OT: - Wimbledon | The Boneyard

OT: Wimbledon

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
So a pretty cool story is developing at Wimbledon and I wanted to share. Chris Eubanks is a 27 year old American from Atlanta who played college tennis at Georgia Tech and is playing for his first time ever this year in the Wimbledon main draw. As recently as March, he was ranked #119 in the world before going on this insane run:

Now he is into the Quarterfinals after taking down world #5 Stefanos Tsitsipas in 5 sets and is the last American remaining in the main draw.

Pretty cool to see. Really happy for him and hope he can keep this magical run going.

Drew

Reaction Score
have to admit the Netflix show sucked me right back into tennis …… fun tourney thus far
I still haven’t seen the Netflix series - is it worth watching?

It’s been an awesome tournament thus far, sadly I think Djokovic is en route to yet another Slam title. Cheering for someone to stop him (Alcaraz?)

Reaction Score
So a pretty cool story is developing at Wimbledon and I wanted to share. Chris Eubanks is a 27 year old American from Atlanta who played college tennis at Georgia Tech and is playing for his first time ever this year in the Wimbledon main draw. As recently as March, he was ranked #119 in the world before going on this insane run:

Now he is into the Quarterfinals after taking down world #5 Stefanos Tsitsipas in 5 sets and is the last American remaining in the main draw.

Pretty cool to see. Really happy for him and hope he can keep this magical run going.

He's a great story. There's a video I saw earlier today where's he's speaking to a reporter about cracking the top 100 and he's breaks down crying throughout it. You can really feel how much it means to him.

Drew

Reaction Score
He's a great story. There's a video I saw earlier today where's he's speaking to a reporter about cracking the top 100 and he's breaks down crying throughout it. You can really feel how much it means to him.

this one right here. It’s awesome. Seems like such a great guy- and an awesome story. Hope he can keep it going against Medvedev but that’s a tall task

Reaction Score

this one right here. It’s awesome. Seems like such a great guy- and an awesome story. Hope he can keep it going against Medvedev but that’s a tall task

Yep, that's it. I like Medvedev but I'm 100% behind Eubanks. Never even heard of him before today but he seems like a genuinely great guy and this is life changing for him.

Reaction Score
I still haven’t seen the Netflix series - is it worth watching?

It’s been an awesome tournament thus far, sadly I think Djokovic is en route to yet another Slam title. Cheering for someone to stop him (Alcaraz?)
I like it a lot mostly because I had stopped following for an extended bit. Really had no connection of current players outside rankings. Now I feel a bit more vested.

Drew

Reaction Score
I like it a lot mostly because I had stopped following for an extended bit. Really had no connection of current players outside rankings. Now I feel a bit more vested.
I’m ready for one of these young guys to fully break through. Alcaraz, Medvedev, etc have all had moments but I’m VERY over Novak’s run

I think Rublev v Djoker is going to be an awesome match today. Andrey has been playing great tennis- he could pose a real challenge to Novak along with Sinner given their ability to win easy points

Drew

Reaction Score
Eubanks’ Quarterfinal match against Daniil Medvedev is about to start on ESPN in 10 minutes. Hope to see him pull it out.

As for Rublev- he won the first and then proceeded to get worked. Novak is just on another level from these guys still sadly.

Reaction Score
Eubanks’ Quarterfinal match against Daniil Medvedev is about to start on ESPN in 10 minutes. Hope to see him pull it out.

As for Rublev- he won the first and then proceeded to get worked. Novak is just on another level from these guys still sadly.
Novak really is on another level. It just seems like whenever a set gets into a tiebreaker he always finds a way to win as he keeps his composure better than this opponent, although Hubert Hurkacz played the first 2 set tiebreakers well. I always expect Novak to keep win the tiebreaker. The only person where I have doubt that Novak would win the tiebreaker is when he plays against Nadal.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There haven't been many who at their best can compete with Djokovic on a grass court and currently there really aren't any. Shy of something remarkable happening this tournament is his.

Reaction Score
Novak really is on another level. It just seems like whenever a set gets into a tiebreaker he always finds a way to win as he keeps his composure better than this opponent, although Hubert Hurkacz played the first 2 set tiebreakers well. I always expect Novak to keep win the tiebreaker. The only person where I have doubt that Novak would win the tiebreaker is when he plays against Nadal.
He really is and given that he appears to be healthy and in a good headspace it’s going to be an uphill battle. Wonder how much longer he’s got. Men’s game could be wide open kind of like the Women once Novak hangs them up.

Reaction Score
Eubanks is playing some ridiculous tennis right now, he's hitting so big.

Drew

Reaction Score
Eubanks is playing some ridiculous tennis right now, he's hitting so big.
To take a set 6-1 from Medvedev is insane

Now up a break in the third- keep it going Chris!!

Drew

Reaction Score
He just has such a mental advantage over these guys at this point. Hurkacz blinked after being up in both of those tiebreakers which he should’ve won and all of a sudden he was down 0-2. It’s so demoralizing to play him- he’s just mentally so much stronger than you and in pressure moments is so consistent because he knows you’ll make a mistake

Reaction Score
To take a set 6-1 from Medvedev is insane

Now up a break in the third- keep it going Chris!!
He played great but his level dropped slightly at the end of the 4th and Medvedev stepped up his game with deep returns and a killer first serve. Eubanks should be really proud of the way he played this tournament and match and he should build on this.

Happy for Medvedev, he's an excellent player and got the bad guy label when he's actually one of the nicest guys on the tour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Great run by Eubanks, just ran out of steam against an experienced opponent. Where has Eubanks been since GTech & how/why is he putting it together now at 27?!

Drew

Reaction Score
It was awesome to watch- I think Sinner has the ability to take a set off Djoker but fully expecting Novak in the final.

Medvedev v Alcaraz will be something to watch. Going to be epic.

So happy for Chris- he really captivated an audience across the globe. Can’t wait to see him on the US Open tour and at the US Open in August/September

Reaction Score

Enjoy the GOAT while
You can man

Drew

Reaction Score
Anyone watching the final? Novak cruised in the first set but Carlos has settled in in the second, up 6-5 on serve. Djoker serving coming out of this changeover to try to send it to a second set tiebreaker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom