Why do top recruits want to play for Jon Scheyer? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Why do top recruits want to play for Jon Scheyer?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone knows what Scheyer is yet, good or bad. That seems risky for a school like Duke to gamble on an unknown, right?

Through recruiting he's given himself the opportunity of coaching the most elite talent available, which is a pretty good start.

I'll reserve further judgment until I see how he does with his dream recruiting class.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Pepperdine by far. USD is too far from the ocean.
Calhoun liked to play Pepperdine, I think we played them home and home for a stretch. Maybe to give the kids somewhere nice to play.

Reaction Score
Because the programs were definitely in the same spot…

I’m not even that down on Scheyer and am still recovering from years of actively rooting for Duke, but you know that isn’t a great take.

Regardless, I am interested in seeing how play out for Scheyer and Neptune, who find themselves in similar spots. Jay Wright is still heavily involved and around that Villanova program, moreso than Krzyzewski at Duke, I think, which can definitely cause its own challenges.
Totally agree they were nowhere near the same spot, just pointing out how ludicrous it is to make any judgements at 1 year and 8 games. We were ready to assign knighthood to Ollie at year 1 and 2, and many here were still down in Hurley in year 4. How can anyone know what Scheyer will be like at this point??

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Meh kids go to Duke because it’s Duke. You could hire Kermit the Frog as coach and many would still go play there.

F Duke

Reaction Score
View attachment 93819 View attachment 93820
I’d attach more pictures but can only post two. Show me another ACC or SEC or northeast school that has architecture like this, AND recruits the cream of the crop EVERY year. Ok Big Ernie Crack? I guess they were trying to outdo northeast schools when they started building it in 1930. Maybe they were trying to outdo Rome?
Did a Duke tour while on a biz trip a few years ago. Was underwhelmed by their campus. The buildings look like knock-offs, not because of their age, but because they were done cheaply. If you walk the Yale campus you would see that Duke and Yale share some architectural themes, but the big difference is the Yale buildings look regal and authentic (even the brand new college). Duke looks like if Disney were to build a typical college campus. Enough details to spark the imagination but not enough to withstand close inspection. They would be better off going the way of chapel hill (a MUCH nicer campus) - the older buildings and landscape feel authentic.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The ACC tournament championship saved him last year. If he has the same kind of season without it his contract is going to look really premature.

Hell, Ollie had to win a national championship to earn his extension lmaooo

That’s usually what happens….

Reaction Score
Calhoun liked to play Pepperdine, I think we played them home and home for a stretch. Maybe to give the kids somewhere nice to play.
I think we would sometimes play Pepperdine on our way out to the Maui Invitational.

Reaction Score
View attachment 93819 View attachment 93820
I’d attach more pictures but can only post two. Show me another ACC or SEC or northeast school that has architecture like this, AND recruits the cream of the crop EVERY year. Ok Big Ernie Crack? I guess they were trying to outdo northeast schools when they started building it in 1930. Maybe they were trying to outdo Rome?
Yuck. A fugly church, and then an eye-scraping clash of Gothic and Georgian architecture when you take in the whole quad.

No basketball player ever went there because of the "beauty" of the campus.

Reaction Score
Yuck. A fugly church, and then an eye-scraping clash of Gothic and Georgian architecture when you take in the whole quad.

No basketball player ever went there because of the "beauty" of the campus.
Well, your opinion but have to say you’re full of it.

Reaction Score
Did a Duke tour while on a biz trip a few years ago. Was underwhelmed by their campus. The buildings look like knock-offs, not because of their age, but because they were done cheaply. If you walk the Yale campus you would see that Duke and Yale share some architectural themes, but the big difference is the Yale buildings look regal and authentic (even the brand new college). Duke looks like if Disney were to build a typical college campus. Enough details to spark the imagination but not enough to withstand close inspection. They would be better off going the way of chapel hill (a MUCH nicer campus) - the older buildings and landscape feel authentic.
My kid brother went to Duke, been there a few times, but years ago. I do not know what you’re talking about when you say those grand old buildings were done cheaply. When you say the stone work was done cheaply, how so? I mean everything is still standing and beautiful after almost 100 years. I don’t like Duke either but give some credit, where credit is due.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Because the programs were definitely in the same spot…

I’m not even that down on Scheyer and am still recovering from years of actively rooting for Duke, but you know that isn’t a great take.

Regardless, I am interested in seeing how play out for Scheyer and Neptune, who find themselves in similar spots. Jay Wright is still heavily involved and around that Villanova program, moreso than Krzyzewski at Duke, I think, which can definitely cause its own challenges.
At both schools, to keep achieving at the same level they were Neptune and Scheyer each would need to be top 5 head coaches in the sport. The odds of someone who hasn’t already proven to be a top head coach in the sport suddenly being one when they’re put in charge of a top program is a huge long shot. I think it’s already pretty clear neither of these guys is a top coach. They obviously can improve but I wouldn’t bet on either of them being at least somewhat close to wright or k—which, as crazy as it may sound, is essentially what they’re being tasked with.

Both schools would’ve done way better to just poach the best head coach available from outside their coaching trees.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think we would sometimes play Pepperdine on our way out to the Maui Invitational.
I believe that happened once
We played Pepperdine 11/18/2005 on way out to Maui Invitational. Beat Arkansas on 11/21, Arizona on 11/22 and Gonzaga 11/23 to win the tournament.

Only other time we played Pepperdine was 1/2/1988.

Reaction Score
I suspect they're all at Carolina. Duke kids are from the Northeast.

The only kids from NC who go to Duke are ones who have daddy's money paying for it. Every smart public school kid in the state goes to UNC. It would be stupid not to... tuition is 7,000$ compared to 58,000.

My wife was accepted to both and paid for a UNC degree working at fricken Starbucks. It's a no brainer.

Reaction Score
IMO they lose the benefit of the doubt if they have another crap season, both w/recruits and media. Nice campus, sure. So is Pepperdine.
I went to Pepperdine years ago to see UConn girls with Diana, Barbara, Ann, etc. You are right, that is some campus. Was funny the Pepperdine fans were shocked that their little gym was full of fans, Willnet had a big family group there.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Well, your opinion but have to say you’re full of it.
Whatever he's full of, I'll place a bet it has better taste than that neo-faux-gothic monstrosity you seem to find attractive.
See the real things and you'll understand that imitation may be a form of flattery but always just comes across as tacky and pedestrian.

Reaction Score
My kid brother went to Duke, been there a few times, but years ago. I do not know what you’re talking about when you say those grand old buildings were done cheaply. When you say the stone work was done cheaply, how so? I mean everything is still standing and beautiful after almost 100 years. I don’t like Duke either but give some credit, where credit is

My kid brother went to Duke, been there a few times, but years ago. I do not know what you’re talking about when you say those grand old buildings were done cheaply. When you say the stone work was done cheaply, how so? I mean everything is still standing and beautiful after almost 100 years. I don’t like Duke either but give some credit, where credit is due.
Duke is a great school, your brother is fortunate to have attended. That was not my point. Duke modeled their neo-gothic buildings after several Ivy institutions including Yale, Princeton, etc (who modeled theirs after Oxford). At the time Duke was building their Gothic revival campus, they had a limited budget relative to their Ivy peers so they achieved a similar look by cutting corners (different, less expensive stone and less intricate facades for one). So while it is clearly an example of collegiate revival, the buildings are noticeably different from those that served as inspiration. This does not make it less of a school. I have the same observation of UM’s or BC’s gothic buildings.

Reaction Score
Kids that get seriously recruited by Duke have NBA aspirations. Duke has a reputation of getting kids to the NBA. I don’t have numbers in front of me but I’d be pretty confident that they’re either the #1 or #2 most represented college with active NBA players. Coach Cal and Kentucky have a similar reputation

I don’t think it goes much deeper than that tbh

Reaction Score
This looks interesting.

I can easily see how that happens. Scheyer doesn't have enough experience or success to command respect from the players. He may not be a good leader and communicator either. I imagine it happens a lot in sports with young coaches. Duke made its bed and now it has to lie down in it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom