Alex Karaban hints coming back | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Alex Karaban hints coming back

Reaction Score
It also doesn’t help that he has the funny form on his jumper. Needs a rebuild for the NBA.

You might get roasted for this and I probably will too but I think he should tweak his shot. It’s a dangerous proposition when you are a great shooter but all his misses are left and I think he could become an elite guy with a tweak

Reaction Score
This is basically the process that Tristan went through last year, yes? I'm not an NBA guy, but I found myself watching Alex, and thinking quite often that he missed an opportunity on offense by not being decisive or aggressive, mainly about driving to the basket. Seemed unsure of his offensive identity at times. On defense, really thought he made huge improvements over last year and throughout this year. No issues work ethic, so if his offense improvement in a return year mirrors his defensive improvement in the last year, it's be time well spent. Gets the degree and great NIL payday as well.

Reaction Score
This is basically the process that Tristan went through last year, yes? I'm not an NBA guy, but I found myself watching Alex, and thinking quite often that he missed an opportunity on offense by not being decisive or aggressive, mainly about driving to the basket. Seemed unsure of his offensive identity at times. On defense, really thought he made huge improvements over last year and throughout this year. No issues work ethic, so if his offense improvement in a return year mirrors his defensive improvement in the last year, it's be time well spent. Gets the degree and great NIL payday as well.
I saw exactly the same thing. Within our offense he was reluctant to take over and do that. As point, Tristen did it all the time as did Cam being guards. But I don't see why Alex can't and... he goes to the line alot that way.

Reaction Score
Unless AK is getting into a draft position for a decent guaranteed contract and/or Celtics are excited about picking him when they're "on the clock" . I think Alex will decide to stay. Get your feedback from workouts and come back and improve your draft status through more off -season player development and SnC to improve on explosion and strength.

Difficult choice but a win/win situation for him no matter what he decides. IMO- His decision is less clear than Castle or Donovan's decision is/was.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would be foolish for him to leave. He'd be lucky to get a 2nd round bid, which means nothing in today's NBA. Another year as the man at UConn would validate his outside shot and get him drafted in the 1st round. Hope he gets good advice.

Reaction Score
It would be foolish for him to leave. He'd be lucky to get a 2nd round bid, which means nothing in today's NBA. Another year as the man at UConn would validate his outside shot and get him drafted in the 1st round. Hope he gets good advice.
Fully expect him to declare but retain eligibility. Go through workouts, get feedback from teams about what he needs to improve, and hopefully he comes back for another year to polish his game.
But if some team guarantees him they'll draft him late 1st round, can't blame him if he stays in the draft.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fully expect him to declare but retain eligibility. Go through workouts, get feedback from teams about what he needs to improve, and hopefully he comes back for another year to polish his game.
But if some team guarantees him they'll draft him late 1st round, can't blame him if he stays in the draft.
This is the only logical move. Get more information, then decide. People here just speculating without any knowledge. Also, we don’t know what he wants. He’s old for a college kid, but maybe he can graduate with another year.

Reaction Score
You might get roasted for this and I probably will too but I think he should tweak his shot. It’s a dangerous proposition when you are a great shooter but all his misses are left and I think he could become an elite guy with a tweak
Be careful, some dummy will laugh at this comment. Alex needs to tweak his shot for the pros. His release is being slowed by his odd release and his consistency is being effected as well. He needs to straighten it out and his game will be viewed as multitudes better.

Reaction Score
Be careful, some dummy will laugh at this comment. Alex needs to tweak his shot for the pros. His release is being slowed by his odd release and his consistency is being effected as well. He needs to straighten it out and his game will be viewed as multitudes better.
I don't disagree, but who would teach him a better technique? One of the current coaches? Is it allowed to get a shooting expert to help him? On campus are some great shooters too who happen to be women- how about Azzi or Paige?

Reaction Score
What about clingan game tell you he’s a 1st rd nba player let alone a top 5 pick …. Kid needs work or he’ll be destroyed in the league … u think 37 from edey was bad what do u think will happen if he went to the nba … he’s not ready at all he will enter the draft to go thru an evaluation process while maintaining his eligibility but the nba scouts & Hurley will tell him he needs at least 1 more yr to work on strengthening his body , some post moves & open up to him shooting 3s more
Yeah all those 7’5” slow prodding back to the basket bigs that basically EVERY NBA team has nowadays are going to eat him alive!!

Reaction Score
Unless AK is getting into a draft position for a decent guaranteed contract and/or Celtics are excited about picking him when they're "on the clock" . I think Alex will decide to stay. Get your feedback from workouts and come back and improve your draft status through more off -season player development and SnC to improve on explosion and strength.

Difficult choice but a win/win situation for him no matter what he decides. IMO- His decision is less clear than Castle or Donovan's decision is/was.
Also he can graduate in 3 years and I think that will make his parents happy. But I’m firmly with you that if the Celtics say they want him he might just go now knowing he won’t have too many other suitors because he’d want to be wearing green

Reaction Score
Dude went 50/40/90 at the end of the regular season & we want to rework AK’s shot?
The final 15 games he shot .424 from the floor and .316 from deep. He was bad.

I watched our 2023 highlights over the weekend and his shot looked different, moreso than I expected. He's got to do something, whether find his old form or keep tweaking.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
He‘s like having a coach on the court. Another year playing for the carpenter could make him a more valuable prospect. Also, If the NBA doesn’t work out, he will be a great college coach.

Reaction Score
Yes. Maybe not while at UConn, but for an NBA career, definitely.

The final 15 games he shot .424 from the floor and .316 from deep. He was bad.

I watched our 2023 highlights over the weekend and his shot looked different, moreso than I expected. He's got to do something, whether find his old form or keep tweaking.

It kinda seems like he is starting even further from the left than before. The overalI percentage is great and who’s to say if we played 10 more games he wouldn’t go on a tear. Some unnatural sight lines there too. I would respect @husky429s opinion because he has a ton of knowledge of shooting mechanics and it just may actually not outweigh the potential benefits.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Dude went 50/40/90 at the end of the regular season & we want to rework AK’s shot?
Years ago I went to an early season game and sat behind two older gentleman who swore up and down that Chad Wise (RIP) would be starting within a few weeks. I constantly have to remind myself that despite the wealth of useful insight that I get here, those two guys also exist and probably know how to use the World Wide Web…

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Honestly, if he moved his elbow 6 inches it would be ideal…but the way he positions his body he’s pretty aligned despite being awkward.

He can’t re-make his shot now, and he shouldn’t, but a subtle tweak with a shooting coach could improve that consistency slightly.

Overall though, I don’t think nba coaches will think he needs a form tweak. Just consistency with results.

Reaction Score
Years ago I went to an early season game and sat behind two older gentleman who swore up and down that Chad Wise (RIP) would be starting within a few weeks. I constantly have to remind myself that despite the wealth of useful insight that I get here, those two guys also exist and probably know how to use the World Wide Web…

Damn, I had no idea Chad Wise passed away. Eight years ago now.

Reaction Score
On just about every single mock draft he is either a late first round/second round pick so to stay he would be lucky to be picked in this year’s NBA draft I believe is inaccurate. Obviously we all want him to come back but we need to be honest about his current pro evaluation.

Reaction Score
On just about every single mock draft he is either a late first round/second round pick so to stay he would be lucky to be picked in this year’s NBA draft I believe is inaccurate. Obviously we all want him to come back but we need to be honest about his current pro evaluation.
We're nitpicking. He'd be a flyer for some NBA team, and a long-shot to make any roster. My main point stands - in this point in his career, he'd be better off trying to significantly increase is draft capital by staying another year.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley “It’s better to be in college than in a two way contract in the NBA” . That is quote not sure if it was specifically about Alex but he said it. I agree with the statement. My goodness how many times have some of those who posted something similar we immediately coronated as being casual fans who really knew nothing about how the game works.
We love our Casual Fans. God bless each and every one of them. The week after we win a Championship is their time to come out and shine.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but who would teach him a better technique? One of the current coaches? Is it allowed to get a shooting expert to help him? On campus are some great shooters too who happen to be women- how about Azzi or Paige?
Suggest you ask Coach Calhoun, if he should consult with Azzi or Paige on his shot.

Reaction Score
AK announces that he declares for the draft. Merely "testing the waters" to see how he comes out or has he made a decision to go? Possibly the latter if he goes high enough. If not, another year to improve his game won't hurt. But then will he be considered "too old" according to the NBA as one sports writer has said. Guess we need to wait and see. This is the "wait and see" 'tween-seasons.

Reaction Score
Careful buddy, Chief took a lot of heat off of a similar post.

Alex needs to come back and work on his 3 short and mid range game. His shooting slumped late and he has the capacity to leave with it as a strength.

AK can be a scoring engine when his three is swishing but he could use at least another year at the college level to improve not only his shooting stats of the 3 and mid-range but also his upper body size, strength and overall defensive skills. He is often beat by opposing bigger, stronger forwards who bump, push and force him inside. In the NBA he will be tested early and often. Of course, we all admire Alex and his contributions in these past two championships and would like for him to do well. These comments are made with his best interest in mind. We wish him good luck and success in whatever direction he chooses to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom