2014 Recruiting Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2014 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
there are 10 rbs in fl for 2014 that are just like newsome. fl is a stretch but def possible for him, we have 4 local rbs that all will be highly sought after. we need to keep 1 or 2 of them home. we shall see...

everyone hammer her with uconn tweets!

Reaction Score
Oh my - not sure which year this player would be eligible... would be a good get for wr. Was @ Eric Mangini's camp in Htfd this year.

Reaction Score

Wow... pretty in depth article. Hope UConn doesn't give up and stays close to him (alot can change in two years).

"Newsome is the first to admit he's still a bit on the small side, and isn't necessarily taken all that seriously due to playing in a modest football state. So he went out this summer and found a big football state to play in: Florida."Coach Brockett and my uncle (Matthew Roscoe) helped get me to camps at Florida, Florida State and Miami," said Newsome, who can bench press 250 pounds. "I've always been a Florida Gators fan, so that was fun. I felt I did OK with the competition that was there, maybe a little better than I was expecting from myself. All you can do is try and see what's out there and try to get better." So far the only major college programs he's heard from are the University of Connecticut and Massachusetts. While that's not exactly a landslide of interest, it's a lot at the moment for a junior-to-be who's as small as Newsome and who plays at a school as small as Ansonia."

Reaction Score
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer.....but it sounds as though it's going to be VERY tough to keep Newsome home.

pj

Reaction Score
Not to sound like a Debbie Downer.....but it sounds as though it's going to be VERY tough to keep Newsome home.

We'll see. He wants to be recognized nationally, and see what's out there, and who wouldn't? When it comes down to it UConn will be competitive nationally on the field, in the practice facility and in the coaches, and the opportunity to play near home and be a home state hero can be a big draw.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
db-payne-blanding
db-
dl-shaw-
dl-
dl-
lb-strachan-jackson-
te-dickerson-
wr-kamara
rb-newsome
rb-
qb-peavey-
ol-hayes-baker-mayes-wilkins
ol-
ol-
ath-hyster-
k-

on the radar:
rb-outlow-lewin-cooper-pacheco-mcallister-johnston-thomas-beckford
lb-smiley-root-nelson-privott-moore-morin
ath-cioffi-linta-scott-peart-cavallaro
qb-long-dukes-flutie-barmore-carbone-nutile-belcher-gustafson-gallagher-marchi
ol-hendren-dintino-keener-uptegraff-
db-grice-bearfield-bletzer-thornton-
wr-cunningham-moore-battle-gause-yiadom-allen-dunlap
dl-r. holmes-boxen-d. holmes-

-beckford added to radar

Reaction Score
newsome was in the house last night
Good to hear. Hope he visits the Rent a lot over the next few years.

Tonight Newsome and his Charger teammates headed to the shore for their annual scrimmage with West Haven. Newsome scored 3TDs over the 3Qs of varsity action, as Ansonia beat WH 21-0. Jai'Quan McKnight (Class of 2015) continues to improve as a QB. Ansonia has made a conscious effort to throw the ball so far during the preseason. Matos (Class of 2013) has looked impressive. In fact, they have been pass heavy in their first two scrimmages. McKnight has the arm, Ansonia has the athletes to open things up, with Matos, O'Connor, and Finney. It could be to keep Newsome healthy and fresh, makes sense. If they get their passing game going, then that's bad news for opponents. It stretches a defense and leaves running lanes for Newsome. McKnight also picked off a pass on West Haven first offensive series of the scrimmage. Ansonia has size upfront, but they are young and inexperienced. They're coming together. The Chargers preseason schedule will have the young guys game ready. Ansonia's biggest strength could be their defense. They are fast, and physical. Ansonia finishes the preseason on Thursday, Sept 6 @ Shelton, 6PM.

Reaction Score
Good to hear. Hope he visits the Rent a lot over the next few years.

Tonight Newsome and his Charger teammates headed to the shore for their annual scrimmage with West Haven. Newsome scored 3TDs over the 3Qs of varsity action, as Ansonia beat WH 21-0. Jai'Quan McKnight (Class of 2015) continues to improve as a QB. Ansonia has made a conscious effort to throw the ball so far during the preseason. Matos (Class of 2013) has looked impressive. In fact, they have been pass heavy in their first two scrimmages. McKnight has the arm, Ansonia has the athletes to open things up, with Matos, O'Connor, and Finney. It could be to keep Newsome healthy and fresh, makes sense. If they get their passing game going, then that's bad news for opponents. It stretches a defense and leaves running lanes for Newsome. McKnight also picked off a pass on West Haven first offensive series of the scrimmage. Ansonia has size upfront, but they are young and inexperienced. They're coming together. The Chargers preseason schedule will have the young guys game ready. Ansonia's biggest strength could be their defense. They are fast, and physical. Ansonia finishes the preseason on Thursday, Sept 6 @ Shelton, 6PM.

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2012/09/ansonias-newsome-enjoyed-trip-to-uconn.html

Jim Fuller - NHR
Saturday, September 01, 2012

Ansonia's Newsome enjoyed trip to UConn game

On my way home from the office today I took a little bit of a detour and decided to check out the always entertaining scrimmage between West Haven and Ansonia.

Back when I was the lead high school football writer I rarely missed the preseason showdown between the Blue Devils and Chargers which was a scrimmage in name only. Friday's event was no different as the teams, who figure to be two of the state's top squads, went at it as if it was a state playoff game. I had another reason to check out the action since Ansonia junior running back Arkeel Newsome has been offered by UConn and was in attendance at Thursday's home opener against UMass.

After Newsome scored three touchdowns in a 28-7 win over West Haven I spent a couple of minutes with Newsome, who ran for 3,763 yards and scored 62 touchdowns in 14 games as a sophomore.

"It was a great experience and they won," Newsome said. "It was kind of weird because both of the schools gave me offers and I went to the game and UConn won.

"It was really exciting, they have an amazing crowd and I was happy to be a part it."

Newsome, who had seven 300-yard rushing games as a sophomore including a 401-yard effort against Derby, is in no rush to make his college decision. "I'm not that too close, I am just focused on our season."

So what was the best part of the trip to UConn (other than the fact that Ansonia coach Tom Brockett let him out of Thursday's practice a little early so he could make it to Rentschler?)
"Just how the fans the react to big plays, they are all into in and I was rooting along with them."

Newsome said that UConn and UMass are the only schools to offer him at the current time.

I've heard some rumblings that UConn has some interest in West Haven junior running back Ervin Phillips. Phillips, who is likely flying a bit under the radar, but is a dynamic player. For as impressive as he was on the field, it was the way he went over the West Haven's quarterback after an interception and encouraged him to leave the mistake in the past and move forward that made the biggest impression on me. When you combine his physical gifts with the leadership skills he possesses and somebody will be getting quite a gem when he picks a college.

Reaction Score
Ansonia
Jai'Quan McKnight has on red jersey.
Newsome is obvious.
Matos had some long gains via the pass, a nice run on a scissors play, had a long TD catch late in video.

West Haven
Ervin Phillips (Class of 2014) is a very good player
Javon Taylor (QB, 6'3) is a transfer from Wilbur Cross

Both teams should be factors in the state playoff picture.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
db-payne-blanding
db-
dl-shaw-
dl-
dl-
lb-strachan-jackson-
te-dickerson-
wr-kamara
rb-newsome
rb-
qb-peavey-
ol-hayes-baker-mayes-wilkins
ol-
ol-
ath-hyster-
k-

on the radar:
rb-outlow-lewin-cooper-pacheco-mcallister-johnston-thomas-beckford-phillips-blyden
lb-smiley-root-nelson-privott-moore-morin
ath-cioffi-linta-scott-peart-cavallaro
qb-long-dukes-flutie-barmore-carbone-nutile-belcher-gustafson-gallagher-marchi-tayor
ol-bryan-hendren-dintino-keener-uptegraff-
db-grice-bearfield-bletzer-thornton-
wr-cunningham-moore-battle-gause-yiadom-allen-dunlap
dl-r. holmes-boxen-d. holmes-

-bryan to dean so hes 2014 now and he has been added to radar
-phillips and taylor added

Reaction Score

Incredible TD run after catch by Ervin Phillips (West Haven, CT/2014) against Bridgeport Central.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

Incredible TD run after catch by Ervin Phillips (West Haven, CT/2014) against Bridgeport Central.

starting to see more and more on him. is it just me or is ct stocked the next couple years? its just crazy. this year ct has 8 kids committed to bcs schools already with a 9th kid picking harvard over bcs schools already. i bet a couple more get looks/offers with the senior season just starting. next year we have a handful of rbs with big time looks already, just crazy.

Reaction Score
Harold Cooper lighting it up for Hillhouse versus Foran tonight. First half stat-

“@nhrJoeMorelli: Harold Cooper 14-yd td run as Hillhouse takes 7-0 lead less than 3 minutes in. #cthsfb”

“@nhrJoeMorelli: Harold Cooper 83-yd burst up middle untouched for.TD. 21-0 Hillhouse. #cthsfb”

“@nhrJoeMorelli: Harold Cooper two carries 97 yards two TDs for #Hillhouse. Not bad. 4:14 left first quarter. #cthsfb

34-0 in 3rd so I'm not sure we'll see Coop too much loner.

Reaction Score
Cooper has 3 carries, 131 yards, and 3TDs through 3Qs.

Reaction Score
Arkeel Newsome will lead Ansonia against Torrington tomorrow night at 7PM. You can watch a live stream of the game here:

Reaction Score
Cooper has 3 carries, 131 yards, and 3TDs through 3Qs.
Hillhouse's other RB/DB, Andre Anderson (2013) had 7 carries, 196 yards, and 2 TDs.
Hillhouse beats Foran 55-34

#3 Daniel Hand visits #7 Hillhouse next Friday @ Bowen Field, 4PM

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i am honestly just beside myself at the # of d1 running backs in ct for 2014. its just silly.

Reaction Score
Arkeel Newsome has 6 carries for 150 yards, 3 TDs. Matos has a 28 yard TD reception. Ansonia leads 28-6, 2:36 remaining 1Q.

Reaction Score
Newsome has 7 carries, 180 yards, 4 TDs. McKnight has a 53 yard TD run, as Ansonia leads 40-6, early 2Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom