Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Who makes USA Roster for FIBA World Cup? (Sept. 22-Oct. 1)

Reaction Score
I wil be honest and say I forgot about Boston. It's been a few years since a college player was in the running for the team. I'd say she could be there and would benefit greatly from the experience.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
i don't know if she's ever played for USA Basketball in any capacity, but what about Natasha Cloud? Clearly one of the better PG in the WNBA currently.
I would love to see Cloud get a look; she has "some" USA basketball experience, and is an excellent distributor and defender: Natasha Cloud

I think people are sleeping on how good Brionna Jones is. She also would give the team something they won't have now that Fowles is retiring: a big body.

Reaction Score
I have no idea but I assume one has to actually play for the opposing country to be not eligible to play for the US.

USA basketball unfortunately may have missed out on Nneka's services when they went in other directions. I do think they should ask since Griner and likely EDD are not available this summer. She could of course say no and would be justified in saying so but it never hurts to ask. She may want a WC to go with her WNBA title and she would have a great shot on the USA team.

I always felt the 2020 (later 2021) Olympic team would be the transition squad from the older to younger generations. To an extent that happened but this WC squad will be even more of one.

The USA has a bevy of talent to draw from and Nneka unfortunately got on the outside looking in as have many others. I've never been a big fan of US born and raised players suiting up for other countries but I know why many have done it.

I don't think she can. After they left her off the team, I believe she decided to become a Nigerian citizen, so she can play for their national team.
Nneka already has two World Championships so it would certainly not be a new thing for her. She was already a Nigerian citizen before all of this so she still could play for the United States, but there would probably be too much pride to decide to return if it was offered. USA Basketball did not mind that Tiffany Hayes had played for Azerbaijan in non-FIBA competition when they brought her in for training camps.

i don't know if she's ever played for USA Basketball in any capacity, but what about Natasha Cloud? Clearly one of the better PG in the WNBA currently.
Cloud opted to take citizenship from Jordan and played for them last year so she is no longer an option.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Cloud opted to take citizenship from Jordan and played for them last year so she is no longer an option.

Hmm. Maybe Cloud could enter the International Transfer Portal. ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Given (all of) the mitigating circumstances -- ranging from retirements and quick turn-around from the Olympics to a new coach -- I think we'll primarily see familiar faces and, for those that are new, ones that have played in the WNBA. Some excellent posts already, I'll just add a few morning thoughts:

• SDS didn't play that much in 2021, but she was on the team and is now playing lights out this season. I see her joining Chelsea Gray.
  • Jewell Loyd did a lot of things for Coach Staley. Is she viewed the same way by Coach Reeve & committee? If so, she'll get a lot of time. Jackie Young is also a "what do you need" type of guard.
  • Tina Charles has always been a solid contributor to the U.S.A. and she knows the drill.
  • Can see Brionna Jones adding value here, but can also see Natasha Howard getting a call.
  • Will they pull a player from school for this? If so, I think Ms. Boston is the choice.
  • However, if you want to go young, Na'Lyssa Smith and/or Austin are folks that could be considered, if not this year, then next.
  • Lastly, many of the 3x3 could move to the 5x5 lineup: Plum, Young and Alisha Gray.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Quick question: Have either Sue or Sylvia stated that they will not play if USA asks them?

They are both retiring at the end of this year ... but that does not mean they could not play in the WC - they will still be in playing shape whenever camp starts having just played well in their WNBA season. Sylvia especially with her WNBA coach as HC may respond to a request - she is the muscle center with experience that this team could certainly use.

Reaction Score
Quick question: Have either Sue or Sylvia stated that they will not play if USA asks them?

They are both retiring at the end of this year ... but that does not mean they could not play in the WC - they will still be in playing shape whenever camp starts having just played well in their WNBA season. Sylvia especially with her WNBA coach as HC may respond to a request - she is the muscle center with experience that this team could certainly use.
Stop this.

Reaction Score
EDD really has been balling recently. And it's not like she's just hitting open 3s, she really looks like her superstar self. I'd love to see her on the team.
Is there going to be tryouts at all. I'd love for Clark, Paige and Boston to get a shot, though I think with the way Ionescu and SDS have played this season, they are probably all set with the guards. Can Sloot get a shot though. I truly believe she's one of the best pgs of all time.

Reaction Score
EDD really has been balling recently. And it's not like she's just hitting open 3s, she really looks like her superstar self. I'd love to see her on the team.
Is there going to be tryouts at all. I'd love for Clark, Paige and Boston to get a shot, though I think with the way Ionescu and SDS have played this season, they are probably all set with the guards. Can Sloot get a shot though. I truly believe she's one of the best pgs of all time.

I may be wrong, but hasn't she competed internationally for another country? If so, would she eligible to represent the USA afterwards?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Time to enter the transfer Portal ;)
Indeed. Sloot has given up her dream of leading Hungary to . . . something. Hungary (w/out Sloot) failed to qualify for the 2021 Eurobasket.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Indeed. Sloot has given up her dream of leading Hungary to . . . something. Hungary (w/out Sloot) failed to qualify for the 2021 Eurobasket.
I'd hope once they defected to another country, Sloot and Quigley would at least make it a priority to be available for qualifying tournaments so that they can play in the "real" tournaments. I thought they became Hungarian citizens specifically so they could play for the national team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'd hope once they defected to another country, Sloot and Quigley would at least make it a priority to be available for qualifying tournaments so that they can play in the "real" tournaments. I thought they became Hungarian citizens specifically so they could play for the national team.
The decision to become a Hungarian citizen was financial (club team). I believe CVS played once for the Hungarian national team at the 2017 Eurobasket. I don't believe she played for Hungary in 2019 or 2021.

Reaction Score

The decision to become a Hungarian citizen was financial (club team). I believe CVS played once for the Hungarian national team at the 2017 Eurobasket. I don't believe she played for Hungary in 2019 or 2021.
Yeah, usually these are contractually arranged so that the player plays a certain number of cycles with the national team in exchange for the citizenship, helping them increase their club salaries by not counting against limits against non-Europeans. Some of the wealthier federations can afford to pay better appearance fees for all of their players so players do want to continue to play. The only time there have been major issues is with Bulgaria on the men's side when they tried to force their naturalized players to show up for training camp by threatening to revoke their citizenship.

In Asia, it is generally a different case with the national paying the player directly each time they show up so Natasha Cloud got a solid chunk of change for playing for Jordan for two weeks.

Reaction Score

I have no problem with Lawson and think she's a brilliant mind, but.........isn't she still a little green as a coach to be serving as an assistant on the national team? For that matter same as being HC at strong D1 program but that's another topic.

Loved her as a player and an analyst but I could think of several coaches who would have been great choices (granted they may have been offered and passed).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I have no problem with Lawson and think she's a brilliant mind, but.........isn't she still a little green as a coach to be serving as an assistant on the national team? For that matter same as being HC at strong D1 program but that's another topic.

Loved her as a player and an analyst but I could think of several coaches who would have been great choices (granted they may have been offered and passed).
Maybe her stint as the 3X3 coach from the last Olympics gave her a big boost for inclusion on the coaching staff?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

USA BB tends to go with coaches who are/were in its orbit. Lawson played for USA BB and of course has coached the 3x3 team. Taylor recently coached the U18 team and was a court coach for the national team's camp on April. Thibault was on the national team's staff in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

As you correctly note, we don't know if others were offered and declined. '

Reaction Score

The coaches aren't my concern, playing in Australia, and not sure who will be able to play is a concern.
This is not the year to go from 32-36 games, and extend the playoffs.
If people like Stewie, A'ja, EDD are worn out and can't play well, we could lose.
Guess who will get the blame, the WNBA, and all the goodwill built up will be gone.

Reaction Score
Within about 30 seconds after I typed my message, I recalled she coached the 3X3 team, therefore does have coaching experience with USA BB. My apologies for my oversight and rapid keyboard reply.

Reaction Score
The very best of the best have played in FIBA Worlds collegiately...Breanna Stewart in 2014, Maya Moore in 2010, Candace Parker in 2006, and Chamique Holdsclaw in 1998. I don't know of any others for USA, but that's about as elite of a group as you'll find.
And to think Boston is in the stratosphere of those players is laughable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom