Arkansas Postgame Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaeman

CT transplant to DMV
Reaction Score
She just isn't progressing. It was painful to watch her in the first half, because she commits the same mistakes so often: first, she waits about three seconds before doing anything, giving the defense time to move to her. Then she starts dribbling. That permits the double- and triple-team to just go for the ball, and steal it from her. Incredible!!! She can't figure out that she has to move fast when she gets the ball, and minimize dribbling. She either gets the ball stolen, or else she has to stop her dribble and pass to someone else. ONO is a liability against good teams. And with just a freshman backup, our lack of bigs hurts us against strong teams. That dearth in the middle cost us the game.
Complete agreement. First step is to keep your head up. No need to look down when dribbling

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree in most part. Where I differ is with AE, I would hope by now she would be learning to temper her bull in a china shop mentality. Yes I want her to play hard and physical BB, however she needs to stay in the game. It has become obvious that Liv is having some of the problems she displayed in the past, making it more important for AE to be available for more minutes.
It’s not unusual for a post player to have a longer learning curve than guards. They’re used to being the tallest, strongest player on the floor in high school but in college, there are a lot of players as tall or strong, if not stronger. Now, a post player needs to learn plays, how to work within the flow of an offense, and proper footwork rather than just shoot over the shorter high school kids. It takes a while.

Heck, Tina Charles and Asjha Jones, two of my favorites, were always good but they both needed until their late sophomore/early junior years to “get it” and start dominating with regularity.

Reaction Score
In this game, the problem was not our offense, despite numerous miss shots by CW and nothing from Liv. We scored 87 – could have been 100.

Can’t give up 90 and expect to win. Ark must have shot over 50% from 3 and from the field. But…..they have a lot of experienced players and have played a lot more games and they were at home and had a hot hand! We played about as bad on defense as I think any UCONN team has in a long time. This team will not go far until it gets better on the defensive end!

My 2 cents on the 4th Qtr:

Early on - Nice dribble drive with a cross over by NM to get the ball to CW then to EW for the three. This is how to do it!!! Dribble penetrate and kick!

CW loses her man on the inbounds pass and Mir gets the foul trying to cover for her mistake. CW has NO sense of urgency on defense! I think next year, she will not play much unless her overall game, especially her defense improves. Allows yet another dribble penetration but gets the block…at least she didn’t give up on it. Any coach who watches UCONN is telling his guards that anytime they are matched up with CW, just take her to the hole!

Mir- very poor defensive technique that she should have learned when she was 12 years old – don’t give up the baseline! Got her second charge call…that is like getting two steals. Should have been 3. Doesn’t need to act as much as she does however. She likes to take the big flop. She is going to get whiplash swinging her head back like that! Nice job though! Poor defense on Ramiriz. Her defense is a ‘hit and miss’ at this point, but expected from a freshie.

NM – nice pass to Mir on the roll – I think Mir was fouled. Another nice dribble drive by NM and kick to EW. This is what happens when we can hit open jumpers!!! EW getting it done!! I will say that NM made Dungee work and that is all you can ask the freshie to do. Dungee got bailed out with the foul by Mir. Dungee has about the quickest spin move I’ve seen this side of Kobe Bryant! Dungee is like A Dantley and knows how to draw the fouls as well. If Mir was one more inch further out, I think it is a charge. Mir is entitled to jump straight up which she did and then Dungee wisely launched herself into her to get the bail out foul. Savvy 5th year senior.

PB – took over the 4th. She is flat out amazing good. Thus far she is as good as any freshie we have had. I thought she was due for a real break out game that ended up being a breakout 4th quarter.

Tied with 5 to go and had the ball…what happened? Why is AG not in the game? I like Mir but we need more size to snag offensive rebounds. Should have taken CW out and put AG in. AG can throw up bricks just as good as CW can! She might even make one!!

Poor NM – her 3rd three was half way down at around 3 to go….that shot would have been huge!! Then she has another nice dribble penetrate and kick…Kid is getting consistent with it! EW strikes again!

Then Dungee abuses CW again! Why is our worst perimeter defender on Dungee?? Shot by Slocum over PB was a killer at 1.56. Just after the Liv block (CW can’t fight through the screen). That was a back-breaker!

Explosive take by CW. Now that was nice! Missed the FT AGAIN!

Look like a shot clock violation to me at the end.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In this game, the problem was not our offense, despite numerous miss shots by CW and nothing from Liv. We scored 87 – could have been 100.

Can’t give up 90 and expect to win. Ark must have shot over 50% from 3 and from the field. But…..they have a lot of experienced players and have played a lot more games and they were at home and had a hot hand! We played about as bad on defense as I think any UCONN team has in a long time. This team will not go far until it gets better on the defensive end!

My 2 cents on the 4th Qtr:

Early on - Nice dribble drive with a cross over by NM to get the ball to CW then to EW for the three. This is how to do it!!! Dribble penetrate and kick!

CW loses her man on the inbounds pass and Mir gets the foul trying to cover for her mistake. CW has NO sense of urgency on defense! I think next year, she will not play much unless her overall game, especially her defense improves. Allows yet another dribble penetration but gets the block…at least she didn’t give up on it. Any coach who watches UCONN is telling his guards that anytime they are matched up with CW, just take her to the hole!

Mir- very poor defensive technique that she should have learned when she was 12 years old – don’t give up the baseline! Got her second charge call…that is like getting two steals. Should have been 3. Doesn’t need to act as much as she does however. She likes to take the big flop. She is going to get whiplash swinging her head back like that! Nice job though! Poor defense on Ramiriz. Her defense is a ‘hit and miss’ at this point, but expected from a freshie.

NM – nice pass to Mir on the roll – I think Mir was fouled. Another nice dribble drive by NM and kick to EW. This is what happens when we can hit open jumpers!!! EW getting it done!! I will say that NM made Dungee work and that is all you can ask the freshie to do. Dungee got bailed out with the foul by Mir. Dungee has about the quickest spin move I’ve seen this side of Kobe Bryant! Dungee is like A Dantley and knows how to draw the fouls as well. If Mir was one more inch further out, I think it is a charge. Mir is entitled to jump straight up which she did and then Dungee wisely launched herself into her to get the bail out foul. Savvy 5th year senior.

PB – took over the 4th. She is flat out amazing good. Thus far she is as good as any freshie we have had. I thought she was due for a real break out game that ended up being a breakout 4th quarter.

Tied with 5 to go and had the ball…what happened? Why is AG not in the game? I like Mir but we need more size to snag offensive rebounds. Should have taken CW out and put AG in. AG can throw up bricks just as good as CW can! She might even make one!!

Poor NM – her 3rd three was half way down at around 3 to go….that shot would have been huge!! Then she has another nice dribble penetrate and kick…Kid is getting consistent with it! EW strikes again!

Then Dungee abuses CW again! Why is our worst perimeter defender on Dungee?? Shot by Slocum over PB was a killer at 1.56. Just after the Liv block (CW can’t fight through the screen). That was a back-breaker!

Explosive take by CW. Now that was nice! Missed the FT AGAIN!

Look like a shot clock violation to me at the end.
Would it be possible to unbold your post. You make some good points just strains the eye.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Georgia had a great post presence in Jenna Staiti 6'6" and sturdy she had 20 and 13 in that game.
I evidently was thinking about another game Georgia won. I thought it was that one.

Reaction Score
Would it be possible to unbold your post. You make some good points just strains the eye.

1611944611451.png

Reaction Score
This is exactly how i feel, we will continue to struggle against the better teams because of our short comings in the post. South Carolina will gives us trouble there, but they lack sufficient guard play in my opinion, so i think we beat them. Teams with both good guards and posts like Stanford will beat us THIS YEAR! next year our great guard play and deep bench might hide our lack of inside play. I honestly thought she turned the corner after dominating early this year, but like you said, she just doesn't get it done in big games and even worse doesn't even contribute. at least contribute and maybe we get the win.
Both of SC guards are listed in the ESPN midseason top 25 players in the country but you are saying we "lack sufficient guard play". I know it is your opinion but obviously you haven't watched a lot of SC games. Cooke leads the team in scoring and Henderson is one of the fastest if not the fastest point guard in the country.

Reaction Score
Geno is playing the freshmen a lot. They’re still learning the “regular” offense (some sophomores are, too) and may not be ready for wrinkles yet.
Just as many of the players are still learning, so is Geno. Alot of new moving parts that perform differently depending on what combinations are in game. Geno has been the first to comment on the defensive and offensive strategies that currently are not working. Certainly fair for the Boneyard to also comment on the results of the many "tests" he is putting team through. A good coach evolves depending on the feedback his team gives him. Suggest we minimize the overreaction from the blow out games and look forward to how Geno gets team ready for Final 4.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A little perspective is in order. Over the past decade:

UConn 356-20
Baylor 340-25
ND 323-49
Stanford 301-58
South Carolina 281-65
Tennessee 254-89
Unfortunately I am not living in the last decade! Had to say something to give folks a second chance at your post.

Reaction Score
I think she'll figure out that part. But she has strength, quickness, and supreme aggressiveness. She'll be a star.
I believe so too.

I'm still getting used to seeing her at a 5 versus a 3/4 position player. It's not something I recall her doing a lot of when she played in HS. Not saying that she can't but it's definitely an adjustment which I think she's has been handling well considering. Hopefully once Gabriel and DeBerry get acclimated (and yes I know it could be a while), she'll be able to be more of the wing player I've seen her excel at.

Even with the fouls, her numbers were better than Nelson-Ododa and even Coach Auriemma said she provided better minutes when in the game. I have to find this game on YouTube as I was confused as to how she was at 4 fouls in the 3rd. I thought she only had 2 at half time. ?‍♀️

Reaction Score
Does Liv have the bulk to get position down low consistenly?
Good one! Like anywhere on the court, you work to get open. Cutting, screening, getting in an athletic position, giving the passer a target, chinning the ball (old school- receive ball, hold it firmly in your 2 hands under your chin with elbows out, then you look and feel for the defender and you make a move dependent on where the defender is playing you), DON'T PUT THE BALL ON THE FLOOR OR BRING IT DOWN.

Reaction Score
Both of SC guards are listed in the ESPN midseason top 25 players in the country but you are saying we "lack sufficient guard play". I know it is your opinion but obviously you haven't watched a lot of SC games. Cooke leads the team in scoring and Henderson is one of the fastest if not the fastest point guard in the country.
Like I said, we’re gonna win that game. It won’t be easy, but we will win.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I believe so too.

I'm still getting used to seeing her at a 5 versus a 3/4 position player. It's not something I recall her doing a lot of when she played in HS. Not saying that she can't but it's definitely an adjustment which I think she's has been handling well considering. Hopefully once Gabriel and DeBerry get acclimated (and yes I know it could be a while), she'll be able to be more of the wing player I've seen her excel at.

Even with the fouls, her numbers were better than Nelson-Ododa and even Coach Auriemma said she provided better minutes when in the game. I have to find this game on YouTube as I was confused as to how she was at 4 fouls in the 3rd. I thought she only had 2 at half time. ?‍♀️
I believe that Aaliyah got her 4th and 5th fouls about 30 seconds apart (guesstimate). She got a defensive foul and as she was moving to get offensive position on the very next UConn possession, she ran into a Razorback who blindsided Aaliyah. I don't remember any of her other fouls.
This is from memory as I have not seen the replay (and will not watch it).

Reaction Score
I believe that Aaliyah got her 4th and 5th fouls about 30 seconds apart (guesstimate). She got a defensive foul and as she was moving to get offensive position on the very next UConn possession, she ran into a Razorback who blindsided Aaliyah. I don't remember any of her other fouls.
Thanks. I saw the back to back ones. It's the 3rd foul that I'm perplexed about.

Will hand it to Martinez (begrudgingly) as she knew how to take advantage of the situation. I think she was the player who drew both of the fouls on Aaliyah in the 3rd.

Reaction Score
i thought her first foul was BS. the last one was bad luck and lack of awareness but mostly bad luck

Reaction Score
It’s a non-conference regular season game. A loss isn’t the end of the world. I’m sure Geno and the team aren’t going to lose any sleep over this one. They put up 87 points, 95% of time that’s a win. Ya tip your hat to RKansas and move on. The sun will rise in the East tomorrow.
Geno should lose some sleep over this one. For the 2nd consecutive Thursday he was totally out-coached. Jim Neighbors totally nullified our size advantage [Liv got off only two shots, making one] and our most unreliable shooter took the most shots [17] and missed many open 3s, making none.
For the past two years, our offense has bogged down against the good teams forcing us to go one-on-one just to get off a shot! We need to re-think our offense with all of the [supposed] talent we have, eh?
Against Arkansas, with their dribble-drive offense, UConn played their version of the "matador defense", allowing their guards to drive [unimpeded] to the bottom of the circle. My question is: what are they spending their time doing in practice? With all of the [supposed] talent we have, why aren't our players getting good defensive instructions in practice?
It's a conundrum for sure!

Reaction Score
Hey, we almost won the game! I personally like close games vs blow-outs! I bet these kids can’t wait until Sunday’s game vs DePaul! I know I’m really looking forward to it! Lots of bright moments yesterday, just needed to guard Dungee better. Bring on DePaul! And...I’d love to see Arkansas again in March Madness......

Reaction Score
Maybe this sort of game is where we miss having a senior Megan Walker in the lineup. You'd have three #1 recruits in on the floor.

Reaction Score
Please don’t blame the refs. They had nothing to do with the loss
I think they did. they were very aggressive and did not result in fouls. Dungee constantly pushed and hit while driving.They swarmed Olivia and Williams at times and never a foul, yet we got called for everything. With covid we probably really got hometown refs. It showed. Many posters had similar comments.

Reaction Score
A tough loss...My question has been...do we know who we have and now we know a little better.

The team defense is not good enough to compete at the highest level
It's an area in which we either improve...or struggle against good offensive teams.

I also noted earlier that we have a lot of talent in addition to our upperclassmen...at that point not considering Evina...today, after
Christyn's wonderful 1st quarter, the upperclassmen didn't show up much. Perhaps Geno's right...If Olivia doesn't show up, its hard for this team to win...

The youngsters all had important moments and fought hard...Nika will be a player, Mir will be a player, If Aaliyah would have stayed in the game, it might have been enough, Paige was Paige and Mama played well...

If one peruses the box score, there's not much to see...we had a few more rebounds, but their "O" boards really helped them...

There were just passive moments, where we were outplayed and didn't respond defensively, with heart and conviction, or on the boards...They were confident and ready...didn't collapse this time...and their scorers, scored.

I'm never a fan of losing...good loss or all that bull...but the sense of entitlement worried me...At least that balloon is punctured.
Doubt Paige came into UConn thinking she would be the best player on the team with the second best player coming back from multiple surgeries. Probably shocking and not inline with her pass first team building sensitivities.
UCONN is solid in every phase of the game. The recruiting has not suffered...it's been spread around. The high school programs are developing more and better players and UCONN can only take a few of those each season. The parity is good and I stated in another thread, UCONN is the reason WBB is a big part of the national scene. The UCONN 101 game streak brought national attention. The 11 titles in the broad national media age brought even more attention to WBB on every level. Parity is good now for WBB, where as UCONN's dominance was good for it the years prior. UCONN is going to be UCONN for years to come. They are just going to have to share the championships now with other programs. UCONN will be fine....

Reaction Score
I think this is a reminder of what an exceptional run that 111 winning streak was with every team trying their dam nest to end the streak and who can blame them
The ARK game is a prime example of why that streak may never be duplicated: A team shooting the lights out led by a presumptive AA on a mission.
Lets remember their glory and enjoy the exciting freshman class develop into a championship team

Reaction Score
Geno should lose some sleep over this one. For the 2nd consecutive Thursday he was totally out-coached. Jim Neighbors totally nullified our size advantage [Liv got off only two shots, making one] and our most unreliable shooter took the most shots [17] and missed many open 3s, making none.
For the past two years, our offense has bogged down against the good teams forcing us to go one-on-one just to get off a shot! We need to re-think our offense with all of the [supposed] talent we have, eh?
Against Arkansas, with their dribble-drive offense, UConn played their version of the "matador defense", allowing their guards to drive [unimpeded] to the bottom of the circle. My question is: what are they spending their time doing in practice? With all of the [supposed] talent we have, why aren't our players getting good defensive instructions in practice?
It's a conundrum for sure!
I agree that he got out-coached.

I can't see why he would not have played AG for CW in the last part of the game. CW guarding Dungee is criminal. Actually CW guarding anybody in this game is criminal! We are up 2 and have the ball with 5:30 or so to go. Had a TO and at this point we needed the right players on the floor for the stretch run. At this point you take CW out and put AG in and also take Mir out and Liv in for some size and rebounding. Having Liv would have helped with protecting the rim on two drives: one by Dungee who got bailed out with foul on Mir at roughly the 520 mark and then later on when Ramiriz went to the basket. We win with AG and Liv in the game the last 5-6 minutes.

A fresh AG on a tired Dungee is much better than CW on anybody. Having size with Liv helped in the last 3 minutes with her pics and 3 open three pointers. Unfortunately, we only hit one. We also had the threat of the pick and roll and the pic and switch which PB took advantage on with another 3. Liv also got the block down the stretch as well. So at least GA put Liv in when he did because it certainly helped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak