Will South Carolina run it back and go undefeated in 2024-25? | The Boneyard

Will South Carolina run it back and go undefeated in 2024-25?

Will South Carolina go undefeated in 2024-25?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Straight up, will South Carolina pull off another undefeated season in 2024-25? They have the most athletic and balanced roster in the country and everyone is back besides Cardoso:

Projected starters:
Ashlyn Watkins
Chloe Kitts
Bree Hall
Tehina Pao Pao
Raven Johnson

Bench:
Milaysia Fulwiley
Tessa Johnson
Sania Feagin
Adhel Tac
Joyce Edwards
Madisen McDaniel

They had some close calls this year but should be even better next year, keeping almost the full rotation in tact and bring in a strong recruiting class. I see them as a dominant interior team with Watkins filling Cardoso's shoes well, and I'd also look for continued improvement from their other young players like Kitts, both Johnsons and Fulwiley, all of whom were brilliant today. I'll get the ball rolling and vote yes, I do think they'll go undefeated, but am curious to see what everyone else predicts.

Reaction Score
let's make it a 1-1 tie. You make some excellent points but I don't think they'll win all those close games next year. One bad night can be the difference.
It was arguably just the one but I agree they won't go undefeated again.

Reaction Score
I would say they’ve got a chance to win back to back titles, but probably less likely to go undefeated. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they did. The roster is loaded.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
let's make it a 1-1 tie. You make some excellent points but I don't think they'll win all those close games next year. One bad night can be the difference.
Very true. They wouldn't have gone undefeated this year if it wasn't for Tennessee bricking 2 FTs followed by Cardoso banking in 3 pointer at the buzzer.

Reaction Score
I thought we'd complete the feat in 2023, but we didn't. My heart sank for the Freshies.

Leading up to this season, I thought it'd be something to win this season because there were so many doubters and because it felt like Dawn didn't get the ring she was supposed to get. She needed to regain ground on Kim Mulkey.

Well, here we are. I'm feeling greedy and optimistic, so I'm going to say "yes". Let's get Raven, Breezy, and Sania three rings!

bballnut90

Reaction Score
It was arguably just the one but I agree they won't go undefeated again.
They had many close games:
-UNC game was within 2 points in the last 4 minutes
-Utah game was within 2 in the last 3 minutes
-1st LSU game was tied in final 2 minutes
-SEC Tennessee game was a buzzer beater 3 to win
-Indiana was a 2 point game in the last minute

Reaction Score
I don't think so either. I don't believe I have ever predicted a UCONN undefeated season either. If I were a gambler I'd take the field to beat them once.

But yes they are the team to beat.

Reaction Score
No, South Carolina won't go undefeated next year but they could win another title.
I agree. I think they're the clear pre-season favorite. The loss of Kamila is significant, nd they have no one to take her place... yet. This means Dawn will have to reinvent the lineups for next season. But I think she's up to the task.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I agree. I think they're the clear pre-season favorite. The loss of Kamila is significant, nd they have no one to take her place... yet. This means Dawn will have to reinvent the lineups for next season. But I think she's up to the task.
Watkins is the clear choice to replace Cardoso as a starter. Rewatch the SC-UCONN game if you want a preview of what they'll look like without Cardoso next season.

Reaction Score
Straight up, will South Carolina pull off another undefeated season in 2024-25? They have the most athletic and balanced roster in the country and everyone is back besides Cardoso:

Projected starters:
Ashlyn Watkins
Chloe Kitts
Bree Hall
Tehina Pao Pao
Raven Johnson

Bench:
Milaysia Fulwiley
Tessa Johnson
Sania Feagin
Adhel Tac
Joyce Edwards
Madisen McDaniel

They had some close calls this year but should be even better next year, keeping almost the full rotation in tact and bring in a strong recruiting class. I see them as a dominant interior team with Watkins filling Cardoso's shoes well, and I'd also look for continued improvement from their other young players like Kitts, both Johnsons and Fulwiley, all of whom were brilliant today. I'll get the ball rolling and vote yes, I do think they'll go undefeated, but am curious to see what everyone else predicts.
I really like their team but I just don't see it tbh. In fairness I didn't see it to begin this season. The SEC gets tougher next year with the addition Texas and Oklahoma I believe. I'm not sure how that works out with the schedule. Additionally, they may be playing Uconn at Uconn which will be a pretty big test. I know they won some games without Cardoso this season, but she really was a difference maker in some of their closest games. Unless Fulwiley and Tessa Johnson take a big leap which is not out of the question, I don't think they'll be able to do it. Of course, I'd like to revisit the thread once some of the big fish in the portal find their destination.

Reaction Score
I really like their team but I just don't see it tbh. In fairness I didn't see it to begin this season. The SEC gets tougher next year with the addition Texas and Oklahoma I believe. I'm not sure how that works out with the schedule. Additionally, they may be playing Uconn at Uconn which will be a pretty big test. I know they won some games without Cardoso this season, but she really was a difference maker in some of their closest games. Unless Fulwiley and Tessa Johnson take a big leap which is not out of the question, I don't think they'll be able to do it. Of course, I'd like to revisit the thread once some of the big fish in the portal find their destination.
Really good post, jdote33... I just gave a double-take when you mention the possibility of Fulwiley and Tessa Johnson taking a big leap. Heck, it surely looked in both Final Four games (and in previous games) that both, even prone as they might have been to freshman errors, already have made that leap.

Reaction Score
Watkins is the clear choice to replace Cardoso as a starter. Rewatch the SC-UCONN game if you want a preview of what they'll look like without Cardoso next season.
I don't disagree. but the team will look different with a 6'3" center as opposed to a 6'7" center. That's all I said. If you want a preview of how that plays out, compare UConn this season with Aaliyah at center and UConn the previous several seasons with Dorka and Olivia at center. What's compelling in your remark is that Dawn has already begun thinking through this problem.

Reaction Score
I’m fine not going undefeated. They’ve done it once, I’m good with that. I just want the repeat of SEC titles and the NC repeat.

Losing Kamilla is huge, but we do add Edwards and Tac to the front court rotation. They no doubt will get PT throughout the season and if they improve similarly to what we saw from Milaysia, Tessa, Chloe, and Sania, they can be valuable contributors off the bench for next year’s team. We’re not sure how Tac’s surgery will impact her off-season and the start of next season, but by appearances her situation is nowhere near that of LA’s and Raven’s and I wouldn’t be surprised if she participated in some of the off-season program and be ready to go by the start of training camp.

Reaction Score
It at UConn next year. We play in Columbia. Makeup for cancellation of our home game in 22.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
What makes SC so unique is they don't rely on 1, 2, or even 3 specific players having good nights to be able to win. Anyone in their rotation (which this season was 9) can step up and be the Player of the Game. Did anyone call Tessa Johnson (arguably the 9th player in their rotation) being the leading scorer in the championship?

Undefeated...who knows. National champions again? Wouldn't be a surprise.

Reaction Score
I think Coach Staley will replace Cardoso with Sania Fagan in order to reward her loyalty and to increase her draft stock. Watkins off the bench is every bit as effective. It would not surprise me at all if Raven takes a seat to start games next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very interested to see If Sarah could penetrate (I mean score inside) the great interior inside wall of defense from South Carolina. I think in order to beat them you need some inside-out. It can't be all "bombs-away." And if she could be an impact on inside defensive rebounding taahts a plus too.

Maybe Texas - if they play 2-3 times will get them once as long as they some experienced size.

Reaction Score
Me, looking for “all those close games.”

Attachments

• IMG_0488.gif
    IMG_0488.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Reaction Score
Me, looking for “all those close games.”
Feels like the Tennessee buzzer beater created a false narrative that we had a series of close calls.

I could be wrong, but I think the only games we did not lead by double digits all year were at LSU and at North Carolina. The game at LSU was the toughest environment we faced all year against the team best suited to match up with us, and Chapel Hill was the first true road game for a new lineup.

Yes, we needed Cardoso’s shot to beat Tennessee, but that was a 23 point lead blown by a young team. I think it’s more likely a more experienced team learns to close out opponents than we need to continue sweating out games because we couldn’t finish them off.

And while we’re getting older, the competition is getting younger. Tennessee and Indiana both kept fighting when down big. Iowa didn’t fold at a couple points in the 2nd half when we threatened to run away. All three of those teams were filled with COVID year veterans. Idk how many of those will be left, but it’s certainly less than this year.

(I still voted no because it’s so hard to go 38-0 in a top conference. It’s just the safer bet. We play UConn, Texas at least once, another top OOC slate, and likely a bounceback SEC as a whole)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom