All-American Predictions | Page 4 | The Boneyard

All-American Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You had me right up to that last word. Let’s assume you meant arguable and debate this.
My opening Argument: Ariel Powers of Michigan State is averaging 21.9 PPG and 12.1 Rebounds. She is in the top 10 in Points and top 5 for Rebounds for all of NCAA. In the history of NCAA (Men and Women) I cannot find a player who finished in top 10 in scoring and top 5 in rebounds that was not designated 1st Team AA. Powers is a Forward as is KML and Stewie. To put KML on first team ahead of Powers IMO is not justifiable.
Do you think Powers is going to have a better WNBA career than KML?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Finally received a diagnoses: Multiple Sclerosis. I start high level IV steroid therapy today and I hope that it alleviates the pressure in the optic nerves and brings me some relief. Not sure what treatment I can get for the associated fatigue, which has been massive and causing me to sleep 20 hours a day. BUT, if I sit close enough to the TV I can see the games, so that 's good news.

Good luck in the rest of your tourney run. I cannot imagine UCONN losing to anyone outside the WNBA.
Best wishes, ETT! I hope you enjoy the rest of the season. We'll be here for you.

Reaction Score
Finally received a diagnoses: Multiple Sclerosis. I start high level IV steroid therapy today and I hope that it alleviates the pressure in the optic nerves and brings me some relief. Not sure what treatment I can get for the associated fatigue, which has been massive and causing me to sleep 20 hours a day. BUT, if I sit close enough to the TV I can see the games, so that 's good news.

Good luck in the rest of your tourney run. I cannot imagine UCONN losing to anyone outside the WNBA.
O wow...positive energy coming your way ETT! Good luck with everything.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Logged on just to share some knowledge with you. In my research of brain health focused on Alzheimer's I come across some tidbits on MS. Turns out the "bad guys" that research and medicine has targeted for dementia, beta amyloid plaques, have been shown to help MS. This means that the plaques could be a defense mechanism by the body caused by dementia (or MS), not causing dementia.

I won't go into all the connecting research and logic that leads me to this suggestion, nor do I know if doctors already recommend this, but if you keep your body fat down, high dosages of Vitamin E could help. You would have to check with a doctor though, because high dosages of Vitamin E would be bad for many sedentary folks. Best wishes, ETT.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do you think Powers is going to have a better WNBA career than KML?
No. KML today has an elite skill (shooting) which could translate directly to WNBA. Keep in mind that Powers is a sophmore and could develop an elite skill over the next couple of years. I did not factor WNBA potential into to my rankings for the AA team predictions. I based it on performance this year only. I wouldn't know how to factor in WNBA potential, Nina Davis for example who everyone has as first or second teamAA- How would you judge Nina's WNBA potential? A 5'11" PF in WNBA? In the NCAA she is/will be an AA. She may not make an WNBA roster.

Reaction Score
No. KML today has an elite skill (shooting) which could translate directly to WNBA. Keep in mind that Powers is a sophmore and could develop an elite skill over the next couple of years. I did not factor WNBA potential into to my rankings for the AA team predictions. I based it on performance this year only. I wouldn't know how to factor in WNBA potential, Nina Davis for example who everyone has as first or second teamAA- How would you judge Nina's WNBA potential? A 5'11" PF in WNBA? In the NCAA she is/will be an AA. She may not make an WNBA roster.
I do factor in players' WNBA potential when I form opinions about who should be an AA and here's why. College players on different teams play against vastly diverse levels of competition, and most in contention for AA status rack up most of their statistics against players who aren't anywhere near as good as they are. What I think most people are looking for in an AA is the player who would do the best against the best college level competition, and for me at least, WNBA potential is the cleanest gut check for me on that ability. It's only one criteria that I consider, and Nina Davis is a good example. I think she's top ten, but a lot of that is because I saw her perform very we against the nation's top defense a year ago (this year, so far, her schedule leaves a little more to be desired against top notch competition). I haven't seen Powers play, which is why I asked for the gut-check about WNBA potential.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I do factor in players' WNBA potential when I form opinions about who should be an AA and here's why. College players on different teams play against vastly diverse levels of competition, and most in contention for AA status rack up most of their statistics against players who aren't anywhere near as good as they are. What I think most people are looking for in an AA is the player who would do the best against the best college level competition, and for me at least, WNBA potential is the cleanest gut check for me on that ability. It's only one criteria that I consider, and Nina Davis is a good example. I think she's top ten, but a lot of that is because I saw her perform very we against the nation's top defense a year ago (this year, so far, her schedule leaves a little more to be desired against top notch competition). I haven't seen Powers play, which is why I asked for the gut-check about WNBA potential.
It is more than fair to consider WNBA potential as part of AA player rankings. BTW The Big10 coaches would disagree with my selection of Powers as first Team AA as well. They voted Kelsey Mitchell the player of the year for the conference despite the numbers that Powers put up not to mention those of Amanda Zahui. If you like watching Nina Davis (as I do ) then you would love watching Powers. She playing out of position for MSU 6' PF but she does a little bit of everything very well.

Reaction Score
It is more than fair to consider WNBA potential as part of AA player rankings. BTW The Big10 coaches would disagree with my selection of Powers as first Team AA as well. They voted Kelsey Mitchell the player of the year for the conference despite the numbers that Powers put up not to mention those of Amanda Zahui. If you like watching Nina Davis (as I do ) then you would love watching Powers. She playing out of position for MSU 6' PF but she does a little bit of everything very well.

Difference of opinion which is fine how each values a/a. I wouldn't give any consideration to WNBA potential when valuing an a/a. To each his own.

Reaction Score
You had me right up to that last word. Let’s assume you meant arguable and debate this.
My opening Argument: Ariel Powers of Michigan State is averaging 21.9 PPG and 12.1 Rebounds. She is in the top 10 in Points and top 5 for Rebounds for all of NCAA. In the history of NCAA (Men and Women) I cannot find a player who finished in top 10 in scoring and top 5 in rebounds that was not designated 1st Team AA. Powers is a Forward as is KML and Stewie. To put KML on first team ahead of Powers IMO is not justifiable.

IMO I go with KML easily over MSU-Powers. Winning does count imo. Elite Winning players usually take better shots so their pg average not as high. Sure they get doubled less. So which do you want? High volume scorer that loses almost as much as she wins? Or much more efficient player that also impacts the game -- amazingly so by just her presence as that presence opens the floor. We know KML's style is a winning style. Which is why in this case I go with KML. Powers is shooting 39.7% from the floor. She does hoist a lot of 3's at 30%. DO we know this type of style as she hoists up so many shots at the aforementioned rates- is that a winning style in today's game? KML's is elite. KML's efficiency is off-the-charts imo it is probably historic for a combination shooter/scorer. I would love to see some stats regarding KML's EFG% and her TS% for this season. Then compare that historically for players scoring 15 ppg and higher. How many wings in the history of the sport do you think have that EFG% and TS% that were 15 and above scorers?

Secondly, fundamentals are important to some extent. Powers 39.7 percent form the floor while many were 3's I get that she is just above 30% -- how good is that in terms of shooting? How about her passing? Why should we count rebounds but not passing? Passing is a fundamental of the game. Powers has 107 assists to 154 turnovers. KML has 93 assists vs 47 turnovers. KML shoots super. Pass well on a team in which she doesn't have the luxury to hoist 18.45 shots per night. I go with KML over Powers.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Difference of opinion which is fine how each values a/a. I wouldn't give any consideration to WNBA potential when valuing an a/a. To each his own.

IMO WNBA potential should have zero bearing on AA voting. This is WCBB, not the WNBA. Davis is a TREMENDOUS college player who most likely will not have a WNBA career, much the same as Tim Tebow, Johnny Football and VinceYoung. Did those three not deserve to be AAs?

Reaction Score
ETT, sorry to hear of your health issues! Wishing you all the best! I agree with you here! This is WCBB AA team, it's "what have you done lately!" The season & the College career take precedent! I love both Powers & Davis games, but to me, Stewart, Jefferson, KML, and Tuck are the best at their positions, this season in WCBB, on the best team in WCBB so I would have those 4 + Jewell Loyd as my AA team! I realize the "talking suits" have not had an original thought since birth, so Davis & Powers have a real shot! I earlier named KML, Stewart, MoJeff, Powers and Loyd at who the suits will chose in the real world! I think Tuck will be named 2nd team and Stokes will be 3rd team or Honorable Mention!

Reaction Score
IMO WNBA potential should have zero bearing on AA voting. This is WCBB, not the WNBA. Davis is a TREMENDOUS college player who most likely will not have a WNBA career, much the same as Tim Tebow, Johnny Football and VinceYoung. Did those three not deserve to be AAs?

I'm not too sure about that. She is "Rodmanesque." For example I'm not so sure she can't play well with EDD/ Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom