Who's your list for next HC? | Page 61 | The Boneyard

Who's your list for next HC?

Reaction Score
Golden would not be a poor hire - experience recruiting in northeast Pennsylvania and Florida - he is a very good coach. Would not upset me at all.

Reaction Score
Well, If it is Golden, Temple will not be happy. Some quotes from Owl fans:

"Temple needs to jump quickly if they want Golden back. Surprised that UConn is spending the $$"

"If Temple is truly interested in Al Golden, and I think we are, Temple will match whatever UConn offers and more. Al Golden doesn't have a total rebuild as he did on first go around."

"My god, someone had better write Carey a check quick and get him a ticket out of here fast. We can't let Al Golden come back to NCAA football as a head coach for someone other than Temple. The new Pres. and AD had better be on this incredible opportunity to bring Al back."

"Al will go to UConn, he will make UConn respectable, he will get UConn invited to a P5....why, because we are Temple and that is exactly the kind of thing that would happen to Temple."

Reaction Score

"Temple needs to jump quickly if they want Golden back. Surprised that UConn is spending the $$"

"If Temple is truly interested in Al Golden, and I think we are, Temple will match whatever UConn offers and more. Al Golden doesn't have a total rebuild as he did on first go around."

"My god, someone had better write Carey a check quick and get him a ticket out of here fast. We can't let Al Golden come back to NCAA football as a head coach for someone other than Temple. The new Pres. and AD had better be on this incredible opportunity to bring Al back."

"Al will go to UConn, he will make UConn respectable, he will get UConn invited to a P5....why, because we are Temple and that is exactly the kind of thing that would happen to Temple."

Begs the question why didn't Temple hire him 3 years ago when their coach went to GTech?

The powers that be must not have been enamored with Golden then.

Reaction Score
Begs the question why didn't Temple hire him 3 years ago when their coach went to GTech?

The powers that be must not have been enamored with Golden then.
Or Golden had no interest in returning to the college game. He hasn’t landed a dc position in the NFL, so he may have renewed HC interest.

Reaction Score
Or Golden had no interest in returning to the college game. He hasn’t landed a dc position in the NFL, so he may have renewed HC interest.

If true that would be a huge red flag for me. Obviously we are just speculating. More than likely Temple wasn't interested.

Reaction Score

Gosh, they sound just like us in many ways.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure there is one good way to pick our next coach, but I know what a bad way is, and it would be listing any similarity you can find to one of our failed coaches and then start disqualifying candidates because x or y or z.

You want someone who hasn't been hidden in the NFL for 6 years, fine. Perfectly rational. But that shouldn't be because that's what P did and he failed here. Because then we can just play seven degrees of Kevin Bacon and eliminate everyone.
Had P hired literally anyone but GDL for OC he would have had a relative successful stint here. But he was loyal to his friend. I respect that. Was a stupid move, but respectable.

Reaction Score
Gosh, they sound just like us in many ways.

Complete opposite of us. They want their old coach back, whereas the majority here are willing to reject Holtz outright just because he had a successful tenure here all the while ignoring the dozen things Golden has in common with PP.

Reaction Score
He was 27-34 at Temple but keep in mind that Temple had had 3 winning seasons since 1980 and none since 1990, when he arrived. 1-11 in year 1, 4-8, 5-7, 9-4, 8-4. He rebuilt the program and the image.

I‘d love a splash hire, but I would rather a competent hire.
You do know that was a long time ago right? He’s been out of coaching college now for 6yrs and he turned Temple around in 2009 - 2010 he’s not a great hire. Edsall had UConn winning also the first time around how did that pan out the second time?

Reaction Score
We had the usual plethora of “connect the dot” names thrown out by the mainstream CFB media after Edsall left then radio silence about candidates till two rumors this week by On3 - Holtz and Golden (which at least someone in the process confirmed to Amore that the interest was at least mutual). I have a hard time believing those are the only two candidates for the job @ this point in time. There are leverage games and timing of seasons in play.

Now, I can be proven wrong in the end but it would seem real strange for AD Dave to tie his career cart to Al Golden (and overall IMO Golden would be in the middle of a pack of realistic choices for me - some better/some worse).
Exactly well said

Reaction Score
Complete opposite of us. They want their old coach back, whereas the majority here are willing to reject Holtz outright just because he had a successful tenure here all the while ignoring the dozen things Golden has in common with PP.
I was referring to the desperate tone and level of anguish.

Reaction Score

Are they just trying to get UConn to hire him? Or do they truly respect him like Schiano/ Rutgers. Him or Holtz wouldn’t be my favorites but if they have a solid plan and are enthusiastic to be here?

Reaction Score
Are they just trying to get UConn to hire him? Or do they truly respect him like Schiano/ Rutgers. Him or Holtz wouldn’t be my favorites but if they have a solid plan and are enthusiastic to be here?
There are many differences between Edsall and Golden. Main one is that Golden was always respected from each fan base hes been too. He never burned Temple. This is a guy who would actually get respect from the high school ranks.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Ill take 20th and 40th. Northeast guy with exciting offense? Sign me up.
that's 20th and 40th with UCLA players. His recruiting is also horrible. He's averaging 20 spots lower than UCLA's previous coaches. UCLA was getting top 10, top 15 classes. He's been in the 30s.

I'm also not sure if you've seen UCLA play but they do not run an "exciting" offense.

I wouldn't hate it, but I also don't think it would work out.

Reaction Score
Why would Golden leave to come here when he's in line to become a DC in the NFL relatively soon? His name has started popping up.

I wouldn't be thrilled if Golden was hired. I wouldn't be disappointed either. I would be indifferent. He doesn't move the needle for me. But I'm only one fan. I'm going to support whoever AD Dave hires regardless. I'm 100% getting season tickets next year too. So hopefully Moorhead or Cignetti or Lewis will be on the sidelines.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom