And so it begins at Michigan... Is Warde getting some looks? | The Boneyard

And so it begins at Michigan... Is Warde getting some looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This was reported a few places a week or two ago.

Perhaps the most disastrous thing for us here would be that if Warde or Susan left their positions, Kevin Ollie's contract says he can terminate his deal one year subsequent to one of those two leaving with zero buyout.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I won't worry about it until he accepts the position. It definitely is a possibility though.

Reaction Score

Perhaps the most disastrous thing for us here would be that if Warde or Susan left their positions, Kevin Ollie's contract says he can terminate his deal one year subsequent to one of those two leaving with zero buyout.

I doubt that he will be offered the Michigan job. Has UConn improved since his hire athletically? Has the football program improved? Has any conference been banging down the door to get UConn? The KO hire was initiated by Calhoun and the contract offered by WM was based on a successful season, and he was lucky that KO accepted it. I suspect KO accepted it out of loyalty to Calhoun and UConn, not necessarily because of the AD. If the contract he got KO to sign is the only positive thing on his resume (and it appears to be to me at this point), I think he will need to beef it up more before the big time comes calling.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
I like Warde but has he done enough here yet? Calhoun pushed Ollie in almost over Warde's objection. Diaco is not a successful hire yet. I don't get why U of M would be kicking the tires. Doesn't he at least have to turn UCONN FB around first?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hiring Addazio > Hiring Diaco.

Bates gets the job if he wants it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Where do I send Michigan a letter of recommendation for Warde?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
FYI, my proverbial "well placed sources" tell me the reports of UM starting a search for a new AD (Bates, Manual, etc.) are NOT true. FWIW.
5:41pm - 29 Sep 14

This is from John U. Bacon. He has well placed stories and wrote The RR/Michigan book Three and Out. I would put his sources up against any coaching search website. He's not a stooge either. Michigan AD Dave Brandon hates him for how he was portrayed in the book.

He also stated on record that Bo Schembechler wanted Bates as the next AD before he passed in '06.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Where do I send Michigan a letter of recommendation for Warde?

Are you collecting letter of recommendations for a new basketball coach too?

If either Athletic Director Warde Manual or President Susan Herbst leave UConn, after one year Ollie can leave without paying a buyout. So if the way the university or the athletic department is run changes and KO isn’t feeling it, he can get out. This tracks with statements he’s made about making sure his players are taken care of and treated in a way he agrees with.

http://thewilkinson.adimeback.com/a-dime-back-goes-full-lawyer-on-the-new-ollie-contract/

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Are you collecting letter of recommendations for a new basketball coach too?

If either Athletic Director Warde Manual or President Susan Herbst leave UConn, after one year Ollie can leave without paying a buyout. So if the way the university or the athletic department is run changes and KO isn’t feeling it, he can get out. This tracks with statements he’s made about making sure his players are taken care of and treated in a way he agrees with.

http://thewilkinson.adimeback.com/a-dime-back-goes-full-lawyer-on-the-new-ollie-contract/

Warde should have been fired the day he wrote himself into Ollie' contract.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Warde should have been fired the day he wrote himself into Ollie' contract.

Why? So that Ollie can leave 1 year + 1 day after HE signed HIS contract?? You do realize that Ollie didn't have to sign it. Believe it or not, Ollie likes Manuel and the working relationship that they have.

Honestly, the Warde bashing has grown to insane and stupid levels on this board. If Ollie harbored any ill will for "how poorly" he was treated, do you think he would sign something that binds him to Manuel and/or Herbst (at a time that he held TREMENDOUS leverage over UCONN)? Of course not. There were (and will continue to be) plenty of suitors out there for him that could and would have paid him MUCH more than $3M/yr.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why? So that Ollie can leave 1 year + 1 day after HE signed HIS contract?? You do realize that Ollie didn't have to sign it. Believe it or not, Ollie likes Manuel and the working relationship that they have.

Honestly, the Warde bashing has grown to insane and stupid levels on this board. If Ollie harbored any ill will for "how poorly" he was treated, do you think he would sign something that binds him to Manuel and/or Herbst (at a time that he held TREMENDOUS leverage over UCONN)? Of course not. There were (and will continue to be) plenty of suitors out there for him that could and would have paid him MUCH more than $3M/yr.

I do not believe it. In fact I am fairly sure that there are still hard feelings between Calhoun/Ollie and Manuel over the way Ollie's "interim coach" position was handled. Ollie's contract basically gives him a veto over the next AD, which is a reasonable demand for a star coach. But Warde, rather than go to Herbst and the Trustee's and ask for Ollie to have a veto over the next AD, wrote himself into the contract. The end result is the same. Warde is a doofus and Ollie gets a big say in who replaces Warde if it ever happens.

Reaction Score

I agree Warde bashing is "over done" on this board. However, if he left I don't think it would an earth-shattering event. I guess that is the litmus test for me. If Warde goes, my only real concern would be perception - I wouldn't think that he was irreplaceable. Quite simply, while he has done some very good things, I don't think he is a wunderkind.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I agree Warde bashing is "over done" on this board. However, if he left I don't think it would an earth-shattering event. I guess that is the litmus test for me. If Warde goes, my only real concern would be perception - I wouldn't think that he was irreplaceable. Quite simply, while he has done some very good things, I don't think he is a wunderkind.

It would hurt UCONN's CR chances unless UCONN can replace him with a very well connected AD (Pernetti, Jurich, etc) that could use their networking connections to help UCONN's cause. But having to replace an AD now essentially restarts the clock on all networking and communications that have taken place between UCONN and other ADs in the B1G/ACC and that is not a good thing. Is Warde replaceable? Yes. Any AD can be replaced. But it wouldn't be who we are replacing that would hurt UCONN as much as when we would have to do it.

Reaction Score
It would hurt UCONN's CR chances unless UCONN can replace him with a very well connected AD (Pernetti, Jurich, etc) that could use their networking connections to help UCONN's cause. But having to replace an AD now essentially restarts the clock on all networking and communications that have taken place between UCONN and other ADs in the B1G/ACC and that is not a good thing. Is Warde replaceable? Yes. Any AD can be replaced. But it wouldn't be who we are replacing that would hurt UCONN as much as when we would have to do it.

The more I see of CR, the more it seems to be controlled above the AD position. It certainly helps to be out there working the AD community, but we need senior administrators working other schools. The Presidents vote on CR - not the AD's. At some point, discussions at that level have to occur. In addition, what is our BOT doing? Other schools have had very active BOT's working the CR angle. Do we?

Dooley

Reaction Score
The more I see of CR, the more it seems to be controlled above the AD position. It certainly helps to be out there working the AD community, but we need senior administrators working other schools. The Presidents vote on CR - not the AD's. At some point, discussions at that level have to occur. In addition, what is our BOT doing? Other schools have had very active BOT's working the CR angle. Do we?

I agree with this. I think it's an entire "team" effort, if you will. Presidents, BOTs, ADs, etc. Losing President Herbst would be MUCH more devastating to UCONN than losing Warde (and I like Warde and think he's done a decent job with what he had to inherit from Hathaway). But yeah, school Presidents are the ones who will ultimately give a thumbs up or down and President Herbst has been playing an incredibly strong catch-up game to advance UCONN research and fundraising.

Reaction Score
The more I see of CR, the more it seems to be controlled above the AD position. It certainly helps to be out there working the AD community, but we need senior administrators working other schools. The Presidents vote on CR - not the AD's. At some point, discussions at that level have to occur.

That apparently wasn't the case with Rutgers. I happened to come across this review of the biography of the former President of Rutgers, Richard McCormick. Near the bottom of the article he talks about athletics and says:

"The other bit of note was that Pernetti and Jim Delany started negotiations for Rutgers to join the Big Ten in 2010, which was already widely known in the Rutgers community".

http://www.onthebanks.com/2014/9/21/6804727/i-read-dick-mccormicks-memoir-so-you-dont-have-to

In October, 2011, Pernetti said:

"The landscape in collegiate athletics continues to be a very fluid situation and we continue to be involved in discussions," said Rutgers AD Tim Pernetti. "We remain extremely confident that the result, once the movement concludes, will be very positive for Rutgers University."

"Given the conversations that we continue to be engaged in, the assets that we have -- I know I heard you a little bit yesterday and today, there's that debatable conversation about the New York market — these are institutional fits," Pernetti said, "and I think being a longstanding and leading public research school with AAU status and running a clean athletic program at a time when there's a lot of nonsense going on that's high on integrity, we have a lot of assets beyond what people are discussing."

Pernetti knew exactly what he was talking about.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Their issues are losing football games and sliding attendance.

Can you even imagine the reaction from their base? They would riot.

Reaction Score
Haven't you heard? UConn is continuing monitoring the situation. They president's may be the one's voting, but the AD's are doing the positioning. Louisville's president wasn't responsible for their advancement, their AD (Jurich) was. The most likely conference that will eventually invite UConn is still the ACC, and that will likely require the B1G to poach from that league. (Not likely with GOR in place for many many years more.) Any hope for a B1G invite appears to be decades away with AAU issues. The Louisville AD lobbied the ACC and got their eyes open. UConn sat silently from the time of the Fiesta Bowl to the current time. Now with the football program a steaming heap, and the conference realignment wheel at a standstill, and distribution of funds from the AAC being way below what other P5 conference schools get, the overall outlook does not seem positive. So whether Warde goes or stays, it now makes no difference. Furthermore, I don't see any real power players on the BOT of UConn either. We got a "rock star" at a time that we needed someone who wanted to be a "rock star".

Reaction Score
We got a "rock star" at a time that we needed someone who wanted to be a "rock star".

Did you mean to say:

We got a rock at a time that we needed someone who wanted to be a "rock star" ?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's the thing, nothing would keep Ollie here if he decided that he wanted to go to the pros. So the presence of this clause in the contract is really an irrelevancy. The issue is whether he is happy here in Connecticut. I believe he is so I'm not particularly worried about him leaving. Now if a new athletic director had a tortured relationship with him, that might be a cause for concern.

Reaction Score
That apparently wasn't the case with Rutgers. I happened to come across this review of the biography of the former President of Rutgers, Richard McCormick. Near the bottom of the article he talks about athletics and says:

"The other bit of note was that Pernetti and Jim Delany started negotiations for Rutgers to join the Big Ten in 2010, which was already widely known in the Rutgers community".

http://www.onthebanks.com/2014/9/21/6804727/i-read-dick-mccormicks-memoir-so-you-dont-have-to

In October, 2011, Pernetti said:

"The landscape in collegiate athletics continues to be a very fluid situation and we continue to be involved in discussions," said Rutgers AD Tim Pernetti. "We remain extremely confident that the result, once the movement concludes, will be very positive for Rutgers University."

"Given the conversations that we continue to be engaged in, the assets that we have -- I know I heard you a little bit yesterday and today, there's that debatable conversation about the New York market — these are institutional fits," Pernetti said, "and I think being a longstanding and leading public research school with AAU status and running a clean athletic program at a time when there's a lot of nonsense going on that's high on integrity, we have a lot of assets beyond what people are discussing."

Pernetti knew exactly what he was talking about.

Pernetti & Jurich were at the front of the process because their President allowed them to.

Susan made it very clear in the emails released thru the FOIA that she wants to be the point person on any CR issues. The question that should be asked is does she want to be the point person because she believes she is the best person to handle it or because she does not confidence in her AD to handle it?

Reaction Score
Pernetti & Jurich were at the front of the process because their President allowed them to.

Susan made it very clear in the emails released thru the FOIA that she wants to be the point person on any CR issues. The question that should be asked is does she want to be the point person because she believes she is the best person to handle it or because she does not confidence in her AD to handle it?

That could have been the case at the time because Paul Pendergast was the acting AD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom