B1G want more games in NYC... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B1G want more games in NYC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yankee stadium is a novelty; but, it could easily wear off as it's expensive, has no tailgating near the stadium, and the sightlines were not built with football in mind. And I am a Yankees fan. Plus, I think Rutgers' stadium has more seats than Yankee for football. Odd.
I seen on RU's rival site OSU's Geno Smith says the B1G might/will expand again in 5 or 6 yrs!?! Maybe thats UConn's opening in the works? But with who? And if true hopefully its announced before that like just before the new TV deal giving recruiting a chance to amp up for FB in the B1G's grueling weekly conference grind!! If someone mentioned it already I apologize.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"You could bring in, for Rutgers, probably another 10 to 15,000 people there. Is that a game that makes sense to move there? Probably."

Since Rutgers' stadium capacity is actually greater than Yankee Stadium's, what does this say about the Big 10's confidence in drawing fans to central New Jersey?
The fact its off campus would also hamper RU's student attendence boost too!!

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If I was UConn, I would reach out to B1G teams about the possibility of playing neutral site football games at Yankee Stadium. Or even a home-neutral site series where UConn plays at the B1G teams stadium one year and at Yankee Stadium or another NYC stadium the next. I would also schedule as many non conference games as possible vs the B1G in Olympic Sports. Basketball games at Madison Square Garden. It could be like a trial run to show the B1G exactly what UConn brings to the table. If ratings are high, surely that would work in UConns favor for expansion.

UCONN has announced in the last year or so home and home series with Indiana and Illinois. I agree with you: scheduling neutral site games against B1G schools in NYC or even Boston would go a long way towards showing UCONN's potential. We're playing Army at Yankee Stadium this year and against UMASS at Gillette next season. Put up good attendance figures in both and that would open up a lot of scheduling possibilities against bigger names. Perhaps even a conference invite. Basketball-wise, there is no question that UCONN is a massive draw at MSG. Has been for decades. UCONN vs Indiana drew some buzz last year at MSG as did UCONN vs Maryland at the Barclay's. Of course, there was also UCONN's strong presence at MSG in the Regional games this past spring in "UCONN South". UCONN vs Duke at the Prudential Center in NJ has potential too.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The fact its off campus would also hamper RU's student attence boost too!!
I read somewhere that RU formerly had free student tickets, but now will start charging. Do you know if that's true?

Reaction Score
The chances of a PSU home game at Yankee Stadium? Less than zero is too optimistic for such a scenario.
Yankee stadium is a terrible venue for FB but why would PSU give up a home game for a 54G seating or half the size of their homefield? Alums? Wouldnt they lose money and the student section boost? Too many injuries happen in YS grass for my liking...MetLife would be better IMO.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that RU formerly had free student tickets, but now will start charging. Do you know if that's true?
Not sure as Im far from a student but the tickets from my understanding aren't FREE but built into tuition. Why? Looking for some? ha ha jk Trest.

Reaction Score
If I was UConn, I would reach out to B1G teams about the possibility of playing neutral site football games at Yankee Stadium. Or even a home-neutral site series where UConn plays at the B1G teams stadium one year and at Yankee Stadium or another NYC stadium the next. I would also schedule as many non conference games as possible vs the B1G in Olympic Sports. Basketball games at Madison Square Garden. It could be like a trial run to show the B1G exactly what UConn brings to the table. If ratings are high, surely that would work in UConns favor for expansion.

Actually that might be like giving them the milk without buying the cow.
You want NY buzz you have to add us. That's why we must fill the stadium for Army.

Reaction Score
Yankee stadium is a terrible venue for FB but why would PSU give up a home game for a 54G seating or half the size of their homefield? Alums? Wouldnt they lose money and the student section boost? Too many injuries happen in YS grass for my liking...MetLife would be better IMO.

The biggest problem for PSU is that 50k of the 100k show up a day or two before the game and they fill up the hotels and restaurants.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wondered if that's actually true. I can't imagine that there are 5,000 hotel rooms in State College, let alone room for 50,000 people

I went to Trip Advisor and tried to see if I could book a room for their first game - it turns out that I was able to get a room at their top-rated hotel. And every single one of the 25 other hotels in town.

Things were tighter for the Ohio State game, but I had my choice of more than a few hotels.

So I'll call the 50,000 figure wishful thinking. I'll conceded that the International House of Pancakes and the Old Country Buffet probably do serious business those weekends.

But generally, your point stands - Penn State is not giving up a home game to play at Yankee Stadium. They're just not giving up 100,000 ticket sales. If they play, they're going to need a MAC school or a service academy or Rutgers to give up a home game to make it happen.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem for PSU is that 50k of the 100k show up a day or two before the game and they fill up the hotels and restaurants.
RV lots too

pj

Reaction Score
I seen on RU's rival site OSU's Geno Smith says the B1G might/will expand again in 5 or 6 yrs!?! Maybe thats UConn's opening in the works? But with who? And if true hopefully its announced before that like just before the new TV deal giving recruiting a chance to amp up for FB in the B1G's grueling weekly conference grind!! If someone mentioned it already I apologize.

The timing is right for UConn. They negotiate the TV deal in 2016 for 2017 start. UConn's exit period from the AAC is 27 months. Say the decision to add UConn or not is made year-end 2016 as part of the TV negotiations. UConn then gives notice to the AAC and joins 2019 or 2020 at the latest. 5-6 years from now.

Reaction Score
ok, here is my cynical two cents on the subject. Most if not all of the posts on this thread seem to spin the idea that Rutgurs playing in Yankee Stadium is good for us because this will demonstrate the need for UConn to to be in the Big as with just Rutgurs this task wont be accomplished. Furthermore, everyone has stated that Yankee stadium is relatively small in its capacity.

Okay so I spelled out one side of the argument for why this is good. Now let's look a the other side. Rutgurs does play a 2-4 home games with 1 OOC game at Yankee Stadium. The Big, makes the claim that they now own NYC with these sell-outs. Think Penn state, Mich, Mich state, Maryland, won't support selling out that venue??? Think again. When this is accomplished, what can UConn do? Their contract with the Rent wont allow them without a high penalty to schedule home games outside of the Rent venue. So while we wait for AAU and for this contract to expire (or for UConn to buy the stadium and then not use it, or not buy it but let what happen to it???) Rutgurs and the Big get to demonstrate their ownership of NYC. Ok step in Swafford, does he see this as a problem, NYC is big enough for two conferences the ACC and the Big - Maybe. However, where is the AAC, I say this because I don't see them making a push to claim NYC as theirs, no they are making the claim that we are a national conference. Well, maybe so, but The Big and ACC are claiming they own the largest markets with true identity - universities recognized either nationally or representing the LARGE Market CITY. And for Basketball NYC will now have 3+ Conferences, THE BIG, THE ACC, THE BIG EAST, and the AAC. And of all the conferences the AAC has less recognition, over time the schools in this conference will lose identity as NYC is identified with the P5. No minor league team will succeed in NYC and both the Big East and the AAC are IMHO not likely to survive or get established as the NYC Conference.

I offer one contention to the above, as pointed out by others, no other current BIG School will schedule a home game in Yankee Stadium due to its capacity. However, they may not want another school doing this. Does Rutgurs - I could see where they may want to. Have someone else come in to share the burden of a reduced seating capacity and understand at UConn, it would represent more seats than the Rent but will the BIG care that much about Rutgurs wishes? Personally, I don't think so, hey Rutgurs, do you like the situation you are in or would you rather be back in the AAC?

Dooley

Reaction Score
ok, here is my cynical two cents on the subject. Most if not all of the posts on this thread seem to spin the idea that Rutgurs playing in Yankee Stadium is good for us because this will demonstrate the need for UConn to to be in the Big as with just Rutgurs this task wont be accomplished. Furthermore, everyone has stated that Yankee stadium is relatively small in its capacity.

Okay so I spelled out one side of the argument for why this is good. Now let's look a the other side. Rutgurs does play a 2-4 home games with 1 OOC game at Yankee Stadium. The Big, makes the claim that they now own NYC with these sell-outs. Think Penn state, Mich, Mich state, Maryland, won't support selling out that venue??? Think again. When this is accomplished, what can UConn do? Their contract with the Rent wont allow them without a high penalty to schedule home games outside of the Rent venue. So while we wait for AAU and for this contract to expire (or for UConn to buy the stadium and then not use it, or not buy it but let what happen to it???) Rutgurs and the Big get to demonstrate their ownership of NYC. Ok step in Swafford, does he see this as a problem, NYC is big enough for two conferences the ACC and the Big - Maybe. However, where is the AAC, I say this because I don't see them making a push to claim NYC as theirs, no they are making the claim that we are a national conference. Well, maybe so, but The Big and ACC are claiming they own the largest markets with true identity - universities recognized either nationally or representing the LARGE Market CITY. And for Basketball NYC will now have 3+ Conferences, THE BIG, THE ACC, THE BIG EAST, and the AAC. And of all the conferences the AAC has less recognition, over time the schools in this conference will lose identity as NYC is identified with the P5. No minor league team will succeed in NYC and both the Big East and the AAC are IMHO not likely to survive or get established as the NYC Conference.

I offer one contention to the above, as pointed out by others, no other current BIG School will schedule a home game in Yankee Stadium due to its capacity. However, they may not want another school doing this. Does Rutgurs - I could see where they may want to. Have someone else come in to share the burden of a reduced seating capacity and understand at UConn, it would represent more seats than the Rent but will the BIG care that much about Rutgurs wishes? Personally, I don't think so, hey Rutgurs, do you like the situation you are in or would you rather be back in the AAC?

I get what you're saying, but please note that Rutgers hasn't sold out Yankee Stadium once. Not even for the Pinstripe Bowl against NOTRE DAME. Neither has Syracuse. The ONLY sellout at Yankee Stadium was Notre Dame vs. Army (in bold below). Here are the attendance figures at Yankee Stadium and MetLife games:

Regular Season:
61,202 - Penn State vs Syracuse (MetLife - 2013)...thanks to a majority PSU crowd
54,251 - Notre Dame @ Army (Yankee Stadium - 2010)
41,292 - Rutgers vs Army (MetLife Stadium "New Meadowlands Stadium" - 2010)
39,507 - Syracuse vs USC (MetLife Stadium - 2012)
30,028 - Rutgers @ Army (Yankee Stadium - 2012)

Bowl games:
47,122 - Notre Dame vs Rutgers (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2013)
39,098 - Syracuse vs WVU (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2012)
38,328 - Rutgers vs Iowa State (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2011)
38,274 - Syracuse vs Kansas State (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2010)

I think the rallying cry for UCONN fans with every single B1G proclamation that they want to expand NYC presence is that we can do better than RU and SU. There is no questioning UCONN's overwhelming presence at MSG for hoops. Tom Izzo calls it "UCONN South". Word is out and that's great. But now UCONN fans are being given a wonderful opportunity to quit their belly-aching about CR and our place in NYC and have a chance to PROVE it. If UCONN vs Army on November 8th outdraws the attendance figures announced for RU and SU games (some games against much better competition, keep in mind), then it's another bullet in the UCONN = NYC chamber.

The message is clear: UCONN fans need to buy tickets to Yankee Stadium. If a UCONN fan can't spring for season tickets and could only afford to go to 1 game in 2014 to support the school, I would say that THIS is the game that they would need to go to.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying, but please note that Rutgers hasn't sold out Yankee Stadium once. Not even for the Pinstripe Bowl against NOTRE DAME. Neither has Syracuse. The ONLY sellout at Yankee Stadium was Notre Dame vs. Army (in bold below). Here are the attendance figures at Yankee Stadium and MetLife games:

Regular Season:
61,202 - Penn State vs Syracuse (MetLife - 2013)...thanks to a majority PSU crowd
54,251 - Notre Dame @ Army (Yankee Stadium - 2010)
41,292 - Rutgers vs Army (MetLife Stadium "New Meadowlands Stadium" - 2010)
39,507 - Syracuse vs USC (MetLife Stadium - 2012)
30,028 - Rutgers @ Army (Yankee Stadium - 2012)

Bowl games:
47,122 - Notre Dame vs Rutgers (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2013)
39,098 - Syracuse vs WVU (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2012)
38,328 - Rutgers vs Iowa State (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2011)
38,274 - Syracuse vs Kansas State (Pinstripe Bowl Yankee Stadium - 2010)

I think the rallying cry for UCONN fans with every single B1G proclamation that they want to expand NYC presence is that we can do better than RU and SU. There is no questioning UCONN's overwhelming presence at MSG for hoops. Tom Izzo calls it "UCONN South". Word is out and that's great. But now UCONN fans are being given a wonderful opportunity to quit their belly-aching about CR and our place in NYC and have a chance to PROVE it. If UCONN vs Army on November 8th outdraws the attendance figures announced for RU and SU games (some games against much better competition, keep in mind), then it's another bullet in the UCONN = NYC chamber.

The message is clear: UCONN fans need to buy tickets to Yankee Stadium. If a UCONN fan can't spring for season tickets and could only afford to go to 1 game in 2014 to support the school, I would say that THIS is the game that they would need to go to.

I think you are one on the BY who gets it. Perception is everything. We got screwed in CR. Some of it was stupid. Combination of Blumenthal, location, that network not going to bat for us, BC, age of program, non AAU, Calhoun, APR, Hatheway, NCAA, size of rent, etc. What the truth is, we will never know. I get sarcastic, with jokes about driving through half an inch of snow in New England, but perception is all we control. If a conference see sell outs at the XL and big crowds in a winter storm, it helps. Buying a ticket for the military when you can't go to the Fiesta Bowl helps. Selling out Yankee Stadium helps. You do those things, the P5 take note of it. You convinced me. I am going to find a way to the Army game!

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think you are one on the BY who gets it. Perception is everything. We got screwed in CR. Some of it was stupid. Combination of Blumenthal, location, that network not going to bat for us, BC, age of program, non AAU, Calhoun, APR, Hatheway, NCAA, size of rent, etc. What the truth is, we will never know. I get sarcastic, with jokes about driving through half an inch of snow in New England, but perception is all we control. If a conference see sell outs at the XL and big crowds in a winter storm, it helps. Buying a ticket for the military when you can't go to the Fiesta Bowl helps. Selling out Yankee Stadium helps. You do those things, the P5 take note of it. You convinced me. I am going to find a way to the Army game!

Awesome! In addition to helping UCONN fan perception, I wouldn't be surprised to see that this game will actually be an important one for UCONN's bowl chances.

Reaction Score
I wondered if that's actually true. I can't imagine that there are 5,000 hotel rooms in State College, let alone room for 50,000 people

I went to Trip Advisor and tried to see if I could book a room for their first game - it turns out that I was able to get a room at their top-rated hotel. And every single one of the 25 other hotels in town.

Things were tighter for the Ohio State game, but I had my choice of more than a few hotels.

So I'll call the 50,000 figure wishful thinking. I'll conceded that the International House of Pancakes and the Old Country Buffet probably do serious business those weekends.

But generally, your point stands - Penn State is not giving up a home game to play at Yankee Stadium. They're just not giving up 100,000 ticket sales. If they play, they're going to need a MAC school or a service academy or Rutgers to give up a home game to make it happen.

Back when they were good, those hotel rooms were sold out a year in advance. People would talk about booking them as soon as the computer systems allowed it. There are about 1,000 RVs parked out by a cow pasture near the stadium as well. I always thought 50k was the number because there was only a one lane road leading to SC from I-80, and it was 10-12 miles long. A smaller road than the one to Storrs. If more than 40k are coming on gameday (assuming 20k students) I scratch my head thinking about how they managed to get all those cars in. The town was said to double in size on Friday before a game (50k residents not counting students). And, as for hotels, people use to have to stay as far away as Lewisburg (less than an hour) for open hotel space. So double that 25 local hotels with another 25.

I think PSU is right now down about 20k in fans from what they normally had. They've dropped to 90k the last I checked.

pj

Reaction Score

Okay so I spelled out one side of the argument for why this is good. Now let's look a the other side. Rutgurs does play a 2-4 home games with 1 OOC game at Yankee Stadium. The Big, makes the claim that they now own NYC with these sell-outs. Think Penn state, Mich, Mich state, Maryland, won't support selling out that venue??? Think again. When this is accomplished, what can UConn do? Their contract with the Rent wont allow them without a high penalty to schedule home games outside of the Rent venue. So while we wait for AAU and for this contract to expire (or for UConn to buy the stadium and then not use it, or not buy it but let what happen to it???) Rutgurs and the Big get to demonstrate their ownership of NYC.

The B1G's desire to play in NYC is good for us regardless of how strong Rutgers is in NYC, because adding us makes the B1G stronger in NYC. It is not "you got it" or "you don't got it". No, you get a piece of it or you get a bigger piece. We bring a bigger piece. The fact that the B1G is salivating for that particular pie helps us.

UConn can do neutral site scheduling in NYC, and with Army can get the away game there. If the Rent contract needs to be re-done, it can be done, after all the State of Connecticut owns the place. I don't see any of these issues as barriers to UConn helping the B1G in NYC.

pj

Reaction Score
I always thought 50k was the number because there was only a one lane road leading to SC from I-80, and it was 10-12 miles long. A smaller road than the one to Storrs. If more than 40k are coming on gameday (assuming 20k students) I scratch my head thinking about how they managed to get all those cars in. The town was said to double in size on Friday before a game (50k residents not counting students). And, as for hotels, people use to have to stay as far away as Lewisburg (less than an hour) for open hotel space. So double that 25 local hotels with another 25.

I think PSU is right now down about 20k in fans from what they normally had. They've dropped to 90k the last I checked.

A car is 15 feet long, so a 10 mile line of cars is 3350 cars. At 2.5 people per car, that's 8400 fans.

Not sure how PSU managed 100k people. Maybe they slept in the barns.

Reaction Score
A car is 15 feet long, so a 10 mile line of cars is 3350 cars. At 2.5 people per car, that's 8400 fans.

Uh, but cars move.

As with Storrs, there are backroads to campus. Fans from Pittsburgh come through small roads past Altoona, still others come from Lewisburg. But the fastest way for the Philly people is to take 80 and then get off at the Bellefonte exit, and when you did that, you were on a 1 lane road for 10 miles. At some point in the 2000s, they made that a 2 lane road both ways.

pj

Reaction Score
Uh, but cars move.

As with Storrs, there are backroads to campus. Fans from Pittsburgh come through small roads past Altoona, still others come from Lewisburg. But the fastest way for the Philly people is to take 80 and then get off at the Bellefonte exit, and when you did that, you were on a 1 lane road for 10 miles. At some point in the 2000s, they made that a 2 lane road both ways.

I just drove there, and I-99 goes to within a half mile of I-80. Not sure why they couldn't finish an interchange. Regardless, it's fairly fast now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Back when they were good, those hotel rooms were sold out a year in advance. People would talk about booking them as soon as the computer systems allowed it. There are about 1,000 RVs parked out by a cow pasture near the stadium as well. I always thought 50k was the number because there was only a one lane road leading to SC from I-80, and it was 10-12 miles long. A smaller road than the one to Storrs. If more than 40k are coming on gameday (assuming 20k students) I scratch my head thinking about how they managed to get all those cars in. The town was said to double in size on Friday before a game (50k residents not counting students). And, as for hotels, people use to have to stay as far away as Lewisburg (less than an hour) for open hotel space. So double that 25 local hotels with another 25.

Personally I can relate to your post as I attended school in the 90's and know all too well about the bumper to bumper traffic from The Bellefonte Exit off 80W all the way past The Nittany Mall. Good Lord if you had to take a leak stuck in that traffic. I have never been happier in my life seeing a Mcdonalds than the one located just past the mall. I think I clocked a 4.4 running from my car to the bathroom there on more than one occasion.

As to your numbers I think they are way, way, high regarding hotel occupants downtown. Even in the days before the overpass there were still multiple points of egress into and out of Beaver Stadium coming from different directions. You had people arriving early to tailgate all day, and others who rolled in right before kickoff. This constant flow of traffic got a huge percentage of those 100000+ people there. Add in the people staying in private rentals, with friends on campus, and in towns outside campus and you cut into the number considerably.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
State College went through a huge condo boom. The bubble left a lot of affordable units in the region. Many fans picked up units for just football or the FB, hunting, fishing combo.

When the local two and half star is going for 300/nt, two night minimum, I think the demand is fine.

Reaction Score
State College went through a huge condo boom. The bubble left a lot of affordable units in the region. Many fans picked up units for just football or the FB, hunting, fishing combo.

When the local two and half star is going for 300/nt, two night minimum, I think the demand is fine.

This is very true. Starting about a decade ago the hotels started getting way too greedy. 2 Night minimums and even multiple weekend commitments in order to book certain weekends started becoming the norm. The fall out from The Sandusky Scandal combined with every game being broadcast by The BTN has definitely cut into attendance. On average I'd say its been in the 10,000-15000 person range for the Kent State and Umass programs of the world. Coach Franklin is doing a ridiculously good job of building excitement around the program however, and when he returns it to its prior place in the CFB world, these hoteliers will end up getting the ridiculous sums they are asking.:(

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

5298489_700b.jpg

Reaction Score

There really is no escaping the cows there. It's not an exaggeration. You'd wake up one August morning with thick, thick, thick air of manure all around. And September when they were in heat? Like a foghorn blaring in your window. Less than a 1/4 mile from campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom