B1G want more games in NYC... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

B1G want more games in NYC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
how the wheels have turned. Remember when Hathaway and Edsall wanted to play home games against ND at the Rent and not at Metlife Stadium or Fenway?? Thus, the 4 game series was cancelled, but no it wasn't ND who cancelled. Yup-it was uconn led by Hathaway!!! Now were playing umass at fox borough

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/230769-uconn-likely-to-opt-out-of-football-series-with-notre-dame

Ah, those two were the ones trying to make the deal.

A few state legislators really led the charge to kill it.

They got their way - UConn isn't playing Notre Dame out of state.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah, the ND/UCONN 10 game series was crushed by our State politicians (and media and fanbase) who complained that all home games be played at the Rent. I believe it's written into the Rent contract that all "home" games are to be played at the Rent until 2017ish. But I thought that I read somewhere a long time ago that stated they would not oppose playing Notre Dame in NYC/Boston if they'd play 1 game at the Rent. We all know how that ended up.

I hate Jeff Hathaway and what he did/didn't do during his tenure but this is actually one thing that wasn't his fault. Blame this one on the politicians/media/and a good portion of the UCONN fanbase that couldn't "stoop so low" to play 10 high profile games against Notre Dame throughout the northeast if it wasn't played in East Hartford. Ridiculous then, more ridiculous now.

Reaction Score
March 17, 2008

2008-R-0223

UCONN'S HOME FOOTBALL GAMES AT RENTSCHLER FIELD

By: Rute Pinhel, Research Analyst

You asked about the lease agreement between UConn and the Office of Policy and Management (OPM) for the use of Rentschler Field. You want to know if the agreement requires UConn to play its home games at Rentschler Field and if so, what would happen if UConn played home games in other stadiums.

The lease agreement between OPM and UConn explicitly states that UConn agrees to play all of its home football games at Rentschler Field stadium during the term of the lease, which expires on June 30, 2023. Should UConn breach this agreement, the lease provides that OPM may seek injunctive or financial relief. It limits the financial relief to OPM's lost profit. Michael Mehigen, senior policy advisor for OPM, estimates that the lost net profit to OPM would be approximately $500,000 per game.

Both parties could mutually agree to amend the lease to allow UConn to play home games in other stadiums. According to Mehigen, UConn has not yet approached OPM to do so.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
March 17, 2008

2008-R-0223

UCONN'S HOME FOOTBALL GAMES AT RENTSCHLER FIELD

By: Rute Pinhel, Research Analyst

You asked about the lease agreement between UConn and the Office of Policy and Management (OPM) for the use of Rentschler Field. You want to know if the agreement requires UConn to play its home games at Rentschler Field and if so, what would happen if UConn played home games in other stadiums.

The lease agreement between OPM and UConn explicitly states that UConn agrees to play all of its home football games at Rentschler Field stadium during the term of the lease, which expires on June 30, 2023. Should UConn breach this agreement, the lease provides that OPM may seek injunctive or financial relief. It limits the financial relief to OPM's lost profit. Michael Mehigen, senior policy advisor for OPM, estimates that the lost net profit to OPM would be approximately $500,000 per game.

Both parties could mutually agree to amend the lease to allow UConn to play home games in other stadiums. According to Mehigen, UConn has not yet approached OPM to do so.

@jostar1 - you are really a computer, like those credit score commercials, aren't you? The speed in which you find on that internet that is mentioned here always amazes me.

But yeah, I was a bit off. 2023 is much longer than 2017ish. I thought that I read that they were contemplating lifting the requirement for a ND game but I may be dreaming that. But this is the same reason why Manuel couldn't/wouldn't move the Michigan game when Brandon asked. Give Brandon/Michigan credit: they signed to play here and honored the commitment.

UCONN will need to approach OPM to get the green light to schedule games against B1G teams at Yankee or MetLife. I'm hoping that UCONN fans #HuskyUp and sell out Yankee Stadium this November. If so, then that would open quite a bit of scheduling opportunities.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the ND/UCONN 10 game series was crushed by our State politicians (and media and fanbase) who complained that all home games be played at the Rent. I believe it's written into the Rent contract that all "home" games are to be played at the Rent until 2017ish. But I thought that I read somewhere a long time ago that stated they would not oppose playing Notre Dame in NYC/Boston if they'd play 1 game at the Rent. We all know how that ended up.

I hate Jeff Hathaway and what he did/didn't do during his tenure but this is actually one thing that wasn't his fault. Blame this one on the politicians/media/and a good portion of the UCONN fanbase that couldn't "stoop so low" to play 10 high profile games against Notre Dame throughout the northeast if it wasn't played in East Hartford. Ridiculous then, more ridiculous now.
True, but, as a fan I never heard them even offering to play one game at the Rent. It is too bad, but don't forget the environment of ND, not able to invite schools in for football, because of ND siding with the basketball only schools. sure the media and politicians were short sighted, but to blame fans for their passion and where it lied at the time...We have elected officials to make the tough decisions to sway popular opinion. this did not happen. so sure there is blame to go around, but right now, I don't want to blame our fans for anything that happened in the past, we need to support each of our fans and playing in Yankee stadium against Army is more than enough proof for what we are likely going to need to do going forward. Lets just focus on where we are going and how to get there. I am not ignoring the past but lets wait til it really becomes history before we make it a subject of study.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Found this story that goes back to 2008 which states that the General Assembly okay'd the deal:

UConn v. Notre Dame Update: General Assembly Clears Path to South Bend
April 24, 2008 by Dan Fitzgerald 10 Comments
Under the gold dome of the state capitol, state legislators and UConn officials announced an agreement that clears the way for UConn to play under the golden dome, at the University of Notre Dame. A contract between Notre Dame and UConn has not been finalized. However, the General Assembly has given its blessing for UConn to enter into a contract under which UConn’s “home” games will not be played at Rentschler Field, but at either the new Giants Stadium or Gillette Stadium.

The agreement between UConn and the General Assembly included shortening the length of the contract with Notre Dame from ten years to seven years. (There will actually be two contracts with Notre Dame: a contract for a single game on November 21, 2009; and a contract for a six-game series between 2011 and 2017). The rationale was that a shorter series would provide the opportunity to renegotiate a second series, during which Notre Dame might agree to play in Connecticut.

“If there’s a 10-game series, the window of opportunity to play at Rentschler is zero. Scaling it back to six years, think it leaves the window open a little bit for a Rentschler game.”

-Rep. Michael Christ, East Hartford

More is here:

http://ctsportslaw.com/2008/04/24/u...e-general-assembly-clears-path-to-south-bend/

Reaction Score
Found this story that goes back to 2008 which states that the General Assembly okay'd the deal:

UConn v. Notre Dame Update: General Assembly Clears Path to South Bend
April 24, 2008 by Dan Fitzgerald 10 Comments
Under the gold dome of the state capitol, state legislators and UConn officials announced an agreement that clears the way for UConn to play under the golden dome, at the University of Notre Dame. A contract between Notre Dame and UConn has not been finalized. However, the General Assembly has given its blessing for UConn to enter into a contract under which UConn’s “home” games will not be played at Rentschler Field, but at either the new Giants Stadium or Gillette Stadium.

The agreement between UConn and the General Assembly included shortening the length of the contract with Notre Dame from ten years to seven years. (There will actually be two contracts with Notre Dame: a contract for a single game on November 21, 2009; and a contract for a six-game series between 2011 and 2017). The rationale was that a shorter series would provide the opportunity to renegotiate a second series, during which Notre Dame might agree to play in Connecticut.

“If there’s a 10-game series, the window of opportunity to play at Rentschler is zero. Scaling it back to six years, think it leaves the window open a little bit for a Rentschler game.”

-Rep. Michael Christ, East Hartford

More is here:

http://ctsportslaw.com/2008/04/24/u...e-general-assembly-clears-path-to-south-bend/
...and of course, had UConn signed this contract, I am sure that in this era of re-alignment that ND would have honored their contract with UConn. I think it may have worked out for the best, as these games likely would have been scuttled, and yes ND may have had to pay a fine/fee but I do not think that this agreement with ND would have pressured in any way a needed invite into the ACC - again JMO

Reaction Score
The only reason to move a game to a neutral site is seating capacity. If PSU or OSU vs. RU or MD has demand for 75k tickets, then they will consider moving a game to Met life or FedEx field. But that's not happening yet. The idea of any other B1G conference games in NY or DC is just incorrect analysis.

For small stadium teams like Maryland and Rutgers, hosting Mich or OSU or PSU off campus makes financial sense. The drawback is that you aren't getting those people on your campus and nurturing those alumni relationships. It'll be interesting to see how Maryland, who likes playing in its local NFL stadiums, will adjust to Jim Delany frowning on B1G games in pro stadiums. Maryland-PSU is being played in Baltimore at M&T Bank Stadium in 2015. Maryland-Texas at Fed Ex Field in 2018.

Reaction Score
It makes no financial sense for us to have off campus home games. There'd be fights over the divvying up of the gate and we'd lose out on merchandise/concession sales.

Reaction Score
True, but, as a fan I never heard them even offering to play one game at the Rent. It is too bad, but don't forget the environment of ND, not able to invite schools in for football, because of ND siding with the basketball only schools. sure the media and politicians were short sighted, but to blame fans for their passion and where it lied at the time...We have elected officials to make the tough decisions to sway popular opinion. this did not happen. so sure there is blame to go around, but right now, I don't want to blame our fans for anything that happened in the past, we need to support each of our fans and playing in Yankee stadium against Army is more than enough proof for what we are likely going to need to do going forward. Lets just focus on where we are going and how to get there. I am not ignoring the past but lets wait til it really becomes history before we make it a subject of study.

The Fans and Politicians in question were guilty of naivete generated hubris. They grossly over-estimated UCONN's "place" in a college sports environment driven by football. At least, now, we know where we stand and can take the steps necessary to identify and remove football relate weaknesses. Like it or not, ND was and remains a huge "player" in college FB. We were ill-equipped for that particular war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom