Your prediction: when the realignment music where does UConn end up ? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Your prediction: when the realignment music where does UConn end up ?

Reaction Score
The only reason why it bothers me is that eventually we aren’t going to be able to hire quality coaches. And I don’t mean just for the money sports. I mean for the Olympic sports as well. Our facilities are great, so we are well positioned there, but eventually we will fall behind there as well. Look at Rutgers, it’s blowing through its big 10 money plus another $73M annually just trying to bring its facilities up to snuff. It just asked for another hundred million dollars from New Jersey taxpayers. This is an arms war end ultimately whomever has the best economic system, i.e. the best access to capital, is the party who wins in arms war.
Meh. UCONN has brilliant coaches even while being belted around during CR. Penders, Hurley, Auriemma, Mora, Cavanaugh, It's not like excellent coaches are going to disappear because only the stinkin' richest 40 programs or so can afford them. The dollar amounts will change but no matter how disparate they become, there will always be a pecking order and excellent coaches will be available.

"Look at Rutgers" BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!! that's rich, so to speak.

Reaction Score
What's your point. If you aren't in the P2, the only sensible course of action is to fold up shop? We already know the P2 is separating itself. So yeah, the rest can be competitive in whatever slop is thrown together here on out.
My point?

Only that, as has been the case for decades, you will have tier 1 and tier 2 schools and never the twain shall meet.

Reaction Score
Meh. UCONN has brilliant coaches even while being belted around during CR. Penders, Hurley, Auriemma, Mora, Cavanaugh, It's not like excellent coaches are going to disappear because only the stinkin' richest 40 programs or so can afford them. The dollar amounts will change but no matter how disparate they become, there will always be a pecking order and excellent coaches will be available.

It may have started already when the guy from Simsbury spurned UConn to go to Rutgers for basketball. Such a move would be unheard of just a year or two ago! I wonder how much they were able to pay him?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Yet, both Penders and Mora were considered for other positions. Eventually we won’t be able to put up competitive offers.

Reaction Score
Yet, both Penders and Mora were considered for other positions. Eventually we won’t be able to put up competitive offers.
Mora signed for about 1.5 million per year at UConn. For comparison BC coach makes 3 million- Fresno State coach 1.65 million

If Mora can win a few games and gets some fans in the stands it's money well spent.
Will he stay for more than 3 years? We shall see

Reaction Score
The burden for UConn to be able to move from the Big East to an all sport revamped ACC lite conference rests squarely on the shoulders of UConn football coach Jim Mora.

If Mora does not have UConn winning inside of 4 years then UConn will have a very tough time competing with programs that have substantially- substantially more money to fund their programs.

If Mora wets the bed at UConn as he did his final 3 seasons at UCLA then I can foresee the Trustees pulling the plug on FBS football as the financial gap between the P2 programs and the left over P 3- 6s grows larger.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
What's your point. If you aren't in the P2, the only sensible course of action is to fold up shop? We already know the P2 is separating itself. So yeah, the rest can be competitive in whatever slop is thrown together here on out.
How appealing.

Reaction Score
The separation of the P2 from the rest may be much wider than the P5-G5 differences.

Fans will still enjoy their home teams. But the differences in money and resources could be as different as the current FCS vs FBS.

Available time slots on national TV could be monopolized as ESPN/Fox/NBC (Notre Dame?) monetize their investment properties. Streaming games will be available for fans of non P2 teams.

I see that the ACC Commissioner is already touting (as if there was a choice) the unhooking of college athletics from the near professionalism of tier 1 football.

The Tobacco Road cabal is in thrall....a return to their basketball, soccer, and lacrosse world unsullied by the brutes of big time football.

And the GOR means that the conference will stay intact...but take a back seat in football to the P2. It is just cementing in place what already had occurred.

The GOR makes it like Hotel California....you can check out but you can not leave.

Reaction Score
It may have started already when the guy from Simsbury spurned UConn to go to Rutgers for basketball. Such a move would be unheard of just a year or two ago! I wonder how much they were able to pay him?
Maybe he wanted to play for the guy from Bristol. and what about the other guy from Bristol who chose UCONN?

Reaction Score
The burden for UConn to be able to move from the Big East to an all sport revamped ACC lite conference rests squarely on the shoulders of UConn football coach Jim Mora.

If Mora does not have UConn winning inside of 4 years then UConn will have a very tough time competing with programs that have substantially- substantially more money to fund their programs.

If Mora wets the bed at UConn as he did his final 3 seasons at UCLA then I can foresee the Trustees pulling the plug on FBS football as the financial gap between the P2 programs and the left over P 3- 6s grows larger.
Agreed. UCONN has an uphill battle just to get to MAC level competitiveness. But I look at it as, if you aint playing in the B1G or SEC, there may not be a big difference between playing in the ACC vs the MAC. We'll see.

Reaction Score
Professor Zimbalist: "“Their calculation basically is, we add a market, there are so many households in the market, that’s worth so much in television rights,” Zimbalist said. “On the other side, now we have to divide the existing money we have, which might diminish, amongst one more school. They look at those two tradeoffs, and I don’t expect that Connecticut is going to have options that are really attractive.”

Reaction Score
Professor Zimbalist: "“Their calculation basically is, we add a market, there are so many households in the market, that’s worth so much in television rights,” Zimbalist said. “On the other side, now we have to divide the existing money we have, which might diminish, amongst one more school. They look at those two tradeoffs, and I don’t expect that Connecticut is going to have options that are really attractive.”

I would think that UConn would bring as much value to the ACC as Wake, Cuse, BC and Pitt at least. Very disappointing article.

Reaction Score
There is hope in Storrs that a winning football team will quickly change the narrative and make UConn a far more appealing option. I tend to agree. It is hard to put a price tag on something you can’t see. If the Rent is rocking, our value proposition will be entirely different.

CBS is still a customer for UConn football. A good team will be worth more to them too.

Reaction Score
I would think that UConn would bring as much value to the ACC as Wake, Cuse, BC and Pitt at least. Very disappointing article.
I would not. They all have better football programs at the moment. Which doesn't mean that things can't change fairly rapidly.

Reaction Score

Anyone who can take Zimbalist serous has lost my respect. His agenda is quite clear

Reaction Score
Anyone who can take Zimbalist serous has lost my respect. His agenda is quite clear
I just put it out there for consideration. Amore is certainly respected and he seems to respect Zimbalist. So your comment is interesting. Care to elaborate?

Reaction Score
I just put it out there for consideration. Amore is certainly respected and he seems to respect Zimbalist. So your comment is interesting. Care to elaborate?
My beef with him is that he argues like you would expect a left wing professor to. There are no simple solutions for a city like Hartford which definitely needs businesses to help fill all the apartments they are building I can’t argue with the position taxpayers should not fund arenas/stadiums but he takes the position a major league team brings no economic value to a city like Hartford

Yes, restaurants and bars are not high paying jobs, but I remember the days of going to Whaler games and the bars were packed. The cities need entertainment and the “the Hartford Stage” will not be enough to attract young professionals

Does he really think Hartford would have funded these services if the Dunk was not built. Asylum Ave has had the man hole issue since well before the Dunk. Hartford spends more per student than West Hartford. Throwing more money is not the solution

Reaction Score
My beef with him is that he argues like you would expect a left wing professor to. There are no simple solutions for a city like Hartford which definitely needs businesses to help fill all the apartments they are building I can’t argue with the position taxpayers should not fund arenas/stadiums but he takes the position a major league team brings no economic value to a city like Hartford

Yes, restaurants and bars are not high paying jobs, but I remember the days of going to Whaler games and the bars were packed. The cities need entertainment and the “the Hartford Stage” will not be enough to attract young professionals

Does he really think Hartford would have funded these services if the Dunk was not built. Asylum Ave has had the man hole issue since well before the Dunk. Hartford spends more per student than West Hartford. Throwing more money is not the solution
This place is being built so how is that not encouraging to zimbalist

edit-i just his opinion was from 3 years ago.

Reaction Score

I understand your points. But on the per pupil cost, Hartford has to pay far more than the burbs to teach in that environment. A decade or so ago my son took a year off to apply to grad schools in his field and student taught to keep some income flowing in. The difference in job satisfaction as a function of geographic location was huge, he found. There were lots of schools he decided not to go back to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom