Why do top recruits want to play for Jon Scheyer? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Why do top recruits want to play for Jon Scheyer?

Reaction Score
Following a retired legend is never easy and the fans will have little patience. Those who immediately succeeded Wooden, D. Smith and Knight ended up as sacrificial lambs.

Duke could have gotten any of the top, up and coming young coaches who have experience, and a foundation of success. Instead, they took a risk and hired Scheyer. At least he's shown he can recruit. But the pressure to win will be tremendous.

Reaction Score
Got a chance to tour the dook campus and Cameron Indoor earlier this year while gameday was there for the ND football game and, while I've always (and still do) despised their basketball team, I have to admit that their campus and facilities are extremely impressive. I even got to fist-bump Grant Hill as he was casually walking down the street eating an ice cream cone.

Along with all the media exposure and top draft picks over the past decade, it's honestly no wonder why recruits line up to play there regardless of who the coach is.
I was able to attend a Duke game 2 years ago and the greatest thing about Cameron is the bball/ sports museum attached to the arena. It’s absolutely beautiful. It made me think omg we can do the exact same thing because we have the hardware and history to do something similar. But it won’t be cheap and that’s the problem. Idk what it looks like now, but years and years ago I went to the UConn sports museum and it was a total dud.

Reaction Score
This thread is pretty funny. Duke won 27 games, and won the ACC tourney last year (his first.)

So after a rough stretch in NOVEMBER/DECEMBER!? many have the guy as a failure. Seems like everyone totally forgets that between December 31, and January 18 last year the good guys lost five of six.

The season is about where you are heading into March not where you are in December.

Reaction Score
This thread is pretty funny. Duke won 27 games, and won the ACC tourney last year (his first.)

So after a rough stretch in NOVEMBER/DECEMBER!? many have the guy as a failure. Seems like everyone totally forgets that between December 31, and January 18 last year the good guys lost five of six.

The season is about where you are heading into March not where you are in December.
Isn’t it about who you are in March? And early April?

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why we aren't in on V.J. Edgecombe. We're an elite program and have a much bigger need than the schools he's considering. I hope our staff reingages with him and snatches him at the end like happened with Deandre Daniels in the past.

caw

Reaction Score

His OOC record against NCAA quality teams is mediocre at best. The ACC was pretty poor last year and he lost the first tough NCAAT game they had.

Reaction Score
Duke is a great school, your brother is fortunate to have attended. That was not my point. Duke modeled their neo-gothic buildings after several Ivy institutions including Yale, Princeton, etc (who modeled theirs after Oxford). At the time Duke was building their Gothic revival campus, they had a limited budget relative to their Ivy peers so they achieved a similar look by cutting corners (different, less expensive stone and less intricate facades for one). So while it is clearly an example of collegiate revival, the buildings are noticeably different from those that served as inspiration. This does not make it less of a school. I have the same observation of UM’s or BC’s gothic buildings.
Quite the contrary @auggie22, Duke and its buildings have a uniqueness and beauty all its own simply because just like the Ivy League schools up north, Duke was built and constructed with local materials. In Duke’s case those local materials were metamorphic mica schist rocks which are quite beautiful and in my opinion (and the opinion of many others) put the drab granite used up north by Ivy League schools, to shame. Metamorphic mica schist in the quarries around Durham have brilliant blue, brown and yellow hues, and because of the school, today is commonly known as “Duke” stone.

IMG_0589.jpeg
IMG_0588.jpeg

Most everything on campus was originally built from this beautiful stone that came from local quarries. It really makes the school unique. If you think this is less expensive stone nowadays, then I have a bridge to sell you. If you want to lump yourself with jerks like @boba and want to pass this off as imitation then I don’t know what to say.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quite the contrary @auggie22, Duke and its buildings have a uniqueness and beauty all its own simply because just like the Ivy League schools up north, Duke was built and constructed with local materials. In Duke’s case those local materials were metamorphic mica schist rocks which are quite beautiful and in my opinion (and the opinion of many others) put the drab granite used up north by Ivy League schools, to shame. Metamorphic mica schist in the quarries around Durham have brilliant blue, brown and yellow hues, and because of the school, today is commonly known as “Duke” stone.

View attachment 93860 View attachment 93861

Most everything on campus was originally built from this beautiful stone that came from local quarries. It really makes the school unique. If you think this is less expensive stone nowadays, then I have a bridge to sell you. If you want to lump yourself with jerks like @boba and want to pass this off as imitation then I don’t know what to say.

This is the funniest post of the season. You’re taking this awfully personally. There’s no shame in being a knock off Princeton without the charming town around it.

Reaction Score
This is the funniest post of the season. You’re taking this awfully personally. There’s no shame in being a knock off Princeton without the charming town around it.
What’s funny about it? They built with what materials they had locally. GFY

Reaction Score
Priorities.

“One Hop This Time”

That‘s really cool….

Also, enough with the tongue bath of Duke’s campus… find a college architecture message board if you want to keep spending your time telling the world how great Duke’s campus is…. you made a point about the campus, highly doubt it matters to one and dones and continuing to try and drive the point home to a bunch of UConn basketball fans just isn’t gonna end well (you’re asking for it at this point)

Duke’s buildings got nothing on Arjona and Monteith is my take

Last edited:
Reaction Score

View attachment 93860 View attachment 93861

Your post is full of schist!

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Did a Duke tour while on a biz trip a few years ago. Was underwhelmed by their campus. The buildings look like knock-offs, not because of their age, but because they were done cheaply. If you walk the Yale campus you would see that Duke and Yale share some architectural themes, but the big difference is the Yale buildings look regal and authentic (even the brand new college). Duke looks like if Disney were to build a typical college campus. Enough details to spark the imagination but not enough to withstand close inspection. They would be better off going the way of chapel hill (a MUCH nicer campus) - the older buildings and landscape feel authentic.
I realize it isn't a claim you are making, but the idea that the authenticity of the architecture at Duke matters one iota to a 5* 18-year old is ludicrous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom