Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1)

Reaction Score
You really have it out for her huh LOL

Can’t even hide the hate. I read this on another board where he/she said Boston is slow, won’t be able to defend WNBA 4’s/5’s, and her talent level is closer to Elizabeth Williams than Sylvia Fowles lol. I can’t make this up. She will definitely continue to prove the doubters wrong!

Reaction Score
I think posters on this forum and others have raised intriguing points about Boston’s lack of explosive athleticism compared to that of the W’s elite frontcourt players, but comparisons to Elizabeth Williams are laughable to me. Boston’s game is very refined and it’s rare to see her make a mistake on the court. She’s a lot like Bueckers in that sense despite their playing virtually opposite positions. She’s no 3-point bomber, but a post player of her size and strength probably shouldn’t be, and she’s plenty competent facing the basket from the paint to the arc.

She’s been arguably the best post defender in the country for most of her college career and showed off some downright dazzling post moves in the NCAAT this year. While the transition from college to pro game will be an adjustment, I think her game after 3 years of school is more complete than many of the 5 players in the W today.

She doesn’t compare well to Stewie or Wilson (I’m not sure anyone does, really) because she’s a different player and doesn’t possess that same rangey, ultra-mobile element that they do. But Fowles has carved out a magnificent career with very little in the way of midrange shooting and to date Boston shows a comfort doing that.

Reaction Score
This debate is giving me flash backs of what people thought of Rebecca Lobo in 1996. There's no way to tell as to whether Boston can compete at this level until she's given an opportunity to. Lobo did, maybe Boston can as well.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
And to think Boston is in the stratosphere of those players is laughable.
I don't think anyone thinks she is, but I do think USA basketball should incorporate younger talent earlier on in their career than they do now. The 11th/12th roster spots don't contribute a lot anyway and giving that spot to a younger player gets them more experience at the international level which is valuable in the future.

Reaction Score
This debate is giving me flash backs of what people thought of Rebecca Lobo in 1996. There's no way to tell as to whether Boston can compete at this level until she's given an opportunity to. Lobo did, maybe Boston can as well.
Did Lobo really ?

Reaction Score
Did Lobo really ?
Yes in my opinion. The recent 30 for 30 documentary on the Olympic team discussed it.

Coach VanDeVeer wasn't too thrilled to have her as part of the team. Some thought there were others more deserving especially because she hadn't played pro ball yet.

Throughout the process, she showed she could compete. Maybe not to the level she did later during her Olympic career but she did have some impact.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Angry-Black-Leaders.jpg

I'm definitely not here for any Elizabeth Williams slander... I'll tell you that right now.

Reaction Score
Yes in my opinion. The recent 30 for 30 documentary on the Olympic team discussed it.

Coach VanDeVeer wasn't too thrilled to have her as part of the team. Some thought there were others more deserving especially because she hadn't played pro ball yet.

Throughout the process, she showed she could compete. Maybe not to the level she did later during her Olympic career but she did have some impact.
Yeah lobo has had a great commentator career imio it overshadows her professional career. She was great for us we literally need to build her a statue but after injury her WNBA Career never matched the hype unfortunately . I think Boston's will .

Reaction Score
I think posters on this forum and others have raised intriguing points about Boston’s lack of explosive athleticism compared to that of the W’s elite frontcourt players, but comparisons to Elizabeth Williams are laughable to me. Boston’s game is very refined and it’s rare to see her make a mistake on the court. She’s a lot like Bueckers in that sense despite their playing virtually opposite positions. She’s no 3-point bomber, but a post player of her size and strength probably shouldn’t be, and she’s plenty competent facing the basket from the paint to the arc.

She’s been arguably the best post defender in the country for most of her college career and showed off some downright dazzling post moves in the NCAAT this year. While the transition from college to pro game will be an adjustment, I think her game after 3 years of school is more complete than many of the 5 players in the W today.

She doesn’t compare well to Stewie or Wilson (I’m not sure anyone does, really) because she’s a different player and doesn’t possess that same rangey, ultra-mobile element that they do. But Fowles has carved out a magnificent career with very little in the way of midrange shooting and to date Boston shows a comfort doing that.
People should just stop trying to compare players to Stewie, A'ja, and EDD. We have been very lucky to have 3 players with that type of talent come along in such a short time.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
USA Training Camp Roster Invitee's---Spoiler Alert only 2 UConn players invited

Reaction Score
USA Training Camp Roster Invitee's---Spoiler Alert only 2 UConn players invited

Was just about to post this. Hurts my soul Paige can't be there. Caitlin Clark should be there as well IMO. Maybe locks?: AA, AW,BS CG,EDD, JL, KP, JY.

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Training camp is 9/6-9/12.
So by Sept. 6th, you're looking at Game 4 of the WNBA semifinals. Game 5, if necessary, is Sept. 8th. [if the seeds hold, that's CT vs Chi and LV vs SEA).

So you have players from at least two teams who wouldn't be available until the world cup starts pretty much. They'll take Wilson/Plum/Stewart/Loyd whenever they can get them, but this might favor players who have the time to be there for training camp.

Reaction Score
I think Boston makes it. They want her to be prepared for the olympics to fill in for Fowles and probably Charles and BG if BG is still playing and back by then .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Boston's "peak"
Hey there's a Boston Peak in the North Cascades here in Washington. I haven't climbed it, but I've traversed right below it, and I've climbed its next door neighbor Sahale Peak.

Reaction Score
McCoughtry? That's an odd one and I would be shocked if she made it but stranger things have happened.

The invitee list is......interesting. Not bad players at all but some who have skills I am less than a fan of an don't really scream National Team. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

The 5 returners will probably be locks and so will EDD if she wants/is able to go. It gets more interesting after that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Boston makes it. They want her to be prepared for the olympics to fill in for Fowles and probably Charles and BG if BG is still playing and back by then .
Yup! She is clearly the center of the future. At this World Cup though, I expect to see Stewie at the 4 and Wilson at the 5.

Reaction Score
McCoughtry? That's an odd one and I would be shocked if she made it but stranger things have happened.

The invitee list is......interesting. Not bad players at all but some who have skills I am less than a fan of an don't really scream National Team. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

The 5 returners will probably be locks and so will EDD if she wants/is able to go. It gets more interesting after that.
Well, there is a gaping hole in that position for USAB and has been since Maya walked away from the game, and her back up, Angel, has been injured. Stewie played the 3 at the Olympics last year, but that's not her position.

It's an odd choice, but I bet it's her experience at her position that will help out in camp as I doubt she will make the team.

Reaction Score
Was just about to post this. Hurts my soul Paige can't be there. Caitlin Clark should be there as well IMO. Maybe locks?: AA, AW,BS CG,EDD, JL, KP, JY.
To me, Clark, like Arike, don't have the game that works for the international game. They are so ball dominant that it hurts the flow of the offense. Last year Clark was the MVP of whatever she played in, but she was sort of a ball hog and a chucker in the games I watched.

And this isn't a knock on Clark, but that's her game.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
If Chicago makes it to the finals, I'd be surprised if Copper makes the team, because why have someone show up as the tournament starts at a position where you can have A. Gray/R. Howard/A. Powers etc. On the same token, if CT makes the finals, are you going to save a spot for B. Jones when you could have Howard or Dolson or Boston?

In a "positive" for team USA, both Seattle and Vegas can't make the finals. I think the only players that are locked whenever they can make it or are Stewart, Loyd, Wilson, C. Gray, K. Plum. MAYBE J. Young and EDD (if she can do it with her health).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom