2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 15 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
I mean, you're wrong, on some of these at least. We went up against some of the biggest transfer names for Spencer. He visited Miami (coming off Final Four with success with transfers like Omier and Pack) who had Life Wallet NIL money. We knew we had a hole at the 2 and he was absolutely penciled in to be a starter from Day 1.

Newton also was penciled in to start. There was some internal questioning about whether Jackson would play PG and Newton play more of a combo role, but that's it. He was always thought to be in the starting lineup (though Diarra pushed him in practice because Diarra is more Hurley's "style" of player and brought more intensity in the workouts). He was coveted, though the transfer portal wasn't as en vogue when he came out and we had the inside track from our AAC days so he only visited us. He was All-Conference AAC with multiple years remaining. People wanted him.

As you say, Cole wasn't brought in to start, but that's because he had to sit out a year. Martin was more "in the mix" because he needed to get a waiver or he wouldn't have been immediately eligible. He won the job early on, he was starting game 2 he played for us.
"Penciled in" is not told they would be a starter.
Lol. UConn would not have gotten commitments from Newton & Spencer without guaranteeing them a starting job, that’s how this work man. And yes, they were absolutely coveted recruits, what are you even talking about?. And RJ Cole? Let’s not forget he had an official visit lined up to Alabama before he committed, Nate Oats wanted him.
For a top 20 transfer, yeah, you probably have to make promises to them. Our guys weren't top 20 transfers. The conversation to these transfers is "we have a hole at this position, there is lots of playing time to be earned". Can anyone show where Hurley has said so and so was promised a starting role. Show me.. Ive never seen it. You make those promises to a player and the moment things dont pan out youve got pissed off people and bad chemistry.

Reaction Score
Don't know how to draw on here. At what angle would you draw his development curve? Steep or shallow? Flattening, maintaining or steepening. I saw big development over the latter part of the season(going from 30 to 45 degrees?), but certainly continuing upward if not steepening. If healthy, his curve may steepen again from UConn to the NBA. Hoping this is a semi intelligible post, had difficulty expressing myself.

I may need to bring out my trigonometry notes from HS.

I think he can be an impactful defender in the NBA from day 1, he certainly has upward growth to maximize his ability to defend at the next level.

On O, he has good hands but limited moves to go to, many times in the tournament we saw him throw the ball at the hoop hoping to get fouled, I think that comes with needing a much stronger base in order to establish and maintain positioning on the block so he can eventually use baby hooks and jumpers.

Physical development on O from day one is what I think will help his game the most before he actually adds skills to his bag. Has to be careful any weight gain doesn't hinder his mobility which is excellent for his size. He's also high waisted which makes adding strength to his legs a bit different than other centers.

In all I'll go with a shallow, but flat while also maintaining curve.

^Joke. I have no idea.

Reaction Score
Don't know how to draw on here. At what angle would you draw his development curve? Steep or shallow? Flattening, maintaining or steepening. I saw big development over the latter part of the season(going from 30 to 45 degrees?), but certainly continuing upward if not steepening. If healthy, his curve may steepen again from UConn to the NBA. Hoping this is a semi intelligible post, had difficulty expressing myself.
I would draw it pretty flat. Which is not to say he didn't improve while he was here, but he came in so much more ready than I ever expected that there was very little room for growth at the college level. It was obvious from the second he stepped on the court that he was a dominant college basketball player.

Reaction Score
Lol. UConn would not have gotten commitments from Newton & Spencer without guaranteeing them a starting job, that’s how this work man. And yes, they were absolutely coveted recruits, what are you even talking about?. And RJ Cole? Let’s not forget he had an official visit lined up to Alabama before he committed, Nate Oats wanted him.
You don't think Nick Timberlake was also told by Kansas he was going to start?

Reality is somewhere in the middle here (as is usually the case). I'm sure transfers -- especially those whom material NIL money is being thrown at -- come with an expectation shared by the coach that the goal and expectation is for them to be a starter. But other than Calipari, who always seems to find minutes for people totally detached to what they are earning by their performance, the vast majority of coaches -- certainly including Hurley -- come into a season with an expectation of who is going to play and who is going to be in the rotations, but will do whatever they think will make the team better once practice starts.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You might want to sit down for this shocking news: Sports fans, for at least the last century, have referred to the teams they root for as "we" or "us."
No, I get that. Most of us know that doesn't get us a seat in the board room.

Reaction Score
I would draw it pretty flat. Which is not to say he didn't improve while he was here, but he came in so much more ready than I ever expected that there was very little room for growth at the college level. It was obvious from the second he stepped on the court that he was a dominant college basketball player.
Seems like I'm in the minority here, so I'll just smile and go on my way. Can't wait to watch the Clingan non-Project unfold;)

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
That's kind of a wink @Matrim55 :) This is great news, staff gets their target. It's a real plus that he has two years and can really buy into the program.
It's not a wink! I have zero inside info here, and I don't think he's committed yet.

But the staff's prioritizing him, our last two centers have gone/will be going to the NBA, we develop players and win titles.

I can't imagine this kid's not on the roster next year.

Reaction Score
Ummmm.... a bit of a reminder for you:

In his last year at Rutgers, Cam averaged 13.2 / 3.1 / 3.8 and shot 43% on three's
In his last year at ECU, Tristen averaged 17.7 / 5.0 / 4.8 and was 2nd team All-AAC
Immediately after Tristen committed, Jahmir Young that ended up at Maryland cancelled his visit. Same spot.

Reaction Score
Actually, how it works is that both the coaches and the portal kid have an idea of how the kid fits into the pecking order of the roster and if the expectation is that the kid should start, that is said. The word is expectation and not guarantee. Practices determine who starts and who gets minutes on winning ball clubs.

Reaction Score
Clingan's tourney performance in Maui last year, even caused Walton to compare Clingan's game to his own game.

Walton heaped continued praise on DC during those games.
you mean in the PK80 tournament in Oregon. For this upcoming 2024-2025 season, UConn will be in Maui.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He was a stalwart on d and on the glass. He definitely needed (and still needs) to refine his offensive game outside of catching lobs and dump offs, ImO.
Hard to demonstrate his offensive moves (he had good good footwork moves like Sanogo and could shoot with either hand including hooks ) when you are being doubled and triple teamed. He was much maligned for not having gone to a prep school and yet had better moves than any incoming center to Uconn that I have seen with the possible exception of Sanogo. We don't know how he will fit in at the next level as presumably he will be expected to work on an outside shot of some kind. We can only speculate on that.

Reaction Score
Ex
Actually, how it works is that both the coaches and the portal kid have an idea of how the kid fits into the pecking order of the roster and if the expectation is that the kid should start, that is said. The word is expectation and not guarantee. Practices determine who starts and who gets minutes on winning ball clubs.
Exactly, there are never guarantees. Thats ridiculous.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Reed the Legend played in the Garden with pain:

Great way to work vintage Knicks back into the conversation. My reference standard for team ball will always be the Celtics that preceded the Knicks; various Celtics team after, the '75 Warriors, but an additional reflection upon considering recruiting, roster construction, power conferences, etc.

With the exceptions of Jerry Lucas (THE OSU) and Cazzie Russell (Michigan), that vintage era of Knicks was not filled with high D-1 players.

Look up where Reed, DeBusschere, Frazier, Monroe, Barnett, Komives, Stallworth, and Jackson went to college. Bradley, out of Princeton, would be the player out of the next most prestigious basketball school.

Reaction Score
Thats what Slamson brings when he comes in and does his change of pace
Samson and Tarris Reed aren’t the same type of player lol. Reed is a physical bruising type of player. Both are 6’10 but johnson is listed at 225 while Reed 265

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure Wagner was the #1 ranked player or at least was for quite some time.
He plays hard but has less of a shot than Stephon. He also had an ankle injury I believe

Reaction Score
you mean in the PK80 tournament in Oregon. For this upcoming 2024-2025 season, UConn will be in Maui.
Thank you.

I guess I must have remembered Walton's broadcasting a prior one from Maui and made the association since he is a surfer type and I associate the two together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom