B1G want more games in NYC... | The Boneyard

B1G want more games in NYC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Turned on the radio at work. WFAN is reporting that the B1G wants more of a presence in New York & wants to schedule more games in Yankee Stadium featuring Rutgers. Just heard it on the 20/20 update. No details released.

Reaction Score
Turned on the radio at work. WFAN is reporting that the B1G wants more of a presence in New York & wants to schedule more games in Yankee Stadium featuring Rutgers. Just heard it on the 20/20 update. No details released.
All good news for us, imho.

Reaction Score
The latest update said that the B1G wants MULTIPLE games per year in the Bronx featuring Rutgers, PSU, & Maryland i.e. their Eastern Wing.

edit: WFAN also said that the source of this news is CBS.com

Reaction Score
The chances of a PSU home game at Yankee Stadium? Less than zero is too optimistic for such a scenario.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
This would be a bitter pill for RU fans, but one they will be forced to swallow. Has anyone attended a game there? The layout looks less than ideal for football.

Reaction Score
UConn should agree to play all its home games at Yankee Stadium (or Meadowlands) if that is what it takes.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn should agree to play all its home games at Yankee Stadium (or Meadowlands) if that is what it takes.

I'd sign up for that! Brooklyn to the Bronx is a lot easier than East Hartford, lol.

Then again... the weekend 4,5,6...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is why it is VERY important for UCONN fans to represent well at Yankee Stadium in November. The B1G is sending out crystal clear signals that they want to penetrate NYC. Army/UCONN attendance that beats most/all of the previous attendance figures that RU and Syracuse posted, coupled with our incredibly strong MSG reputation, would make a HUGE statement.

If you haven't purchased Army/UCONN tickets for November 8th, now is the time to do it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Silverman said:
"Like with Yankee Stadium -- would there be a case where Rutgers or Penn State or Maryland, would they want to move a game to an iconic stadium like that?"

In my opinion it's mostly up to the schools if they would like to move a game. Delany may gently nudge them, but if they want to play a game on-campus I think B1G is 9x% behind the decision to do so.

Even so, if UConn is willing to move home games around I would think that would make UConn all that more attractive. Need that silly AAU thing first...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These are strong and very important declarations by the B1G. They are sending an unequivocal signal that they intend to play more than a token role in NYC. Contrast this to how the ACC welcomed Boston College, Miami, Pitt, or, now, Louisville. What was the fanfare helping them open up new markets? What has Swofford done to signal he's serious about competing for the northeast? Moreover, at some point football ends and basketball awakens. What's the B1G's plan for that? Enter UConn.

Is there a similar B1G push in D.C.? Will Maryland move games to RFK? How about scheduling some games in Northern Virginia? Any decent stadiums there? Imagine what a shot across Virginia's bow a B1G game in Fairfax County would be.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how much power "Yankee Stadium" has. College games at the Meadowlands are terrible, college games at Yankee Stadium are electric.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If UCONN vs Army sells out, or even draws more than 45K, then that would leapfrog most attendance figures put up by RU or SU (versus better competition, I might add). I don't just want UCONN/Army to outdraw RU/Army (30K), I want them to outdraw SU/USC, RU/ND, and most of the Pinstripe Bowl games. That would go a LONG way towards turning around the perception that UCONN football doesn't travel and/or doesn't capture NYC interest.

Reaction Score
"You could bring in, for Rutgers, probably another 10 to 15,000 people there. Is that a game that makes sense to move there? Probably."

Since Rutgers' stadium capacity is actually greater than Yankee Stadium's, what does this say about the Big 10's confidence in drawing fans to central New Jersey?

Reaction Score
If UCONN vs Army sells out, or even draws more than 45K, then that would leapfrog most attendance figures put up by RU or SU (versus better competition, I might add). I don't just want UCONN/Army to outdraw RU/Army (30K), I want them to outdraw SU/USC, RU/ND, and most of the Pinstripe Bowl games. That would go a LONG way towards turning around the perception that UCONN football doesn't travel and/or doesn't capture NYC interest.

I agree with this, every UCONN fan needs to man up and buy tickets for this game, a sell out is imperative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
These are strong and very important declarations by the B1G. They are sending an unequivocal signal that they intend to play more than a token role in NYC. Contrast this to how the ACC welcomed Boston College, Miami, Pitt, or, now, Louisville. What was the fanfare helping them open up new markets? What has Swofford done to signal he's serious about competing for the northeast? Moreover, at some point football ends and basketball awakens. What's the B1G's plan for that? Enter UConn.

Is there a similar B1G push in D.C.? Will Maryland move games to RFK? How about scheduling some games in Northern Virginia? Any decent stadiums there? Imagine what a shot across Virginia's bow a B1G game in Fairfax County would be.

Only major college in the VA side of Metro DC is George Mason, which does not sponsor football. Both the Redskins and the Nationals built there new stadiums in Maryland and DC respectively. DC United has proposed building a 20K to 30K soccer only stadium, which is too small for B1G football, next to the Nats. So, no large stadiums on that side of the Potomac as far as I am aware of.

Reaction Score
This would be a bitter pill for RU fans, but one they will be forced to swallow. Has anyone attended a game there? The layout looks less than ideal for football.

Yankee stadium is a novelty; but, it could easily wear off as it's expensive, has no tailgating near the stadium, and the sightlines were not built with football in mind. And I am a Yankees fan. Plus, I think Rutgers' stadium has more seats than Yankee for football. Odd.

Reaction Score
If I was UConn, I would reach out to B1G teams about the possibility of playing neutral site football games at Yankee Stadium. Or even a home-neutral site series where UConn plays at the B1G teams stadium one year and at Yankee Stadium or another NYC stadium the next. I would also schedule as many non conference games as possible vs the B1G in Olympic Sports. Basketball games at Madison Square Garden. It could be like a trial run to show the B1G exactly what UConn brings to the table. If ratings are high, surely that would work in UConns favor for expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom