teams at UMass once were headlined in the Globe for having the vast majority of the roster under a 1.0 GPA and some not even going to class? He acts like he is like KO and JC but he's not close. You can look munerous times during TO's and his one and done's arfe not even listening to his pitch on the bench…….

He can talk, but that's most of what it is. Sorry, he's much more into himself than he is this players and if parents can't see that they're missing the boat! But that's just me…..

Reaction Score
I try to be objective and not a completely biased UCONN fan, the guy gets top recruits and reloads year after year, hate him if you want, but don't make a statement that is blatantly wrong. Anyone that can reload like that year after year can recruit, how can you even argue that? And watch the CNBC interview if you don't think he comes across well, I don't like the guy but it is what it is.

Just a thought...maybe the parents do their homework by seeing UK has more players in the NBA than anyone else and not worrying about how much their kid goes to class when they are only going to college in the first place because they can't go right to the NBA

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought when Shabazz said it initially it was bullshyt, but after hearing the explanation it definitely makes sense why athletes say they've gone to bed hungry.

I know what you are saying. Talk about using bringing attention to an issue.

Reaction Score
I've got a friend who works with him at CBS and claims that off air, he is a huge Shabazz fan. I'm sure plenty of these guys have an on-air persona but I just find it hard to reconcile how negative he is towards UConn and Shabazz with what I hear he says off air.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You noticed Jabari Parker agree with him on ESPN? How would some "fan" possibly have a better sense than the players themselves?

Not only that, but the NCAA actually changed their rules in favor of the athletes. When those dinosaurs do something like that, you know it was an issue.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh, please. If he called a white kid lazy, would that smack of racism too?
But he didn't did he? A kid say he was hungry and his reply was he's too lazy to walk to the fridge. Kind of non sequiter don't you think?

Gottlieb is a C U Next Tuesday- but he is not a racist.
I'm sure you are right. Yet his gut reaction was to call a hungry kid "too lazy to walk to fridge." It just strikes me as odd.

Please stop that.
Um, no, I don't think that I will. It's not a go to refrain for me. I think Gottlieb owes Bazz an apology. Of course the list of people that he owes apologies to is likely to be a long one.

Reaction Score
I go to college and am friends with mostly athletes and a few basketball players. They already have as many swipes into the dining hall as they want and can get free food from any campus run snackbar thru their student card/account. Smaller sports so not get this privelegde. Just because they cannot order takeout and mcdonalds at will, doesn't mean they're starving.

Ah, so your friends who play tennis at Mt. Ida get free food from a snack bar so these Duke and UConn basketball players are full of sh it. Hard to argue with logic like that.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not only that, but the NCAA actually changed their rules in favor of the athletes. When those dinosaurs do something like that, you know it was an issue.

Or they are feeling under siege. Bazz already beat them up on the APR hypocrisy, Northeastern athletes have the right to unionize (for the time being) and the P5 has effectively accused the NCAA of victimizing athletes for profit. The timing of Bazz's statement was a the last surge in a perfect storm.

CL82

Reaction Score
I go to college and am friends with mostly athletes and a few basketball players. They already have as many swipes into the dining hall as they want and can get free food from any campus run snackbar thru their student card/account. Smaller sports so not get this privelegde. Just because they cannot order takeout and mcdonalds at will, doesn't mean they're starving.
As I understand the NCAA rules, which admittedly is not very well, that might be a violation.

Reaction Score
Bazz was simply sticking the NCAA in the eye with his comments. I think we all know that UCONN players do not go hungry. Lets just enjoy the fact that Bazz has a flair for drama- as I said earlier- the NCAA makes not sense half the time why should Bazz? bas is awesome- love that kid.

CL82

Reaction Score
Bazz was simply sticking the NCAA in the eye with his comments. I think we all know that UCONN players do not go hungry. Lets just enjoy the fact that Bazz has a flair for drama- as I said earlier- the NCAA makes not sense half the time why should Bazz? bas is awesome- love that kid.
I don't think so. He was being honest. I don't think that his comment was planned or the reaction to it anticipated. I'm sure UConn athletes do go bed hungry. My college aged son is never full, he just stops eating from time to time. The point he made is he was hungry and lacked the ready cash to get food, while the NCAA was profiting from officially licensed apparel and games with #13 on a UConn men's basketball jersey. It's valid point which has now been addressed. I agree with your unstated point that UConn players are in no way malnourished.

Reaction Score

What about those guys that got an "NCAA violation" for eating slightly too much pasta? How could that be a violation but not what you're describing?

Reaction Score
His argument is that a white kid wouldn't be called lazy in this situation.

My argument is that it's racist to label a comment about being lazy as racist. Racism is a two-way street. Why can't we assume that he thought Shabazz was just being lazy without trying to make it something else?

Reaction Score
Gottlieb also said that Shabazz was wearing 150$ Beats Headphones and had his Mom, at most games " so there's no way he should be Hungry "

just moronic comments, in my opinion.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
My argument is that it's racist to label a comment about being lazy as racist. Racism is a two-way street. Why can't we assume that he thought Shabazz was just being lazy without trying to make it something else?

There's no proof it was racist. But in these situations, black kids get called lazy much more often than white kids. It's a societal problem more than "Doug Gottlieb hates black people!"

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
And "wanker" is (also) a British term for balloon knot. :D
2408atg-w484h484z1-8440-you-are-a-wanker-anchor-tank.jpg

Reaction Score
My argument is that it's racist to label a comment about being lazy as racist.

Welcome to 2014, where it's racist to mention racism. Well done, O'Reilly and Limbaugh.

(Incidentally, Gottlieb has been riding Shabazz's jock all season, so I have no idea why he's so outspoken on this, but I doubt it has anything to do with racism. Although it's pretty hard to deny that black athletes and white athletes are talked about in vastly different ways. I have a hard time imagining O'Reilly asking a college hockey coach some of the dog whistle nonsense he was asking Calipari about the other night.)

Reaction Score
I try to be objective and not a completely biased UCONN fan, the guy gets top recruits and reloads year after year, hate him if you want, but don't make a statement that is blatantly wrong. Anyone that can reload like that year after year can recruit, how can you even argue that? And watch the CNBC interview if you don't think he comes across well, I don't like the guy but it is what it is.

Just a thought...maybe the parents do their homework by seeing UK has more players in the NBA than anyone else and not worrying about how much their kid goes to class when they are only going to college in the first place because they can't go right to the NBA
Or maybe UK pays the best? Has the best perks? No school work needed? What else is a one-and-done looking for?

CL82

Reaction Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom