2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
How do you know we haven’t? Even though we’re UConn, there are guys who for a variety of reasons may not want to come here. People pining for Cliff, he’s supposedly earmarked for St John’s. We’ve never been mentioned with Ballo. Who else are we not shooting “high enough” on?

Lastly, Hurley himself in the last week basically lambasted teams/fans who only focus on the stats when putting together a team. He talked about fit, culture, parents, etc. There’s so much more to this than just grabbing the biggest name or the dude with the gaudiest stats.
We’re all speculating here, like I said I’m fine with whoever Hurley picks, he knows a hell of a lot more than I do about him. If he can come in and be the starter I’m good with it.

Reaction Score
How do you know we haven’t? Even though we’re UConn, there are guys who for a variety of reasons may not want to come here. People pining for Cliff, he’s supposedly earmarked for St John’s. We’ve never been mentioned with Ballo. Who else are we not shooting “high enough” on?

Lastly, Hurley himself in the last week basically lambasted teams/fans who only focus on the stats when putting together a team. He talked about fit, culture, parents, etc. There’s so much more to this than just grabbing the biggest name or the dude with the gaudiest stats.
Shocked if we aren't pushing for Omoruyi given what a priority he was during his high school career. But granted bringing in players with only one year has worked in the past, it's nice to have a player a couple years. That could be part of it. It's gotta be a burden on the coaches to only have players one season.

Reaction Score
Yeah hopefully they could earn a starter's position, but NONE of them we're told they were going to be starters. NONE of them were top transfers. Before we got Cam Spencer we were going after Timberlake and he for sure would not have beena a starter.
Tristen Newton was told he would be a starter. Cam Spencer was told he would be a starter. RJ Cole was told he would be a starter. Tyrese Martin was told he would be a starter. They were all pretty coveted transfers…

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure this is what you are referencing from the Courant article. "Lambasted" is a little strong. No lambasting here. :)

“Our approach is a little bit different on the visits, there’s a lot of characteristics that we’re looking for, that we want to make sure that people have for us, because we’ve got the best product in college basketball right now. So as much as we need to recruit people right now, we’re also vetting out what our program was,” Hurley said.

“We clearly have all of the resources in place and we’ll continue to do that at UConn, but we’ve got to make sure that it is a two-way street and I think a lot of schools miss on that. They look at just production and numbers and talent. You’re not putting together an All-Star team, you’re putting together a team that’s gotta be able to function.”

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure this is what you are referencing from the Courant article. "Lambasted" is a little strong. No lambasting here. :)

“Our approach is a little bit different on the visits, there’s a lot of characteristics that we’re looking for, that we want to make sure that people have for us, because we’ve got the best product in college basketball right now. So as much as we need to recruit people right now, we’re also vetting out what our program was,” Hurley said.

“We clearly have all of the resources in place and we’ll continue to do that at UConn, but we’ve got to make sure that it is a two-way street and I think a lot of schools miss on that. They look at just production and numbers and talent. You’re not putting together an All-Star team, you’re putting together a team that’s gotta be able to function.”
Yup, my memory was that his wording was a bit stronger. But, the point holds true. Our offense was ridiculous in part because we had a big man who get the ball at the top of the circle and deliver a pass and set killer screens. Reed’s skillset seems to be there. The other more “bouncy” bigs don’t seem to have that. Our offense was also difficult because of the contrast with Samson. Wide body and guy who can slip for alley oops.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Recovering from an Achilles Heal injury. This year was his first full season playing college basketball. I felt he improved as the season progressed.

The second biggest problem is his inability to stop his moving screens. He’s too reactive. It’s terrific in the pick and roll but gets him in trouble with setting screens. In my opinion he did improve as the season progressed so hopefully he removes this bad habit next season.

His biggest problem is he gets pushed around on defense against strong centers and his tendency is to use his arms to push players back resulting in fouls. He not only needs to get stronger but needs to learn to keep his arms close to his body. This is the debate. Can he gain weight to avoid being pushed. It’s the major reason we’re recruiting Reed.

Additionally he needs major improvement in fouling while blocking shots. Again I saw improvement as the season progressed and feel with experience he will improve. He has the potential to be a great shot blocker.
On those screens he seems to want to make himself wider so he kicks his leg out. Easy call for the stripes. He is rail thin

Reaction Score
On those screens he seems to want to make himself wider so he kicks his leg out. Easy call for the stripes. He is rail thin
I called it the Eifel Tower screen. Backup center fouling a guard 30' from the basket is always a tough swallow.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That I'm the first to react and comment is a suggestably good example of how few people notice or care.

It’s a pet peeve but I always let it go. But I’ve never seen a situation where its misuse conveyed the opposite of what the sentence was supposed to convey.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Finally watched some highlight videos my son showed me. I want a commitment by the end of business day Monday, the kid has great size and skills.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised ESPN has Reed ranked above Goldin, but it just goes to show UConn isn't alone in thinking highly of him.

screen4.jpg

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It’s a pet peeve but I always let it go. But I’ve never seen a situation where its misuse conveyed the opposite of what the sentence was supposed to convey.
Is there a fat chance or a slim chance that you'll see another one as good?

My favorite pet peeve is the increasing prevalence with which here and elsewhere I see the present and past tense of "lead" written as though it operates the same as the present and past tense of "read."

Where better to mention this than within a thread on Tarris Reed?

Reaction Score
It is hilarious to see everyone do mental gymnastics here. Reed is an average big man. And that’s ok. But he will never be Sanogo
The Poster (RipCity) said the above to which you replied:
GlastonTim said:
"Don’t quite understand the hate."

To which I said:
"So, using your apparent definition, when DH and the staff have honest discussions with each player about how they fit with the team's makeup and goals for next year it's hateful to outline their shortcomings that, left uncorrected, will limit a player's time on the floor and their ability to help the team?

My response to your question?
It's an analogy. If you felt RipCity's comment was an example of hate then you would likely believe the coaching staff giving a player an honest opinion of their shortcomings would be hateful (hate in your opinion).

Reaction Score
Recovering from an Achilles Heal injury. This year was his first full season playing college basketball. I felt he improved as the season progressed.

The second biggest problem is his inability to stop his moving screens. He’s too reactive. It’s terrific in the pick and roll but gets him in trouble with setting screens. In my opinion he did improve as the season progressed so hopefully he removes this bad habit next season.

His biggest problem is he gets pushed around on defense against strong centers and his tendency is to use his arms to push players back resulting in fouls. He not only needs to get stronger but needs to learn to keep his arms close to his body. This is the debate. Can he gain weight to avoid being pushed. It’s the major reason we’re recruiting Reed.

Additionally he needs major improvement in fouling while blocking shots. Again I saw improvement as the season progressed and feel with experience he will improve. He has the potential to be a great shot blocker.
No issues with what you're saying. My point was HD developed his offense beyond anyone's expectations with the work he put in last summer and SJ didn't improve much offensively, if at all.

Reaction Score
The Poster (RipCity) said the above to which you replied:
GlastonTim said:
"Don’t quite understand the hate."

To which I said:
"So, using your apparent definition, when DH and the staff have honest discussions with each player about how they fit with the team's makeup and goals for next year it's hateful to outline their shortcomings that, left uncorrected, will limit a player's time on the floor and their ability to help the team?

My response to your question?
It's an analogy. If you felt RipCity's comment was an example of hate then you would likely believe the coaching staff giving a player an honest opinion of their shortcomings would be hateful (hate in your opinion).
Uh, no.

Reaction Score
Tristen Newton was told he would be a starter. Cam Spencer was told he would be a starter. RJ Cole was told he would be a starter. Tyrese Martin was told he would be a starter. They were all pretty coveted transfers…
They were not coveted transfers. Cam Spencer wasnt a starter until he showed up. The staff was shocked at how good he was. Martin and Cole had connections to the program already. No one at our level was looking at them. And Newton was not good when he first showed up. We were all hoping they would be good. And they all took time to work into our system.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They were not coveted transfers. Cam Spencer wasnt a starter until he showed up. The staff was shocked at how good he was. Martin and Cole had connections to the program already. No one at our level was looking at them. And Newton was not good when he first showed up. We were all hoping they would be good. And they all took time to work into our system.
This is some revisionist history at its finest. Newton was an all AAC player who averaged 18/5/5 and Cam was the best player on a bubble team who averaged 13/4/3 on 44/43/90 shooting splits. They both outperformed initial expectations here but to say they weren't highly coveted transfers is just way off.

Cole was the reigning player of the year (albeit in a very bad conference) and Martin was multiple year started and double digit scorer on URI teams that won games in the NCAA tournament.

If all 4 were entering the portal today (pre UConn success) they'd all be highly sought after from major P5/BE programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom