A'ja commitment thread [merged] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

A'ja commitment thread [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know what his point was. I didn't see him mention #1 player.

They didn't have a POY on that roster. Winning it the next season doesn't count.

Maybe not to you, but it does in my book. Great players do not just rise from the ashes. They are already at or near the top of everyone's lists just waiting for another star to move on.

Reaction Score
I'm not really sure Kerry Bascom was an All-American when Geno took the 1991 team to the Final Four. I'm inclined to think she probably didn't get enough notoriety considering UConn was probably only considered a "regional program" at that time. Does anyone have any info on whether she did make All-American?

Ms Bascom was definitely an All American given her spot on the Wall of Honor. She may have been a two time All American, and she was three time Big East POY. She was GOOD.

Reaction Score
I think that's silly! Are you saying Geno was chopped liver until he got Rebecca Lobo and Kara Walters and won the National Championship in 1995? I would say that he was a great coach to take the players he had in the late 80's and make them into a highly competitive bunch, then when he recruited Kerry Bascom who was indeed outstanding, he got them to a Final Four. By the way, I'm inclined to think that Kerry Bascom was not an All-American during her UConn career. In any case he made decent players good, he made good players better and he made outstanding players great. It doesn't work for everyone but he's typically gotten players to play better than they ever thought they could, by pushing them past the limitations that they had set for themselves. When you can bring out the best in a multitude of players, then you qualify as a great coach. Duke and Tennessee and most other teams have had outstanding teams that continually underachieved. How many teams do you think UConn has had that have underachieved? I would say NADA! With conditioning, practices and mental challenges, Geno's teams are pretty much prepared for all challenges and that speaks to Geno and Chris and his staff. If you gave Geno the recruit CCSU has had over the last four years I know that he wouldn't have won the championship this year but wouldn't you be inclined to think that they would have probably been more successful. Part of UConn's success is that he finds talent and by that I'm not talking about physical abilities alone but the type person who he feels can learn and evolve and is willing to do the work necessary to make her and HER TEAMMATES more successful. Some people recruit solely on how many points, how many rebounds, how many steals and though they are important, Geno looks longer and more DEEPLY to find someone who can do those things but more importantly play the type of game he wants to play. Stef didn't have the world coming after her when she was a high school senior but Geno saw things in her that a lot of other coaches overlooked and look what she's meant to this program. Amazing!

At no point am I saying or even implying that Coach Auriemma was chopped liver prior to getting the top players. But when the top players started arriving in bunches, his brilliance as a Coach became exponentially more evident. As good as UConn's 1995 team was, the difference maker was Nykesha Sales; defense, playmaking, scoring, she was the whole package and then some.

Kerry Bascom, as mentioned earlier was definitely an All American.

Coach Auriemma's best coaching performance, IMO, was in 2006. I cannot evaluate 1991 or the years prior.

Stefanie Dolson, is by far, the greatest single improvement from freshman to senior year. What's more impressive is that her trial came under fire. She did not have the time to take her time with her development. UConn needed her right away and she delivered. By the end of her freshman year, I thought she was the second best center in WCBB.

UConn is in a very good position to pick and choose the players they want for their program. However, I do not believe for one second that he passes on a top player because of a perception of a bad fit. He will, though, pass on top players when they do not commit to UConn when offered.

Yes, Duke and Tennessee and a number of other programs have had very good players, but name a great player with whom they have underachieved. When Tennessee had great players, they owned UConn. When Duke had better players than UConn, they were competitive. When North Carolina more talent than UConn, they owned UConn. There are not many programs about which that can be said given UConn's tremendous record. But how many times has UConn won when they were not the better team? This, however is not a good argument given the nature of basketball. Outstanding teams can have a bad day, mediocre teams can catch magic in a bottle.

Suffice it to say that Coach Auriemma is a great coach; excellent instincts, dedicated staff. Most of all, great players.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Maybe not to you, but it does in my book. Great players do not just rise from the ashes. They are already at or near the top of everyone's lists just waiting for another star to move on.
So, you are saying that a player who wins NPOY in their senior year counts as a NPOY in her other years when you say Geno has only won with a NPOY on the roster?

Maybe to you but not in my book.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"I do not believe for one second that he passes on a top player because of a perception of a bad fit."

I totally disagree. Both Geno and Dailey have said how important the fit is.

You are saying they change their standards if the player is talented enough?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
"I do not believe for one second that he passes on a top player because of a perception of a bad fit."

There was a PG who was a top 5 ranked player and 'was Uconn's to lose' who came for her official visit and left without a scholarship offer because the sit down with coach didn't go well. She is playing elsewhere now.
That was the most obvious instance I can think of proving you point.
Geno and Chris listen to the current team after recruits visit and value their opinions. And they have been doing this long enough and have enough glory that they really don't want to coach talent that they don't also like.

Reaction Score
So, you are saying that a player who wins NPOY in their senior year counts as a NPOY in her other years when you say Geno has only won with a NPOY on the roster?

Maybe to you but not in my book.

Correct. And, it is not the first time.

Your book would only eliminate two of the 9 championships, 2000 and 2013. I would like my chances with both of those rosters, no current NPOY notwithstanding.

Reaction Score

Correct. I have yet to see an instance where UConn has passed on recruiting a Top 10 player who has expressed an interest in UConn. Uonn has, however, as posted in another thread quoting from his book, stopped recruiting a player once they have chosen to weigh other options when a scholarship has been offered. "Take it or leave it."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Correct. I have yet to see an instance where UConn has passed on recruiting a Top 10 player who has expressed an interest in UConn. Uonn has, however, as posted in another thread quoting from his book, stopped recruiting a player once they have chosen to weigh other options when a scholarship has been offered. "Take it or leave it."
UcMiami mentioned one. There are others.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Correct. And, it is not the first time.

Your book would only eliminate two of the 9 championships, 2000 and 2013. I would like my chances with both of those rosters, no current NPOY notwithstanding.
I'm not arguing anything but using a player that hasn't earned a NPOY as saying Geno hasn't won one without one on the roster.

Reaction Score
There was a PG who was a top 5 ranked player and 'was Uconn's to lose' who came for her official visit and left without a scholarship offer because the sit down with coach didn't go well. She is playing elsewhere now.
Geno and Chris listen to the current team after recruits visit and value their opinions. And they have been doing this long enough and have enough glory that they really don't want to coach talent that they don't also like.

Love it! While supporting Doggydaddy's point, you totally made mine as well. I think we are agreeing to the same points from differing points of view.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Love it! While supporting Doggydaddy's point, you totally made mine as well. I think we are agreeing to the same points from differing points of view.
Not sure how that works. PG wants to play for Uconn, Uconn has shown strong interest in her. PG comes to visit. Uconn says, sorry no offer find somewhere else to play.
That would seem to be Uconn turning down talent because of chemistry issues. The player I have in mind had to scramble around to find another team that had completely stopped recruiting her and ask them if she could get a scholarship.

Reaction Score
I'm not arguing anything but using a player that hasn't earned a NPOY as saying Geno hasn't won one without one on the roster.

I suppose I could ease your semantically correct sensibilities by saying that UConn has never won without a current or future NPOY on the roster. But, in looking over the post to which you are objecting, the wording is quite clear and a point was made to explain what was meant by a national player of the year on the roster:

UConn has never won the title without a national player of the year on its roster. Ms Stewart's most recent accolades take care of last year, this year, and will cover the possibility of the next two years.UConn has never been to a Final Four without an active first team All American.

Reaction Score
Not sure how that works. PG wants to play for Uconn, Uconn has shown strong interest in her. PG comes to visit. Uconn says, sorry no offer find somewhere else to play.
That would seem to be Uconn turning down talent because of chemistry issues. The player I have in mind had to scramble around to find another team that had completely stopped recruiting her and ask them if she could get a scholarship.

So, you want to suggest that a classy program like UConn would bring in a recruit on an official all expense paid recruiting visit just to tell that recruit that she is not going to be offered a scholarship when a phone call and cancellation of the trip would do the same thing with less fuss? Maybe we are not agreeing on the same points from different angles.

Reaction Score
So, you want to suggest that a classy program like UConn would bring in a recruit on an official all expense paid recruiting visit just to tell that recruit that she is not going to be offered a scholarship when a phone call and cancellation of the trip would do the same thing with less fuss? Maybe we are not agreeing on the same points from different angles.

I think it was at the sit down with parents when he realized that she was not for him (UConn).
That is what officials are for meet and greet with athlete and parents. Parents are a very important part of the offer, what their expectations are for their child. Sometimes expectations are not the same between the parents and the school.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I suppose I could ease your semantically correct sensibilities by saying that UConn has never won without a current or future NPOY on the roster. But, in looking over the post to which you are objecting, the wording is quite clear and a point was made to explain what was meant by a national player of the year on the roster:

UConn has never won the title without a national player of the year on its roster. Ms Stewart's most recent accolades take care of last year, this year, and will cover the possibility of the next two years.UConn has never been to a Final Four without an active first team All American.

I calculated the percentages for all teams awhile back and it came down to something like 60% of teams with an NPOY have won the championship in the last 20-25 years. Don't remember the exact number, but it was significant.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Is this where we say something like, "maybe in Tennessee"? Nah, I'll be nice. Besides, I have several dear friends who are Tennessee fans.
U must b special- but we all have our crosses to bear!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think that's silly! Are you saying Geno was chopped liver until he got Rebecca Lobo and Kara Walters and won the National Championship in 1995? I would say that he was a great coach to take the players he had in the late 80's and make them into a highly competitive bunch, then when he recruited Kerry Bascom who was indeed outstanding, he got them to a Final Four. By the way, I'm inclined to think that Kerry Bascom was not an All-American during her UConn career.

Kerry Bascom was the first UCONN player named to a national All American team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That may be the reverse correlation, however. Those NPoY may have been chosen because their teams were successful enough to win the NC.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That may be the reverse correlation, however. Those NPoY may have been chosen because their teams were successful enough to win the NC.

But also, those teams were so successful because they had great players (including the best). It's impossible to separate the two.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I got what you meant. But how silly is it that you would make that correlation when the player didn't play well enough that season to win the NPOY.

Reaction Score
Didn't said unnamed player end up going to Tennessee? Still playing for them? I totally agree with everything you've said. No matter how talented, if a player doesn't have the "right stuff," UConn has always walked.

Reaction Score
Kerry Bascom was the first UCONN player named to a national All American team.
I appreciate that. I wasn't sure but I thought she might have not gotten the acclaim she should have because at that time there was a perception that UConn wasn't anything but a regional team and so her talent might have been overlooked.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is exactly what did happen, but the decision was made during the visit - bad chemistry between Geno and the family and or the team and the family. Fact is they paid for the visit, but they did not offer a scholarship at the end of the visit. Generally those situations arise earlier in the process, but I believe it was the first visit to the campus and I am pretty sure it was not preceded by an 'in-home' visit.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Didn't said unnamed player end up going to Tennessee? Still playing for them? I totally agree with everything you've said. No matter how talented, if a player doesn't have the "right stuff," UConn has always walked.
I was just trying to not make it 'personal', but yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom