WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 25 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the case of the Liberty, I just think they need to have a players only meeting, if they haven't already, to figure out and define their roles on the team. Watching the Liberty, with their talent level, just reminds me of the Heatles (Lebron, D-Wade, Bosh, & Ray Allen) in their first year together. The one where (if you follow the NBA) LeBron James thought, like we all did, that the Heat would win not one, not two, not three, but multiple titles. The Liberty are in that similar situation. They need to figure out their roles on the team.
When Stewie has taken 39 free throws out of the team's 82 through, 6 games there is a problem.
Too many players in love with the 3 point shot, and not enough willing to drive to the basket and take a foul.
It makes it easier to defend the Liberty, until JJ is healthy, they will probably continue with this problem.

Reaction Score
When Stewie has taken 39 free throws out of the team's 82 through, 6 games there is a problem.
Too many players in love with the 3 point shot, and not enough willing to drive to the basket and take a foul.
It makes it easier to defend the Liberty, until JJ is healthy, they will probably continue with this problem.
Maybe. I am not too worried. I am not ready to panic.

Reaction Score
Now it's Anigwe.

"Temporary Suspension." Just like Big T. Are both of them playing in the European Championships? Do you know, @Tangential ?
Not that she played a lot for James Wade, but there are not a lot of players on that Sky bench, that's for sure.
Addition by subtraction

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
What exactly is the ceiling for JJ when she is 100% healthy? By far and away her best season was when A. Thomas missed almost the entire year. Last year coming off an MVP she was a bit lackluster, especially in the playoffs. Maybe the Lib should trade JJ to Dallas and get Howard back, she's proven to be a good front court partner for Stewie.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Short analysis on The Next on how Taylor Mikesell will fit into the Dream. This reporter doesn't touch on the lack of photoshop in the Dream organization ;), but does bring up some interesting points on how Mikesell's strengths as a player and what she's used to fit into the Dream. Here are two paragraphs and a link to the whole article.

"(Taylor) Mikesell has a one-motion catch-and-shooter jumper and with extremely quick, stable pull-up form. Her footwork and off-ball movement is exceptional in both areas, displaying the ability to shoot off stagger screens, pin-downs, dribble handoffs, and flare screens.

"She ranked in the 96th percentile on catch-and-shoot jumpers and the 88th percentile on dribble jumpers in 2023, according to Synergy Sports.

"Atlanta has a less complicated offensive scheme, compared to the likes of Las Vegas, New York, and Chicago. Wright’s system is built around player freedom and pace of play, similar to Kevin McGuff at Ohio State, which should allow Mikesell’s transition to the Dream to be a fluid one."

https://www./news/what-is-the-dream-getting-in-sharpshooting-guard-taylor-mikesell/

Reaction Score
In the case of the Liberty, I just think they need to have a players only meeting, if they haven't already, to figure out and define their roles on the team. Watching the Liberty, with their talent level, just reminds me of the Heatles (Lebron, D-Wade, Bosh, & Ray Allen) in their first year together. The one where (if you follow the NBA) LeBron James thought, like we all did, that the Heat would win not one, not two, not three, but multiple titles. The Liberty are in that similar situation. They need to figure out their roles on the team.
Your point is well taken as I agree with the analogy, but Ray Allen didn't join the Heat until LeBron et al. 3rd year together -- and they won a title in his 1st year there

I believe this will allow the Sparks to resign Karlie Samuelson tomorrow.
However, lets wait for official announcement.

Looks like they will be at 11 even with Karlie (which aligns with your thought process), so that means they are probably planning to keep 6 guards when J Thomas returns (even though they might have to initially release Clouden).
Short analysis on The Next on how Taylor Mikesell will fit into the Dream. This reporter doesn't touch on the lack of photoshop in the Dream organization ;), but does bring up some interesting points on how Mikesell's strengths as a player and what she's used to fit into the Dream. Here are two paragraphs and a link to the whole article.

"(Taylor) Mikesell has a one-motion catch-and-shooter jumper and with extremely quick, stable pull-up form. Her footwork and off-ball movement is exceptional in both areas, displaying the ability to shoot off stagger screens, pin-downs, dribble handoffs, and flare screens.

"She ranked in the 96th percentile on catch-and-shoot jumpers and the 88th percentile on dribble jumpers in 2023, according to Synergy Sports.

"Atlanta has a less complicated offensive scheme, compared to the likes of Las Vegas, New York, and Chicago. Wright’s system is built around player freedom and pace of play, similar to Kevin McGuff at Ohio State, which should allow Mikesell’s transition to the Dream to be a fluid one."

https://www./news/what-is-the-dream-getting-in-sharpshooting-guard-taylor-mikesell/
Thanks. I heard that she was shooting at a torrid pace at Fever camp. As the article states, she is a better fit in Atlanta, but the pressure will be on to perform in the next few weeks before Rupert returns (obviously, better alternative than no opportunity).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1st of 2 LV @ CT (last year's finals rematch and best 2 records at this point) games in 3 days is tonight. I will definitely have my eyes on the last 2 WNBA MIPs. They are both so workmanlike. Bri Jones doesn't do anything fancy, but she is always battling hard for boards, usually in the right spots on the court on both O & D, and rarely takes a bad shot.

Reaction Score

Breanna Stewart, BG, and Jackie Young are playing at different level than the rest of the WNBA. :eek: A'ja is up there too. It's kind of cool to see a rookie in the middle of all those vets, too! Go Boston!

Reaction Score

I was just about to add to my earlier post that I was also looking forward to the return of the best smile in the WNBA. If J Thomas returns soon and is somewhat healthy (her ACL recovery has taken longer than most athletes in recent memory) and they resign Karlie as anticipated (thanks for talking everybody off the ledge with your knowledge of transactions rules, @ochoopsfan), this will be a fun and quality squad.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Karlie Samuelson signed a Rest-of-Season Hardship Contract with the Los Angeles Sparks.

I dont care what they call it as long as she is back for the season.
Karlie Samuelson Yes GIF by CB PERFUMERIAS AVENIDA

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Have the Aces been playing possum? After close road games at Atlanta and Indiana, I was expecting a tough time at Connecticut tonight. Hmm...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sun cut a 17 point deficit to 3 in about 5 minutes of game time. Aces held them off though. Another chilly shooting day behind the arc for LV and Becca Allen went off for Conn. Wasn't enough though. We'll see what happens in Round 2.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow what a game between Sky/Indy. I just turned it on in the last 2 minutes and it has been back and forth excellent offensive execution every time down with multiple shots that I thought would end up game winners. Boston has dominated down the stretch too--no doubt she's going to be a stud in this league.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Indiana just continues to just blow it completely in winnable games they should have won. It’s unbelievable
Really poor execution in overtime. Blown layup by Wheeler, a couple of bad shots by Mitchell, and never got the ball to Boston until the game was over in OT. Looks like a 3 team race (Indy/Seattle/Minnesota) for the potential Caitlin Clark/Paige Bueckers sweepstakes.

Reaction Score
Really poor execution in overtime. Blown layup by Wheeler, a couple of bad shots by Mitchell, and never got the ball to Boston until the game was over in OT. Looks like a 3 team race (Indy/Seattle/Minnesota) for the potential Caitlin Clark/Paige Bueckers sweepstakes.
Sides need to take a lot of blame for this one. The (lineups) rotations in OT made no sense either, Mitchell just chucking up hair Mary shots. Zero attempts to get the ball in the paint the entire time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A few thoughts after watching the "middle" of the three Tuesday night games:

- Sky-Fever was an offensive scrimmage, with defense often optional. While Marina Mabrey and Dana Evans each had three steals, no one seemed willing and/or able to contest Aliyah Boston, whether one-on-one or off the pick-and-roll. A few times Dana Evans ended up on Boston and wanted no part of being within two feet of the rookie.

- Mabrey (28), Evans (20), Kahleah Copper (24) and Alanna Smith (18) all shot better than 50% from the field and Mabrey did her usual finish-off-the-game with FT's at the end, hitting 9-9 overall (after going 9-11 against the Liberty).

- Not sure Chicago's interior defense is going to hold up against top teams that go down low, based on Aliyah Boston's scoring last night, (note the "go down low," Liberty fans) because Elizabeth Williams and Alanna Smith are the only two bigs on the roster at this point.

- Boston's the real deal. Na'lyssa Smith has up and down quarters and Egbo doesn't get steady minutes. I swear this team could use a hit of Engstler's toughness and street smarts. Their call....

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
LA blew a big early lead, now everybody has at least 1 win. Loyd scored 25...but went 5-18 from the floor. 13-14 from the FT line makes up for it I guess?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
LA blew a big early lead, now everybody has at least 1 win. Loyd scored 25...but went 5-18 from the floor. 13-14 from the FT line makes up for it I guess?
Yikes that's a bad loss. They were up 21 in the first. Horston with a huge night (14 points, 7 boards, 4 steals).

Seattle has a weak roster but they'll need a 3rd option to step up aside for Loyd/Ezi. Horston was that person tonight but on the year they need a lot more from players like Whitcomb/Nurse/Russell if they don't want to finish bottom 2-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom