WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 22 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Stewie for the win

ESPN, on early morning SportsCenter, reported that's Stewie's first game winner with less than 10 seconds remaining ever (I presume in pro's). Williams played pretty good defense on that (I watched the last quarter), but Stewie is just Stewie. Sloot and Stewie executed a perfect pick and roll just before that, during which Marina Mabrey was shaking her head about; probably having seen it in Europe in the semi-finals.

Chicago seems to ride Mabrey, Copper and Williams hot streaks at differing points in the game. Next step, IMHO, is to mesh a bit better and work together to get the best (better) approach in crunch time, both on offense and defense. Wade's a good coach, I'm sure he'll get them there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Lynx don't look terrible, but their guard play may be. They are the worst team in the league, at 0-6. Coach Reeve, over her Lynx career, is 2 games under .500 without Maya on the roster and 128 games over .500 with Maya. They need more talent, especially at the guard spot.
I appreciate the positive spin. We got the talent. We just don't have that shot making talent. Or that good shot selection decision makers out there. That is just a whole team problem. Talent helps, you are right about that. Seimone Augustus ain't walking through that door. Or Maya Moore. Or a Lindsay Whalen. Or Taj McWilliams-Franklin. We had a squad! Coach Reeve and her staff will have to figure something out or maybe they have ;):)

Reaction Score
ESPN, on early morning SportsCenter, reported that's Stewie's first game winner with less than 10 seconds remaining ever (I presume in pro's). Williams played pretty good defense on that (I watched the last quarter), but Stewie is just Stewie. Sloot and Stewie executed a perfect pick and roll just before that, during which Marina Mabrey was shaking her head about; probably having seen it in Europe in the semi-finals.

Chicago seems to ride Mabrey, Copper and Williams hot streaks at differing points in the game. Next step, IMHO, is to mesh a bit better and work together to get the best (better) approach in crunch time, both on offense and defense. Wade's a good coach, I'm sure he'll get them there.

I don’t remember Stewie ever with a game winner in college.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score

Update:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

Alanna Smith has been a huge surprise this year, and was on fire last night. Easily an early top candidate for most improved. Was glad Copper could play in second half but she definitely didn't seem the same after Laney stepped on her ankle. Elizabeth Williams played great defense on Stewart on that last shot, but Stewart is Stewart.

This Sky team is gritty--two of their 3 losses are by a combined 3 points where you had late game winners by two of the best shot makers in the WNBA (EDD and Stewart). Hopefully they can get healthy soon too.

Reaction Score
The player for whom I was most impressed relative to my expectations, was Lexie Brown. Her shot was so pure in the 1st half that it was barely moving the net and she had a few really nice pick and roll dimes (threaded needle on the bounce and the lob numerous times) and would have had even more but Chiney (who played well) and Dearica (who made some nice passes of her own) missed a few bunnies. She also looked better defensively than I have seen throughout her career. Canada looked great on D, but is still inconsistent on O.
Last night, Lexie topped that game by a good margin. The hesitation move before the drive to the bucket that knotted the score late in regulation, and draining the dagger contested 3 late in OT from well behind the line, were things of beauty.

Nneka is looking like herself, and even after players like Stevens return, Karlie has earned not only a roster spot, but to be part of the rotation for her increasing number of ways that she positively influences a game as their only true "3."

With Alanna's performance and Haley (part of the unanswered combination to my trivia question) looking more comfortable, Cardinal stock is on a major uptrend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Both of the first 2 games tonight were 1-pointers. Then Vegas won by a small margin for them (5).
Very true, but so far nobody from the bottom 8 has defeated a team from the top 4. If Dallas had a healthy DeShields & Big T and Chicago had a healthy Harrison, Gardner, Bertsch (LA with Stevens & J Thomas???), they could be right there.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Very true, but so far nobody from the bottom 8 has defeated a team from the top 4. If Dallas had a healthy DeShields & Big T and Chicago had a healthy Harrison, Gardner, Bertsch (LA with Stevens & J Thomas???), they could be right there.
Points all well taken, but Bertsch's injury has led to time and chances for Smith. If and when Bertsch returns, Chicago can throw two forwards at the situation, depending on what's needed. I think Chicago's still "gellin'," made more difficult by the injuries, to say the least.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Lynx really had me on the edge of my seat. The Mystics made a great comeback last night and almost did it again tonight.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Is Loyd gonna lead the league in scoring playing for the worst team? It could happen. I think she was at 26 ppg before tonight, and she dropped 37 on the Sparks in a losing effort. Storm are the only team without a win thus far.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
My Lynx got their first win of the year!! Dorka getting minutes and being very skilled in those minutes. Ball screens, rebounding, throwing some nice dimes. Great win, Minnesota!!

Only saw the last quarter of this one, but I can certainly agree with @Bigboote -- had me on edge of seat!
Lynx got solid contributions from their front line - Dorka, 'Phee and Jess Shepard (particularly late) -- but the key for them was Kayla McBride had a game. K-Mac, too, played in the European Championships and missed a few games for personal reasons and hadn't really had a K-Mac game until now. When she does, it opens things up for everyone else.

On the Mystics side, Della Donne and Cloud were slightly off in shooting percentage, but whew, what a game.
Also noticed Myisha Hines-Allen played a bit. When she revs up, she'll help the team even more.

Here's a summary on the game with box score easily found:

Reaction Score
Is Loyd gonna lead the league in scoring playing for the worst team? It could happen. I think she was at 26 ppg before tonight, and she dropped 37 on the Sparks in a losing effort. Storm are the only team without a win thus far.
Yes.

We have been mentioning Stewie, A'ja, AT, & Jackie for coming out of the gate with all-around super strong starts for obvious reasons. 3 others worth noting are: BG (team is struggling), Nneka, & Satou Sabally (most surprising on the list & although I generally hate to bring up awards this early in the season, if she maintains anywhere close to her current production, she walks away with MIP). 21.4 ppg, 10 rpg, 4 apg, 1.8 spg, .4 bpg, 47/38/92 fg/3/ft %

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lexie Brown is doing great this year. Starting all 5 games and 2nd in scoring on the team.

Anyone know what happened to allow this improvement?
Her career hit a personal (individual stats) low mark in 2021, which ironically culminated in a championship ring with Chicago. However, she was waived by MN, waived & released by the Sky, and basically only played garbage time with Dana & Ruthy that year.

Prior to the 2022 season, she was traded to LA. A less talented team provided her more opportunity. She has also honed her skills significantly by playing with Athletes Unlimited, which she is one of their biggest advocates. She has put in so much work the last 2 years. This year, with no Sykes, Carter, and Toliver (& no KLS from an outside shooting perspective), there is even more reliance on her ability to pick up the scoring slack and available PT as a guard. The new head coach (Miller) has done a terrific job instilling confidence and designing plays for her that enable her to maximize her ability. The confidence from hitting 3s (and the defensive attention of closely guarding her beyond the arc) has opened up her dribble drive game (check out her incredible move down low vs. BG as well as the hesitation move to tie that game late).

I don't think she is a viable candidate for MIP (so far) because her rpg, apg, spg, & bpg have not had appreciable increases similar to Satou.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Her career hit a personal low mark in 2021, which ironically culminated in a championship ring with Chicago. However, she was waived by MN, waived & released by the Sky, and basically only played garbage time with Dana & Ruthy that year.

Prior to the 2022 season, she was traded to LA. A less talented team provided her more opportunity. She has also honed her skills significantly by playing with Athletes Unlimited, which she is one of their biggest advocates. She has put in so much work the last 2 years. This year, with no Sykes, Carter, and Toliver (& no KLS from an outside shooting perspective), there is even more reliance on her ability to pick up the scoring slack and available PT as a guard. The new head coach (Miller) has done a terrific job instilling confidence and designing plays for her that enable her to maximize her ability. The confidence from hitting 3s (and the defensive attention of closely guarding her beyond the arc) has opened up her dribble drive game (check out her incredible move down low vs. BG as well as the hesitation move to tie that game late).

I don't think she is a viable candidate for MIP (so far) because her rpg, apg, spg, & bpg have not had appreciable increases similar to Satou.
Lexie Brown 2022 vs 2023

BY YEARTEAMGPMINPTSFGMFGAFG%3PM3PA3P%FTMFTAFT%OREBDREBREBASTTOVSTLBLKPFFPDD2TD3+/-
2023LAS530.014.45.410.650.92.66.241.91.01.01000.42.22.62.41.01.20.21.024.800-1.2
2022LAS3425.07.12.76.244.11.63.939.80.10.266.70.22.12.32.10.81.00.21.315.500-3.6

Satou Sabally 2022 vs 2023

BY YEARTEAMGPMINPTSFGMFGAFG%3PM3PA3P%FTMFTAFT%OREBDREBREBASTTOVSTLBLKPFFPDD2TD3+/-
2023DAL533.521.47.215.446.82.25.837.94.85.292.32.67.410.04.02.61.80.43.842.0305.4
2022DAL1121.711.33.79.439.80.93.923.32.93.291.40.84.04.82.12.30.50.23.220.420-0.2

Reaction Score
The Mystics' bench was collectively a -50 last night, each one of them -10 or worse. This is the team that waived Emily Engstler.
Was there ever any insight as to why Indiana waived her so early? Because that made no sense either, even though I think she would have been a much better fit in Washington.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's great seeing Johannes back on the floor. NY is so star studded she's well down the list of their most important players, but she just has so much flair. I think she's probably their most entertaining player to watch. Don't take your eyes off her, you never know what she'll do.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
JJ was completely M.I.A. in the 2nd half...again. Stewie had 6 straight late in Q4, but otherwise she also pretty much took the 2nd half off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom