And so it begins at Michigan... Is Warde getting some looks? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

And so it begins at Michigan... Is Warde getting some looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think you just conceeded that no AD would have fired him but know that you knew the right thing and none of them would have. Yeah, that's likely.

If you fire a coach after two years at UConn who goes 5-7 and 5-7, the reason no sane person would have fired him is that even if they were as prescient as you, how do you think you're going to attract a good coach to Storrs if you are perceived to give your coaches that little of a chance.

How long into season 3 did it take for you to realize that bringing back P was a horrible mistake? 5 minutes? Are you saying Diaco wouldn't have taken the job one year earlier?

Reaction Score
Michigan president: Academics are driving AD search

University of Michigan President Mark Schlissel is concerned about the role of academics in the athletic programs, so he's carefully assessing candidates to replace athletic director Dave Brandon, who resigned last month.

"That's why I'm taking a bit of time with the search for Dave's successor," Schlissel told the school's the Senate Advisory Committee on University Affairs on Monday, according to the Michigan Daily. "Some folks wanted me to hire an athletic director (earlier) so he could fire the current football coach and hire the next coach, but I want to take the time to make sure we get someone who is not only technically adept but can ensure that the program has financial and academic integrity — and also someone who shares the value system of realizing our mission.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...hlissel-academics-driving-ad-search/18850269/

Reaction Score
I am sorry Dooley/Warde but I am under the influence: Warde's UConn legacy will be tied to UConn's getting passed over in CR, more specifically the Louisville selection to the ACC over UConn. Whether or not this is incorrect, that will be his legacy here if he leaves at this time. If in the future he is still here when UConn gets to a P5 conference then that will be his legacy along with the things you mentioned. But right now, his resume could read like: Basketball success would have happened whether he was here or not, anyone could have figured out the APR situation, hockey makes no difference at all (Does Louisville play hockey?), and the football program has regressed even more under his watch. Cannot blame the previous AD for this season. If you watch college football, you will see true freshman doing amazing things...for other teams. Ours are still trying to figure out if their socks match. Losing to Tulane? Unbelievable.

Oh but I think we definitely can blame the former AD for this season. It was under Hathaway's watch when a lot of these young men were recruited and played for The Deadly duo. He was also was responsible for hiring them without due diligence.
They were all fat and happy collecting their checks and not doing their jobs.

-

Reaction Score
Oh but I think we definitely can blame the former AD for this season. It was under Hathaway's watch when a lot of these young men were recruited and played for The Deadly duo. He was also was responsible for hiring them without due diligence.
They were all fat and happy collecting their checks and not doing their jobs.

-
This years football season is history, no matter who is at fault. The question raised was what would be Warde's legacy at UConn? What can he actually put on his resume? Will he say that the previous regime sacked the place and I was unable to resurrect it so I want to leave? He did fix the APR issue with men's basketball, but he cannot claim success in any other issue, except maybe the new hockey conference and coach, but I am not informed enough to say. If he leaves, it would appear that he is abandoning ship. Believe me when I say this, I am not bashing him. If he leaves, fine. If he stays, fine. I would give him more time. Right now, his legacy will be what I previously posted.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I posted the record not because it's Manuel's fault.

I posted it because it would seem impossible for Michigan to hire someone from a school with that record during his reign.

Reaction Score
It's not that impossible considering WM played football at Michigan and has strong academic achievements while an AD both here and Buffalo.

I'm not saying he's the favorite, but I think it's foolish to think that it is never going to happen.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I posted the record not because it's Manuel's fault.

I posted it because it would seem impossible for Michigan to hire someone from a school with that record during his reign.

Oh, it's possible. He's a former Michigan player and that alone makes it possible. Former coach Lloyd Carr's players are pushing for him. I don't think he's the one, though. Right now, if I were to bet, I'd put my money on Brad Bates, not a sure bet, though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh, it's possible. He's a former Michigan player and that alone makes it possible. Former coach Lloyd Carr's players are pushing for him. I don't think he's the one, though. Right now, if I were to bet, I'd put my money on Brad Bates, not a sure bet, though.

I meant selling it to the fanbase. But you guys are so blinded by 'Michigan Men' I should never underestimate your ability to value the wrong things.

Reaction Score
Right now, if I were to bet, I'd put my money on Brad Bates, not a sure bet, though.
So, bcu would have its third AD in about 3 school years. For such a classy educational institutional, this might be appropriate.

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I meant selling it to the fanbase. But you guys are so blinded by 'Michigan Men' I should never underestimate your ability to value the wrong things.

If I hear that stupid statement again, it will be enough. It started about Bill Freider who, on the eve of the 1989 NCAA basketball tournament, left Michigan to go to another school (ASU I believe). He offered to coach the tournament, but then AD Bo Schembechler said "I don't want an Arizona State man coaching Michigan. I want a Michigan man coaching Michigan." Michigan went on to win the NCAA tourney that year.

When I heard that Joe Castignole (current Oklahoma AD) was mentioned for the job, I was pretty happy. I think it's a pipe dream, but would love that. As far as Manuel goes, I would cringe. He just doesn't have resume nor the experience to be the choice, in my opinion. Bates? He'd be OK, so would Long from Arkansas or Byrne out at Arizona. All of those have been mentioned for the job.

Reaction Score
If I hear that stupid statement again, it will be enough. It started about Bill Freider who, on the eve of the 1989 NCAA basketball tournament, left Michigan to go to another school (ASU I believe). He offered to coach the tournament, but then AD Bo Schembechler said "I don't want an Arizona State man coaching Michigan. I want a Michigan man coaching Michigan." Michigan went on to win the NCAA tourney that year.

When I heard that Joe Castignole (current Oklahoma AD) was mentioned for the job, I was pretty happy. I think it's a pipe dream, but would love that. As far as Manuel goes, I would cringe. He just doesn't have resume nor the experience to be the choice, in my opinion. Bates? He'd be OK, so would Long from Arkansas or Byrne out at Arizona. All of those have been mentioned for the job.
But is Bates a Michigan Man?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
But is Bates a Michigan Man?
When Brandon "resigned," word was that Michigan was not looking for a Michigan man, but the man right for Michigan. Pedigree is deemphasized this time around and they are smart to do it. After all, the biggest "Michigan Man" in the history of the program is a Buckeye.

Reaction Score
When Brandon "resigned," word was that Michigan was not looking for a Michigan man, but the man right for Michigan. Pedigree is deemphasized this time around and they are smart to do it. After all, the biggest "Michigan Man" in the history of the program is a Buckeye.
That was a great post, you are correct, and I 'liked' it. But I think you could have driven the point home a letter better if you did the Michigan Man thingy. Just a little constructive criticism on an otherwise fine effort.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That was a great post, you are correct, and I 'liked' it. But I think you could have driven the point home a letter better if you did the Michigan Man thingy. Just a little constructive criticism on an otherwise fine effort.
I'll try harder next time.;)

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Let's hope he takes Diaco with him. Warde is a rock star?

Reaction Score
money made is only real eval of a director of sports at a univ

if money is rolling in that means fanbase is happy, teams win and attendance is excellent and TV deals are commensurate

you cannot say any of above with current admin

who the heck cares about hockey when foosbal is in rapper

heck; any bone fossil dude could be AD wit hoop coaches in place and baseball, soccer, womens field hockey etc

attendance is dwindling in most sports, especially hoops! revenue dwindling

Mr Jim Calhoun as AD could get this foosbal thing on track fast because he is a great competitor and would not sit on hands to let decay go to completion

legacy of current AD: nil to negative quadrant

short-term course correction: move all hoops to A-10 pronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member