Your prediction: when the realignment music where does UConn end up ? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Your prediction: when the realignment music where does UConn end up ?

Reaction Score
A couple of questions which one or more of the media savvy posters may know:

1. How does TV viewership for the Big East compare to the ACC, B1G, SEC, and other major men's basketball conferences ?

2. Is there any gauge to see what Big East teams attract the most TV viewers ?

3. When the Big East contract is up for renewal in 2025 is there any educated guess whether a deal will be reached with FoxSports, or would the Big East open negotiations with ESPN as well ?

4. My understanding is that Fox as a then start up may have intentionally overpaid at the start of the media contract in order to get broadcast inventory and that Fox told the Big East that the offer was pulled if the Big East shopped the deal to ESPN. Is this true ?

5. Does anyone have an educated guess whether the $4M per year should be expected to substantially increase on renewal ?

6. I understand that when UConn's was admitted to the Big East that its admission was with the prior approval of FoxSports and that the payment to the Big East increased to cover UConn's share. Is that correct ?

Thanks for your any and all replies.

Reaction Score
I think we will remain in the Big East (where we can compete financially in basketball with other power conferences regarding basketball budget) and independent in football. I'm hoping the AAC gets hit hard enough that Temple goes to the A-10 and goes independent with Navy in football. Big win for us. It would mean two more annual respectable football opponents.
Ya uconn, umass Army, navy and temple would be nice

Reaction Score
A couple of questions which one or more of the media savvy posters may know:

1. How does TV viewership for the Big East compare to the ACC, B1G, SEC, and other major men's basketball conferences ?

2. Is there any gauge to see what Big East teams attract the most TV viewers ?

3. When the Big East contract is up for renewal in 2025 is there any educated guess whether a deal will be reached with FoxSports, or would the Big East open negotiations with ESPN as well ?

4. My understanding is that Fox as a then start up may have intentionally overpaid at the start of the media contract in order to get broadcast inventory and that Fox told the Big East that the offer was pulled if the Big East shopped the deal to ESPN. Is this true ?

5. Does anyone have an educated guess whether the $4M per year should be expected to substantially increase on renewal ?

6. I understand that when UConn's was admitted to the Big East that its admission was with the prior approval of FoxSports and that the payment to the Big East increased to cover UConn's share. Is that correct ?

Thanks for your any and all replies.
Basketball draws a fraction of football unfortunately. Fox perhaps overpaid but with rising value of live sports programing I'd expect the Big East will get at least a decent sized bump. I don't see ESPN being in the bidding. They already have the ACC, Big 12, and AAC tv rights which eats up a majority of their available schedule. Now if the Big East agreed to a deal that also included ESPN+ then I think ESPN would be willing to bid. I just don't see the Big East being interested in that.

Reaction Score
Football

The biggest revenue producer among college sports is no surprise: It’s football. College football brings in an average of $31.9 million per school per year, financial website Zacks.com reported. That’s an eye-popping number, but it’s even more impressive when you see that number is more than the next 35 college sports combined.

A large portion of that revenue comes from TV deals. ESPN’s deal to broadcast the College Football Playoff is worth roughly $470 million annually, and the Power 5 conference TV contracts each bring in at least $200 million a year, according to On3.com.

The top-revenue producing schools for football won’t surprise you, either. Texas tops the list at $144 million, followed by national champion Georgia ($134 million), Michigan ($126 million), Ohio State ($116 million) and Alabama ($110 million).

Basketball

The No. 2 revenue-producing sport for college is basketball, which brings $8.1 million per school. The bulk of revenue for basketball comes from CBS Sports’ deal to broadcast the NCAA Tournament, which is worth $1.1 billion per year.

Louisville brought in $42 million to lead all schools in basketball revenue, followed by Duke ($37 million), Kentucky ($30 million), North Carolina ($27 million), and Indiana ($26 million).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Now if the Big East agreed to a deal that also included ESPN+ then I think ESPN would be willing to bid. I just don't see the Big East being interested in that.
Yeah, they would be if the money is right. We're in the middle of a huge paradeigm shift. The Netflix guy says that linear TV will be obsolete in 10 years. Everyone will be streaming.

Reaction Score
I think we will remain in the Big East (where we can compete financially in basketball with other power conferences regarding basketball budget) and independent in football. I'm hoping the AAC gets hit hard enough that Temple goes to the A-10 and goes independent with Navy in football. Big win for us. It would mean two more annual respectable football opponents.
A prolonged stay in the Big East will be a financial disaster. In another post, it has been shown how much other schools are pulling in in basketball alone. Louisville, for example, created 42 million for basketball only. How can you compare UConn's 4 million to that?

Reaction Score
I don't think UL is a good benchmark. They've been caught up in scandal with their arena deal and other issues for years. We are never getting a deal like they have, nor is anyone else. Of course, we'd like to be closer to UK, Duke and UNC in terms of revenue, but this is mostly accounting stuff. We don't have any accurate way to compare our actual revenue to theirs because of our deals with the XL Center etc. Part of UConn's strategy in all of this should always have been to pretty up the books like the others have done, but once again, we have to do things the CT way.....for better or worse. Until someone at the very top of the hierarchy (president, board, governor) decides to play these games to win, we aren't going to be putting our best foot forward. The devil is in the details over and over again.

Reaction Score
UL brings in a lot of money, and spends it....if you use NET, basketball is top at their school...

Reaction Score
A prolonged stay in the Big East will be a financial disaster. In another post, it has been shown how much other schools are pulling in in basketball alone. Louisville, for example, created 42 million for basketball only. How can you compare UConn's 4 million to that?
But Louisville is getting only about $11 million from the ACC for hoops and all other non-football sports. Louisville is creating the rest of that basketball revenue on their own. We must do the same. To begin with, Louisville fills a 22,000+ seat arena for every home game.

Reaction Score
But Louisville is getting only about $11 million from the ACC for hoops and all other non-football sports. Louisville is creating the rest of that basketball revenue on their own. We must do the same. To begin with, Louisville fills a 22,000+ seat arena for every home game.
11 million beats 4 million

Reaction Score
11 million beats 4 million
They collect all the revenue from an arena they didn’t pay for. UL is run by the mob. Not a model for others to follow.

Reaction Score
A prolonged stay in the Big East will be a financial disaster.....
....... a financial disaster will result if UConn does not become a P2 school and attempts to financially support a P2 style FBS football program.

Reaction Score
11 million beats 5 million, and that doesn't include what they (Louisville) get from football in the ACC. You are dreaming if you think basketball will continue to be competitive for long in the Big East. Recruiting will be very difficult against P2 or P4 for that matter.

Reaction Score
I believe he is referring to the Big East media payout. I thought it was closer to $5M not $4M.
You’re right. It’s $5 million. And that’s just the payout from Fox. He’s comparing apples and oranges. The $11 mill from the ACC includes payouts from all sports, which would include payouts from all basketball revenue from all sources, such as NCAA tournament units, etc. Those are not included in the $5 mill from Fox. For example, in 2020 each BE team received between $4.4 and $5.2 million from NCAA tournament units alone. Add that money onto the Fox dollars, and we now have close to $10 million per year. With additional revenue from other sources, BE per team earnings are comparable to what ACC teams earn exclusive of football.

Reaction Score
angels and oranges...ACC teams get $ 6 million from tourney unit distributions...plus appoximately $ 7.2 million from non football ESPN money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom