Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
To me, Clark, like Arike, don't have the game that works for the international game. They are so ball dominant that it hurts the flow of the offense. Last year Clark was the MVP of whatever she played in, but she was sort of a ball hog and a chucker in the games I watched.

And this isn't a knock on Clark, but that's her game.
Well, that includes being MVP of the U19 tournament, where she led the team in scoring and assists (39 assists to 17 turnovers in 7 games).

I do wonder what Clark would be like as a 2 guard with a real PG next to her. I'm thinking of how Ionescu's game really seemed to take off this year when they starter Dangerfield at PG. Ionescu still does a ton of the ball handling/playmaking, but it frees her up more to be a pure scorer.

Reaction Score
Well, that includes being MVP of the U19 tournament, where she led the team in scoring and assists (39 assists to 17 turnovers in 7 games).

I do wonder what Clark would be like as a 2 guard with a real PG next to her. I'm thinking of how Ionescu's game really seemed to take off this year when they starter Dangerfield at PG. Ionescu still does a ton of the ball handling/playmaking, but it frees her up more to be a pure scorer.
You might find out this year. Iowa snagged a fantastic PG transfer in Molly Davis.

Reaction Score
Well, there is a gaping hole in that position for USAB and has been since Maya walked away from the game, and her back up, Angel, has been injured. Stewie played the 3 at the Olympics last year, but that's not her position.

It's an odd choice, but I bet it's her experience at her position that will help out in camp as I doubt she will make the team.
I just didn't see Angel ever making an appearance for the national team again or even the WNBA due to her age/injury issues, it's nothing against her. I will say she wasn't my favorite player but performed better on the national team than I expected.

Small forward has been lacking for the team especially with Collier (understandably) not being in the fold. I suspect she was asked but turned it down to be with her family.

I said earlier the 5 returnees plus EDD will make it if they want. I also think Boston, Plum, Ionescu, and A. Gray get in. Beyond that I can't predict.

Reaction Score
To me, Clark, like Arike, don't have the game that works for the international game. They are so ball dominant that it hurts the flow of the offense. Last year Clark was the MVP of whatever she played in, but she was sort of a ball hog and a chucker in the games I watched.

And this isn't a knock on Clark, but that's her game.
I don't know about Arike, but Clark has extensive experience playing FIBA rules and competition. She's been on several gold medal FIBA teams already over the years. What you see at Iowa hasn't been how she's played when representing the US.

This is a big reason I think a lot of people think Clark is ball dominant (I'm guilty of it too). Clark has had to be the primary ball handler. The addition of Molly Davis from Central Michigan will help. I have more faith in Davis than some of the current starters from Iowa's roster in a PG role.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Now, wouldn't a Sue Bird / Breanna Stewart vs Lauren Jackson matchup be super sweet?

Reaction Score
McCoughtry? That's an odd one and I would be shocked if she made it but stranger things have happened.

The invitee list is......interesting. Not bad players at all but some who have skills I am less than a fan of an don't really scream National Team. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

The 5 returners will probably be locks and so will EDD if she wants/is able to go. It gets more interesting after that.

As of now, Angel actually cannot make it, but I suspect they extended an invitation to her because she has had good attendance at recent training camps and she might as well try to prove that she can still play to try to get a shot somewhere next season.

Player banned from participation in international competitions (National Teams):​

CountryPlayer's NameMen/Women
USAAngel Lajuane McCoughtry Woman

Reaction Score
As of now, Angel actually cannot make it, but I suspect they extended an invitation to her because she has had good attendance at recent training camps and she might as well try to prove that she can still play to try to get a shot somewhere next season.

Player banned from participation in international competitions (National Teams):​

USAAngel Lajuane McCoughtryWoman
Damn. Wasn't aware she was banned from international competition.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm confused about that because you'd think a player of that caliber (regardless of her age) being banned from international competition would have at least one news article about the why...but I can't find any. Or am I being dense?

Reaction Score
I'm confused about that because you'd think a player of that caliber (regardless of her age) being banned from international competition would have at least one news article about the why...but I can't find any. Or am I being dense?
I think that it is pretty recent. I check that page pretty often and have not see her or Sant-Roos listed in that section before Wednesday. FIBA is pretty behind on posting the arbitration cases that the current sanctions stem from, but presumably she owes money to a former club.

Reaction Score

USAAngel Lajuane McCoughtryWoman
Clearly I missed this. When was the alleged offense?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Anyone know if Angel’s international suspension had anything to do with the Lynx letting her go?

Reaction Score
Clearly I missed this. When was the alleged offense?
FIBA will release more at some point, but it seems likely to be when she signed for Turkey's Galatasaray in 2021 and then left. Presumably they took her to arbitration and she lost so she owes them some money. Erlana Larkins no-showed a contract and the resulting judgment basically ended her professional career after her she had no WNBA offers as she would have had to pay to clear up the issue and sign with a team outside of the United States. Teams threaten this when players leave unilaterally, but it is pretty rare for it to go all the way unless there is serious money involved. This past season, Gyor threatened Aari McDonald and Tenerife threatened Megan Walker and multiple other players.
Anyone know if Angel’s international suspension had anything to do with the Lynx letting her go?
Seems unlikely if she already signed a contract with them.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Interesting, wonder if these are all injury related?

Elena Delle Donne, Allisha Gray, Myisha Hines-Allen and Arike Ogunbowale will no longer attend training camp in Las Vegas.

Well, we know that Arike missed 7-8 (?) games at the end of the season and then tried to come back in the last game against the Sun, but was clearly not ready to do so. Don't think I'm making too much of a stretch to think she's not quite ready yet.

Her Dallas teammate, Gray, was playing monster minutes in Arike's absence and I hadn't heard of any injury.

As for Hines-Allen, don't know what's happening. Her WNBA coach (Thibault) is an assistant for U.S.A. and she's got a great chance to (at least) make an impression. I'll have to take a look around town to see if she's here and/or how she's looking physically (Hines-Allen was born in raised where I live).

Last edited:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Well, we know that Arike missed 7-8 (?) games at the end of the season and then tried to come back in the last game against the Sun, but was clearly not ready to do so. Don't think I'm making too much of stretch to think she's not quite ready yet.

Her Dallas teammate, Gray, was playing monster minutes in Arike's absence and I hadn't heard of any injury.

As for Hines-Allen, don't know what's happening. Her WNBA coach (Thibault) is an assistant for U.S.A. and she's got a great chance to (at least) make an impression. I'll have to take a look around town to see if she's here and/or how she's looking physically (Hines-Allen was born in raised where I live).
It's recently been announce Hines-Allen is undergoing surgery. (Later tweet corrects the surgery to be "partial patellar repair"

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It's recently been announce Hines-Allen is undergoing surgery. (Later tweet corrects the surgery to be "partial patellar repair"

Thx for letting us know!

Reaction Score
NBATV airing a Red-White intrasquad game at midnight tonight and a rebroadcast at 8 am.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
NBATV airing a Red-White intrasquad game at midnight tonight and a rebroadcast at 8 am.
My Cable Channel menu has the time as 10 PM, Eastern not midnight

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
USAB better hope that Wilson, Plum, Gray, Loyd, and Stewie all decide to play, because if not, there is no way this current team will win.
Why wouldn't they?

Reaction Score
I believe it's 10pm EST
Yes it is. Not sure how I saw it scheduled for midnight earlier today. My mistake. :oops:
The 8 am rebroadcast time is still right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom