B1G | Page 80 | The Boneyard

B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not s Rutgers basher (both my High School Co-Capt. went there in the 60's.
I think Rutgers has terrific potential and actually is a ticket for UConns inclusion in the B1G.
The B1G is built on rivalries. UConn Rutgers has potential to rekindle NYC interest in College football.
Hating each other is part of the fun.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I agree and it just feel's wrong that the ex BE's last large state school's left out there dangling and having to sweat it out when anybody familiar with east coast collegiate sport's know's realignment won't be finished/complete until UConn is part of the equation!I think Swofford was a fool when he had the oppurtunity to assure the ACC's place by locking up NYC with RU and UConn instead of the silly move of tip toeing around with SU and Pitt?Sound's like something BC would have dreamed up as a defensive measure against being upstaged by their neighbor UConn!! If BC had a local rival it would have stirred more interest in them!The ACC seem's to make too many foolish move's for solid state school's who fit best in the B1G! I'm with ya AZHusky!

Reaction Score
I don't know how many other ways to say this: college leaders in many other places view BC differently. They're looked at as a more valuable piece than what you're acknowledging. They have excellent academics, have a good amount of historical football tradition (compare their history to Rutgers), and are located in a massive market. And I'll just have to disagree about the TV ratings, as the data that I've seen indicates that they're generally a positive draw compared to similarly situated schools. So, BC basically scores well on all of the objective metrics that drive conference realignment except for fan attendance, and in today's world, that honestly doesn't matter as much as TV value. I'm not saying that the Big Ten would want BC over UVA or UNC, but believe me that it's far from outlandish.

We've been tracking BC ratings here for over a decade. They are abysmally bad. When I say rodeo beats it, I'm not joking. It's true. If the metric is TV, BC fails. Badly fails. No one watches them on TV. This can't be emphasized enough. I don't know what the presidents are looking at, maybe they don't care about TV. Maybe they invited Maryland and Rutgers for their football history and not the TV.

BC has been a 30 year story for me. I was there right after the Flutie years (moved to Boston in mid 80s), lived off the B line on Commonwealth, wife is a BC grad--I know well where the school is coming from, and I know how they operate too and it's not all groovy either. I imagine B1G schools wouldn't refuse to hire faculty members who are gay, for instance. Nonetheless, I do have a finger on the pulse of their popularity in Boston. To say the support is tepid is putting it mildly.

Reaction Score
I agree and it just feel's wrong that the ex BE's last large state school's left out there dangling and having to sweat it out when anybody familiar with east coast collegiate sport's know's realignment won't be finished/complete until UConn is part of the equation!I think Swofford was a fool when he had the oppurtunity to assure the ACC's place by locking up NYC with RU and UConn instead of the silly move of tip toeing around with SU and Pitt?Sound's like something BC would have dreamed up as a defensive measure against being upstaged by their neighbor UConn!! If BC had a local rival it would have stirred more interest in them!The ACC seem's to make too many foolish move's for solid state school's who fit best in the B1G! I'm with ya AZHusky!

You're absolutely right that Delany ate Swofford's lunch by locking up the mid-atlantic while the ACC took Pittsburgh, CNY and Newton, Ma.

Reaction Score
Back when BC was in the process of losing 27 games in a row to UConn, Bob Ryan came out with an article saying that internally, BC feared becoming irrelevant in football as well as basketball because it couldn't compete with the state schools. at the time, irrelevancy had already happened in terms of TV interest. Then came the falloff in support.

BC versus Maryland:

bdhdeqcccaarxwd-large-480x360.jpg

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We've been tracking BC ratings here for over a decade. They are abysmally bad. When I say rodeo beats it, I'm not joking. It's true. If the metric is TV, BC fails. Badly fails. No one watches them on TV. This can't be emphasized enough. I don't know what the presidents are looking at, maybe they don't care about TV. Maybe they invited Maryland and Rutgers for their football history and not the TV.

BC has been a 30 year story for me. I was there right after the Flutie years (moved to Boston in mid 80s), lived off the B line on Commonwealth, wife is a BC grad--I know well where the school is coming from, and I know how they operate too and it's not all groovy either. I imagine B1G schools wouldn't refuse to hire faculty members who are gay, for instance. Nonetheless, I do have a finger on the pulse of their popularity in Boston. To say the support is tepid is putting it mildly.
I don't disagree with anything you just said upstater. But if there are people out there whose perception is otherwise... then there's still plenty of work to do to make that known. If the "truth" was only based on what we say here on the BY then CR would have gone a whole lot different, no?

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with anything you just said upstater. But if there are people out there whose perception is otherwise... then there's still plenty of work to do to make that known. If the "truth" was only based on what we say here on the BY then CR would have gone a whole lot different, no?

I don't think it would have gone differently because Swofford was playing checkers while others were playing chess. Our problem is that Marinatto was doodling in coloring books while Swofford was playing checkers.

I doubt anyone else would be stupid enough to make the same mistake with BC.

Reaction Score
You reference ratings Clemson and FSU. My question is would the locals be more interested in a match up with tOSU or Penn St? Is part of the apathy because they don't relate to the other team and the teams they do relate to are not high profile?

Would a BC vs PSU game have higher ratings in Boston?
Would a BC vs tOSU game have higher ratings in Boston?

I don't get the feeling that Red Sox vs the DRays is a rivalry. Does that extend to Other sports? If they don't feel you "area" is a threat from a pro perspective to they dismiss you from a college perspective?

Again, I am not a BC supporter. Wouldn't want a religious school as part of the B1G. To many different politics involved.

pj

Reaction Score
I do have a finger on the pulse of their popularity in Boston. To say the support is tepid is putting it mildly.

I live in Boston also. Except for members of the BC community (alumni, employees, Catholics who attend St Ignatius), there is zero interest in BC. It is on the level of Wellesley College, Brandeis, or Tufts as far as frequency of appearance in conversation.

pj

Reaction Score
You reference ratings Clemson and FSU. My question is would the locals be more interested in a match up with tOSU or Penn St? Is part of the apathy because they don't relate to the other team and the teams they do relate to are not high profile?

I don't get the feeling that Red Sox vs the DRays is a rivalry. Does that extend to Other sports? If they don't feel you "area" is a threat from a pro perspective to they dismiss you from a college perspective?

Again, I am not a BC supporter. Wouldn't want a religious school as part of the B1G. To many different politics involved.

When the Red Sox play in Tampa, 2/3 of the fans are Red Sox fans. It is like that for BC on TV. When they are on TV, 4/5 of the audience are rooting for the other team. There were a lot of graduates from other Big East schools in Boston and that influenced local interest in BC games when BC was in the Big East; there are very few Bostonians who went to college in the south, and so interest dropped off when they joined the ACC. But that interest was always more in the competition than in BC itself.

There are more B1G graduates in Boston than ACC graduates, so BC would benefit from a move to the B1G. But how would the B1G benefit? BC brings little, and the Michigan/OSU/PSU fans in New England could as easily make the trip to East Hartford to see their schools play UConn. More easily, if you want to tailgate.

Reaction Score

First off, Red Sox - DRays IS a rivalry. But the gist of it is that BC is a relatively small school in a suburb, and it doesn't connect with the majority of people in town. This is a city with many colleges and universities. In that sense, it's unlike most markets. Northeastern, BC, BU, MIT, Harvard, Tufts, Suffolk, UMass-Boston, Emerson, etc. I bet BC-PSU would do decently--better than BC-OSU, but there is simply little interest in college sports. That goes for basketball and hockey as well (outside of the Beanpot, which is the only event that gets people interested in college sports in Boston). But that's only 2 days of the year.

The fans not only don't relate to the opposition, they don't relate to BC. It's not Boston's team. If Umass-Boston were the main campus instead of a branch, I bet then you'd have more interest in college sports.

Reaction Score
We hate BC more than any other school, no doubt. At the end of the day, I would love to see them in in the B1G w/ us. It would lock up the Northeast for the B1G as well as two major tv markets and solidify a BB Tourney in NYC!! I see a regional rivalry between us, Rutgers and BC as nothing but positive. Throw in Penn State, and we've got a nice base to help continue to grow our football base. As polarizing as this would be, it would get me more excited than joining with Virginia.... That being said, *K BC!!!!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Any school would have higher ratings when they play PSU or TOSU. upstater isn't kidding. Rodeo out drew BC in Boston. Yes, BC shot itself in the foot when it jumped to the ACC. It joined predominatly southern schools and had no regional rivalry. To be sure, though, BC wasn't even close to owning its market before that. That is why when the ACC cited BC as capturing Boston and the northeast market everyone in this area knew the ACC was buying a bill of goods. frankthetank cites the Flutie years and slightly higher ratings than the norm when BC faces top flight schools. The Flutie years were an aberration and I'll opine that ANY school that has a Flutie-like player will enjoy a massive ratings bump. I'll also grant that Boston may muster some interest for BC against a FB power. But they're not watching because of BC. I'd say if you want to pick a team you'd at least want to pick a team that is strong in its own market and doesn't have to rely on a fleeting name or quality opponent to draw something more than flies. I'd much prefer Cuse or Pitt than BC. At least they can carry their home market week in and week out. BC has lost out to rodeo. Rodeo. Consider that.

BC has great academics. It has failed to capture its own good sized market, it has a mediocre history, is trending downward sharply and it isn't in prime recruiting territory for anything except hockey. So what makes BC attractive for any forward thinking conference?

Reaction Score
Here is an analysis of the numbers for BC TV ratings last year.

First, lets look at Notre Dame's ratings last year to see how BC stacked up.

A couple of caveats. Notre Dame's games were mostly broadcast at 3:30 PM or 7:30/8 PM. (I excluded the 9 AM Navy game from Ireland.)

Clearly, the 7:30/8 PM games had better ratings, but also, the competition for viewers was tougher for some games vs others. I will highlight the competition for some games to help better understand the ratings.

ND vs Michigan St. 8 PM ABC 5.0 million (Overlap with FL/TN, USC/Stanford, Texas/Ole Miss)
ND vs Michigan 7:30 PM NBC 6.4 million (Overlap with Clemson/FSU, LSU/Auburn, KSU/Oklahoma)
ND vs Miami 7:30 PM NBC 3.7 million (Overlap with Nebraska/Ohio St., WVU/Texas, FSU/NC St.)
ND vs Oklahoma 8 PM NBC 8.6 million
ND vs BC 8 PM ABC 5.8 million (Overlap with KSU/TCU, Miss St/LSU, Georgia/Auburn)
ND vs USC 8 PM ABC 16.1 million

ND vs Stanford 3:30 PM NBC 5.2 million
ND vs Pitt 3:30 PM NBC 6.0 million
ND vs Wake Forest 3:30 PM NBC 2.6 million
ND vs Purdue 3:30 PM NBC 2.8 million

My read on this is that BC performed middle of the pack with Notre Dame in a prime time setting with weaker football competition that night. ND/Miami had very difficult competition the night of their game. Most interesting is that the Pitt and Stanford game ratings were about in line with BC even though they started at 3:30 PM. My view is that people watch Notre Dame, not BC. Many middle of the pack schools would produce the same ratings as BC.

And, BC had two games on ESPN2 last year and they were not ratings bonanzas, even against the best teams in the ACC: (The BC/Miami game was split coverage last year so hard to conclude the individual game ratings.)

BC vs FSU 5:30 PM ESPN2 672k (Navy/Central Michigan had 884k for the next game on ESPN2. BC/FSU equaled Northwestern/Minnesota on ESPN2 that day)
BC vs Clemson 3:30 PM ESPN2 891k (South Carolina/Kentucky had 1.9 million for the next game on ESPN2.)

The above ratings are about equal to what the "reverse mirror" games on ESPN2 do at 3:30 PM. In other words, these games did as well as the ratings on ESPN2 when the out of market ABC game was shown in the reverse mirror. Imagine the ratings for the above time slots if the games were BC/WF, BC/Duke, or BC/Maryland?

People may remember the Doug Flutie days at BC, but those days have been over for almost 30 years. BC football today is not a big draw in the stands or on TV.

Reaction Score
You hold the bahgavad gita as gospel, correct?

I really have no idea what the hell this means? Is this an inside joke or something?

UCONN fans like you like to tout how you're climbing in the USN&WR rankings. How you are now above RU (in their) U.S. rankings.

It makes sense that you don't want to hear about the USN&WR world rankings....in which you are more than 100 places behind RU.

I get it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
First off, Red Sox - DRays IS a rivalry. But the gist of it is that BC is a relatively small school in a suburb, and it doesn't connect with the majority of people in town. This is a city with many colleges and universities. In that sense, it's unlike most markets. Northeastern, BC, BU, MIT, Harvard, Tufts, Suffolk, UMass-Boston, Emerson, etc. I bet BC-PSU would do decently--better than BC-OSU, but there is simply little interest in college sports. That goes for basketball and hockey as well (outside of the Beanpot, which is the only event that gets people interested in college sports in Boston). But that's only 2 days of the year.

The fans not only don't relate to the opposition, they don't relate to BC. It's not Boston's team. If Umass-Boston were the main campus instead of a branch, I bet then you'd have more interest in college sports.
You're right about everything except saying that BC is in the suburbs. It is served by a "T" line that runs directly down Comm. Ave. And is a mere six miles frome the golden dome of the old state house. BC is not an urban campus, to be sure, but its still might be a stretch to say it is located in the suburbs.

Bottom line is that BC fans are the extreme definition of fair weather. Even when they had a good bball team in the late 90s (BE champs will Curly and Penn), they had a hard time filling Conte Forum.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

Yes, but that would be true regarding any school. I was addressing the suggestion that BC enhances ratings. When you say locals are we talking Big Ten graduates? If so, I see as many or more people driving from Boston and NYC to converge on a UCONN vs. Big Ten matchup.

Reaction Score
You're right about everything except saying that BC is in the suburbs. It is served by a "T" line that runs directly down Comm. Ave. And is a mere six miles frome the golden dome of the old state house. BC is not an urban campus, to be sure, but its still might be a stretch to say it is located in the suburbs.

Bottom line is that BC fans are the extreme definition of fair weather. Even when they had a good bball team in the late 90s (BE champs will Curly and Penn), they had a hard time filling Conte Forum.

Strictly speaking, Newton and Chestnut Hill are the burbs. They are not part of the city. I also find it to be pretty suburban out there with only the exception of Cleveland Circle.

Reaction Score
I really have no idea what the hell this means? Is this an inside joke or something?

UCONN fans like you like to tout how you're climbing in the USN&WR rankings. How you are now above RU (in their) U.S. rankings.

It makes sense that you don't want to hear about the USN&WR world rankings....in which you are more than 100 places behind RU.

I get it.

You're as wrong as can be. On this very thread I knocked USN and I've been knocking that rag for ages.

You don't know what it means? Precisely.

Reaction Score
grant_e_PastedGraphic-1_640.jpg

Connecticut is not a great football area. Massachusetts is not even half as intense as Connecticut.

Reaction Score
BC is not "in the city" - they are much more of a suburban campus than an urban campus, in reality somewhere in between, skewing to suburban.

Reaction Score

Have you taken the T from CH into the city? It takes 45 minutes once you step on board. Drive down rt9 and it may take longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01