April recruiting thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

April recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone have any information on when Toby Fournier is going to make her choice? She reminds me a lot of Stewie. I’m hoping Aaliyah has some pull there being that they attend the same high school.
B6966B2C-B603-4E3C-A331-15FA0B0CBB9A.jpeg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
All rested up now, GA gettin all cocky again. Sounds like he's got a couple silents in the bag. @Sluconn Husky, who's on your wish list now for '24 and '25 ?

Geno keeps making these cryptic comments about potential unknown recruits. It's been 3-1/2 months since his last one and no new verbals have been announced. It's so odd. Unless he's talking about Ziebell and Fisher alone, I can't figure it out.

As far as a wish list of '24, the top two remain the same: Sarah Strong and Kennedy Smith. It feels like Smith is a longshot at this point though. Worse might be where Smith ends up. Cheli is right there with those two. Love Cambridge but doubt that's happening. Which leads to Imary Berry who I like quite a bit. She'd be a great consolation to losing out on Cambridge. Also like Heckel. Wouldn't be disappointed with Carlton or Fournier either.

I need to see more '25 players, but ZaKiyah Johnson, Dee Alexander, Jazzy Davidson, and Ayla McDowell are easily the top-4 at this point. Chavez is a wonderkind but I can't see that happening. Also intrigued by Keeley Parks and Grace Knox. But again, I need to see more of them.

Reaction Score
Geno keeps making these cryptic comments about potential unknown recruits. It's been 3-1/2 months since his last one and no new verbals have been announced. It's so odd. Unless he's talking about Ziebell and Fisher alone, I can't figure it out.

As far as a wish list of '24, the top two remain the same: Sarah Strong and Kennedy Smith. It feels like Smith is a longshot at this point though. Worse might be where Smith ends up. Cheli is right there with those two. Love Cambridge but doubt that's happening. Which leads to Imary Berry who I like quite a bit. She'd be a great consolation to losing out on Cambridge. Also like Heckel. Wouldn't be disappointed with Carlton or Fournier either.

I need to see more '25 players, but ZaKiyah Johnson, Dee Alexander, Jazzy Davidson, and Ayla McDowell are easily the top-4 at this point. Chavez is a wonderkind but I can't see that happening. Also intrigued by Keeley Parks and Grace Knox. But again, I need to see more of them.
I agree, it's a little odd. It's hard to remember the last time GA started talking 1-2 years down the road like this. As you know, I like Ziebell as much as anyone does. But I don't feel that just she and Fisher in '25 would be enough to get him talking like this. Got to be a lot more.
For '24 my guess would be probably Cheli and maybe Strong. And possibly an under the radar (IMO) kid like Fournier who I think is going to be very versatile in college. One thing I'd be looking for in at least one of these two classes would be a big defensive anchor to develop and it's not going to be found in the US '25 class, there's just nobody there that's big enough. Either possibly Tac '24 or an as of now unknown to us international kid.
In '25 all of the top impact kids are all in that 5-9 to 6-1 range and I also think they'll all go elsewhere. However, I really like Dee Alexander and Ohio isn't that far away. I've just got a feeling that he has at least 2 and maybe 3 international kids on his radar for these two classes and I hope at least one is a big, mobile post. And BTW, I'll throw in a request to fill that 15th scholly this year with this 19 y.o. 6-3 Croatian kid they just started following, Dorga Iva Zaja. All kinds of potential with this one.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
After seeing Geno's comments on video today, I think the reports by UConn beat writers misconstrued what he said. Geno's cryptic comments are about 2024, not both '24 and '25.

He didn't say next year AND the following year, he said next year...the following year, differentiating 2024 from 2023.

In other words, these comments are basically the same cryptic ones he made at a January press conference.

Reaction Score

What about Justy Jocyte?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What about Justy Jocyte?
Jocyte signed a 3-yr contract to play for Tony Parker’s team, Lyon ASVEL, in 2019 as a “youth league” player, which gives her the opportunity to still play college basketball in the US, if she so chooses. Jocyte would be an amazing addition to UConn. But the question has always been whether she would go directly to the pros.

Reaction Score
Jocyte signed a 3-yr contract to play for Tony Parker’s team, Lyon ASVEL, in 2019 as a “youth league” player, which gives her the opportunity to still play college basketball in the US, if she so chooses. Jocyte would be an amazing addition to UConn. But the question has always been whether she would go directly to the pros.
This is pure speculation, but to the extent that Geno suggests another recruit is coming that has not been announced, you could see how a player in the position of Jocyte, might not want to declare early. At the end of her last season on Parker's team sure, but announcing you are leaving a team you could stay with while still playing for them is difficult. It is different for high school players because their time there is set in stone.

Not saying this necessarily relates to Justin, just saying the reason for holding off on announcing a decision would be greater for a player in her position.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Geno has at least a couple of pocket commits. :)

What happens if we have more pocket commits than roster spots? I know that's unlikely, but in theory Aaliyah and Nika both have a COVID year available after next season, and Paige and Aubrey have both COVID and red shirt years. Potentially all 4 of them could leave at the end of 2024-25, which would also be Azzi, Caroline and Amari's senior year. I don't think we've ever lost 7 players at once (and I doubt it will happen), but it would be hard to get new recruits to commit if all those able decided to take advantage of full eligibility.

On the other hand, if we stay healthy we'd be a pretty amazing team for the next 2 years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sounds like Geno has at least a couple of pocket commits. :)

I mentioned this earlier, but I'm pretty certain he is only talking about one unknown player in 2024. Vanoni included an extra "and" into his quote from yesterday that was never spoken.

Reaction Score
Toby Fournier '24 does a little bit of everything and has versatility and instincts in the open floor. A Swiss Army knife.

6’2 version of Stewie. I’m not saying she’s gonna be as good but their skillsets are comparable.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Stewie was a good shooter, both intermediate and long-range. I did not see a single jump shot from Toby in those highlights.
She’s got a baby hook. I saw jumpers here, from last month

Reaction Score
This was at the end of Fournier's Sophomore year last March. A nice little reverse two hander at the 2:42 mark and off the backboard at 5:00. She's getting stronger and better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom