Arkansas Postgame Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They lost. I hated it but it happens. I kept waiting for AK to go cold from 3 and waited in vain. Contested rebounds won by AK too often.

It's always cold for AK. I wore a coat there in July.
The weather in AR has 4 seasons. But they are much hotter than in CT.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I had stated before the game that UConn had no one who could guard Dungee effectively. Well, I just watched a replay of the Arkansas-Baylor game and Dungee blew past the Baylor players just as easily as she did the UConn players. That included Didi Richards. She went by Didi without the use of her off arm pushing as she did many times against UConn. But still, she should not have scored as many points as she did. The UConn coaches inexplicably did not adjust as they usually do.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had stated before the game that UConn had no one who could guard Dungee effectively. Well, I just watched a replay of the Arkansas-Baylor game and Dungee blew past the Baylor players just as easily as she did the UConn players. That included Didi Richards. She went by Didi without the use of her off arm pushing as she did many times against UConn. But still, she should not have scored as many points as she did. The UConn coaches inexplicably did not adjust as they usually do.

Maybe Shea Ralph not on the sidelines hurt getting the messages to the guards ??

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I agree that he got out-coached.

I can't see why he would not have played AG for CW in the last part of the game. CW guarding Dungee is criminal. Actually CW guarding anybody in this game is criminal! We are up 2 and have the ball with 5:30 or so to go. Had a TO and at this point we needed the right players on the floor for the stretch run. At this point you take CW out and put AG in and also take Mir out and Liv in for some size and rebounding. Having Liv would have helped with protecting the rim on two drives: one by Dungee who got bailed out with foul on Mir at roughly the 520 mark and then later on when Ramiriz went to the basket. We win with AG and Liv in the game the last 5-6 minutes.

A fresh AG on a tired Dungee is much better than CW on anybody. Having size with Liv helped in the last 3 minutes with her pics and 3 open three pointers. Unfortunately, we only hit one. We also had the threat of the pick and roll and the pic and switch which PB took advantage on with another 3. Liv also got the block down the stretch as well. So at least GA put Liv in when he did because it certainly helped.
Amazing, isn't it, how hindsight makes everyone a better coach than Geno.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
True but, some of what the poster said makes sense and some on the chat wondered at the time why some of those moves were not made. That is not hindsight.

Reaction Score
I always think it is a cheap shot to say or imply via hindsight that a poster thinks they are smarter or better than GA. Also, and you didn't do this, but it is counter productive and idiotic when posters constantly say well GA has won 11 national titles and who are you to second guess him.

It is only hindsight because I watched the game on replay and couldn't post during the game. I was screaming for it during the game as well.

For the record, my hindsight as you say, does not make me a better coach then GA. How ridiculous a statement in a vain attempt to sound indignant and intelligent! Otherwise we wouldn't have much to say except, 'well GA is the greatest and who are we to second guess him.'

I am sure GA would have played it differently if he had a second chance at it.

Reaction Score
True but, some of what the poster said makes sense and some on the chat wondered at the time why some of those moves were not made. That is not hindsight.
I agree except the word 'true' as

1. I wasn't second guessing. I thought this during the game.
2. Even if I was second guessing, it would not make me a better coach than GA.
3. Is this not what a board is for, at least in part???

Yes I know there is potentially sarcasm in the original post, but the post adds nothing to the discussion and is idiotic in nature.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This thread reminds me of a similar Boneyard meltdown back in November 2014 after UConn lost an overtime thriller to Stanford. Mind you, UConn was coming off back-to-back national championships and would go on to win another at the end of the 2014-2015 season, and another the season after that. None of that mattered. UConn lost and it was all Geno's fault. In fact, there may still be a Boneyarder or two who are upset Geno traveled up to Napa Valley two days before that Stanford game. I guess he should have been in his hotel room pouring over video so he could design a defense to prevent Amber Orange from making a last second 3-pointer. Or, perhaps he should have traveled to Silicon Valley and planted a microchip in Saniya Chong's brain that would have received a signal telling her there was no longer enough time to take a 2-point shot and foul at the end of OT. But I digress.

I made a post back then that reminds me of what I'm thinking right now:

What's going on here, particularly the post after post about Geno's flaws as a coach, is pretty much a reflection of how we react to famous people in this country, particularly famous coaches because sports is the one arena in which the average fan believes he or she knows as much as a coach no matter how successful that coach is. Here, there's nothing like a UConn WBB loss -- and all it takes is one loss -- to renew the faith of many that all of us, particularly Geno, put our pants on one leg at a time. Many here highlight (or delight in) Geno's flaws that led to this loss or the losses from previous seasons. If you ask these fans whether UConn should be expected to win every game and they'll tell you, quite rationally, that it's unrealistic to expect to win every game. Yet, they'll explain how Geno is responsible for every loss suffered over the past few years. In other words, despite what the rational side of their brains say, there is a another part of their brain that says but for Geno's flaws and failures the UConn women would never lose a game, ever. Maybe the explanation for this is as simple as some here feeling better about themselves knowing and demonstrating that Geno is fallible. All men are created equal.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe Shea Ralph not on the sidelines hurt getting the messages to the guards ??
This team is perfectly capable of missing a message with or without Shea. Let’s not expand this mindless blame game. The last few seconds of this game was not handled properly by the players or the coaches- it happens. This team got much bigger issues than what happened in the last 14 seconds of that game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This team is perfectly capable of missing a message with or without Shea. Let’s not expand this mindless blame game. The last few seconds of this game was not handled properly by the players or the coaches- it happens. This team got much bigger issues than what happened in the last 14 seconds of that game.
I was not commenting on the last seconds but on the defensive effort of the guards in general. Just a mindless thought.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with you on this. I'm not so charged up over it really. But just for clarity, I just got done listening to GA's post game and really wanted to know his perspective on the defense and the 3rd qtr in particular and maybe why he didn't sub AG or Liv just a bit early in the 4th.

Anyway, GA said something about 'if it was less than 5 secs, we call the time out and if more than 5 secs we push it', Sounds perfect to me.

The question for me, and I am defending CW here, so I hope all notice this, how can players play defense, box out and get rebounds and know exactly the time on the clock. Also, it looked like CW was calling a timeout for at least a full second before it was granted...maybe she needs to be at a standstill to do this as she was advancing the ball at the time.

If the coaching staff are at the other end of the court, can the players hear them if they shout time out? If they can, then was this shouted?

Is there a designated players to call timeout? This is probably what I think works best is to get 2 designated players in charge of the time out. Others can call it too, but these two have ultimate responsibility. So say, you give this responsibility to your point guard who probably will not be battling for the rebound and then as a second option, maybe your 2G to call the timeout. What do you think?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was not commenting on the last seconds but on the defensive effort of the guards in general. Just a mindless thought.
Our forwards and center were pretty horrible defensively also so perhaps Shea had nothing to do with this.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The question for me, and I am defending CW here, so I hope all notice this, how can players play defense, box out and get rebounds and know exactly the time on the clock. Also, it looked like CW was calling a timeout for at least a full second before it was granted...maybe she needs to be at a standstill to do this as she was advancing the ball at the time.
If you were trying to defend CW right here you have done a poor job.
They were coming out of a time out Christyn and ALL the players should have been aware of the time situation. Two time situations to be more specific. It was AK possession so All the UConn players should have been well aware of the shot clock or how many seconds MAXIMUM that AK could hold on to the ball as well as how much time would be remaining on the shot clock after the change of possession.
Apparently UCONN was aware enough of the first item because they chose not to foul.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you were trying to defend CW right here you have done a poor job.
They were coming out of a time out Christyn and ALL the players should have been aware of the time situation. Two time situations to be more specific. It was AK possession so the UCONN should have been well aware of the shot clock or how many seconds MAXIMUM that AK could hold on to the ball as well as how much time would be remaining on the shot clock after the change of possession.
Apparently UCONN was aware enough of the first item because they chose not to foul.
but can she really know exactly what time is on the clock at that very moment? It is hard to keep one eye on the clock and one on the box out and rebound as well. she did call time out a second earlier. anyway, yeah, you are probably right. I guess I am getting tired of ragging on CW. :(

also, I haven't seen it talked about here and maybe it was, but was it not a shot-clock violation?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Our forwards and center were pretty horrible defensively also so perhaps Shea had nothing to do with this.
As Paige and Evina said at post game presser, they (the guards sic.) were making the same mistakes they were making in practice and the defensive breakdowns started from the guards. I think it might have been helpful for your position coach to give some in game thoughts in a (more palatable) way your head coach may not deliver. Since this is just idle speculation which can't be proved one way or the other, I will end by hoping Shea is back for this game

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with you on this. I'm not so charged up over it really. But just for clarity, I just got done listening to GA's post game and really wanted to know his perspective on the defense and the 3rd qtr in particular and maybe why he didn't sub AG or Liv just a bit early in the 4th.

Anyway, GA said something about 'if it was less than 5 secs, we call the time out and if more than 5 secs we push it', Sounds perfect to me.

If the coaching staff are at the other end of the court, can the players hear them if they shout time out? If they can, then was this shouted?

Is there a designated players to call timeout? This is probably what I think works best is to get 2 designated players in charge of the time out. Others can call it too, but these two have ultimate responsibility. So say, you give this responsibility to your point guard who probably will not be battling for the rebound and then as a second option, maybe your 2G to call the timeout. What do you think?
Appreciate your post. To a large extent it mirrors my OP in the thread I posted yesterday. (The Timeout)

Trying to execute and end of game possession, down 3 points against an experienced and well coached team is never easy, even for the very best teams.

Reaction Score
Appreciate your post. To a large extent it mirrors my OP in the thread I posted yesterday. (The Timeout)

Trying to execute and end of game possession, down 3 points against an experienced and well coached team is never easy, even for the very best teams.
I agree. I think I'll give them a pass on it this time. Now next time, I might explode and starting breaking things.....

Reaction Score

I believe a time-out can be called by the coach [who can prep the refs in advance of his intentions] if his team has possession, eh?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As Paige and Evina said at post game presser, they (the guards sic.) were making the same mistakes they were making in practice and the defensive breakdowns started from the guards. I think it might have been helpful for your position coach to give some in game thoughts in a (more palatable) way your head coach may not deliver. Since this is just idle speculation which can't be proved one way or the other, I will end by hoping Shea is back for this game
So you don't think the head cocah or CD is capable or actually gave those instructions to the guards?

Reaction Score
I believe a time-out can be called by the coach [who can prep the refs in advance of his intentions] if his team has possession, eh?
ok but can he prep the refs and say: I want a time out if we get the rebound with less than 5 secs? If not, is there a ref close enough to GA on the other side of the court that will hear him if he says time out? Otherwise, can he jump in the middle of court and yell time out? The last question is in jest, but I think in that situation, the refs would not dare to call a Tech.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The prepping of the refs is a really interesting thought that I suspect was not enacted, maybe because the initial strategy assumed UConn gets the ball back with 5+ seconds and pushes it up the court to get an open 3.

Looking at the game film, as Christyn starts to dribble up the court, you can see Geno, outside the coaching box waiving his arm and calling for a timeout at the nearest sideline ref. How long it took for the ref to recognize that request and blow his whistle can’t be determined from the game film.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Ah.... The Time Out Thread;AKA A Pity party and litany of excuses specifically designed to hold no one accountable AKA "it is not easy". It gets harder when you don't hold people accountable.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
but can she really know exactly what time is on the clock at that very moment? It is hard to keep one eye on the clock and one on the box out and rebound as well. she did call time out a second earlier. anyway, yeah, you are probably right. I guess I am getting tired of ragging on CW. :(

also, I haven't seen it talked about here and maybe it was, but was it not a shot-clock violation?
Not every moment- that moment. CW was the one that rebounded the AK miss. Again CW and Every other player on the floor should have know that AK HAD TO SHOOT before the clock hit 4.3.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ah.... The Time Out Thread;AKA A Pity party and litany of excuses specifically designed to hold no one accountable AKA "it is not easy". It gets harder when you don't hold people accountable.
Give it a rest Coco. We’ve been all over this, and I don’t hold “no one accountable.” I specifically suggest Geno overcoached the situation.

Beyond that, whatever bug you have up your *** about me is tiresome for everyone on the BY and serves no useful purpose.

While you are one of the more knowledgeable people on this forum, you frequently misstate other peoples comments and refuse to even consider anyone’s position if it does not align with your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom