WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 24 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
just don't see how the NY team will gel, too many players that need the ball. Ionescu had a horrible game.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Laney needs to figure it out too, imo. She was really good on Friday (carrying them on offense when no one else could score), but I didn't like her shot selection today [she tried to create too much 1-on-1].

She is by far NY's best perimeter defender, and frequently guards the other team's best player [though they had her more on Mabrey than Copper this game]. I believe at end of the game in Chicago, Brondello had both Laney and Thornton on court together, and with Stewart in the post, that's a very good defensive unit. But NY is definitely still looking for their identity.
And it's a 40-game season, so Brondello has games to figure it out. Chicago/LV present challenges that not all teams have: three very aggressive guards, all of whom can take it to the basket effectively. The good news for the Liberty is they have the resources to mix and match, while Wade keeps losing parts of his equation. (Gardner being the latest).

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I'd say the only players on NYL playing close to their potential right now are Stewart, Vandersloot, and, to a degree, Thornton (and maybe Sabally, who I've been super impressed with in her limited time). That leaves a lot of upside if Jonquel, Ionescu, Laney, Johannes can improve as a unit.

Reaction Score
Laney needs to figure it out too, imo. She was really good on Friday (carrying them on offense when no one else could score), but I didn't like her shot selection today [she tried to create too much 1-on-1].

She is by far NY's best perimeter defender, and frequently guards the other team's best player [though they had her more on Mabrey than Copper this game]. I believe at end of the game in Chicago, Brondello had both Laney and Thornton on court together, and with Stewart in the post, that's a very good defensive unit. But NY is definitely still looking for their identity.
A few issues for me with the liberty so far.

1. They have some players on their team who have historically only played on losing squads. Ionescu, Laney, and MJ. It feels like sometimes they don’t understand the value of an important possession, especially displayed through their shot selection. It’s like some players don’t know to get the right shot or the right shot to the right person. When up by 19, the whole team seemed to shift to the mindset of this is the moment to get “mine.” When a mini run happens, getting a basket or two straight basket goes a long way for momentum.

2. The team as a whole is far too perimeter shot oriented. Part of this is due to Jones limited minutes. But another aspect is Stewart’s game expanding to me more mid range to the perimeter. She’s far and away the best player in the league, so it’s no fault to her really. But with Jones only playing 20 min, they don’t have much interior presence except on cuts or drives.

3. Lack of foot speed. Vandersloot and Ionescu are both rather slow. That got exploited by Chicago, and will get exploited by Vegas.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She was also really, really good with the USA National team at the World Cup last fall. Barring injury, I'd think she's a lock for the Olympics.
And I think you need to watch her in person to appreciate her total contribution. Imagine how good she'd be if she had healthy shoulders.

Reaction Score
I am a big fan of Lyss (she plays hard, she works relentlessly to improve her craft, makes good decisions as to when to shoot, pass, or drive, etc.), but she misses too many makeable shots. You're not going to make all of your bunnies and open short jumpers, but her % on those needs to rise.
Very poor decision making over the last two and a half minutes. Emphasizes that most young players really do struggle. She looked like a rookie at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
And it's a 40-game season, so Brondello has games to figure it out. Chicago/LV present challenges that not all teams have: three very aggressive guards, all of whom can take it to the basket effectively. The good news for the Liberty is they have the resources to mix and match, while Wade keeps losing parts of his equation. (Gardner being the latest).
Now it's Anigwe
A few issues for me with the liberty so far.

1. They have some players on their team who have historically only played on losing squads. Ionescu, Laney, and MJ. It feels like sometimes they don’t understand the value of an important possession, especially displayed through their shot selection. It’s like some players don’t know to get the right shot or the right shot to the right person. When up by 19, the whole team seemed to shift to the mindset of this is the moment to get “mine.” When a mini run happens, getting a basket or two straight basket goes a long way for momentum.

2. The team as a whole is far too perimeter shot oriented. Part of this is due to Jones limited minutes. But another aspect is Stewart’s game expanding to me more mid range to the perimeter. She’s far and away the best player in the league, so it’s no fault to her really. But with Jones only playing 20 min, they don’t have much interior presence except on cuts or drives.

3. Lack of foot speed. Vandersloot and Ionescu are both rather slow. That got exploited by Chicago, and will get exploited by Vegas.
I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever in calling her the best player in the league, but I just don't think 2023 Stewie is "far and away" better than 2023 A'ja.
In today's episode of if the WNBA was covered like the NBA on first take:

Stephen A Smith: Long frustrated pause..... I'm just looking at the box score.. and Ms. Sabrina... shot 2 of 9 from the field. 4 POINTS!!!?!!??!? I tuned into the game cuz this was supposed to be a part of ... What you call it "A revenge tour"!?!. The Chicago Sky sent you home last year.. Then you say prior to the game.. u getting revenge and u drop 4 points. I know Sabrinnnna can playyyyy. But this is unacceptable.

Molly: but what about the play of Chicago

Stephen A: Listen listen.. Chicago can play. I don't know why everyone is sleeping on them...Kahleah Cooper.. Copper.. I love watching that sista play.. she is truly special. 10-17 from the floor. Five threes. 27 points in total. She's a problem.

BUT.... New York gotta figure some things out. U can't be blowing leads at home. Who do they think they are, the Knicks...

Jk.
This is so good. All the subtle details. I'm kinda listening to this with Frank Caliendo doing a Stephen A impersonation.

Reaction Score
Happy she gets another shot in the ATL, but does the Dream media team not have photoshop? That jersey... SMH...

I hear you. Maybe it's because she doesn't have a new number because she hasn't arrived on site??? Just hedging a guess.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Now it's Anigwe.

"Temporary Suspension." Just like Big T. Are both of them playing in the European Championships? Do you know, @Tangential ?
Not that she played a lot for James Wade, but there are not a lot of players on that Sky bench, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Now it's Anigwe.

"Temporary Suspension." Just like Big T. Are both of them playing in the European Championships? Do you know, @Tangential ?
Not that she played a lot for James Wade, but there are not a lot of players on that Sky bench, that's for sure.
She was giving them a high energy 10 min/game and like you said they have a depleted frontcourt bench with Harrison and Bertsch still out, E Williams & A Smith might slightly regress to their mean, and Koné is very raw at this point. Anigwe definitely is playing in the EC ... Wade keeps on finding replacement players -- like the Miami Heat of the WNBA.

Not sure about McCowan -- anybody???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She was giving them a high energy 10 min/game and like you said they have a depleted frontcourt bench with Harrison and Bertsch still out, E Williams & A Smith might slightly regress to their mean, and Koné is very raw at this point. Anigwe definitely is playing in the EC ... Wade keeps on finding replacement players -- like the Miami Heat of the WNBA.

Not sure about McCowan -- anybody???

McCowan has a commitment for the Turkish national team per the commentators from yesterday's game versus Connecticut. I thought she was injured, so who knows?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

Sad Monsters Inc GIF by filmeditor

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Karlie is averaging 23 minutes/10 points/game; shooting 51/59/92.

On what planet does this make sense?
My understanding is that a player on a hardship contract must be released once the player who was out returns. I believe both Azura and Thomas are both due back very soon, probably this week. Although, I was at the Sparks game on Saturday night and Stevens was sitting on a cushion on her seat all game. Perhaps just to keep her comfortable.
Hopefully Karlie is signed very soon.
New York Lol GIF by Lifetime

Reaction Score
Karlie is averaging 23 minutes/10 points/game; shooting 51/59/92.

On what planet does this make sense?
None. Joyner Holmes is playing better than she did in NY & CT., but c'mon Curt. I suppose that they thought Stevens and Hamby were also finesse frontcourt players with outside touch and wanted to keep a bigger body. Indy & LA really show that coaches are extremely loyal to players that played for their former team. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Nevermind, thanks for the clarification @ochoopsfan. I temporarily forgot.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
You couldn't mean the player who's curently ranked 11th in the WNBA in PPP?!? I guess that means Azurá is healthy. Somebody (maybe Chicago) better acquire her very soon.
That's precisely -- per our earlier conversation -- who I was thinking of, with Gardner out for who knows how long. Karlie is a great distributor (master of the "hockey assist") and sees the big picture. Maybe she could join her fellow Farm alum, Alanna Smith, making our own @TheFarmFan happy. You know, I could see her working well with Mabrey on the perimeter, as well.

Reaction Score
I am updating the 50-40-90 stats for games completed thru Sunday 6/4/23
I wont be doing this every week, just to show a week to week comparison,

Ivana Dojkic/SEA-- 66.7%--50%--100%-------note she has not played since game 2.
Lexie Brown/LAS--50.9%--41.9%--100%
Yvonne Turner/SEA--66.7%--50%--100%
Karlie Samuelson/LAS--56%--58.8%--91.7%
Elena Delle Donne/WAS--50%--52.6%--91.3%

Those on the first list, who dropped off, are now at
Chelsea Gray/LVA--48.5%--45%--100%
Milic/MIN--46.7%--50%--100%
Nneka Ogwumike/LAS--56%--25%--93%
S. Sabally/DAL--46.8%--37.1%--91.4%
To see Karlie Samuelson playing well only to hear that the LA Sparks have waived her, just kicks the wind out of me.

Reaction Score
just don't see how the NY team will gel, too many players that need the ball. Ionescu had a horrible game.
In the case of the Liberty, I just think they need to have a players only meeting, if they haven't already, to figure out and define their roles on the team. Watching the Liberty, with their talent level, just reminds me of the Heatles (Lebron, D-Wade, Bosh, & Ray Allen) in their first year together. The one where (if you follow the NBA) LeBron James thought, like we all did, that the Heat would win not one, not two, not three, but multiple titles. The Liberty are in that similar situation. They need to figure out their roles on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom