Will South Carolina run it back and go undefeated in 2024-25? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Will South Carolina run it back and go undefeated in 2024-25?

Will South Carolina go undefeated in 2024-25?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
Honestly, I am not sure about SC next year. Sure, most everyone will be back from a team that just won the national championship. However, it is going to be tough to replace Cardoso. They won't have anyone close to her size on their roster next year. I also wonder about their depth. They will only have 11 players. If a few injuries hit, that could significantly impact their depth. The injury bug didn't hit them too much this year but UCONN fans know how things like that can derail a season.
South Carolina is at 12 players right now with the three 5 stars and McDonalds All Americans joining the present squad. Adhel Tac who is already on the squad and rehabbing a knee cap surgery is 6'6. Also Sakima Walker is 6'5 and should be returning. We all know what their present bigs can do now already. Add that Uconn has to come back to Columbia again for their annual game because they have to make up a canceled game that occured two years ago, they could resonably go undefeated again, though they could trip up and lose a game next year. I definitely feel over the course of a season, they can win the title again. They are 109-3 over the past three years thus they have an amazing amount of consistency in their DNA

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
South Carolina is at 12 players right now with the three 5 stars and McDonalds All Americans joining the present squad. Adhel Tac who is already on the squad and rehabbing a knee cap surgery is 6'6. Also Sakima Walker is 6'5 and should be returning. We all know what their present bigs can do now already. Add that Uconn has to come back to Columbia again for their annual game because they have to make up a canceled game that occured two years ago, they could resonably go undefeated again, though they could trip up and lose a game next year. I definitely feel over the course of a season, they can win the title again. They are 109-3 over the past three years thus they have an amazing amount of consistency in their DNA

It really seems like we're in the midst of a potential dynasty right now. South Carolina could have easily won the last 5 titles if not for some bad luck and are well positioned for the next 2:
2020: 32-1, #1 team where covid canceled tournament and most had them penciled in to play in the title game vs. Oregon.
2021: Boston's missed layup at the buzzer in the Final Four would've won them the game, they'd be a heavy favorite over Arizona.
2022: Won it all
2023: Undefeated until Final Four where Clark had one of the best performances in NCAA history and pulled the upset.
2024: New starting 5, undefeated season.
2025: Everyone is back besides Cardoso, clear #1 team going into next year.
2026: Likely will be at top team, will be able to formulate a starting 5 of Watkins/Kitts/Fulwiley/T. Johnson/R. Johnson

Reaction Score
My expectation is not a title. I expect a final four and hope for higher. Last year, I expected elite 8.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, I forgot about Tach but she is also coming off of an injury and doesn't have college experience. Also, Sakima Walker barely played this year and I think she was brought in just to fill a roster spot. It's a fact that they only have 11 players. If 2-3 would happen to go down, I don't see them going undefeated or winning a national championship.

Reaction Score
I no longer consider us as having 5 starters, I consider us to have four rotational bigs and five rotational guards. I would not change that rotation next season. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

With Kamilla gone, I expect us to continue the 9 player rotation with Joyce Edwards taking her place in the 4 player revolving bigs. I expect her to be a solid, contributing member by mid-season though she may have some growing pains early. Sakima will remain a non-factor though she can give a few minutes at quarter/half ends to give some rest or time of during foul troubles.

I want to see Tach red-shirt. Sorry, she hurt her foot midway through her junior year. Played a few games her senior year and was re-injured. After two injuries, she needs a year to rest. Why take a chance on having an Azzi Fudd - type college career?? Maybe she could start getting some PT in the second half of next season.

McDaniel got hurt in the second half of her senior year. I would redshirt her for the coming season. Again, why rush it if we don't have to

Basically, I'm saying Keep the 9 player rotation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I no longer consider us as having 5 starters, I consider us to have four rotational bigs and five rotational guards. I would not change that rotation next season. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

With Kamilla gone, I expect us to continue the 9 player rotation with Joyce Edwards taking her place in the 4 player revolving bigs. I expect her to be a solid, contributing member by mid-season though she may have some growing pains early. Sakima will remain a non-factor though she can give a few minutes at quarter/half ends to give some rest or time of during foul troubles.

I want to see Tach red-shirt. Sorry, she hurt her foot midway through her junior year. Played a few games her senior year and was re-injured. After two injuries, she needs a year to rest. Why take a chance on having an Azzi Fudd - type college career?? Maybe she could start getting some PT in the second half of next season.

McDaniel got hurt in the second half of her senior year. I would redshirt her for the coming season. Again, why rush it if we don't have to

Basically, I'm saying Keep the 8 player rotation.
Tac cannot redshirt again next year bc that is what she is doing this year.

(I don't think you can medically redshirt and then take a regular redshirt year)

Reaction Score
If UConn has to play them next season, they will beat South Carolina.

It really seems like we're in the midst of a potential dynasty right now. South Carolina could have easily won the last 5 titles if not for some bad luck and are well positioned for the next 2:
2020: 32-1, #1 team where covid canceled tournament and most had them penciled in to play in the title game vs. Oregon.
2021: Boston's missed layup at the buzzer in the Final Four would've won them the game, they'd be a heavy favorite over Arizona.
2022: Won it all
2023: Undefeated until Final Four where Clark had one of the best performances in NCAA history and pulled the upset.
2024: New starting 5, undefeated season.
2025: Everyone is back besides Cardoso, clear #1 team going into next year.
2026: Likely will be at top team, will be able to formulate a starting 5 of Watkins/Kitts/Fulwiley/T. Johnson/R. Johnson
This is accurate as to the past and as to preseason expectations this day in April.

With the portal it is anyone's guess who will be favored in October.

I'm not sure anyone currently in portal would swing the title but Iriafen possibly could.

Reaction Score
I think it will be a great season. I am betting they lose a few games which would be normal. It is not easy to have an undefeated season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My expectations for S.C.:

—Very good. Obviously.

—#1 at some point in the season. Yep.

—NCAA champions—in the mix, maybe the favorite

—Undefeated. Not likely. In 50 years, only the Maya Moore team could manage it. If they have a tough S.E.C. schedule, unlike this year, plus some tough OOC games on the road plus a tournament game against another tough team, I think 2 losses are more likely than 0.

Reaction Score
Straight up, will South Carolina pull off another undefeated season in 2024-25? They have the most athletic and balanced roster in the country and everyone is back besides Cardoso:

Projected starters:
Ashlyn Watkins
Chloe Kitts
Bree Hall
Tehina Pao Pao
Raven Johnson

Bench:
Milaysia Fulwiley
Tessa Johnson
Sania Feagin
Adhel Tac
Joyce Edwards
Madisen McDaniel

They had some close calls this year but should be even better next year, keeping almost the full rotation in tact and bring in a strong recruiting class. I see them as a dominant interior team with Watkins filling Cardoso's shoes well, and I'd also look for continued improvement from their other young players like Kitts, both Johnsons and Fulwiley, all of whom were brilliant today. I'll get the ball rolling and vote yes, I do think they'll go undefeated, but am curious to see what everyone else predicts.T
To answer the question posed, not dealing with the roster. SC can't win next April---Geno has that locked up. NC 2025 for the ladies

Reaction Score
I think Coach Staley will replace Cardoso with Sania Fagan in order to reward her loyalty and to increase her draft stock. Watkins off the bench is every bit as effective. It would not surprise me at all if Raven takes a seat to start games next year.
Raven isn’t taking a seat. If you think Lay is starting in her place you don’t know Dawn. She doesn’t care if Raven scores a point - she’s the one that runs the team and she’s magnificent at it. Dawn will figure out her rotations and her players will know where they stand. I think they all enjoyed how things turned out this year and that’s certainly motivation to do it again. Joyce Edwards has already said she’s coming in trying to find a role. Raven, Feagin and Bree Hall are all seniors. Raven does have a redshirt year if she wants to come back.

Unless they do A crazy reboot of the conference schedule next year we should play LSU at home and we also play UConn at home.

Reaction Score
It’s all up to Dawn being able to continue to convince her recruits to sacrifice their individual egos for the greater good of winning a NC. Dawn will have her endorsement deals. Will any of her players?
She’s done a magnificent job of creating an unselfish culture. If everybody comes back and/or she can augment leavers with the same quality athletes. They could easily win it all next year.
Dawn’s players are not lacking in endorsements. She’s actually one of the coaches that absolutely supports NIL. MiLaysia has the National brands but there are quite a few with other big deals.

Last edited:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
It's too hard to go undefeated and that's why it was a shock this year. You could argue that the team will be better, but you also lose your "youth and enthusiasm" in year 2 of a run. It's certainly possible but I don't think it's probable. They will be a final four team and maybe win it all again, but the undefeated part is going to be hard and not necessary.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Honestly, I am not sure about SC next year. Sure, most everyone will be back from a team that just won the national championship. However, it is going to be tough to replace Cardoso. They won't have anyone close to her size on their roster next year. I also wonder about their depth. They will only have 11 players. If a few injuries hit, that could significantly impact their depth. The injury bug didn't hit them too much this year but UCONN fans know how things like that can derail a season.
Well Tac comes in at 6'6" and Dawn has said she is more ready than Boston was. Do you remember Boston in her freshman season? If Tac can play and if Dawn is correct, then Cardosa's spot is filled with an equal or better player. I saw Tac standing next to Cardosa several times and she is just as tall and broader. You won't see her moved around the court in the paint.

Reaction Score
Well Tac comes in at 6'6" and Dawn has said she is more ready than Boston was. Do you remember Boston in her freshman season? If Tac can play and if Dawn is correct, then Cardosa's spot is filled with an equal or better player. I saw Tac standing next to Cardosa several times and she is just as tall and broader. You won't see her moved around the court in the paint.
Slight correction to your statement. Dawn said that Tac was more ready DEFENSIVELY from a basketball IQ standpoint than Boston as a freshmen.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Slight correction to your statement. Dawn said that Tac was more ready DEFENSIVELY from a basketball IQ standpoint than Boston as a freshmen.
She doesn't need offense from Tac. The defense and rebounding are all she will need from her. They have scorers. It's still a scary proposition to have that caliper of a player to replace Cardosa.

Reaction Score
If UConn has to play them next season, they will beat South Carolina.
Barring significant changes to either roster through the portal, I believe you will be disappointed. I would not feel confident at Gampel, but South Carolina should win in Columbia.

Reaction Score
I hate to go against my Husky's - but a two team parlay on South Carolina and either Duke or UConn men could be a good futures bet for next season. Combo of UConn men and SC women is +3300. Well worth dropping 20 now to have a good shot at 660 a year from now. To me there is low risk in picking Carolina. It's the mens side that could get tricky.

Reaction Score
Just looked at 2025 championship odds on a betting site:

South Carolina +145
UConn 4/1
Texas 7/1
Notre Dame/LSU/USC 9/1
UCLA 14/1

Reaction Score
It was arguably just the one but I agree they won't go undefeated again.
I would like to go on record as having said that SC NEVER should've been ranked 6th at the beginning of this season. LOL!

As for next year, they're the clear cut #1, but I do think the loss of Cardoso will be much bigger than people think. You can have close to equal talent of South Carolina, but with such a massive force in the paint, it's impossible to:

1. Guard her
2. Do much inside against her on the offensive end.

Now, they're loaded with talent, but it's not talent surrounded by someone who is just that big and dominant.

Reaction Score
I would like to go on record as having said that SC NEVER should've been ranked 6th at the beginning of this season. LOL!

As for next year, they're the clear cut #1, but I do think the loss of Cardoso will be much bigger than people think. You can have close to equal talent of South Carolina, but with such a massive force in the paint, it's impossible to:

1. Guard her
2. Do much inside against her on the offensive end.

Now, they're loaded with talent, but it's not talent surrounded by someone who is just that big and dominant.
Yeah, even excluding the Tennessee miracle shot, I think we would have lost some games without Cardoso...the Duke and North Carolina games come to mind. We would have probably had 3 losses this season without her.

Reaction Score
I really like their team but I just don't see it tbh. In fairness I didn't see it to begin this season. The SEC gets tougher next year with the addition Texas and Oklahoma I believe. I'm not sure how that works out with the schedule. Additionally, they may be playing Uconn at Uconn which will be a pretty big test. I know they won some games without Cardoso this season, but she really was a difference maker in some of their closest games. Unless Fulwiley and Tessa Johnson take a big leap which is not out of the question, I don't think they'll be able to do it. Of course, I'd like to revisit the thread once some of the big fish in the portal find their destination.
UConn plays at SC next season.

Reaction Score
I think Coach Staley will replace Cardoso with Sania Fagan in order to reward her loyalty and to increase her draft stock. Watkins off the bench is every bit as effective. It would not surprise me at all if Raven takes a seat to start games next year.
Feagin may well start at the 5, good call. Raven is the team leader and floor general, she won’t ever see the bench until she graduates however.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom