Who will guard Siegrist | The Boneyard

Who will guard Siegrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wanted to see some highlights of Siegrist but all I found was this limited quality video from last year

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Siegrist is a forward, with some size, and Nova's leading rebounder. So while Evina may well get the initial defensive assignment, I would not be surprised if Anna gets the call in order to better keep Siegrist off the boards. Whoever gets the initial assignment, I fully agree that Aubrey will get her turn guarding Siegrist, and that should be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
My bet is Evina. Then Aubrey. I would double her. What do you think
I think as she drives to the hoop she will find that long arm of Liv awaiting her. That's what I meant as more help than a double. My bad

Reaction Score
Why double her? One player isn't going to out score the entire UConn team. Besides, if Uconn can't guard her man-to-man without doubling her, what are they going to do when they play top level competition?

Siegrist is as good of a scorer as virtually ANYBODY UConn will face this year!

Reaction Score
Siegrist is a forward, with some size, and Nova's leading rebounder. So while Evina may well get the initial defensive assignment, I would not be surprised if Anna gets the call in order to better keep Siegrist off the boards. Whoever gets the initial assignment, I fully agree that Aubrey will get her turn guarding Siegrist, and that should be fun to watch.

I'm not sure Makurat has the speed to defend Siegrist, I worry about her getting put on an island in iso sets. Siegrist will be able to get to the rim at will against Makurat.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
A serious question?

> Siegrist is 6' 1" and their tallest player.
> She lives off rebounding, where she had 8 offensive against Creighton.
> And 11 on the defensive end.
> Then, 10 points off free throws.
> Shoots the 3, where she was 2 for 7.

Here's her stat line vs UCONN:

> Rebounds: 5 Defensive; 3 Offensive
> Free throws: 3 for 4
> 2pt: 6 of 17, for 12 points
> 3pt: 1 for 3
> Total points: 18

> AND, she fowls out early fourth

Anyone seriously disagree?

I'm waiting....
:)

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Makurat has the speed to defend Siegrist, I worry about her getting put on an island in iso sets. Siegrist will be able to get to the rim at will against Makurat.
I agree with you about her quickness or lack of but she does use her size to get in front of all but the quick guards. I am sure Geno has something cooked up for her and I can't wait to see what he does.

Reaction Score
Siegrist is as good of a scorer as virtually ANYBODY UConn will face this year!
So this will be a good game to figure out how to guard someone man-to man without a double team. Uconn needs to figure it out before march. Also, if I were UConn I would prevent everybody else on Villanova from scoring and let Siegrist try to score her average (which she won't against Uconn). Anyway you slice it, UConn wins by a lot.

Reaction Score
I watched her play for Our Lady of Lourdes in high school and she is a capable but streaky outside shooter...........actually a really tough, determined UConn kind of player............I can't remember if Aubrey played against her in the NY State playoffs but I am sure she has seen her play before so she knows her strengths and weaknesses.......

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is still Harry's team for the most part, meaning she's not the only one who will throw up 3s. They are small and it's safer for them out there.

Reaction Score
Evina with some Aubrey mixed in. If she causes foul trouble you may see some zone or box and one as well or some form of it. They are a small team so Siegrist will be tested on defense and rebounding by ONO, AE and Aubrey. I see the ball going underneath a lot to ONO and AE and Aubrey on offense also in order to put the pressure on her defensively. Making a scorer concentrate on defense is one of the oldest approaches to slowing that scorer down.

Reaction Score
Why double her? One player isn't going to out score the entire UConn team. Besides, if Uconn can't guard her man-to-man without doubling her, what are they going to do when they play top level competition?
Don't double her, just ask for help as in "the communicate, "talk to each other recommendations." If she's their go to, down low scorer, and she's making a dent, double her. Better that than getting in foul trouble.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is still Harry's team for the most part, meaning she's not the only one who will throw up 3s. They are small and it's safer for them out there.
Wow, it's not like they're going to get beaten up or anything...:rolleyes:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
A serious question?

> Siegrist is 6' 1" and their tallest player.
> She lives off rebounding, where she had 8 offensive against Creighton.
> And 11 on the defensive end.
> Then, 10 points off free throws.
> Shoots the 3, where she was 2 for 7.

Here's her stat line vs UCONN:

> Rebounds: 5 Defensive; 3 Offensive
> Free throws: 3 for 4
> 2pt: 6 of 17, for 12 points
> 3pt: 1 for 3
> Total points: 18

> AND, she fowls out early fourth

Anyone seriously disagree?

I'm waiting....
:)
Actually they have a 6'4" Freshman named Swider.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno has seen this stuff before. I think either Evina (who is playing stellar defense to date) or AG will guard her straight up. If it becomes even a little issue Geno will just face guard her with either. If that doesn't work then he'll use "junk" defenses to limit her. Just ask Jewel Loyd how much she learned from Geno about attacking different defenses.

Reaction Score
I agree that Evina will be the first line of defense and Aubrey will take over when she comes in. I think Anna would be the second line help with Liv to get rebounds before Siegrist does.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Is it me or is it that UConn has no issues guarding the 5'6" or taller players but the little ones like William from MSU and Parker-Lane from Seton Hall (and maybe Aari McDonald from AZ) seem to scoot by and score?

Reaction Score
I think this is a great opportunity for UConn to practice shutting down a team's best player and make the opponent go to plan b and c. I long for the MoJeff and Kia Nurse days where every team knew coming in that their best player was in trouble from the tip. That is a level of intimidation that gets in people's heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom