Who's your list for next HC? | Page 62 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Disclaimer, I don't want UConn to hire him. But besides his agent saying so, has Golden actually been linked to a DC job? I saw one report saying that. Then everyone just regurgitates it based on one report. Like, haven't most of y'all gone to college and learned about critical thinking and to have sources to back up what you're saying.

Where has his name popped up for DC in the NFL? If it's really out there, I'll shut up.

Reaction Score
You do know that was a long time ago right? He’s been out of coaching college now for 6yrs and he turned Temple around in 2009 - 2010 he’s not a great hire. Edsall had UConn winning also the first time around how did that pan out the second time?
I understand that. I even said in another post that he wasn’t my favorite and I was concerned that his NFL time might have caused him to lose the college connection. But his record at Temple, turning around a program that hadn’t succeeded in a generation, was pretty impressive. And even at Miami he wasn’t exactly a disaster at a place that is no longer the power it was prior To joining the ACC.

Reaction Score
In considering Golden's track record at Miami, you have to consider how screwed up that program was when he took over and the NCAA penalties he operated under. I'm not sure purely looking at his record there, or disgruntled player comments, is a complete assessment of his time there.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
In considering Golden's track record at Miami, you have to consider how screwed up that program was when he took over and the NCAA penalties he operated under. I'm not sure purely looking at his record there, or disgruntled player comments, is a complete assessment of his time there.
Besides one year from Mark Richt , everyone has been the same as Golden was...Believe it's the whole athletic department..

Reaction Score

Ok I have another ...... HC Danny O for 500k with 2 mil to split among coordinators and assistants.... Guy clearly knows football and how to break down opponents etc and assuming he has connections a solid modern day OC and DC would come for the right pay.... one would be assistant HC. Seems like it could work.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score

Ok I have another ...... HC Danny O for 500k with 2 mil to split among coordinators and assistants.... Guy clearly knows football and how to break down opponents etc and assuming he has connections a solid modern day OC and DC would come for the right pay.... one would be assistant HC. Seems like it could work.

Like Danny O as OC and HC in waiting.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Al Golden is obviously a well known name but also would be a terribly underwhelming and lazy hire. Did he come up first during a google search of “former football HC who is currently not an HC?”

Reaction Score
His track record at Miami is not the issue. It is what he did after he got fired that causes hesitation. He spent 21 years as a college coach, but decided the NFL was where he wanted to be. There is a reason for that, which should make AD Dave take pause. I don’t want Golden if he is coming back for a better paycheck as he couldn’t land a DC job in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Well, If it is Golden, Temple will not be happy. Some quotes from Owl fans:

"Temple needs to jump quickly if they want Golden back. Surprised that UConn is spending the $$"

"If Temple is truly interested in Al Golden, and I think we are, Temple will match whatever UConn offers and more. Al Golden doesn't have a total rebuild as he did on first go around."

"My god, someone had better write Carey a check quick and get him a ticket out of here fast. We can't let Al Golden come back to NCAA football as a head coach for someone other than Temple. The new Pres. and AD had better be on this incredible opportunity to bring Al back."

"Al will go to UConn, he will make UConn respectable, he will get UConn invited to a P5....why, because we are Temple and that is exactly the kind of thing that would happen to Temple."
The last sentence in this rant sounds like the Temple version on UConn conference realignment Rule #1.

Reaction Score
His track record at Miami is not the issue. It is what he did after he got fired that causes hesitation. He spent 21 years as a college coach, but decided the NFL was where he wanted to be. There is a reason for that, which should make AD Dave take pause. I don’t want Golden if he is coming back for a better paycheck as he couldn’t land a DC job in the NFL.
pretty sure he said he was burnt out

Reaction Score
You know if the New Big East had guts they would approach Temple about joining. They won’t because Villanova won’t want it, but they are really natural rivals and would bring some juice to the league. Plus on the football front it would be helpful to us.

Reaction Score
Besides one year from Mark Richt , everyone has been the same as Golden was...Believe it's the whole athletic department..
My gut is that is an institution thing at Miami. Shalala et al hated the reputation they had in the 1990s. Whoever is the coach then (and now) there has to deal with the backlash.

Reaction Score
You know if the New Big East had guts they would approach Temple about joining. They won’t because Villanova won’t want it, but they are really natural rivals and would bring some juice to the league. Plus on the football front it would be helpful to us.
Yes.

Then I get carried away. Add Temple, Buffalo, UMass; Georgetown, Nova and Butler rise up to FBS. Need 1 more all in program, maybe the Johnnies are interested. 14 and 8. The Big East Football Conference. :)

Reaction Score
Yes.

Then I get carried away. Add Temple, Buffalo, UMass; Georgetown, Nova and Butler rise up to FBS. Need 1 more all in program, maybe the Johnnies are interested. 14 and 8. The Big East Football Conference. :)
Never happen, but I like it.

Reaction Score
Dan O if people have watched his analysis of offenses on ESPN is way more than ready to be an OC. And if he really wanted it he would be a HC candidate as he must have an idea of who could be a good college DC, and he would be recognized by high school players from his media role so he would be able to have an impact recruiting. And he would bring the positive energy in a big way. As for Golden he has been able to turn things around in 2 college gigs. He knows full well what we have as assets to be a successful football program. I have to believe he is not looking to grab the $ we need to offer to stop the sucking and if he is truly interested he sees a challenge and an opportunity. I liked Golden as coach at Temple. More than the king of boredom and stiffness Edsall. The Kent St coach has got something going that we do not have. An offense that can answer and make the games fun to be at. If you want students at games you have to give them something that is entertaining which is touchdowns! As a 64 yo I would love to see us win 48-42. Good luck AD Dave.

Reaction Score
Dan O if people have watched his analysis of offenses on ESPN is way more than ready to be an OC. And if he really wanted it he would be a HC candidate as he must have an idea of who could be a good college DC, and he would be recognized by high school players from his media role so he would be able to have an impact recruiting. And he would bring the positive energy in a big way. As for Golden he has been able to turn things around in 2 college gigs. He knows full well what we have as assets to be a successful football program. I have to believe he is not looking to grab the $ we need to offer to stop the sucking and if he is truly interested he sees a challenge and an opportunity. I liked Golden as coach at Temple. More than the king of boredom and stiffness Edsall. The Kent St coach has got something going that we do not have. An offense that can answer and make the games fun to be at. If you want students at games you have to give them something that is entertaining which is touchdowns! As a 64 yo I would love to see us win 48-42. Good luck AD Dave.

Does he have the management and leadership skills that one would expect of an OC?

Even if he did. He’s living the good life flying first or private around the country talking for a living. Why on earth would he give that up for a job where you actually have stress and must deliver results?

Reaction Score
Golden had a lot of issues at Miami, but two really stood out to me. First was his unwavering loyalty to Mark Donofrio. That guy rolled out horrific defenses and Golden refused to part ways with him. He actually recruited some talent on that side of the ball and it showed when Diaz arrived as the defensive coordinator and actually put in an attacking defense. The second issue was that he was a very passive coach, meaning that he pretty much played "not to lose". You can't win by being conservative, but he coached every game as if he was the underdog team looking to hang in and steal a win. Maybe he is just better suited for a job that is out of the spotlight, but I don't know. The guy just came off as pretty weak to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom