Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis-UCONN, Sr
Kelsey Plum-Washington, So

3rd Team:
Kelsey Mitchell-Ohio State, Fr
Courtney Williams-South Florida, Jr
Amanda Zahui B-Minnesota, So
Elizabeth Williams-Duke, Sr
Allisah Gray-North Carolina, So

Lots of youth on these teams, the last two freshman classes have been really strong, and next year should be even better with DeShields/Russell/Alexis Jones all back in the mix. This isn't the strongest yar for women's basketball, but there is a lot of good talent this season. Ruth Hamblin was the last person left off of a team, but I think the next few years will provide more competition for Connecticut.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Is the question who do you predict will be all-americans, or who deserves to be ?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Here is what it should be:

Breanna Stewart POY
KML
MoJeff
Tiffany Mitchell
Jewel Loyd

Elizabeth Williams
Nina Gray
Courtney Williams
Reshanda Gray
Morgan Tuck

Kiah Stokes
Kelsey Plum
Brianna Turner
Amanda Zahui
Kia Nurse

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Are players from teams from losing records allowed on the All-American teams? I dont think there are 15 players better than Dearica Hamby of Wake Forest and the Powers kid from Michigan State.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Here is what it should be:

Breanna Stewart POY
KML
MoJeff
Tiffany Mitchell
Jewel Loyd

Elizabeth Williams
Nina Gray
Courtney Williams
Reshanda Gray
Morgan Tuck

Kiah Stokes
Kelsey Plum
Brianna Turner
Amanda Zahui
Kia Nurse

Tony, you forgot Gabby Williams, Chong and Ekmark!

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Are players from teams from losing records allowed on the All-American teams? I dont think there are 15 players better than Dearica Hamby of Wake Forest and the Powers kid from Michigan State.

I think those two are two of the better players in the nation, but All American awards almost always go to players who are on winning teams. If it were a draft for college players though, both would be top 15 in my book.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think those two are two of the better players in the nation, but All American awards almost always go to players who are on winning teams. If it were a draft for college players though, both would be top 15 in my book.

Thats a darn shame .....

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Just from a quick look, I wouldn't have either Gray or Wilson that high. I think I'd have Sam Logic in the top 15.

Logic was on my short list for 3rd team but Mitchell and Zahui B nudged her. I also had a hard time with the 5th 1st team spot. Gray has good numbers and won Pac-12 POY so I think she could get it.

I'd personally give it to Jefferson, but I don't see voters putting her higher than 2nd. KML might get it, and she has had a very good season but not 1st team worthy IMO.

I'd put Wilson on 3rd but the media loves her and she has good numbers for USC who was ranked #1 for most of the season, so I think she will get 2nd team.

Reaction Score
Still more basketball to play, but here is my quick list:
1st Team:
Breanna Stewart-UCONN, Jr
Jewell Loyd-Notre Dame, Jr
Nina Davis-Baylor, So
Tiffany Mitchell-USC, Jr
Reshanda Gray-Cal, Sr

2nd Team:
Moriah Jefferson-UCONN, Jr
Brianna Turner-Notre Dame, Fr
Aja Wilson-South Carolina, Fr

3rd Team:

Lots of youth on these teams, the last two freshman classes have been really strong, and next year should be even better with DeShields/Russell/Alexis Jones all back in the mix. This isn't the strongest yar for women's basketball, but there is a lot of good talent this season. Ruth Hamblin was the last person left off of a team, but I think the next few years will provide more competition for Connecticut.
Haha, nope.

Reaction Score
Still more basketball to play, but here is my quick list:
1st Team:
Breanna Stewart-UCONN, Jr
Jewell Loyd-Notre Dame, Jr
Nina Davis-Baylor, So
Tiffany Mitchell-USC, Jr
Reshanda Gray-Cal, Sr

2nd Team:
Moriah Jefferson-UCONN, Jr
Brianna Turner-Notre Dame, Fr
Aja Wilson-South Carolina, Fr

3rd Team:

It would be criminal to put Wilson on any all-American teams this year. She doesn't even see 21 minutes a game though that alone isn't a disqualifier. And I'm not sure Mitchell belongs either. It's too bad that UCONN is being penalized for being so good. I understand it - but they are being/will probably become penalized.

I'd put Williams 2nd team.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It would be criminal to put Wilson on any all-American teams this year. She doesn't even see 21 minutes a game though that alone isn't a disqualifier. And I'm not sure Mitchell belongs either. It's too bad that UCONN is being penalized for being so good. I understand it - but they are being/will probably become penalized.

I'd put Williams 2nd team.

I listed three UCONN payers on the top 2 teams....I don't see how that's penalizing them. You could make an arugment for Tuck on 3rd team, but I don't see it happening, especially since UCONN isn't undefeated. I also don't believe Wilson has had an All-American season, but it's a weak crop of players this year. She has very good numbers for a top 3 team and has received a ton of publicity. I'll be surprised if she doesn't make at least 3rd team. A lot of the top 10 teams this year do not have stand out players. Tennessee, Oregon State, Louisville, Florida State, Maryland, Arizona State, etc. all have balanced teams and have put together strong seasons, but they don't have individual players who have All-American numbers. In fact, I don't think any of those squads have a player who averages more than 15 ppg.

Reaction Score
I listed three UCONN payers on the top 2 teams....I don't see how that's penalizing them. You could make an arugment for Tuck on 3rd team, but I don't see it happening, especially since UCONN isn't undefeated. I also don't believe Wilson has had an All-American season, but it's a weak crop of players this year. She has very good numbers for a top 3 team and has received a ton of publicity. I'll be surprised if she doesn't make at least 3rd team. A lot of the top 10 teams this year do not have stand out players. Tennessee, Oregon State, Louisville, Florida State, Maryland, Arizona State, etc. all have balanced teams and have put together strong seasons, but they don't have individual players who have All-American numbers. In fact, I don't think any of those squads have a player who averages more than 15 ppg.

With only 1 first team all-american. You said yourself that this team is so far above the competition. We blew out the number 2 and 3 ranked teams and yet we have the same number of 1stteam all-americans and just one more 2nd team all-american than the number 2 and 3 ranked teams? We blew them out. We blew them out. We blew them out. Other than 1 game we have blown everyone out. UCONN has a "big 4." One 1stteam a/a is kind of being penalized. IF anything then - Tuck should be 3rd team if you don't bump up one player to 1stteam. Again- UCONN isn't just regarded as being a littlie bit better this year- they are a lot better.

I agree that Wilson might get it - but it is criminal if she does. You say she has very good numbers - I don't think just above 13 points a game and 7 rebounds stands out - and yet if you look at her assists to turnovers it is downright awful. Not bad. But Awful. Awful. I know she is a post so her numbers aren't supposed to be that good passing (though for example a player like Tuck - she does have good passing) but it isn't just "bad." It's downright awful.

Thus put Williams on 2nd team in place of Wilson. Then then there must be one player in the top ten that has 13-14 ppg and is for example a very good passer that we can bump up while dropping Wilson. I'm not saying she won't get in- but 13/7 and god-awful passing isn't that great.

Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson's time will come, but it's not this year, in my view. Honorable Mention? Probably.

I wouldn't be surprised as bballnut says - that she gets in - but it would be very wrong to do so.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
With only 1 first team all-american. You said yourself that this team is so far above the competition. We blew out the number 2 and 3 ranked teams and yet we have the same number of 1stteam all-americans and just one more 2nd team all-american than the number 2 and 3 ranked teams? We blew them out. We blew them out. We blew them out. Other than 1 game we have blown everyone out. UCONN has a "big 4." One 1stteam a/a is kind of being penalized. IF anything then - Tuck should be 3rd team if you don't bump up one player to 1stteam. Again- UCONN isn't just regarded as being a littlie bit better this year- they are a lot better.

I agree that Wilson might get it - but it is criminal if she does. You say she has very good numbers - I don't think just above 13 points a game and 7 rebounds stands out - and yet if you look at her assists to turnovers it is downright awful. Not bad. But Awful. Awful. I know she is a post so her numbers aren't supposed to be that good passing (though for example a player like Tuck - she does have good passing) but it isn't just "bad." It's downright awful.

Thus put Williams on 2nd team in place of Wilson. Then then there must be one player in the top ten that has 13-14 ppg and is for example a very good passer that we can bump up while dropping Wilson. I'm not saying she won't get in- but 13/7 and god-awful passing isn't that great.

Let me first state that this was my prediction of what the awards will be, not who should get them. UCONN still has more All-Americans than any other team, and putting 3 on the first two teams is what happened last year when UCONN went 40-0. UCONN has incredible balance among its starting 5. Stewart is the standout of the 5 so she's a lock for 1st team. KML has had a great season, but I don't know if 14.7 points, 4 reboudns and 3 assists is enough to warrant 1st Team Honors when she isn't a standout defensively. If it were my list, I'd put Jefferson on 1st team in the 5th spot, but sher lack of outstanding numbers will most likely land her on the 2nd or 3rd team. Tuck might nab a spot on 3rd team, but I don't see voters putting 4 UCONN Huskies on the top 3 teams.

And I agree about Wilson. I think she is HM at best, she has had a very good freshman season but has a long way to go and hasn't had an AA season in my opinion. That said, she has received more attention than Mitchell or any other freshman this season, so I think she'll get more votes than she probably deserves. She has good skills and great upside, but I agree, she isn't an AA in my list. Turner on the other hand, I think is deserving of being in 2nd team as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Let me first state that this was my prediction of what the awards will be, not who should get them. UCONN still has more All-Americans than any other team, and putting 3 on the first two teams is what happened last year when UCONN went 40-0. UCONN has incredible balance among its starting 5. Stewart is the standout of the 5 so she's a lock for 1st team. KML has had a great season, but I don't know if 14.7 points, 4 reboudns and 3 assists is enough to warrant 1st Team Honors when she isn't a standout defensively. If it were my list, I'd put Jefferson on 1st team in the 5th spot, but sher lack of outstanding numbers will most likely land her on the 2nd or 3rd team. Tuck might nab a spot on 3rd team, but I don't see voters putting 4 UCONN Huskies on the top 3 teams.

And I agree about Wilson. I think she is HM at best, she has had a very good freshman season but has a long way to go and hasn't had an AA season in my opinion. That said, she has received more attention than Mitchell or any other freshman this season, so I think she'll get more votes than she probably deserves. She has good skills and great upside, but I agree, she isn't an AA in my list. Turner on the other hand, I think is deserving of being in 2nd team as a freshman.

Just a FYI- I knew that you were making predictions rather personal picks. It's why I said "they (UCONN) are/will probably become penalized."

We just differ on what I feel is a penalty vs what you think-- which is not a big deal.

And as far as last year's team vs this years in terms of all-americans - the only reason last year didn't ahve4 was that KML was hurt. And this year's team might be better than last year's -- not "greater" but possibly "better" and you don't have another stacked undefeated team such as ND last year -- as a part of this year's competition.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Here's the thing about Wilson. For all the hype, she's averaging approx 13.3 PPG, 6.9 RPG, 1 APG, and 1 steal per game. And, she comes off the bench and averages 21 minutes per game.

Just for kicks, compare that to a kid that literally NO one is talking about for AA awards - Morgan Tuck. 13.4 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 2.7 APG, and .9 steals/game. And, she's a starter averaging 24 minutes per game.

Given those statistics, which btw Morgan is at least even, if not slightly better - to talk about Wilson even on the 3rd team is crazy. I realize it's not all about the PPG - Diana won the NPOY when she only averaged about 14 PPG in one year, but no one could deny she was the best player in the nation. IMHO Wilson is being discussed on all these "lists" because of the hype, because if you go by the stats, she's no more close to deserving than Morgan Tuck. And I think it's pretty clear Tuck won't be on ANY AA lists this year.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Here's the thing about Wilson. For all the hype, she's averaging approx 13.3 PPG, 6.9 RPG, 1 APG, and 1 steal per game. And, she comes off the bench and averages 21 minutes per game.

Just for kicks, compare that to a kid that literally NO one is talking about for AA awards - Morgan Tuck. 13.4 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 2.7 APG, and .9 steals/game. And, she's a starter averaging 24 minutes per game.

Given those statistics, which btw Morgan is at least even, if not slightly better - to talk about Wilson even on the 3rd team is crazy. I realize it's not all about the PPG - Diana won the NPOY when she only averaged about 14 PPG in one year, but no one could deny she was the best player in the nation. IMHO Wilson is being discussed on all these "lists" because of the hype, because if you go by the stats, she's no more close to deserving than Morgan Tuck. And I think it's pretty clear Tuck won't be on ANY AA lists this year.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that no one is talking about Tuck as an AA candidate. I mentioned she might get a spot on 3rd team, and if she does land a spot, it will be well warranted., and I believe at worst she'll be HM which means she is getting consideration.

I don't think you can statistically compare Wilson to Tuck head to head in terms of evaluating one as an All-American candidate vs another. That said, you conveniently left out that Wilson averages close to 2 blocks per game, while Tuck is at about 0.3 per game.. I'd give more credit to Wilson's number because she plays in a significantly stronger conference. For Tuck at UCONN, every game is a blowout, UCONN is winning games by 50 ppg in conference play. South Carolina plays in one of the two strongest conferences in the country and Wilson is putting up those numbers against better competition night in and night out. Personally, I'd put both on HM, but if there's a spot for one on 3rd team, Wilson is more deserving than Tuck.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure where you get the idea that no one is talking about Tuck as an AA candidate. I mentioned she might get a spot on 3rd team, and if she does land a spot, it will be well warranted., and I believe at worst she'll be HM which means she is getting consideration.

I don't think you can statistically compare Wilson to Tuck head to head in terms of evaluating one as an All-American candidate vs another. That said, you conveniently left out that Wilson averages close to 2 blocks per game, while Tuck is at about 0.3 per game.. I'd give more credit to Wilson's number because she plays in a significantly stronger conference. For Tuck at UCONN, every game is a blowout, UCONN is winning games by 50 ppg in conference play. South Carolina plays in one of the two strongest conferences in the country and Wilson is putting up those numbers against better competition night in and night out. Personally, I'd put both on HM, but if there's a spot for one on 3rd team, Wilson is more deserving than Tuck.
Wilson is 6'5". Tuck is 6'1". She's listed as 6'2", but really she's shorter than that. And by the way Tuck averages close to 3 assists per game, much better than Wilson's numbers. My point is Wilson has been no better statistically than Tuck and is nowhere near deserving of a 2nd team AA. If she's named to that list, congrats to her, but it will be because of hype and not because of performance.

Reaction Score

This is what I'm talking about when I said UCONN is being penalized for being so good. And if you're going to disregard stats because stats are so outlandish for UConn then why bother with the other three players too? This is the reason why only one player might wind up in top 5. Being penalized. I'm not saying it won't happen - just saying what it could be.

Anyhow UCONN already embarrassed the top team in the SEC and Tuck clearly outplayed Wilson. Just as Tuck annihilated Notre Dame regardless of Turner being out - she whipped them. Just as Tuck was arguably was the best player on the floor vs Duke. I'd go with Tuck this year over Wilson.

And you are conveniently overrating blocked shots, and we can add in in turnovers that haven't been discussed. A steal is more value than a blocked shot. An assist is more a value than blocked shots. Committing less turnovers is more of a value than a blocked shot. A blocked shot is limited when it comes down to possessions. There are more important stats. In fact, Wilson has nearly three times the turnovers that Tuck has. Passing counts - it's a fundamental in basketball. I just think sometimes the media overrates size thus the player with size becomes overrated.

When UCONN plays Notre Dame or USC inevitably again this season, I expect Tuck to outplay both Wilson or Turner for this season, because Tuck is a better basketball player for this season. Though she doesn't have their hype.

Reaction Score
I'm not as aware of players across the nation as your fanbase is (has something to do with having to grade so many darn papers, but do I have to ask if Tonyc has a name glitch in his second team? If not, then. . . . Nina Davis please, based on numbers and POY in Big 12.

(I am hoping this is a foolishly unnecessary post)

bballnut90

Reaction Score
This is what I'm talking about when I said UCONN is being penalized for being so good. And if you're going to disregard stats because stats are so outlandish for UConn then why bother with the other three players too? This is the reason why only one player might wind up in top 5. Being penalized. I'm not saying it won't happen - just saying what it could be.

Anyhow UCONN already embarrassed the top team in the SEC and Tuck clearly outplayed Wilson. Just as Tuck annihilated Notre Dame regardless of Turner being out - she whipped them. Just as Tuck was arguably was the best player on the floor vs Duke. I'd go with Tuck this year over Wilson.

And you are conveniently overrating blocked shots, and we can add in in turnovers that haven't been discussed. A steal is more value than a blocked shot. An assist is more a value than blocked shots. Committing less turnovers is more of a value than a blocked shot. A blocked shot is limited when it comes down to possessions. There are more important stats. In fact, Wilson has nearly three times the turnovers that Tuck has. Passing counts - it's a fundamental in basketball. I just think sometimes the media overrates size thus the player with size becomes overrated.

When UCONN plays Notre Dame or USC inevitably again this season, I expect Tuck to outplay both Wilson or Turner for this season, because Tuck is a better basketball player for this season. Though she doesn't have their hype.

You do bring up good points about her performances against top teams. I will say, though, that Tuck isn't being penalized for being on a great team, her stats would be penalized because UCONN plays in such a weak conference. There are definitely strong points that can be made for Tuck. I'd personally vote Wilson to a team over Tuck, but we have differing opinions there.

Reaction Score
My AA lists:

Breanna Stewart POY
KML
MoJeff
Jewell Loyd
Powers MSU
---------------------
Tiffany Mitchell
Nia Davis
Morgan Tuck
Samantha logic