2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
The metrics... not great. It's hard to separate him from his dumpster fire of a team. He was a starter in the dumpster after all.

He only had a point guard for half the games and his coach got fired 3 years after taking his team to the Elite 8, so we're talking about a Kevin Ollie-type situation here.

But let's be blunt here. The team was better on offense when he was off the court and the defense was unchanged, but opponents shot better at the rim with him in... and it was not a good number. When he had McDaniel, the difference was not much. But that just means he was not the spark lighting the dumpster on fire, there's no evidence that he was rising from the ashes.

There's certainly raw material to work with as judged by his recruiting pedigree. But work to be done.

Reaction Score
Interesting we are in so deep with him with Luke being a huge analytics guy and seeing Reed’s analytics. They must really think there is a diamond in the rough here. Maybe our top big choices are either too expensive or interested in other schools as well. We shall see.

Reaction Score
Interesting we are in so deep with him with Luke being a huge analytics guy and seeing Reed’s analytics. They must really think there is a diamond in the rough here. Maybe our top big choices are either too expensive or interested in other schools as well. We shall see.
My best guess is this is the best option they feel like they can bring in without needing to look for 2 big men in the portal

Reaction Score
Also, the staff has a good understanding of which current players are staying vs going and the fans don't, so the portal pickups won't always make perfect sense to the fans at this point in the off-season.

Reaction Score
We need a big man who plays D without fouling or we could have issues next season. That would be a big factor for me if I was on the UConn staff. Passing skills, rebounding and being a decent foul shooter. Offensive skills are a bonus, but those are a must in this offense.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The metrics... not great. It's hard to separate him from his dumpster fire of a team. He was a starter in the dumpster after all.

He only had a point guard for half the games and his coach got fired 3 years after taking his team to the Elite 8, so we're talking about a Kevin Ollie-type situation here.
There is no big man in the world outside of Jokic who could look even decent w/ a bad coach and no guards.

Reed has great size and close to elite feel -- sets good screens (could & will improve) and is a very, very good passer. Not a quick jumper so he's not an excellent finisher around the rim, but he's still very good.

Very good but not elite paint protector. Excellent 1v1 post defender and very good pick & roll defender.

Basically a poor man's version of Clingan. I don't think we reasonably could've asked for me.

Reaction Score
Reed Jr: 5 pts (2/5), 11 rbs, 3 blcks 2 stls, only 1 PF & 1 TO against St. John's in 25 minutes

Soriano: 12 pts (6/8), 9 rbs, 1 blck, 0 stl, 1 PF & 1 TO in 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
This is always a factor to consider.

His play-style does also complement Samson's. He's big and strong and physical. A bit more below the rim and a great rebounder.
It might also be a situation where the coaches watch some film of him playing and notice the weaknesses, but Kimani or Luke say, "we can fix that easily". They might be taking a MoneyBall approach knowing Reed won't break the bank.

Reaction Score
Reed's a 6'10 265 with a 7'4 wingspan and entered Michigan 240 as the #40 recruit of the '22 HS class.

I didn't watch Michigan at all this year, but watching tape on him he's a classic big with 84% of his FGAs at or near the rim (59 FG% on those shots), most of which come from post-up attempts and roll/pop situations.

Defensively, he ranked as Michigan's third most efficient defender, which is pretty impressive considering that both Will Tschetter and former Seton Hall forward Tray Jackson are awful, leaving Reed on an island as the last line of defense once Olivier Nkamhoua was out for the year.

Some other stats:
  • 146th nationally in offensive rebounding rate
  • 161st in block rate
  • 262nd in defensive rebounding rate
  • Improved his FT in Big Ten conference play (64%) vs 47.2% in non-conference play and 40% the previous season.
  • His 25.3 turnover rate concerns me, but then again, Michigan was horrible.
Hurley and Co. have earned my undivided trust in their transfer targets. Too many base hits and grand slams.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There is no big man in the world outside of Jokic who could look even decent w/ a bad coach and no guards.

Reed has great size and close to elite feel -- sets good screens (could & will improve) and is a very, very good passer. Not a quick jumper so he's not an excellent finisher around the rim, but he's still very good.

Very good but not elite paint protector. Excellent 1v1 post defender and very good pick & roll defender.

Basically a poor man's version of Clingan. I don't think we reasonably could've asked for me.

How about a version of Sanogo?

Reaction Score
Reed's a 6'10 265 with a 7'4 wingspan and entered Michigan 240 as the #40 recruit of the '22 HS class.

I didn't watch Michigan at all this year, but watching tape on him he's a classic big with 84% of his FGAs at or near the rim (59 FG% on those shots), most of which come from post-up attempts and roll/pop situations.

Defensively, he ranked as Michigan's third most efficient defender, which is pretty impressive considering that both Will Tschetter and former Seton Hall forward Tray Jackson are awful, leaving Reed on an island as the last line of defense once Olivier Nkamhoua was out for the year.

Some other stats:
  • 146th nationally in offensive rebounding rate
  • 161st in block rate
  • 262nd in defensive rebounding rate
  • Improved his FT in Big Ten conference play (64%) vs 47.2% in non-conference play and 40% the previous season.
  • His 25.3 turnover rate concerns me, but then again, Michigan was horrible.
Hurley and Co. have earned my undivided trust in their transfer targets. Too many base hits and grand slams.
Looking at the highlights I posted, he could benefit from losing a few pounds. His frame is much different than Clingan and carries the weight differently.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I get the impression theydon’t want to appear to be recruiting over Samson. This seems to be a complementary player who has muscle to play against more physical centers.

Reaction Score
Gotta look beyond his stats. Watch the tape. Quick, Big frame, Great footwork, quick twitch, good passer, 2 yrs eligibility. He tries to play like Karl Malone. Looks like him physically. Will be great both sides with pick and roll. Someone said in other thread Jeff Adrien-ish

Reaction Score
I get the impression theydon’t want to appear to be recruiting over Samson. This seems to be a complementary player who has muscle to play against more physical centers.
I wonder if we got a more elite center and Samson wanted to leave if we Singare would be able to handle playing a backup role. I guess if that doesn't happen we might red shirt hm?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom