Who will guard Siegrist | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who will guard Siegrist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I’m thinking the teams we’ll have to go through all have top players. All Americans. Example Sabaly for Oregon, the SC center and the Louisville guard.
Don’t we want to have someone to greet these players at the opening tip?
Aubrey starting. Set the tone. Frustrate the opponents stars. Bring Anna of Evina in for steadiness, ball handling and long range shooting. Start the game nasty on the defensive end and get running and finishing around the hoop.
She doesn’t have to finish the game but she could start it,
Sabally an All American? This is the first year she's played. Sister Satou is in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Sabally an All American? This is the first year she's played. Sister Satou is in the WNBA.
Oops. Like we were talking about guarding Lauren Cox in a thread last week. My bad. I still hold to my overall premise

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well judging from the competition and it appears nobody else on Nova is steppin up all we have to do is put somebody on Maddy and box her out and thats it. Classic one player does all the scoring and in college you cant beat good teams with one scorer. UConn will by by 30+

Reaction Score
Aubrey Griffin, as a Senior at Ossining High School, in the NYSPHSAA Section 1 Finals, against Maddy Siegrist and her Our Lady of Lourdes HS Team, scored 46 points with 9 rebounds in a Tournament MVP Performance that game and out-dueled Maddy in that game, although Maddy had 27 Points, 15 Rebounds, and 4 assists in that game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think the question will be all year "who can guard Paige" Paige is great now before the year is over and over the 4 years she will be a SuperStar. I will say right now she will be FOY and POY. There aint nobody better. You wanna Dream Big and some of you already have. Wait til next year. OMG will it be a show.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It’s a team concept. First they will deny entry passes to her favorite spots. I believe Anna gets her around the top of the key and begins to force her away from her spots. Make her get the ball where she doesn’t usually get it. Whoever is guarding her, again Anna, will sell out the defensive rebounds to block her out. Lastly everyone will know where she is to help out.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Geno is challenging someone to step up defensively and be the stopper. As I said earlier, I bet E will want to take up that challenge, but will she be physically able to? I sure hope so. If she can stifle Villanova's big gun, it would a huge confidence boost for her, and be great for the team today and down the road.

“She [Siegrist] is really talented,” Auriemma said. “She’s got a lot of ways to beat you. And that’s going to be really good for us because we have to be able to identify who’s going to guard who, and we have to identify who can shut down somebody on the other team without needing help every time down the floor. I don’t know that we’ve identified that yet.”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno, who we all know is sly like a fox, has been complaining that his team, currently 4th in the nation in ppg allowed as well as opponents shooting percentage, is not a good defensive team.

It’s his way of challenging them to up their defensive effort even more against the leading scorer in the BE. I could be wrong, but I really anticipate that Maddy Siegrist is going to have a tough game vs the Huskies defense, which will be all over her tonight.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A more interesting question is WHO WILL GUARD ONO? Villanova's tallest player is 6'4" Kylie Swider, a freshman. Siegrist and Sarah Mortenson at 6'1" are their tallest starters. I don't make many guarantees, but I'll make one today.

I "guarantee" you that Villanova is more concerned about UConn than UConn is about them.
Massey sez UConn wins this one 74-59. Drexel held Siegrist to 11 points, and the team to 48 points on Dec 13.
I think UConn is at least as good as Drexel. I'm NOT saying UConn will hold them below 50, just that they will hand the Wildcats their first loss of the season.

Unless Swider is guarding her, I don't want to see ONO shooting any fade away jumpers in the paint. Go straight up!!! Nobody (on this team) 4" shorter than you is going to block your shot! :mad: ONO should have a field day tonight!!!

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geno, who we all know is sly like a fox, has been complaining that his team, currently 4th in the nation in ppg allowed as well as opponents shooting percentage, is not a good defensive team.

It’s his way of challenging them to up their defensive effort even more against the leading scorer in the BE. I could be wrong, but I really anticipate that Maddy Siegrist is going to have a tough game vs the Huskies defense, which will be all over her tonight.

.....Like "stink" on a dead man. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A more interesting question is WHO WILL GUARD ONO? Villanova's tallest player is 6'4" Kylie Swider, a freshman. Siegrist and Sarah Mortenson at 6'1" are their tallest starters.

Unless Swider is guarding her, I don't want to see ONO shooting any fade away jumpers in the paint. Go straight up!!! Nobody (on this team) 4" shorter than you is going to block your shot! :mad:
So far Swider is only playing mop up minutes for Nova. So Liv will be guarded by someone 4” shorter.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well judging from the competition and it appears nobody else on Nova is steppin up all we have to do is put somebody on Maddy and box her out and thats it. Classic one player does all the scoring and in college you cant beat good teams with one scorer. UConn will by by 30+

My point exactly!!! They have one player that can score, we have 7. I see Geno going with a short rotation this game until it's in the refrigerator (an old chick Hearn euphemism. Chick, after the Lakers had put away another game during the show time era: "The game is in the refrigerator folks. The eggs are cooling, and the butter is getting hard". :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
... like the past few years there hasn't been the lockdown defenders? Players like Evans from Louisville, the player from Seton Hall, etc. can get buckets nowadays..just hope that can be fixed by tourney time.

Hold on, let's present some facts before spewing out hypothesizes that are fundamentally incorrect.
1. Evans played us twice as a sophomore, Asia Durr was the star of that team, the UConn focus was on her. In the 1st game 2 years ago that Louisville won at home, Evans had 4 assists and 20 points. In game 2 in the regional final (elite 8), UConn won and Evans had 0 assists, 2 turnovers and 7 measly points.
2. Park-Lane was an unheard of sophomore before the UConn game. In SH 3 prior games she had not even been the top scorer-Jackson and Elmore were. Yes she scorched UConn individually but let's not lose sight we won 92-65.
UConn as almost always been able to mitigate the other teams scorers, we have lacked clutch shooting in timely spots of games to win a title since 2016. Chong missed a shot in 2017, Kia miss shots (4 of 13) against ND in 2018 and Arike hit a big shot. In 2019, KLS struggled from 3 pt land going 3-10.
Not sure the data supports your premise.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Now regarding Siegrist, she's been a wonderful player for 'Nova but all of her 2 years of stats have not been against ANY P5 or UConn quality opponents. The best team Villanova played of their 7 games is Creighton, which they won 73-68. We just beat Creighton 80-47.

I am not overly worried about Maddy Siegrist and the way some of you are posting, she's a combo of Candace Parker and Diana Taurasi. She's not, she's 6'1" and if Geno deems that Liv can guard her, I trust him, if he deems Evina can guard, I trust him or if Geno deems Aubrey needs to figure out what flavor gum she chews, I trust him.

The real question is, how does Villanova stop Paige, CW, ONO, Anna, Aaliyah and Evina on offense???

My goodness brethren, this is little ole Villanova, not the twin towers of Cox and Brown....jeesh...

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Now regarding Siegrist, she's been a wonderful player for 'Nova but all of her 2 years of stats have not been against ANY P5 or UConn quality opponents. The best team Villanova played of their 7 games is Creighton, which they won 73-68. We just beat Creighton 80-47.

I am not overly worried about Maddy Siegrist and the way some of you are posting, she's a combo of Candace Parker and Diana Taurasi. She's not, she's 6'1" and if Geno deems that Liv can guard her, I trust him, if he deems Evina can guard, I trust him or if Geno deems Aubrey needs to figure out what flavor gum she chews, I trust him.

The real question is, how does Villanova stop Paige, CW, ONO, Anna, Aaliyah and Evina on offense???

My goodness brethren, this little ole Villanova, not the twin towers of Cox and Brown....jeesh...
Yes, but the BY has to talk about something between games. I personally blame this all on Geno, who went out of his way to sing Siegrist’s praises during his Xavier postgame comments, all while forcing himself not to wink or nod......;)

Reaction Score
Whether Villanova can handle us isn't the preparation question for UConn. I agree with Geno that this situation with Villanova and Seigrist is a really good opportunity for the team to execute a lockdown strategy for an opposing star player. This opportunity gives them a ptactice situation that can help them be prepared for a similar situation down the line. It's all about getting better. It isn't about Villanova per see.

Reaction Score
Why double her? One player isn't going to out score the entire UConn team. Besides, if Uconn can't guard her man-to-man without doubling her, what are they going to do when they play top level competition?
We have a rich history of not needing dounless or any special D to stop high scorers/key stars. Predicting she gets shellacked by everyone...man-to-man.

Reaction Score
Hold on, let's present some facts before spewing out hypothesizes that are fundamentally incorrect.
1. Evans played us twice as a sophomore, Asia Durr was the star of that team, the UConn focus was on her. In the 1st game 2 years ago that Louisville won at home, Evans had 4 assists and 20 points. In game 2 in the regional final (elite 8), UConn won and Evans had 0 assists, 2 turnovers and 7 measly points.
2. Park-Lane was an unheard of sophomore before the UConn game. In SH 3 prior games she had not even been the top scorer-Jackson and Elmore were. Yes she scorched UConn individually but let's not lose sight we won 92-65.
UConn as almost always been able to mitigate the other teams scorers, we have lacked clutch shooting in timely spots of games to win a title since 2016. Chong missed a shot in 2017, Kia miss shots (4 of 13) against ND in 2018 and Arike hit a big shot. In 2019, KLS struggled from 3 pt land going 3-10.
Not sure the data supports your premise.
To me it’s more of a team thing rather than not having individual lockdown defenders.
The philosophy that I came up with, D3 nice program, was pressure on the ball, hands in the passing lanes, front the posts, no switching on screens, do not allow players to cross the lane, and help. UConn does not front post, minimal pressure on ball, not in passing lanes, and we switch all screens. Oh and our help side has been abysmal this year, hence we give up open layups.

Reaction Score

My goodness brethren, this is little ole Villanova, not the twin towers of Cox and Brown....jeesh...
I understand from reading the BY, that this Geno guy is a pretty good coach.

psconn

Reaction Score

Classic use of a "Strawman" logical fallacy. Literally NO ONE has suggested that Villanova is capable of shutting down our team, or has any players even close to those greats you mentioned (heck, at this point we don't either). The score prediction thread confirms that folks think we're going to win going away.

Soxfan23 thinks Siegrist is as good a scorer as we'll face this season, but I didn't see a lot of folks jumping onto that bandwagon.

What Villanova has is a pretty decent D1 scorer in Siegrist and (especially after we made Park-Lane look like an AA) people are interested in seeing who can step up and try to fill the lockdown role once occupied by Kia and Gabby. Geno is looking for this player also with an eye down the road toward tougher competition. Siegrist may not be DT but she's all we have for now.

Always good to take every opponent seriously... that's how you go 118-0 in AAC play.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Classic use of a "Strawman" logical fallacy. Literally NO ONE has suggested that Villanova is capable of shutting down our team, or has any players even close to those greats you mentioned (heck, at this point we don't either). The score prediction thread confirms that folks think we're going to win going away.

Soxfan23 thinks Siegrist is as good a scorer as we'll face this season, but I didn't see a lot of folks jumping onto that bandwagon.

What Villanova has is a pretty decent D1 scorer in Siegrist and (especially after we made Park-Lane look like an AA) people are interested in seeing who can step up and try to fill the lockdown role once occupied by Kia and Gabby. Geno is looking for this player also with an eye down the road toward tougher competition. Siegrist may not be DT but she's all we have for now.

Always good to take every opponent seriously... that's how you go 118-0 in AAC play.
Actually I believe it was 139-0 in AAC play, counting the AAC tournament, and with a win tonight they will tie the record of consecutive Conference wins of 143 by the Texas Longhorns if my math is correct.

psconn

Reaction Score
Actually I believe it was 139-0 in AAC play, counting the AAC tournament, and with a win tonight they will tie the record of consecutive Conference wins of 143 by the Texas Longhorns if my math is correct.
OK, but before you get to 139-0 you have to be 118-0, right? ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog