Your prediction: when the realignment music where does UConn end up ? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Your prediction: when the realignment music where does UConn end up ?

Reaction Score
My beef with him is that he argues like you would expect a left wing professor to. There are no simple solutions for a city like Hartford which definitely needs businesses to help fill all the apartments they are building I can’t argue with the position taxpayers should not fund arenas/stadiums but he takes the position a major league team brings no economic value to a city like Hartford

Yes, restaurants and bars are not high paying jobs, but I remember the days of going to Whaler games and the bars were packed. The cities need entertainment and the “the Hartford Stage” will not be enough to attract young professionals

Does he really think Hartford would have funded these services if the Dunk was not built. Asylum Ave has had the man hole issue since well before the Dunk. Hartford spends more per student than West Hartford. Throwing more money is not the solution

Worcester also went and built Polar Park which it seems is doing quite well. Not many people agree with him.

Reaction Score
My beef with him is that he argues like you would expect a left wing professor to. There are no simple solutions for a city like Hartford which definitely needs businesses to help fill all the apartments they are building I can’t argue with the position taxpayers should not fund arenas/stadiums but he takes the position a major league team brings no economic value to a city like Hartford

Yes, restaurants and bars are not high paying jobs, but I remember the days of going to Whaler games and the bars were packed. The cities need entertainment and the “the Hartford Stage” will not be enough to attract young professionals

Does he really think Hartford would have funded these services if the Dunk was not built. Asylum Ave has had the man hole issue since well before the Dunk. Hartford spends more per student than West Hartford. Throwing more money is not the solution
If a stadium is privately funded and given no tax breaks, then it is true that it is an economic positive to the area just from the increase in tax revenue.

The issue with publicly subsidized stadiums, and which has been proven time and time again in economic papers, is that the economic benefit barely if ever meets the numbers initially quoted. In fact, a major league sports arena brings about the same amount of economic activity than a medium sized mall, which is much cheaper to build and often without subsidies.

Yes, areas around a stadium are often very active during a game or afterwards. The issue is that activity would still happen if instead of a stadium you built housing or a transit station, something which brings a lot more public value.

Reaction Score
The other thing we should be mindful of is to just stick to the facts of the case. Labeling an analyst left wing is not really helpful aside from pointing out the bias of the person who does that

In stadium finance the problem has always been how to value the enhanced perception of the city that will draw people from the burbs in to spend money and make it a vibrant place. As a strictly business case for public finance they almost never make sense (JMHO). The question is, how much are you willing to invest to make the city vibrant?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The other thing we should be mindful of is to just stick to the facts of the case. Labeling an analyst left wing is not really helpful aside from pointing out the bias of the person who does that

In stadium finance the problem has always been how to value the enhanced perception of the city that will draw people from the burbs in to spend money and make it a vibrant place. As a strictly business case for public finance they almost never make sense (JMHO). The question is, how much are you willing to invest to make the city vibrant?
The problem is valuing what “vibrancy“ is worth. Typically in any studies on municipally funded sports arenas the alleged multiplier effect is referenced but not quantified.

Reaction Score
The problem is valuing what “vibrancy“ is worth. Typically in any studies on municipally funded sports arenas the alleged multiplier effect is referenced but not quantified.
Yup. And that is where the arguments revolve around. That issue

Funny, though, I would not call Hartford vibrant in the sense that most people understand the word. It's got some nice restaurants and the Dunk and the and the XFINITY Meadows in the summer. But it doesn't pulse. By contrast, Providence pulses. But not due to any stadium.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yup. And that is where the arguments revolve around. That issue

Funny, though, I would not call Hartford vibrant in the sense that most people understand the word. It's got some nice restaurants and the Dunk and the and the XFINITY Meadows in the summer. But it doesn't pulse. By contrast, Providence pulses. But not due to any stadium.
Back when I was at Yukon it was exactly the opposite. Hartford had a little bit of a vibe downtown and was fun to go to. Providence, not so much. I think that has flipped now.

Reaction Score
Back when I was at UConn it was exactly the opposite. Hartford had a little bit of a vibe downtown and was fun to go to. Providence, not so much. I think that has flipped now.
We lost a lot when the Whalers left. But when UConn wins it's first Frozen Four, which it will do, watch what happens. They will need the XL for half their home games.

CL82

Reaction Score
We lost a lot when the Whalers left. But when UConn wins it's first Frozen Four, which it will do, watch what happens. They will need the XL for half their home games.
I hope not. We need to be using our new venue. Hartford is a great location for the big hockey east games though.

Reaction Score
I hope not. We need to be using our new venue. Hartford is a great location for the big hockey east games though.
Yeah, that is what I meant. Plus high profile OOC teams. It won't be too long before UConn starts pulling them in too.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If UConn was ever going to get a break, I think it will be in the next 2-3 years. The streaming services are going to be very hungry for content, especially as they try to add advertising to their revenue. Live sports are one of the few content segments that supports advertising. I think there is going to be a push by the streaming services to lock up as much live sports content as possible.

Reaction Score
Most research in the area suggests new arenas/stadiums are not the tide that lifts all boats. Brookings did a nice study on this year's ago.
Just from personal experience, the Yard Goats are one of the few reasons we venture into Hartford anymore. Many social groups plan events and attend Yard Goats games, especially organizations for kids. Affordable, easy to get to, and family fun. It's hard to quantify the total economic impact that the park has had and will continue to have on the area but it is certainly lifting many boats.

Reaction Score
I listen to tons of podcasts on this and read as much as I can get my hands on. UConn isn’t anywhere in the conversation for the Big 2, ACC or otherwise. Hopefully football improves and maybe that changes, but it might be too little too late.

Until then my expectations are low low low. Basketball doesn’t matter one Iota.

Reaction Score
Just from personal experience, the Yard Goats are one of the few reasons we venture into Hartford anymore. Many social groups plan events and attend Yard Goats games, especially organizations for kids. Affordable, easy to get to, and family fun. It's hard to quantify the total economic impact that the park has had and will continue to have on the area but it is certainly lifting many boats.
Exactly. I was very opposed to spending state money on something like the Dunk. The state had deficits at the time. But I was wrong. However you do the accounting there is that intangible that comes from pulling all those folks in from the burbs.

Reaction Score
It is a great place for folks to gather, but does that business spill over to over businesses downtown? I am doubtful, but would be happy to be wrong. If it spills over, does it do so at a rate that justifies the public money spent to make it happen?

Reaction Score
I listen to tons of podcasts on this and read as much as I can get my hands on. UConn isn’t anywhere in the conversation for the Big 2, ACC or otherwise. Hopefully football improves and maybe that changes, but it might be too little too late.

Until then my expectations are low low low. Basketball doesn’t matter one Iota.
Not many programs are in the discussion for the Big 2 so that doesn't affect my expectations. I haven't heard much about the ACC and its intentions on adding to the conference. My expectations are high because I think being independent is fine for now, heck it may even be an advantage depending on how everything else shakes out.

Reaction Score
It is a great place for folks to gather, but does that business spill over to over businesses downtown? I am doubtful, but would be happy to be wrong. If it spills over, does it do so at a rate that justifies the public money spent to make it happen?
I am sure it does. It would be impossible for something this successful to not benefit the surrounding area.

"#BREAKING For the fourth time and the second year in a ROW Dunkin' Donuts Park has been named The Best MiLB AA Ballpark by Ballpark Digest. We are the first MiLB team to win Best Ballpark four times! Thank you to our fans that make us so great, we love ya "

1658928378301.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It does. And look what happened to Hartford when the Whalers left. Whaler crowds came early and stayed late.

Reaction Score
If the SEC and the Big Ten are getting a media rights distribution of $100 million a year and we are getting a distribution of $4 million a year, we do not have stability for the athletic department.

Now, ideally, I’d like to get $100 million a year, but I don’t see any path for that to happen. So, I’d like to join the best of the rest table so we are making approximately $40 million a year from our media rights. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not enough, but at least it keeps us in the conversation of the best of the rest.
If a school focuses on basketball, it doesn’t need $100 million a year. A football program is very expensive to run and gobbles up lots of the money it generates.

Why do we need football? It’s a stupid sport which is antithetical to the mission of a university. The mission is to develop students’ brains; football destroys students’ brains. If an adult wants to go out and bash his brains out, that’s his choice. But for a school to sponsor such an activity makes absolutely no sense.

CL82

Reaction Score
If a school focuses on basketball, it doesn’t need $100 million a year. A football program is very expensive to run and gobbles up lots of the money it generates.

Why do we need football? It’s a stupid sport which is antithetical to the mission of a university. The mission is to develop students’ brains; football destroys students’ brains. If an adult wants to go out and bash his brains out, that’s his choice. But for a school to sponsor such an activity makes absolutely no sense.

Isn’t your argument against football equally valid against any athletic endeavor sponsored by the school? So if you’re going to be internally consistent shouldn’t you also be advocating about eliminating basketball?

Football is where the money is in college sports. Yes, the sport is expensive. But it also funds the continuing escalation in facilities and salaries for all sports. If we put our heads in the sand and pretend that that isn’t happening, we won’t be able to recruit and keep top quality athletes in basketball in our Olympic sports, we won’t be able to recruit and keep top coaching talent in basketball and Olympic sports, and we won’t be able to keep up with what is the norm for facilities in basketball an Olympic sports. Michigan just tried to hire away our baseball coach who is Husky Pedegree is about as National flag blue as you can get.

I doubt it’s possible for us to get into the “P2“, but it’s very possible that we might rejoin a “P5“ conference with the ACC being the most likely.

Reaction Score

almost all of the academically prominent public universities have FBS football teams.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think we will remain in the Big East (where we can compete financially in basketball with other power conferences regarding basketball budget) and independent in football. I'm hoping the AAC gets hit hard enough that Temple goes to the A-10 and goes independent with Navy in football. Big win for us. It would mean two more annual respectable football opponents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom