Arkansas Postgame Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You nailed it. But since I have to vent, here is my take;

1. Olivia may not be suited for playing center. She could do nothing, despite her significant height advantage and experience level.
2. Williams is the worst " high school player of the year " in history. She can't be counted on for anything.
3. Evina is a rock and, without her, we would have lost a long while back, to DePaul or someone.
4. Paige can and must take over games ( though I think her ankle is still a bit limiting ).
5. Aubrey surprised me by fading into a non factor in this game. She cannot shoot threes. And they knew it and gave her every opportunity. And they were right.
6. Edwards is like a wrecking ball. She fouls every time she moves. I give her this; she is tough, aggressive and full of energy. But she can't be counted upon for much. Not yet.
7. Muhl played pretty well and hit a couple shots. She is a decent defender. But not a real player on offense. Not yet.
8. McClain spends more time splayed on the court than anyone in the league. Her main game seems to be: try to draw a charge. And more often, she is called for the foul. She did hit a three, which is a good sign. But it seemed like a mistake, somehow.

The team does not play like a team at all. The reliable UCONN defense wasn't in the arena, and no " adjustments " seemed to change a thing. I was shocked that the game ended with a narrow point margin, not that we lost. Probably a useful loss. But I cannot imagine this team progressing beyond the sweet sixteen. Can you?

Don't blame Liv [or AE] .. blame the coaches for not developing an inside game with those two studs .. and what about UConn's vaunted motion offense, eh? Last year and this year, against the tough teams, the offense didn't work, and we had to go one-on-one just to get our shots off. Last year it was MW; this year it was Pai

Don't blame Liv [or AE] .. blame the coaches for not developing an inside game with those two studs .. and what about UConn's vaunted motion offense, eh? Last year and this year, against the tough teams, the offense didn't work, and we had to go one-on-one just to get our shots off. Last year it was MW; this year it was Paige.
Never second guessing the great Geno. But It would be nice to see us throw in a few wrinkles offensively and maybe run spread offense.

I think playing Liv high post consistently, is advantage to the opponents defense. Her player just lags off and clogs the lanes when she plays high post. She often is having to fight thru the trash. If playing more Mid to low her defender would have to pay her more singular attention due to the fact that she's more of a threat in those areas. The Wing players would have more options of finding her when dribble penetration happens.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Never second guessing the great Geno. But It would be nice to see us throw in a few wrinkles offensively and maybe run spread offense.

I think playing Liv high post consistently, is advantage to the opponents defense. Her player just lags off and clogs the lanes when she plays high post. She often is having to fight thru the trash. If playing more Mid to low her defender would have to pay her more singular attention due to the fact that she's more of a threat in those areas. The Wing players would have more options of finding her when dribble penetration happens.
Geno is playing the freshmen a lot. They’re still learning the “regular” offense (some sophomores are, too) and may not be ready for wrinkles yet.

Reaction Score
Arkansas looked like the more seasoned team who has played 18 games and against 8 ranked quality opponents. UCONN played well and good enough to win this game. We had our moments. Geno and our girls will be ok.!
My thoughts exactly...Arkansas has played more games and against much better opponents...that really makes a difference...they were aggressive from the jump...playing less games and lesser quality opponents has definitely hurt us and with only one more quality opponent, not to dis DePaul, left on the schedule it could spell problems for us come tournament time.

Reaction Score
She just isn't progressing. It was painful to watch her in the first half, because she commits the same mistakes so often: first, she waits about three seconds before doing anything, giving the defense time to move to her. Then she starts dribbling. That permits the double- and triple-team to just go for the ball, and steal it from her. Incredible!!! She can't figure out that she has to move fast when she gets the ball, and minimize dribbling. She either gets the ball stolen, or else she has to stop her dribble and pass to someone else. ONO is a liability against good teams. And with just a freshman backup, our lack of bigs hurts us against strong teams. That dearth in the middle cost us the game.
This is exactly how i feel, we will continue to struggle against the better teams because of our short comings in the post. South Carolina will gives us trouble there, but they lack sufficient guard play in my opinion, so i think we beat them. Teams with both good guards and posts like Stanford will beat us THIS YEAR! next year our great guard play and deep bench might hide our lack of inside play. I honestly thought she turned the corner after dominating early this year, but like you said, she just doesn't get it done in big games and even worse doesn't even contribute. at least contribute and maybe we get the win.

Reaction Score
No post presence. Well, Georgia did not have a post presence and beat Arkansas. Tennessee used their big players more efficiently than UConn did. Arkansas does not play good defense especially when defending the drive. I thought UConn with Griffin and Williams would be driving all game. Also, usually when a player has a hot first half against UConn they don't score as much in the second half. UConn had no answer for Dungee or Ramirez. Allowing 30 points in the third quarter was inexcusable. If you can watch the Tennessee Arkansas game and see how badly Tennessee beat them. Also, where are all the Nika bashers now and the people who said Mir would not play meaningful minutes in an important game? Give the freshmen time.
I have to argue that Georgia got 20 and 13 from their center...I watched that game and she was a huge part of that win...she was aggressive and assertive and calling for the ball...she keeps it high when she catches it and goes right to the rim...ONO could learn a lot from her.

Reaction Score
Well why didn't he get her out when she got the 4th. I don't want to hear the "he wanted to leave her in to see if she could play with 4" nonsense. Nobody could guard anyone. The game moves to quick for Geno sometimes.
I think he left her in to show her she can’t play with four so in the future play more carefully and don’t get four!

Reaction Score
There was a stretch of several possessions late in the third quarter or early in the fourth when Nika was face-guarding Dungee. All Dungee got in that stretch was a couple of foul shots from a foul on Mir. I don't know why they switched away from that.
With Nika receiving a few shoves/pushes (maybe an elbow) from Dungee.

Reaction Score
Dungee kicked our arse. Period.

But Connecticut is a team that never lets one player beat us. Coach Geno always finds a way to neutralize the other team's best player. But this year the team just hasn't stepped up on defense, as Coach Geno has said repeatedly. This loss comes after a terrible outing against Georgetown when the defense declined in the second half. There's a pattern here....

Reaction Score
So, after reflection I say this:

1. At one point in the second half our BEST line up was 4 freshman and Evina. Think about that. Not one of those kids even had a uniform on in a game last year that said UCONN across the chest. Arkansas' 3 best players were all 5th year seniors. This game will be invaluable on the experience end. Think about what the 2017 E8 loss did for the last year's Oregon seniors. Not nearly the same game importance, but exactly the same teachable moment and experience builder.

2. I will not bash ONO or Christyn as I think they're good players, but 9 times out of 10 against ranked opponents, their games just don't translate for whatever reason.

3. Last night I was pissed, but today I think this is a good thing.

Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly...Arkansas has played more games and against much better opponents...that really makes a difference...they were aggressive from the jump...playing less games and lesser quality opponents has definitely hurt us and with only one more quality opponent, not to dis DePaul, left on the schedule it could spell problems for us come tournament time.
We also have South Carolina left too

Reaction Score
**Dungee is not a pro talent. She will have trouble making a roster, IMO. She is crafty, but that doesn't work in the pros.
I’d take her as the first guard in the draft and not be too worried about it.

She is physical and relentless. That works.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
You nailed it. But since I have to vent, here is my take;

1. Olivia may not be suited for playing center. She could do nothing, despite her significant height advantage and experience level.
2. Williams is the worst " high school player of the year " in history. She can't be counted on for anything.
3. Evina is a rock and, without her, we would have lost a long while back, to DePaul or someone.
4. Paige can and must take over games ( though I think her ankle is still a bit limiting ).
5. Aubrey surprised me by fading into a non factor in this game. She cannot shoot threes. And they knew it and gave her every opportunity. And they were right.
6. Edwards is like a wrecking ball. She fouls every time she moves. I give her this; she is tough, aggressive and full of energy. But she can't be counted upon for much. Not yet.
7. Muhl played pretty well and hit a couple shots. She is a decent defender. But not a real player on offense. Not yet.
8. McClain spends more time splayed on the court than anyone in the league. Her main game seems to be: try to draw a charge. And more often, she is called for the foul. She did hit a three, which is a good sign. But it seemed like a mistake, somehow.

The team does not play like a team at all. The reliable UCONN defense wasn't in the arena, and no " adjustments " seemed to change a thing. I was shocked that the game ended with a narrow point margin, not that we lost. Probably a useful loss. But I cannot imagine this team progressing beyond the sweet sixteen. Can you?
#5 also not a ball handler or passer.

Reaction Score
But Connecticut is a team that never lets one player beat us. Coach Geno always finds a way to neutralize the other team's best player. But this year the team just hasn't stepped up on defense, as Coach Geno has said repeatedly. This loss comes after a terrible outing against Georgetown when the defense declined in the second half. There's a pattern here....
We don't have the squad this year. Things will improve next year.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
According to coach all season has been limiting her minutes She plays position defense and rebounds. Defense always plays her doesn't collapse inside

Reaction Score
We also have South Carolina left too
That’s who I was counting as the one quality opponent. I don’t really consider DePaul to be on that level, that’s why I said “not to dis DePaul”.

Reaction Score
My first have 2 cents on the first half:

We have only played 10 games and ARK has played several more than us. They have 3 5th year seniors and we are young. They have savvy players and we are naïve. That and very poor perimeter defense which became horrendous defense in the 3rd Qtr, lost us the game.

We are getting that pull-up jumper past the first line of defense in 1st Qtr and making most of them. Defense backed off AG to double Liv and AG has to hit that shot.

Miscommunication on zone defense (CW involved THREE times – second time AG covers CW’s space in the zone and then can’t get back to the corner in time for the 3) leads to 9 easy points for Ark. This is just too easy for ARK. Find where CW is and shoot it from her area….

AG – nice defense on several possessions, can only blame her once. Nice post up, rebound and steal. Nice recognition in the offense to swing the ball to a wide open CW for a brick. Needs to pass or shoot and not think so much. Nice hustle to get the held ball. Terrific offensive board. Hit the three before half-huge! Had good Defense in the early 2nd but just better offense by Dungee. Another good defensive possession on Dungee. Poor defense against McDaniels. I don’t think you can complain too much with AG’s defensive performance in the first half.

Liv – so far from the basket that she has to dribble and back down and not being careful of the double team. Where is she? This isn’t her type of game. Pace is too fast and not going to a script that she is comfortable with.

CW – missed roughly 15 three pointers in a row now counting the last game. She throws up some ugly bricks! Poor defense on multiple occasions, and then gave up on a rebound after getting beat which cost us 2pts. Poor recognition on the double team. Does CW know how to anticipate or fight through a screen? No instincts on defense!

EW -nice pick and roll with AE on the soft finish – AE not breaking backboards today! Don’t agree with first offensive foul on AE. You can call this every time down the court and then we don’t have anybody to play the second half! Two takes to the basket – nice work. Terrific offensive board.

NM – excellent defense in stopping the player, despite the change of direction. No shucking and no jiving, just catch and shoot. She got the second and third ones down! Got juked to the baseline and fouled. Then over-played badly to her left in anticipation of the pick. Love the recognition though. Kid is learning and watching film. She almost recovered.

PB – not in the flow yet but we still scored 43 and it would have been close to 50 if CW can just hit the darn shot!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My first have 2 cents on the pivotal 3rd Qtr:

Third Qtr perimeter defense was awful. Uconn lost the game in the first 5 minutes of the third! Ark hitting wide open 3s and Uconn missing short to mid range jumpers. So many open 3 pointers for Ark. Did out team get a scouting report?

That was not an offensive foul on EW. Player still moving her feet and EW didn’t plow into her.

CW-Two open mid to short-range shots = two bricks! Blocked on another and then GA says to hell with this, let’s do the same thing with PB instead. Then she blows two FTs! Then misses from the corner. Incredibly poor defense. She is bringing nothing to the game. If you she can’t score, then she needs to be sat on the bench and let AG play instead. At least then, you got some defense, rebounding and some points as well. Not sure why Geno kept her in so long. I thought a group with PB, NM, EW, AG and AE would give a good balance of offense and defense – at least in this game anyway. CW is a liability on defense.

EW and CW can’t stay with Dungee.

Not fair to ask Mir to guard Dungee. Dungee is too savvy. Refs like their offensive charges calls on UCONN but what about the obvious pushoff by Dungee??

Stop the presses: At 2:35 of the 3rd, NM has made her first layup in a UCONN uniform, after a beautiful hesitation and take to the hoop. Kid is getting beeettttteeeer…..

MM finally gets the charge call and then nails the 3 pointer. Not sure I care for her reaction afterwards though…Good minutes!

NM shows some nice defense on Dungee. Not perfect but Dungee is crafty and a 5th year senior and NM is in her 9 or 10 game as a freshie…

CW has one responsibility on D when she comes back in, guard the darn corner shot and instead, she gets lost and Ark hits the 3. Same theme over and over…Let’s just say it like it is: CW can’t play defense!

EW – she has been very good all game long on the offensive end..hits the three, takes it to the hole, etc. . Not the best on defense or fighting through a screen.

Late three at the end of the third really hurt. Good defense but better offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’d take her as the first guard in the draft and not be too worried about it.

She is physical and relentless. That works.
Ok-but being a high draft pick and actually making a roster or an impact in this draft, don't go hand in hand.

Reaction Score
A little perspective is in order. Over the past decade:

UConn 356-20
Baylor 340-25
ND 323-49
Stanford 301-58
South Carolina 281-65
Tennessee 254-89
Yeah, but look at the conference wins, one patsy after another.

Reaction Score
Why is every loss a cataclysmic event around here? Why must there be some greater meaning attached to a 3-point loss in a basketball game? Why do fans of so many other teams feel compelled to offer thoughts on why UConn lost a basketball game to a team that shot lights out and scored more points? It’s remarkable. Maybe I’m suffering from Pandemic Perspective.
UConnCat: Absolutely no attack here but maybe I can help one with the tag line of wise woman.
I'll answer your questions with a question. Why does a blue moon, solar eclipse or someone struck by lightning make the news? ;)

Reaction Score
End of game doesn’t matter. EW still had a make able shot. Not sure things would’ve gone better with a few more seconds.
They needed the few seconds since the official waved off Westbrook's shot as she was taking it.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I thought the freshmen were great. I don’t know that we could have expected more from them.
I agree in most part. Where I differ is with AE, I would hope by now she would be learning to temper her bull in a china shop mentality. Yes I want her to play hard and physical BB, however she needs to stay in the game. It has become obvious that Liv is having some of the problems she displayed in the past, making it more important for AE to be available for more minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom