2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr. | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Tarris Reed Jr.

Reaction Score
They were not coveted transfers. Cam Spencer wasnt a starter until he showed up. The staff was shocked at how good he was. Martin and Cole had connections to the program already. No one at our level was looking at them. And Newton was not good when he first showed up. We were all hoping they would be good. And they all took time to work into our system.
I mean, you're wrong, on some of these at least. We went up against some of the biggest transfer names for Spencer. He visited Miami (coming off Final Four with success with transfers like Omier and Pack) who had Life Wallet NIL money. We knew we had a hole at the 2 and he was absolutely penciled in to be a starter from Day 1.

Newton also was penciled in to start. There was some internal questioning about whether Jackson would play PG and Newton play more of a combo role, but that's it. He was always thought to be in the starting lineup (though Diarra pushed him in practice because Diarra is more Hurley's "style" of player and brought more intensity in the workouts). He was coveted, though the transfer portal wasn't as en vogue when he came out and we had the inside track from our AAC days so he only visited us. He was All-Conference AAC with multiple years remaining. People wanted him.

As you say, Cole wasn't brought in to start, but that's because he had to sit out a year. Martin was more "in the mix" because he needed to get a waiver or he wouldn't have been immediately eligible. He won the job early on, he was starting game 2 he played for us.

Reaction Score
They were not coveted transfers. Cam Spencer wasnt a starter until he showed up. The staff was shocked at how good he was. Martin and Cole had connections to the program already. No one at our level was looking at them. And Newton was not good when he first showed up. We were all hoping they would be good. And they all took time to work into our system.

Holy revisionist history

Reaction Score
Lol. UConn would not have gotten commitments from Newton & Spencer without guaranteeing them a starting job, that’s how this work man. And yes, they were absolutely coveted recruits, what are you even talking about?. And RJ Cole? Let’s not forget he had an official visit lined up to Alabama before he committed, Nate Oats wanted him.

Reaction Score
Lol. UConn would not have gotten commitments from Newton & Spencer without guaranteeing them a starting job, that’s how this work man. And yes, they were absolutely coveted recruits, what are you even talking about?. And RJ Cole? Let’s not forget he had an official visit lined up to Alabama before he committed, Nate Oats wanted him.

We aren't guaranteeing spots. It's more nuanced than that. You don't say "RJ you are starting next year." It's more like "You have the talent to be a starter and we won't be recruiting over you; now go prove it"

Reaction Score
Ummmm.... a bit of a reminder for you:

In his last year at Rutgers, Cam averaged 13.2 / 3.1 / 3.8 and shot 43% on three's
In his last year at ECU, Tristen averaged 17.7 / 5.0 / 4.8 and was 2nd team All-AAC

Reaction Score
We aren't guaranteeing spots. It's more nuanced than that. You don't say "RJ you are starting next year." It's more like "You have the talent to be a starter and we won't be recruiting over you; now go prove it"
My point was more so with guys like Newton and Spencer, they just arent getting those guys if they are being recruited to be bench players and I’m definitely pushing back on them specifically not being coveted transfers. They definitely were. And with a guy like RJ, yeah, you’re right. They clear the path for him to clearly be the starter by not recruiting other guys at that spot. Obviously has to prove it but intentions are pretty clear with the staff as a whole.

Reaction Score
He coming.
Lets Go Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

Reaction Score
The Poster (RipCity) said the above to which you replied:
GlastonTim said:
"Don’t quite understand the hate."

To which I said:
"So, using your apparent definition, when DH and the staff have honest discussions with each player about how they fit with the team's makeup and goals for next year it's hateful to outline their shortcomings that, left uncorrected, will limit a player's time on the floor and their ability to help the team?

My response to your question?
It's an analogy. If you felt RipCity's comment was an example of hate then you would likely believe the coaching staff giving a player an honest opinion of their shortcomings would be hateful (hate in your opinion).
his comment, i'm pretty sure, was in reference to our mostly moronic fanbase showing out on this thread who are throwing unnecessary shade on our first recruit, based only on LAST yrs stats, not on his talent, his potential, his measurables. They haven't watched any film, but they are only extrapolating results on a bad team, with poor tactical coach, and guards who arent effective. Luckily receipts now exist when Reed jr thrives. Then next yr we will have the revisionist history just like how Spencer was a mostly unknown who surprised us. smh

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Cam Spencer wasnt a starter until he showed up. The staff was shocked at how good he was.
That quote was going around in some reporting and I think too much has been made of it. They knew he was good coming in, obviously (Cam was really good at Rutgers), but when the practices started, he was even better than expected... probably a side effect of joining a better offense with more talent around him.

Reaction Score
You might want to sit down for this shocking news: Sports fans, for at least the last century, have referred to the teams they root for as "we" or "us."
WE need less people concerned with how WE refer to ourselves as we discuss things about OUR program;)

Reaction Score
Ummmm.... a bit of a reminder for you:

In his last year at Rutgers, Cam averaged 13.2 / 3.1 / 3.8 and shot 43% on three's
In his last year at ECU, Tristen averaged 17.7 / 5.0 / 4.8 and was 2nd team All-AAC
I watched Cams Rutgers videos after he committed, couldn't believe what I saw. Kid was a dynamo there and a bigger dynamo here. My kinfolk are Rutgers grads and donors. I tried mightily not to be too obnoxious when I saw them this year. Brother in law moaning about losing him still!

Reaction Score
Much of the BY thought Clinhgan was a project.
He wasn't? What if he was 6'8?? Can't coach 7'2. The results from the ongoing Clingan project will be amazing to see. He is still such a colt. As the season progressed you saw flashes of "Man" strength/speed/quickness or polished moves. Give it 3 years, gonna be great to see:)

Reaction Score
He wasn't? What if he was 6'8?? Can't coach 7'2. The results from the ongoing Clingan project will be amazing to see. He is still such a colt. As the season progressed you saw flashes of "Man" strength/speed/quickness or polished moves. Give it 3 years, gonna be great to see:)

He was a stalwart on d and on the glass. He definitely needed (and still needs) to refine his offensive game outside of catching lobs and dump offs, ImO.

Reaction Score
Not really? Youssouf Singare is a project. Clingan wasn't polished on offense in terms of putting the ball in the hoop but he was a defensive gamechanger from day 1. I wouldn't consider him a project, like at all.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? It was extremely clear in his first 10 minutes of playing time that he was already very good.

Reaction Score
He was a stalwart on d and on the glass. He definitely needed (and still needs) to refine his offensive game outside of catching lobs and dump offs, ImO.
Don't know how to draw on here. At what angle would you draw his development curve? Steep or shallow? Flattening, maintaining or steepening. I saw big development over the latter part of the season(going from 30 to 45 degrees?), but certainly continuing upward if not steepening. If healthy, his curve may steepen again from UConn to the NBA. Hoping this is a semi intelligible post, had difficulty expressing myself.

Reaction Score
Are you serious? It was extremely clear in his first 10 minutes of playing time that he was already very good.

That is my recollection. There was a lot of hesitation and thoughts that he could be a stiff but 10 minutes in we all realized he was a unicorn in the way that he moves.

Reaction Score
Some athletes are Heat and Serve, not much necessary for them to plug in and succeed(Steph?). Others are stir and simmer(more of a project, like Sunday gravy for the Italians on the board)). Yes, he was effective, but in my mind that was his talent and potential(and 7'2) shining through. He had limitations though with regards to skills and physical attributes that needed to be developed. The end result is going to be something to see, but yes he was an immediate impact player, albeit far from the player he is going to be. Nothing negative, just every time I watched him do something great, I just looked down the road at how much greater he is going to be as a finished project.

Reaction Score
That is my recollection. There was a lot of hesitation and thoughts that he could be a stiff but 10 minutes in we all realized he was a unicorn in the way that he moves.
Agree.... some were worried that Donovan never moved up and transfered to a prep school instead he stayed home and just dominated the CCC.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
By the time they played in the PKI, sixth game of Donovan's freshman year, Bill Walton was raving about Clingan and how well he'd been coached in high school.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Agree.... some were worried that Donovan never transfered to a prep school and stayed home and just dominated the CCC.
There was a lot of that. Even after he got here. I remember that was why he was "going to slip into the second round".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom