Why do top recruits want to play for Jon Scheyer? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Why do top recruits want to play for Jon Scheyer?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I heard that is the most beautiful campus in the country. Isnt it in Malibu?
Yes. One of my sons lives near there. It isn’t so much that the campus buildings and all are beautiful - nice enough - but the setting up a long hillside from the Pacific Coast Highway and sweeping views of the ocean. And the weather is usually nice, just an odd wildfire or earthquake to keep you on your toes.

Reaction Score

The campus itself looks like a Kaiser Permanente crossed with an Embassy Suites. But yeah, it's on a hill off the PCH with 180 degree views of the Pacific.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I heard that is the most beautiful campus in the country.
I used to work in a sales job selling IT to colleges so I’ve been to hundreds. It’s either USD or Pepperdine imo.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
One problem with him even a dummy like me can see is he is horrible at making adjustments.
Funny thing is, there were more than a few blowhards here saying the same about Dan, what, 18 months ago. Bad in-game coach, not an Xs & Os coach. So it goes

Reaction Score
It’s the Duke mystique, playing in Cameron, and being a part of the Duke family that includes many NBA players (wonder how involved they’ll be with the program going forward without K around). And I’m sure Duke will always have more than enough NIL via donors alone. It’ll be about 5 more years until kids graduating from high school never watched Duke when K was coaching. The mystique may not wear off completely, but it will over time.
No it’s not the Duke mystique at all, it’s because they don’t have to play half their home games 25 miles from campus in a broken down city arena. :p

Reaction Score
Funny thing is, there were more than a few blowhards here saying the same about Dan, what, 18 months ago. Bad in-game coach, not an Xs & Os coach. So it goes

Dan changed the Xs and Os last year. Remember, Hurley had never coached at this level until he came to UConn. It was natural to expect he would need some seasoning and learning on the job. He is not the same guy he was a couple of seasons ago. He has blended his fire and passion with a slightly more tempered approach and augmented his defense with a smart and sophisticated offense. He has become one of the best coaches in the country.

Regardless, the Boneyard will never be long on patience and reactionary takes. So it goes.

Reaction Score
No it’s not the Duke mystique at all, it’s because they don’t have to play half their home games 25 miles from campus in a broken down city arena. :p
the sopranos hbo GIF

Reaction Score
True but its a bad comparison because DH had a proven track record of success at two other schools. Scheyer is wet behind the ears. Im judging him on the now. He could turn out to be great but hes learning on the. job and Dook really isnt the place to do that. Didnt work out for Ollie in the long run and he was easily more successful from jump.

Reaction Score
Pepperdine is in a beautiful location but the campus design and architecture is regular. Not special.

Reaction Score
True but its a bad comparison because DH had a proven track record of success at two other schools. Scheyer is wet behind the ears. Im judging him on the now. He could turn out to be great but hes learning on the. job and Dook really isnt the place to do that. Didnt work out for Ollie in the long run and he was easily more successful from jump.
The campus is breathtakingly beautiful, the facilities are terrific, I mean any schmuck could coach and recruit the best kids to come to Duke, and come across as some kind of coaching genius.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
My comment wasn't a comparison of coaches.

Reaction Score
I used to work in a sales job selling IT to colleges so I’ve been to hundreds. It’s either USD or Pepperdine imo.
Pepperdine by far. USD is too far from the ocean.

Reaction Score
If you are a top recruit and clear NBA player like Flagg, Castle, Filipowski,... NIL should not make a difference where you go. Here's the math:

#4 draft pick salary for 3 years = $23.1 million
#10 draft pick salary for 3 years = $13.9 million

difference = $9.2 million over 3 years. And, the real payday is the next contract.

For 1 or 2 year players, player development has to be your #1 priority over NIL.

For guys like Timberlake who don't have an NBA future and have 1 year to play, it makes sense to grab a bag.

Reaction Score
Puke: where you can be 5-3 with back to back losses to Arkansas and Ga Tech, where you have zero quality wins, including one over an even sheetier Michigan State, and STILL ranked! WTF?!!

This will all pass because even the K effect will be gone faster than a toupee in a carolina hurricane.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Dan changed the Xs and Os last year. Remember, Hurley had never coached at this level until he came to UConn. It was natural to expect he would need some seasoning and learning on the job. He is not the same guy he was a couple of seasons ago. He has blended his fire and passion with a slightly more tempered approach and augmented his defense with a smart and sophisticated offense. He has become one of the best coaches in the country.

Regardless, the Boneyard will never be long on patience and reactionary takes. So it goes.
Agreed, and thanks for reinforcing my point.

Reaction Score
The campus is breathtakingly beautiful, the facilities are terrific, I mean any schmuck could coach and recruit the best kids to come to Duke, and come across as some kind of coaching genius.

On what planet is Duke’s campus “breathtakingly beautiful”? It’s literally an attempt to replicate a campus in the northeast, by their own admission. The whole place is fugazi.

Reaction Score
Winning is secondary to many 5* recruits. Exposure and $. There's a machine behind Duke that convinces kids that the program is the best place to develop for the league. Blame the adults in the room.
I think most of them assume they will win though. They may look at the current team struggling, but assume that they will win with their other 3 McDonalds All-Americans commitments.

Reaction Score
On what planet is Duke’s campus “breathtakingly beautiful”? It’s literally an attempt to replicate a campus in the northeast, by their own admission. The whole place is fugazi.
IMG_0569.jpeg
IMG_0571.jpeg

I’d attach more pictures but can only post two. Show me another ACC or SEC or northeast school that has architecture like this, AND recruits the cream of the crop EVERY year. Ok Big Ernie Crack? I guess they were trying to outdo northeast schools when they started building it in 1930. Maybe they were trying to outdo Rome?

Reaction Score
I don’t care how beautiful the campus is. The way the administration threw the. Whole la cross team under the bus based on the word of a prostitute, no child of mine would be allowed to take a scholarship there

Reaction Score
I don’t get it. He has had an unbelievably talented group of players and done nothing to develop their skills, and his teams have been an incredible disappointment. How does a team made up of 10 players with pro potential lose to an awful Georgia Tech team? UMass Lowell beat Georgia Tech.
Really, after one year and 8 games. Imagine if UConn had a coach who only made the tournament 2 x in his first 4 years and did not win a tournament game until year 5. In year 5 he still did not win the big east. We should have recognized at that point we were never going to win with that coach.

Reaction Score
Really, after one year and 8 games. Imagine if UConn had a coach who only made the tournament 2 x in his first 4 years and did not win a tournament game until year 5. In year 5 he still did not win the big east. We should have recognized at that point we were never going to win with that coach.

Because the programs were definitely in the same spot…

I’m not even that down on Scheyer and am still recovering from years of actively rooting for Duke, but you know that isn’t a great take.

Regardless, I am interested in seeing how play out for Scheyer and Neptune, who find themselves in similar spots. Jay Wright is still heavily involved and around that Villanova program, moreso than Krzyzewski at Duke, I think, which can definitely cause its own challenges.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would be possible but not likely that with the quality of Duke‘s class next season that they will not have have enough success to save his job. 2 years of not making the tourney would do it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom