April recruiting thread | Page 19 | The Boneyard

April recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just saw on IG, that Toby Fournier is on her official visit at UCLA. I wonder when she is planning to make her way to UCONN? Maybe she can join them for their European Trip? :)

Reaction Score
Just saw on IG, that Toby Fournier is on her official visit at UCLA. I wonder when she is planning to make her way to UCONN? Maybe she can join them for their European Trip? :)
Scuttlebutt is ( purportedly by her dad) that UConn is not on her list of four schools

Reaction Score
That is Qadence’s younger sister, 2027’s “Qandace” (pronounced like Candace). I’d consider her a POI as well, Coach Valley is following her on Instagram. She’ll be a Freshman at Azzi’s alma-mater, St. John’s, this Fall.
So the old sister, Qadence.
The young sister, Qandace.

A silver Ford Expedition pulls up in front of the basketball courts at Walker Mill Regional Park in District Heights, Maryland. One by one, the seven Samuels siblings and their parents, Shanda and Qwanzi Samuels Sr., stumble out and make their way up a hill adjacent to the blacktop.

With the park in walking distance of their home, the kids, ages 23 to 10, come here nearly every day to train, play pickup games and just spend time together. They all share a love of basketball, passed down from both of their parents, who played in college, and then from one sibling to the next.

Among them is Qadence Samuels, who announced her commitment to UConn women’s basketball for the 2023 class the day prior. The 6-foot-2 wing is dressed in all black workout clothes with a gold necklace featuring a tiny basketball and hoop dangling over the Nike symbol on her T-shirt. Her hair is done in two big puffs — people tell her she reminds them of New York Liberty wing Didi Richards because of the hairstyle — and her right eyebrow is dyed blue. Her favorite color aligns perfectly with the Huskies’ “Bleed Blue” mantra.

This is one of her first interviews and she’s a bit nervous. But now that she’s committed for the 11-time national champions there’s a lot more attention coming her way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Somebody help me figure out the free ride limitations. I know it's 15, but how does it factor in red-shirts or players taking their extra Covid year. For example Raul's excellent site shows us at 13 for the 24/25 season. He includes Paige as playing that year, I believe using her red-shirt year.

That suggests we could only add two more recruits from the 2024 class if there was no other movement, and that if we added someone in the portal that had eligibility past this year, that would be reduced to one. My interest was mostly on a one and done big that wouldn't make a 24/25 difference, but it looks like if we had obtained Betts we would have been down to only one more 24 class recruit if I understand it right

But because of Covid, we have three players who could play a fifth or extra year, including Nika, Aubrey and Aaliyah. So if we added two more 2024 prospects and all three Covid eligible players returned, we would be at 18. So how does that work? I presume the Covid extra years don't count or it would be a nightmare.

So if we don't add a transfer that is eligible for 24/25 this year or next year, and nobody leaves, is two more 2024 recruits our max?

Reaction Score
Somebody help me figure out the free ride limitations. I know it's 15, but how does it factor in red-shirts or players taking their extra Covid year. For example Raul's excellent site shows us at 13 for the 24/25 season. He includes Paige as playing that year, I believe using her red-shirt year.

That suggests we could only add two more recruits from the 2024 class if there was no other movement, and that if we added someone in the portal that had eligibility past this year, that would be reduced to one. My interest was mostly on a one and done big that wouldn't make a 24/25 difference, but it looks like if we had obtained Betts we would have been down to only one more 24 class recruit if I understand it right

But because of Covid, we have three players who could play a fifth or extra year, including Nika, Aubrey and Aaliyah. So if we added two more 2024 prospects and all three Covid eligible players returned, we would be at 18. So how does that work? I presume the Covid extra years don't count or it would be a nightmare.

So if we don't add a transfer that is eligible for 24/25 this year or next year, and nobody leaves, is two more 2024 recruits our max?
See this post by @BRS24.

Reaction Score
Thank you for the reference and BRS24 for the chart. I was aware of that, but for example 24/25 shows 16 right now, without adding any additional 2024 recruits, or a portal transfer. Is that a problem that needs to be resolved before that season? I realize that a lot can happen in and out by then, and realistically not everyone of our four players that could take an extra year will do so. I just want to be able to figure out how many openings we have? What are the rules? Is the 15 a hard cap, or do extra Covid years, or due to a red-shirt not count against it?

I'm sure somebody on the Boneyard knows the answers, and it probably has come up before, but I don't know exactly where to find it.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Thank you for the reference and BRS24 for the chart. I was aware of that, but for example 24/25 shows 16 right now, without adding any additional 2024 recruits, or a portal transfer. Is that a problem that needs to be resolved before that season? I realize that a lot can happen in and out by then, and realistically not everyone of our four players that could take an extra year will do so. I just want to be able to figure out how many openings we have? What are the rules? Is the 15 a hard cap, or do extra Covid years, or due to a red-shirt not count against it?

I'm sure somebody on the Boneyard knows the answers, and it probably has come up before, but I don't know exactly where to find it.
At this point 15 is a hard number scholarship-wise.

The 2020-2021 season was the one that did not count against eligibility, the free year. If memory serves me correctly, the scholarship limit for a given program was increased for the 2021-2022 season to take into account those players who played for that program in 2020-2021 as seniors and returned to play for extra year, 2021-2022, that the Covid rule gave them. Those players - seniors - returning to that team and playing the extra year did not count against the 15 limit for the 2021-2022 season.

That scholarship limit increase was a one-time thing though, and it did not apply in 2022-2023 or for later seasons.

This is all probably spelled out in NCAA guidance and in articles describing the same that can be accessed though an internet search.

One of the criticisms of the Covid rule was that it was going to create the messy situation and uncertainties about scholarships due to players who might or might not return for the fifth season. Headache time for coaches. I remember Geno grousing about it. Oddly enough, the liberalization of the transfer rules has helped to ease that situation.

Technically, scholarships are only good for one season and do not have to be automatically renewed. Having said that, coaches are generally loathe to go down that road. And as a practical matter, a team is likely to have transfers out when the roster size gets to be around 15, the situation tends to correct itself.

Ultimately the coaches are left to muddle through and do the best they can.

One thought I had - given the amount of money some of these players are earning through NIL, if a player wanted to return for a fifth season for a team that has a roster issue, she could presumably waive the scholarship and pay her own way. I don`t know if that has actually happened yet, though, and I would not hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom