And so it begins at Michigan... Is Warde getting some looks? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

And so it begins at Michigan... Is Warde getting some looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That could have been the case at the time because Paul Pendergast was the acting AD.

I don't know where to find the emails but I remember reading one where she very clearly said "CR was being handled at the President level" so she was making it very clear that everyone else needed to defer to her

Reaction Score
I do not believe it. In fact I am fairly sure that there are still hard feelings between Calhoun/Ollie and Manuel over the way Ollie's "interim coach" position was handled. Ollie's contract basically gives him a veto over the next AD, which is a reasonable demand for a star coach. But Warde, rather than go to Herbst and the Trustee's and ask for Ollie to have a veto over the next AD, wrote himself into the contract. The end result is the same. Warde is a doofus and Ollie gets a big say in who replaces Warde if it ever happens.

You're 'fairly sure'? You have no clue or are again trying to incite reasonable folks (there are some here) with your own opinions. Just because we loved Ollie as a player and JC as a coach, given one that openly and understandably pimps his own former players, doesn't mean rookie coach Ollie should have been given the big contract out of the gate. It's easy to play MMQB, eh? Anyone who feels dissed has hard feelings at the time. Adults get over it and ultimately feel rewarded or embarrassed. Warde has done nothing to deserve bashing, just questioning, as anyone with public power should. I guess Ollie worked out ok. I guess football scheduling has worked out ok considering AAC. Rookie Warde had no chance getting us out. Now, he does. Keep it going, Warde and Susan!

Reaction Score
I do not believe it. In fact I am fairly sure that there are still hard feelings between Calhoun/Ollie and Manuel over the way Ollie's "interim coach" position was handled. Ollie's contract basically gives him a veto over the next AD, which is a reasonable demand for a star coach. But Warde, rather than go to Herbst and the Trustee's and ask for Ollie to have a veto over the next AD, wrote himself into the contract. The end result is the same. Warde is a doofus and Ollie gets a big say in who replaces Warde if it ever happens.
You're making up again.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That could have been the case at the time because Paul Pendergast was the acting AD.

And CR wasn't on that guy's radar screen at all. He was clueless. He mostly cared about the Pledge of Allegience.

Reaction Score
I am writing to recommend Warde Manuel for the position of Athletic Director at the University of Michigan,. I have known Warde for more than 2 years in his position at UConn and I am pleased to offer my recommendation. You can expect Warde to bring many new and innovative approaches to his position at Michigan. For example, he is an expert at redesigning logos. It was his major accomplishment at Buffalo and Again at UConn. I can't wait to see what he uses to replace your traditional "wings." Rest assured that tradition will be no impediment to Warde in selling the university's soul to Nike or another bidder. And I for one, believe maise and blue would look much better if trimmed in red, or perhaps burnt umber.

You at Michigan will also be pleased with his performance in conference realignment. I have no doubt that if you give Warde the job of managing that aspect of Michigan's athletic future he will have you playing an exciting Sun Belt schedule within 5 years. If there is a tough decison to be made, or a tough job to sell, you can rest assured that Warde will be sitting comfortably under an umbrella, sipping a drink with an umbrella, while Michigan's fortunes get sold down the river.

In conclusion, please hire him. We'll pay his salary for the first year...ok the first 3 years...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're 'fairly sure'? You have no clue or are again trying to incite reasonable folks (there are some here) with your own opinions. Just because we loved Ollie as a player and JC as a coach, given one that openly and understandably pimps his own former players, doesn't mean rookie coach Ollie should have been given the big contract out of the gate. It's easy to play MMQB, eh? Anyone who feels dissed has hard feelings at the time. Adults get over it and ultimately feel rewarded or embarrassed. Warde has done nothing to deserve bashing, just questioning, as anyone with public power should. I guess Ollie worked out ok. I guess football scheduling has worked out ok considering AAC. Rookie Warde had no chance getting us out. Now, he does. Keep it going, Warde and Susan!

Warde had a lot of choices between "big contract" and doing what he did, and Warde chose to publicly embarrass Ollie for several months. Pretty much anyone remotely close to the program knows the old-timers were not happy with how Ollie was treated. But if you don't believe me, just look at the public pleadings of former players and even Calhoun to give Ollie a deal. The thing I don't know, but suspect, is the main reason Manuel reversed course was that another offer came in. Manuel looked childish throughout the whole episode and he needlessly picked a fight with the legend that built the athletic program. In 20+ years of business I have never seen a senior executive getting treated like Ollie was treated, perform exceptionally well, and agree to work for the same boss. Ollie deserves sainthood.

Everything Warde touches gets screwed up. Does anyone on this board trust Warde to replace Geno or Ollie should either leave in the next few years? Warde is also a guy, that despite his huge rolodex from his days at Michigan, didn't get any calls to pull him out of Buffalo for SEVEN YEARS. The only people who really think Warde is a "rock star" are posters like you. But maybe you are right, and none of it is his fault. Maybe he is just a really unlucky AD. I would rather find someone that is luckier.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I have no gripe with Warde Manuel. In the case of Kevin Ollie, I am all for due diligence. You are responsible for replacing a legend at a blue chip program. Do what you have to do. Everyone came out a winner. Regarding CR, there is absolutely nothing anyone could have done to help our cause. We were trapped in the perfect storm of greed, money grabs, and back stabbing, and we just didn't add up at this point in time. We may not add up for another 10 years. Now if you want to blame PP and Hathaway, go right ahead.

Reaction Score
I have no gripe with Warde Manuel. In the case of Kevin Ollie, I am all for due diligence. You are responsible for replacing a legend at a blue chip program. Do what you have to do. Everyone came out a winner. Regarding CR, there is absolutely nothing anyone could have done to help our cause. We were trapped in the perfect storm of greed, money grabs, and back stabbing, and we just didn't add up at this point in time. We may not add up for another 10 years. Now if you want to blame PP and Hathaway, go right ahead.
I agree with part of this, but I don't agree that UConn didn't add up. UConn provides much more than some of our brethren that were picked. It was politics, not metrics, that got UConn left behind.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
"I'm fairly sure, " that Ollie was not under duress in signing any of the three separate contracts to which he put pen to paper, including the latest one that is paying him $3 mil annually, plus a country club membership, company car, full benefits, two turtle doves, a partridge, and a pear tree.

I also cannot get behind the notion that a head basketball coach does not equates to a senior executive. Neither Joe Girardi, nor John Farrell, as field managers, are considered to be front office personnel. They maybe the face of the franchise, but it's different in sports. This is like saying Flo oversees the day to day operations of Progressive Insurance.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Oops. The "does not" in the phrase "does not equate to a senior executive," shouldn't be there. My bad...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course Warde hasn't talked to Michigan.

A: They still have an AD and B: It would be a third party reaching out to Warde's people.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Just as an update - I looks like Michigan AD Dave Brandon won't last till the end of the year. There is even talk he won't make it through next week. It is clear Michigan is looking for a new AD.

That being said, I don't think Warde Manual will be hired as the UM AD. The two names that keep coming out are current BC AD And former Wolverine football walk on Brad Bates and current Arkansas AD and former Michigan associate AD (and former Pitt AD) Jeff Long with Long being the favorite.

Great news for you all, unless you think he stinks, than it's not so great.

Reaction Score
Just as an update - I looks like Michigan AD Dave Brandon won't last till the end of the year. There is even talk he won't make it through next week. It is clear Michigan is looking for a new AD.

That being said, I don't think Warde Manual will be hired as the UM AD. The two names that keep coming out are current BC AD And former Wolverine football walk on Brad Bates and current Arkansas AD and former Michigan associate AD (and former Pitt AD) Jeff Long with Long being the favorite.

Great news for you all, unless you think he stinks, than it's not so great.
It's good news for us for now...but if Bates or Long don't get the next football hire right...Cavanaugh gets the hockey team competitive in HE Diaco gets the football team on the right track Warde could come back into the conversation. The one thing all 3 of them have is all of them held the top Asst AD spot in Ann Arbor.

Reaction Score
U-M regents to discuss Dave Brandon

University of Michigan regent Denise Ilitch told a local television station Wednesday that the board will discuss athletic director Dave Brandon at Thursday's previously scheduled meeting.
The Board of Regents could influence any decision on Brandon, but it does not have the authority to fire him. That decision would have to come from new Michigan president Mark S. Schlissel, who took office July 1.

Sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy that someone on Michigan's behalf has contacted three possible candidates to replace Brandon to gauge their interest in the job.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...oard-discuss-ad-dave-brandon-thursday-meeting

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
U-M regents to discuss Dave Brandon

University of Michigan regent Denise Ilitch told a local television station Wednesday that the board will discuss athletic director Dave Brandon at Thursday's previously scheduled meeting.
The Board of Regents could influence any decision on Brandon, but it does not have the authority to fire him. That decision would have to come from new Michigan president Mark S. Schlissel, who took office July 1.

Sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy that someone on Michigan's behalf has contacted three possible candidates to replace Brandon to gauge their interest in the job.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...oard-discuss-ad-dave-brandon-thursday-meeting

Please be Warde. Please be Warde. Please be Warde.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If Warde is getting a look from Michigan, I'm guessing this is the look:

jackie-chan-wtf-face-i16.jpg

Dude WTF happend to UConn football?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn is 9-21 since Manuel took over. That should end any speculation... but here we are.

Reaction Score
If the Regents can't fire Brandon, then as the article says, "concussion-gate" will likely be the primary Brandon-related topic.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If the Regents can't fire Brandon, then as the article says, "concussion-gate" will likely be the primary Brandon-related topic.

If "concussion-gate" is a real issue for Brandon, that 2012 Cincy game would DQ Warde.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom