And so it begins at Michigan... Is Warde getting some looks? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

And so it begins at Michigan... Is Warde getting some looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
He's done. The university is trying to show cause in firing to void the contract. Dave Brandon's main supporter, Steven Ross, came out and publicly said that he will not stand in the way if the president wants to fire him. Other donors claim they will not donate another penny until this "issue is resolved."

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
When will people realize email is a permanent record that is a) subject to open records laws especially at public institutions b) subpoena-able if you have to go to court c) probably easily hacked by a 10 year old?

Part of me hopes never, so we can get some entertaining emails and also duplicitous public figures can be shown for what they really are. But Paulie from Goodfellas would never have used email... just sayin'.

(And then there's the guy who tweeted about drunk driving with the #YOLO hashtag right before he crashed and killed himself but that's a whole 'nother ballgame).

Reaction Score
When will people realize email is a permanent record that is a) subject to open records laws especially at public institutions b) subpoena-able if you have to go to court c) probably easily hacked by a 10 year old?

Part of me hopes never, so we can get some entertaining emails and also duplicitous public figures can be shown for what they really are. But Paulie from Goodfellas would never have used email... just sayin'.

(And then there's the guy who tweeted about drunk driving with the #YOLO hashtag right before he crashed and killed himself but that's a whole 'nother ballgame).

That really happened???

Reaction Score
@McMurphyESPN: Dave Brandon is resigning as Michigan’s AD, source told @espn. Press conference this afternoon.

slmandel 11:21am via Twitter for iPad
Michigan fans get their wish on Brandon but now might be stuck with Hoke. Is an interim AD going to conduct a football coaching search?

slmandel 11:23am via Twitter for iPad
An AD search usually takes months. And coach candidates will be nervous to take a job without knowing who their boss will be.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
@McMurphyESPN: Dave Brandon is resigning as Michigan’s AD, source told @espn. Press conference this afternoon.

slmandel 11:21am via Twitter for iPad
Michigan fans get their wish on Brandon but now might be stuck with Hoke. Is an interim AD going to conduct a football coaching search?

slmandel 11:23am via Twitter for iPad
An AD search usually takes months. And coach candidates will be nervous to take a job without knowing who their boss will be.

Reports from Michigan insiders is that there have been back channel conversations with at least five current AD's. They are:

Jeff Long - Current Arkansas AD. Was formerly an assistant AD at Michigan and AD at Pitt
Brad Bates - Current BC AD, Former walk on under Bo. Was AD at Miami of Ohio and, prior to that, in Michigan's AD
Warde Manuel - Current AD of UConn
Greg Byrne - Current AD of Arizona and was the AD that hired Dan Mullens at Miss St
Joe Castiglione - Current AD of Oklahoma (have a hard time believing this one but insiders say there has been talk back and forth)

Many feel that they weren't going to push for Brandon's resignation until a successor was identified.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
To be fair, some of that 9-21 shouldn't count against Warde. That was Hathaway's hire through and through and only Hathaway deserves -you blame for that. You can begin to criticize Warde after PP's second year for either 1) not canning the magnificent duo after 2012 or 2) not putting his foot down and canning GDL, but even then, it gets a little dicey.

Warde's UCONN legacy will be tied to Bob Diaco and, unfortunately, it's way too early to judge. APR is good. Both basketball programs are elite. Hockey is progressing rapidly and is about to out-draw the Florida Panthers on Wednesday night. Basketball center is finished. But, unfortunately for Warde, our football program has been a train wreck since he arrived at UCONN...mostly having to do with the previous AD.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
To be fair, some of that 9-21 shouldn't count against Warde. That was Hathaway's hire through and through and only Hathaway deserves -you blame for that. You can begin to criticize Warde after PP's second year for either 1) not canning the magnificent duo after 2012 or 2) not putting his foot down and canning GDL, but even then, it gets a little dicey.

Warde's UCONN legacy will be tied to Bob Diaco and, unfortunately, it's way too early to judge. APR is good. Both basketball programs are elite. Hockey is progressing rapidly and is about to out-draw the Florida Panthers on Wednesday night. Basketball center is finished. But, unfortunately for Warde, our football program has been a train wreck since he arrived at UCONN...mostly having to do with the previous AD.

I don't see that as a bad thing at all. I think Diaco will work out, but if Manuel's chances of being hired away rise based on the number of wins the Football team has right now he won't be hired away and UConn will retain him for at least one more year. That is good for UConn (Bad for Freescooter and Nelsonmuntz and the rest of the bashers).

My opinion about Manuel is the same as my opinion about Diaco. I will support him until its time not to. He has done nothing to suggest he should be let go.

Reaction Score

Did year three of PP become a manure fire? Heck yes. But if you want to be fair, there is not an AD in the country who would have fired a man with PP's history after only two years that each ended 5-7 at UConn. There just isn't. Frankly, we are lucky that Manual acted as quicklly as he did to step in during year 3 when it was clear that PP had lost the team. But you couldn't have felt that way at the end of the prior year given that we beat LV on the road in the penultimate game.

Reaction Score
Did year three of PP become a manure fire? Heck yes. But if you want to be fair, there is not an AD in the country who would have fired a man with PP's history after only two years that each ended 5-7 at UConn. There just isn't. Frankly, we are lucky that Manual acted as quicklly as he did to step in during year 3 when it was clear that PP had lost the team. But you couldn't have felt that way at the end of the prior year given that we beat LV on the road in the penultimate game.

Yea - the Louisville game end of the 2012 season - great upset. What happened a week later? Louisville got the nod to the ACC.

Reaction Score

I am sorry Dooley/Warde but I am under the influence: Warde's UConn legacy will be tied to UConn's getting passed over in CR, more specifically the Louisville selection to the ACC over UConn. Whether or not this is incorrect, that will be his legacy here if he leaves at this time. If in the future he is still here when UConn gets to a P5 conference then that will be his legacy along with the things you mentioned. But right now, his resume could read like: Basketball success would have happened whether he was here or not, anyone could have figured out the APR situation, hockey makes no difference at all (Does Louisville play hockey?), and the football program has regressed even more under his watch. Cannot blame the previous AD for this season. If you watch college football, you will see true freshman doing amazing things...for other teams. Ours are still trying to figure out if their socks match. Losing to Tulane? Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Warde flat out said "I'm not going anywhere" during the jazz ceremony to the guy standing next to me who yelled "don't leave us"

Take it for what its worth.

Reaction Score
Warde flat out said "I'm not going anywhere" during the jazz ceremony to the guy standing next to me who yelled "don't leave us"

Take it for what its worth.

That and $1.75 will get you a cup of coffee.

Yeah, but what about this huh?;):rolleyes:

>>Last but certainly not least, I rode up on the elevator with AD Warde Manuel before the game and jokingly asked him if he has taken the Michigan job yet and tongue planted firmly in cheek said "last night" He made it abundantly clear that he likes the job he has at UConn.<<

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did year three of PP become a manure fire? Heck yes. But if you want to be fair, there is not an AD in the country who would have fired a man with PP's history after only two years that each ended 5-7 at UConn. There just isn't.

Maybe so, but a true "rock star" would have had the stones to do the right thing after that Cincy game. Just another guy plays it safe. We can replace just another guy.

Reaction Score
Maybe so, but a true "rock star" would have had the stones to do the right thing after that Cincy game. Just another guy plays it safe. We can replace just another guy.

I think you just conceeded that no AD would have fired him but know that you knew the right thing and none of them would have. Yeah, that's likely.

If you fire a coach after two years at UConn who goes 5-7 and 5-7, the reason no sane person would have fired him is that even if they were as prescient as you, how do you think you're going to attract a good coach to Storrs if you are perceived to give your coaches that little of a chance.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The question is would the good coaches like to see Manuel let a failing coach run the program into the ground, or be able to take over before the program is run into the ground.

Reaction Score
My opinion is his best hope for the Michigan job would be if they feel need an African-american for the position. Otherwise, there are probably more experienced and qualified candidates. Warde would be a risky hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom