Plum

3rd Team
Hamby (wake forest)
Mitchell (ohio state)
Tuck
Boyd
Logic

Reaction Score
I wouldn't have Tiffany Mitchell or Grey above KML or Mojeff.
Moriah might be playing the best basketball from all aspects of the game. As she can score more than she is averaging but don't need to. She is unselfish who makes other players around her better. She is a pest on Defense and rebound so well for a guard. KML is a senior and always show up around this time March and April. And is 12 3s away from NCAA record for 3s made. People say she just a 3 point shooter well Isee much more than that. She can post up pull up on the fast break rebounds and is a good passer. Not to mentioned she will get on the floor and dive for loose balls. 1st team AA hands down. Tiffany Mitchell is not better than Moriah. That's the media making it seem she is. NOT EVEN CLOSE

Tip in: Kelsey Mitchell should be considered 1st 2nd team as a Frosh the girl is something special to watch. Got her team to the Big10 final should be 5 or 6 seed in NCAA tournament. Second in the nation in scoring 25ppg. She reminds me of DT on the court. Look out for Ohio State

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I wouldn't have Tiffany Mitchell or Grey above KML or Mojeff.
Moriah might be playing the best basketball from all aspects of the game. As she can score more than she is averaging but don't need to. She is unselfish who makes other players around her better. She is a pest on Defense and rebound so well for a guard. KML is a senior and always sow up around this time March and April. And is 12 3s away from NCAA record for 3s made.

Tip in: Kelsey Mitchell should be considered 1st 2nd team as a Frosh the girl is something special to watch. Got her team to the Big10 final should be 5 or 6 seed in NCAA tournament. Second in the nation in scoring 25ppg. She reminds me of DT on the court. Look out for Ohio State

Mitchell is outstanding. Best freshman in the country this year. She reminds me of Sims last year as a strong guard who is a bit streaky but can score from anywhere. She has a good chance to break the NCAA scoring record if she stays healthy. Just needs a couple other solid recruits to hop on board for OSU to make a deep tournament run.

Reaction Score
Let me first state that this was my prediction of what the awards will be, not who should get them. UCONN still has more All-Americans than any other team, and putting 3 on the first two teams is what happened last year when UCONN went 40-0. UCONN has incredible balance among its starting 5. Stewart is the standout of the 5 so she's a lock for 1st team. KML has had a great season, but I don't know if 14.7 points, 4 reboudns and 3 assists is enough to warrant 1st Team Honors when she isn't a standout defensively. If it were my list, I'd put Jefferson on 1st team in the 5th spot, but sher lack of outstanding numbers will most likely land her on the 2nd or 3rd team. Tuck might nab a spot on 3rd team, but I don't see voters putting 4 UCONN Huskies on the top 3 teams.

And I agree about Wilson. I think she is HM at best, she has had a very good freshman season but has a long way to go and hasn't had an AA season in my opinion. That said, she has received more attention than Mitchell or any other freshman this season, so I think she'll get more votes than she probably deserves. She has good skills and great upside, but I agree, she isn't an AA in my list. Turner on the other hand, I think is deserving of being in 2nd team as a freshman.
If you don't think posting 54-51-92 shooting percentages is 1st Team worthy, then I really don't know what to tell you.

Reaction Score
Aleisha Welch of SC doesn't get near the hype of Tiffany Mitchell and Aja Wilson. SC would have many more losses without her. I hope she gets some post season recognition. She deserves it.

Reaction Score
I agree KML should be first team. UCONN would not have its stellar record without her.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You do bring up good points about her performances against top teams. I will say, though, that Tuck isn't being penalized for being on a great team, her stats would be penalized because UCONN plays in such a weak conference. There are definitely strong points that can be made for Tuck. I'd personally vote Wilson to a team over Tuck, but we have differing opinions there.
So let me get this straight, you're discounting a player because of your own bias toward her conference? That sounds like same old tired ridiculous logic that SEC fans have used for years when they want to p-imp their conference over all the others before they implode in the Tournament and shown to be a collection of largely mediocre teams. Couple of points:

1. Rate a player by her team's SOS instead of your own limited valuation of the team's conference. For years during the 200os the SEC fans would come on the BY and say the Big East is horrible and your team plays in a noncompetitive conference, and then the BEast would eventually get 9 teams in the Tourney and win 9 NCs in this millennium to the SEC's 2 while posting a much better winning percentage. But still, the BEast supposedly had that soft schedule. This year certain factually challenged fans of ND and UTenn teams have again decided to bring their RPI numbers over here to support their belief that UConn has had an easy schedule, even if the brainless RPI index has UConn as the #5 rated team. As noted many times previously, the more rational Massey rating has UConn with the #2 SOS, and USCar is at #6. So for a Vol fan to try to pretend that Tuck has played an easier schedule than Wilson is just a crock. The G-c-o-c-ks have had a decent season, but as fans from many teams have noted, they got to do it with a pretty soft and friendly schedule compared to an ND, UConn, or if you want pop in in an SEC team that actually played good teams OOC, then UTenn.

2. A player's stats point up both their strengths and their weaknesses. So comparing Tuck and Wilson head-to-head instead of with me throwing an asterisk next to Wilson's stats for playing a weaker schedule (which I know you would agree is an unworthy tactic), they should be compared at the same level with the understanding that the taller rangier Wilson excels at certain parts of the game while the shorter headier Tuck is better at other things. Obviously the scoring stats ppg (13.4 Tuck and 13.3 Wilson) is as close as you could get, though Wilson's ppm is better, while her shooting is well under Tuck's (52.4% to 58.8%), even though Tuck has lowered her average quite a bit by taking almost 2 3pt-FGAs per game at a low percentage.

When Wilson is in the game, she pulls down far more rebounds and gets a lot of blocks, which is an important stat because for every block there are going to be some altered shots also. Those are her strengths, which are nice, but you could argue that her teammate Alaina Coates has overall better stats except for the blocks and a little less scoring, and I don't see Coates mentioned for AA teams. And the stats also show Wilson's weaknesses, such as 64.9% FT shooting that will definitely make opponents want her to earn her points there with an "Axe an A'ja" strategy rather than giving her an easy layup. She also turns the ball over at a much higher rate than does Tuck along with fouling more, and she averages less than an assist a game, so you know she's not good at finding a teammate when the defense sags in on her. She does not shoot 3s, so teams don't care if she sets up outside at all.

Tuck is Tuck, without the glitz of Wilson but just really solid with better shooting ability and a key part of a UConn offense that often depends on her to open things up. Her 3-pt shooting is still a work in progress, but she's shooting 50% from the arc in the last 10 games, which can draw a post defender out and open up things for Stewie underneath. Tuck is highly proficient in the paint, rarely makes dumb fouls like Wilson does, and plays the role of point forward quite a bit, picking up a lot of assists while still holding the TOs down below Wilson's level. As a 74.2% FT shooter, opponents are far less inclined to foul her on shots underneath, and they don't (just 66 FTAs compared to Wilson's 174).

3. It's cheap to always be making excuses about why your team's player should be given allowances over UConn players. It's getting wearisome to have other teams' fans always trot out some reason why the stats of UConn players should be discounted. It goes from "they're part of the UConn star-maker machine and have baskets basically handed to them," to "our darling's team plays a tougher schedule" (they don't unless they're on the Irish this year, and even then it's a marginal factor), to "my player is the focus of everything on her team and has more pressure on her."

Give it up already! If Jewel Loyd is playing on such a support-challenged team (aren't they #2 in the country?), then that also give her far more chances to get her points and run the team the way she wants it to be run. No one forces these players to take all the shots they take in crunch time, and they could also put more effort into finding a teammate with a pass so that everyone feels involved and they don't think that the princess has to save them every time. Just time to stop the excuses about the stats.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Aleisha Welch of SC doesn't get near the hype of Tiffany Mitchell and Aja Wilson. SC would have many more losses without her. I hope she gets some post season recognition. She deserves it.
Was thinking also of Welch in the post above, but it seems to me that Coates probably has the better stats. But yeah, Wilson would have a lot of post player competition on her own team for AA consideration.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
welcome back

Thank you. I decided to just kick back and enjoy the Baylor season since it has been such a nice surprise. That and an introduction to a yet to be diagnosed autoimmune disease that has severely impacted my vision . I am proofreading with a magnifying glass held up to the screen.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Thank you. I decided to just kick back and enjoy the Baylor season since it has been such a nice surprise. That and an introduction to a yet to be diagnosed autoimmune disease that has severely impacted my vision . I am proofreading with a magnifying glass held up to the screen.

OH, SHOOT GUY, SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT. GREAT BIG POSITIVE THOUGHTS FOR YOU. BAYLOR, NOT SO MUCH!;)

Reaction Score
I'm not sure where you get the idea that no one is talking about Tuck as an AA candidate. I mentioned she might get a spot on 3rd team, and if she does land a spot, it will be well warranted., and I believe at worst she'll be HM which means she is getting consideration.

I don't think you can statistically compare Wilson to Tuck head to head in terms of evaluating one as an All-American candidate vs another. That said, you conveniently left out that Wilson averages close to 2 blocks per game, while Tuck is at about 0.3 per game.. I'd give more credit to Wilson's number because she plays in a significantly stronger conference. For Tuck at UCONN, every game is a blowout, UCONN is winning games by 50 ppg in conference play. South Carolina plays in one of the two strongest conferences in the country and Wilson is putting up those numbers against better competition night in and night out. Personally, I'd put both on HM, but if there's a spot for one on 3rd team, Wilson is more deserving than Tuck.

Your analysis highlighting conference competition is spot on and applies to all statistics both team and individual in my view. Any attempt at trying to be unbiased has to take into account the competition of the conference. On a previous thread, it was highlighted that not one player (maybe one) in the entire conference was rated as a top 50 for the past four years while all of UCONN's non walk-on players were.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm really sorry to hear that, ETT. Get it diagnosed and fixed. Baylor looks like a really good team for at least 2 more years.

Best wishes!

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think UCONN could lose any of its starters besides maybe Jefferson and they'd still be just a 1 loss team..

My thoughts exactly about last years team also. They won with Tuck injured; if Tuck was not injured, anyone of the other players could have been absent and they would have won the NCAA Tournament with exception of Jefferson.

Reaction Score
Good luck with your eyes - that's scary. Good to see you back here

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly about last years team also. They won with Tuck injured; if Tuck was not injured, anyone of the other players could have been absent and they would have won the NCAA Tournament with exception of Jefferson.
Really love the logic of the troll-o-dytes who visit here. If UConn loses a key player or two like they did in past years like 1999 or 2001 or 2008, it's because they didn't play a tough enough conference schedule or just weren't that good, but if they do win when a player goes down, she can't be very good and it's not because the team stepped up and managed to plug the hole well enough to still win the NC.

Hey hs, VolNation and the Summitt want their illogic back, so probably good to trundle it on back to them before they start cooking up some even weirder stuff about why UConn is not as good as PHS's teams, even if the last team the Vol fans want to face is UConn.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
1st Team: KML,, Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck, Nurse
2nd Team: who cares
3td Team: who cares less
Hey, welcome back.
OMG, I can't believe I'm saying this -- I missed you.
(Your strategy worked - well played.)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Wishing you the best outcomes in dealing with your health challenges. Hopefully they'll get you a diagnosis soon so you can come up with a plan to go all Odyssey Sims on it.

Reaction Score
Great to see you back. Your comments have always been insightful and respectful. Hope your vision improves soon.

Reaction Score
Your analysis highlighting conference competition is spot on and applies to all statistics both team and individual in my view. Any attempt at trying to be unbiased has to take into account the competition of the conference. On a previous thread, it was highlighted that not one player (maybe one) in the entire conference was rated as a top 50 for the past four years while all of UCONN's non walk-on players were.

Her analysis also penalizes UCONN for being so good. They tore apart the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams and Duke. But because they don't have enough teams tey palyed in the top 50-- the NCAA will probably penalize them for it. Tuck decisively outplayed Wilson. Tuck decisively outplayed Wilson. Tuck decisively outplayed Wilson. Tuck decisively outplayed Wilson. Tuck decisively outplayed Wilson.

Tuck was arguably was best or 2nd player in the Notre Dame game. SO she outplayed the other three probably UCONN ALL-AMERCIANS.
Tuck was arguably was best or 2nd player in the Notre Dame game. SO she outplayed the other three probably UCONN ALL-AMERCIANS.

Tuck was arguably was best in the Duke game which she outplayed FOUR ALL-Americans.
Tuck was arguably was best in the Duke game which she outplayed FOUR ALL-Americans.

I just wanted to make these points clear. They tend to get washed over. The competition whether it be number 2 team or number 350 team - she has beaten it down. If you don't put her as an all-american you are penalizing her for being on too good of a team. She has taken on allcomers since that 1st week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom