Why do top recruits want to play for Jon Scheyer? | The Boneyard

Why do top recruits want to play for Jon Scheyer?

Reaction Score
I don’t get it. He has had an unbelievably talented group of players and done nothing to develop their skills, and his teams have been an incredible disappointment. How does a team made up of 10 players with pro potential lose to a awful Georgia Tech team? UMass Lowell beat Georgia Tech.

Reaction Score
To me they want to play for dook. Their home games are intoxicating to a recruit. With continuous media coverage/NBA scouting and blue blood pedigree its not far fetched for them to recruit well.

It's like asking a wealthy man why he gets so many pretty dates when he is so ugly.

Reaction Score
I was about to post a picture of Scheyer’s facial expressions during games, but then remembered who our coach was (who does it better Hurley or Scheyer?)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The ACC tournament championship saved him last year. If he has the same kind of season without it his contract is going to look really premature.

Hell, Ollie had to win a national championship to earn his extension lmaooo

Reaction Score
It’s the Duke mystique, playing in Cameron, and being a part of the Duke family that includes many NBA players (wonder how involved they’ll be with the program going forward without K around). And I’m sure Duke will always have more than enough NIL via donors alone. It’ll be about 5 more years until kids graduating from high school never watched Duke when K was coaching. The mystique may not wear off completely, but it will over time.

Reaction Score
To me they want to play for dook. Their home games are intoxicating to a recruit. With continuous media coverage/NBA scouting and blue blood pedigree its not far fetched for them to recruit well.

It's like asking a wealthy man why he gets so many pretty dates when he is so ugly.
This. Has little to nothing to do w Scheyer. It’s the place and the force-fed exposure.

caw

Reaction Score
Winning is secondary to many 5* recruits. Exposure and $. There's a machine behind Duke that convinces kids that the program is the best place to develop for the league. Blame the adults in the room.

And that is why I don’t think Duke needs to be feared by anyone right now.

Reaction Score
Got a chance to tour the dook campus and Cameron Indoor earlier this year while gameday was there for the ND football game and, while I've always (and still do) despised their basketball team, I have to admit that their campus and facilities are extremely impressive. I even got to fist-bump Grant Hill as he was casually walking down the street eating an ice cream cone.

Along with all the media exposure and top draft picks over the past decade, it's honestly no wonder why recruits line up to play there regardless of who the coach is.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I was about to post a picture of Scheyer’s facial expressions during games, but then remembered who our coach was (who does it better Hurley or Scheyer?)
But Scheyer looks confused. Hurley either looks angry or crazy and both of those looks trump confused.

Reaction Score
K coat tails. Duke is a prestigious institution academically. They have pretty nice moderate weather, a beautiful campus.
Their past success combined with all that led to unbelievable recruiting and rosters which IMO have underperformed despite 5 titles. You don’t hear that in the media, especially ESPN who carries their water. You wonder how long it lasts.

Reaction Score
The ACC tournament championship saved him last year. If he has the same kind of season without it his contract is going to look really premature.

Hell, Ollie had to win a national championship to earn his extension lmaooo
congrats to Scheyer winning the ACC tournament championship, seriously it's big accomplishment to win a conference tournament. But an important footnote to that is when Duke beat Miami Norchand Omier got injured the first minute of that game and couldn't play the rest of the game. Omier was so important to that team last year.

Reaction Score
They want to play for Duke (or what Duke used to be). Unfortunately for them, they have to play for Scheyer to do it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's entirely about Duke, and the exposure they know they'll receive by playing there. Once they started recruiting one and domes they've had a few who due to any of a few reasons (injuries, not being ready at 18 to face equal competition with more experience, etc.) after doing little their one year at Duke were still among the top few players picked in the draft.

It is kind of difficult for a kid to turn down the idea of spending a year as a campus hero, he'll get drafted very early regardless of what he does on the court.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don’t get it. He has had an unbelievably talented group of players and done nothing to develop their skills, and his teams have been an incredible disappointment. How does a team made up of 10 players with pro potential lose to a awful Georgia Tech team? UMass Lowell beat Georgia Tech.

As others have mentioned, they're committing to Duke.

If Scheyer doesn't win games, recruits that ordinarily would have been a Duke lock (e.g., top-10 6'9" white guys) will look elsewhere.

We don't have to look very far to see an example of that.

Reaction Score

Allegedly: Blue Blood, NIL, NBA prospective, provenance, potential NCAA championship run.

With that said, these top recruits are going to go where the NIL money is. If they want to make a run at a championship, I think they’ll way out there options more.

Reaction Score
With that said, these top recruits are going to go where the NIL money is.

This old fart remembers when recruits followed the pretty women. Seriously though, that mattered back then.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
This old fart remembers when recruits followed the pretty women. Seriously though, that mattered back then.
And now they are rich with all the pretty women around. 19 years old making $1mil a year and still going to classes. Can you imagine what kind of parties we would have had in college in the 80’s if we were already making a million a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom